The Songbird

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Before I left Istanbul I telephone the Turkish Commercial Bureau, and eventually spoke to someone who had English. He confirmed my contacts opinion. When I arrived home I would be having a rather heated conversation with the people in the Department of Trade, who had suggested that I contact that particular mill. Their information was sadly unreliable.

I landed at East Midlands airport and having retrieved my luggage and car drove home to Hulland Ward. It was good to be home and breathe the cool air of Derbyshire. The first thing I met when I went upstairs to pack was a pair of very frilly, very minimal, lilac panties laying on my bed. Cate had used my post-it note pad, leaving a message for me. 'Next time I shall wear them and you can take them off'. Having just delighted in the cool air, I was very warm again.

As my trip to Turkey had been far more abbreviated than I thought I had some free time for the remainder of the week. Having made certain that I would have the samples of new product from the mills in northern France and Belgium I could now start making appointments to show the new designs to my customers. This took very little time as they were as keen to see the designs as I was to show them. My travels around England were starting again. On Thursday I picked up Ellie from Derby station. She started talking about her time spent with Cate in London the moment she got in the car and didn't stop until we got back to the cottage, when she asked. "Are you serious about Cate, Dad?"

I had been thinking about this for some time now and really my answer should be yes. But I really needed to know how Cate felt. We had bantered about our relationship, but I was not someone who could get into and out of a relationship at the drop of a hat. I equivocated by replying to Ellie. "I am very fond of her."

I could tell by Ellie's expression that this was not enough for her, but thankfully she did not press me on this point. However I was certain that she would re-visit the topic later. Ellie was a woman after all! I was right. Later that evening she was telling me how she was accosted by some Hooray-Henry after she had gone out to a club. "This idiot jumped into the taxi I had flagged just after I had got in. He coolly told the cabbie to take the young lady to wherever she wanted and then said he could take him on to where he wanted to go. He turned to me and said that he would pay the fare and was sure that I wouldn't mind. Dad I was flabbergasted. The cabbie had started away so I sat there clutching my handbag as if it were the crown jewels. This floppy-haired chancer was chatting away as if this was nothing extraordinary. We got to the block of flats where Cate lived and he got out of the cab after me. I asked him what he was doing and he said that as he was paying my fare the least I could do was to invite him up for a while. Suddenly Paul the porter was there. Cate had introduced me to Paul when we first got there. He asked me if I was alright and did I need any help. The Hooray-Henry answered before I could and said that I had invited him in. Paul looked at me and I shook my head telling him that I hadn't. Paul seemed to be about six foot six and from that height he glowered down at the Hooray-Henry and told him to leave 'NOW'. The Henry went white jumped straight back into the cab and off it went. I hope he had a big fare to pay."

I was smiling at her story although I was a little concerned that she took such a chance. Ellie went on. "Do you know about Paul. Dad?"

"Cate did say once that he is intimidating."

"Intimidating? Dad he's built like the proverbial brick s..."

"Ellie!"

"Sorry dad, but you know what I meant. He's huge. An ex-sergeant in the Royal Marines and he can give you a look that would stop cows giving milk. The Hooray-Henry would have lost his ardour after the look that Paul gave him."

"Well I am pleased that he did, but Ellie you shouldn't have gone out to a club on your own."

"I didn't dad. Jacqui, one of the other students at Durham lives in London and I had phoned her when Cate invited me down for a few days. She phoned and asked if we could get together at this club. She hooked up with this bloke whilst we were there so I decided to go back to Cate's when she disappeared with him. Anyway Cate is much better company than Jacqui." She paused for a moment and I knew she was going to return to her conversation of earlier. "I really like her, dad. It would be great if you and she got together. It's not as if I want a step-mother, but she is so much more attuned to my ideas and likes than mum or Roger. Beside that you have been on your own for too long. I worry about you, dad. I want to see you happy and with someone who loves you as much as I do. Cate does love you, you know."

"You deduce that from what four or five days with her?"

"I don't have to deduce that. Cate as good as told me."

