The Snow Globe

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

----------

Her daughter gave up ringing the doorbell and used her key. Opening the door, she called, "Mom? I know you said not to worry, but I just thought..."

She stopped dead as she entered the living room. The fire had burned out, the burgundy throw was on the floor by the chaise, the candles had guttered out in their own wax, and there on the hearth was a puddle of water and broken glass...and something else. She crossed to the hearth and knelt, recognizing the remains of the snow globe her mother had bought when they visited the antique store. She stood up quickly and went from room to room, searching, her heart pounding. Her mother was no where in the house. Gathering a whisk broom, dust pan, and small trash can, she returned to the living room to clean up the remains of the snow globe.

Once more she stopped dead, dropping everything on the floor. The snow globe was no longer broken, but was sitting intact on the small table by the chaise. Slowly, as if in a dream, she crossed to it. Sitting on the edge of the chaise, she picked it up. Gone was the castle inside, replaced by the scene of a roaring fire, beside which was a massive Christmas tree. Next to the tree, in front of a large window, stood a Man and woman. Each wore a robe and slippers, hers burgundy, His black. Their arms were around each other and they smiled, His dark head tilted to look down on her red- headed one. Around her neck the woman wore a choker of gold with a red heart dangling from the center.

Suddenly, the daughter smiled, a feeling of happiness coming over her. She had the overwhelming feeling that her mother was safe and content. After all, hadn't she been the one to insist that the snow globe was magic? Carefully, she replaced the globe on the small table. She folded the throw and laid it across the chaise. Turning out the lights of the Christmas tree, she left the room. She put the broom, dust pan and waste basket away, and, locking the door behind her, she left the house, stepping out into the snowy Christmas morning with a smile on her face and tears of joy on her cheeks.

12