Now that startled me. Putting aside that my daughter, like many women will read far more into things people say that was actually intended. I doubted that Cate would have said such as plainly as Ellie suggested. I decided that I needed to put a cap on this train of thought. "Ellie. Whatever happens between Cate and me, let us make the decisions. I'm saying that I am really fond of Cate, and we could become a couple if we both feel that way. However that is our decision to make in time when we feel it is right. Your eloquence will not persuade me one way or the other."

"You're right, dad. I shouldn't interfere. Just make sure you make the right decision."

"I suppose that the right decision is the one you advocate?"

"Of course, dad." She smiled sweetly at me.

Cate

Ellie was fun and the expression on her face when I left those panties on Jack's bed was priceless. She picked them up and looked at the label. "Bloody hell. Agent Provocateur, they cost a fortune and you're leaving them here?"

I smiled. "Just a little message for your dad."

Ellie replaced the panties saying. "That's not a little message, it's a come and get me and take me to bed message"

"Exactly!" I rejoined.

She was like a kid with a new toy when we got to my flat. First of all it was London, which was a magnet for pretty well all young people, secondly it was in Chelsea, which according to the grapevine at Durham was where everything happened and thirdly a penthouse flat in Chelsea was the dream of many. Having lived there for many years I did not subscribe to those feelings but could enjoy Ellie's exuberance. Yet all that week I was on tenterhooks waiting for Jack to get back. I knew he would fly in to East Midlands so there was little chance of his calling in to the flat, but just knowing he was back in the country gave me a sense of security. It was only when I understood that feeling that I realized how far my feelings for Jack had gone. It was silly, we hadn't met that much although we had talked a lot on the phone, yet I had this emotional attachment to him, more than any I had felt before for any man. By coincidence the evening Ellie opted to go out and meet her friend, Jack phoned.

"How was Turkey?" I asked him.

"Hot, uncomfortable and in the end a waste of time. I hardly slept at all. However I liked Turkish cuisine and their coffee is on a par with the French."

"Don't let them hear you say that." I laughed with him.

"I didn't get to see the mills, their representatives came to me. I suspect they didn't want me to see their operation, probably thinking that I would regard it as very primitive. Business was conducted in a very leisurely way. Lots of coffee and enquiries about health and family. They were quite concerned that I wasn't married and seemed to be making arrangements for me to meet one or two of their female relatives. At that point I had to tell them that I was promised to someone. They seemed disappointed at that. I think they wanted to foist off one of their unmarried sisters or cousins."

I giggled as I asked Jack to whom he was supposed to be promised. The answer made my heart jump. "Well I was thinking of you." I couldn't say anything and he went on. "I am pissed off as I could have been back for the weekend and seeing you, which would have been far superior to Istanbul."

I could hear the frustration in his voice. "Well now I understand that your trip was superfluous I am pissed off too. Ellie was great company, but not the company that I would have wished."

"Well we will have to arrange another time soon. How are you fixed for the weekend after this?"

"I don't care if I have anything, I shall cancel and I will be there with you. I have decided that we are more important than anything else at this time."

"I think you are right. Same arrangements as before?"

"Yes, except that I don't want to sleep alone."

"I don't think that I was going to offer you a choice."

I caught my breath and had another of those nether region moistening. I tried to keep my voice level as we continued to talk but it was difficult. After we had finished chatting I sat back and thought. I decided that I had to stop fluttering around this thing with Jack. I knew how I felt and from what Jack was saying I felt quite sure how he felt. One of us would have to garner the courage to make that declaration. I hoped it would be Jack. However I would if Jack didn't.

My new career seemed to be getting into stride. I had signed up with a new agent who was recommended as being honest and straight. There's not many of those in this business. Steve was happy with him as well and the agent had got us one or two good bookings. He phoned me the day after Ellie had gone back to Derby. "Kat. How are you and Steve situated for the Saturday the 17th. Of November? I know that I haven't booked anything for you, but you may have without letting me know."

"Well I am free, but I'm not sure about Steve. Why? Have you got something for us?"

"Possibly. That's the Saturday that 'Strictly Come Dancing' does the show at the Tower Ballroom in Blackpool. They are asking if you and the band could do the interval spot. It's recorded and then shown during the results programme."

I was bowled over. That booking could really get us going. "Dave, I am sure that we can do it. Hell if we had a booking I'd cancel to get there. I'll call Steve and get back to you today."

"Make it quick, Kat." I would like to confirm within the next twenty-four hours. You haven't even asked about the money. It's a good job you have me to look after things. It's at the top end of your rate, so no problems there."

"I'll be back to you as soon as I can."

Steve was bursting when I told him, although it put him in a spin. He had to contact his musicians to make sure they were available. The guys and girls in the band all had other work doing session work in the studios, however it would seem that a weekend in Blackpool and a chance to sparkle on this spot was worth a lot more than the money they would earn. Steve came back with a positive and I phoned Dave to confirm that we would be there. Steve had also suggested that we needed some backing singers. I was a little uncertain about this, but when Steve said that we needed the extra voices to fill and create the right sound I had to agree. He was one of the best musicians around and if he thought it was right I wasn't going to argue. He said he had worked with a combo of three, two girls and a guy. "They are good, Kat; they know what they are doing." Our travel and hotel costs were rising with every booking and our asking price was going up as well. I hope we could satisfy the audiences.

It took Dave a couple of days to get back to us with confirmation of the booking. I phoned Jack to tell him. "Cate that is the most marvellous news. I shall make sure I watch that. It would be so good to see you and the band doing your stuff."

I suddenly realised that Jack had never seen nor heard us live. I immediately felt guilty. Jack had inspired this whole re-emergence of my career and without meaning to, I had cut him out of the excitement. "If I can get you a ticket, could you come up to Blackpool for the show?"

"I would love to Cate. However I doubt that you could get me a ticket. I think that show is over subscribed. Try if you wish by all means. If it is a 'no go' let's try for another venue, I am certain that you will be getting more bookings after you have done 'Strictly'."

Steve, the band and I got together for rehearsal the following week. We tried various numbers and eventually settled on 'I know why and so do you'. Another Glenn Miller number. Steve was right. The backing singers filled in very well and also gave a contrast to my voice. One of the programme assistants at the B.B.C phoned to ask what we would be playing. I told her what we had decided on and she immediately asked what tempo. We were in the rehearsal studio at the time and I asked Steve. He shouted back to me 'Slow Foxtrot'. The girl heard him and said that would be fine, as they would get one of the professional pairs to dance at the same time. There would be more rehearsals before we were ready, however we weren't being rushed as we had four weeks to get it right. With this booking Kat Lacey and the Stela Swing band could really take off. Now I had another reason to thank Jack for giving me a signpost to a new career.

CHAPTER TEN

Cate

I got to Derby station late on the Friday evening. I was tired after a hectic day and a little bit grumpy as the train was crowded. I had booked my seat, but some guy was sitting there when I got on. He refused to move, saying that he had paid for his ticket and that guaranteed a seat. Eventually the ticket inspector came along and asked him to move. "Or else, Sir, I shall have to ask the railway police to remove you from the train." The man remained obdurate. The ticket inspector then asked me for my ticket and proclaimed loudly enough for the occupant of my seat to hear that he was upgrading my ticket to first class. The look on the interlopers face was priceless, if he had been co-operative it could well have been him who was upgraded to first class. The inspector picked up my case and led me through to the more luxurious seating and seated me comfortably at a window.

I was so pleased to see Jack waiting for me and more so as he folded me into his arms and kissed me. "Now that's how a girl likes to be greeted." I told him with a smile.

"Is that just at stations or can it be used at other times?"

"About every five minutes or so will do fine."

As the evening moved on and it got closer to the time we would go to bed I was overcome with shyness. I was amazed that I should feel that way, the emotions of a young virgin anticipating her first man. Jack would not be my first, nor would I be his first woman, yet the thought of our encounter instilled fluttering in my stomach and symptoms akin to hyperventilating. We were sitting closely together on the couch, snuggling his arm around me and my head resting on his chest. I was so pleased when Jack took my hand in his and confessed the same symptoms. "It's stupid, I know. After all we have bantered about our sleeping together and now it is becoming reality I am getting scared...Scared that I will not be good enough for you."

I shook my head. "I was having the exact same fears. I don't view you as a one night stand. I am hoping that whatever we have going for us will be for the rest of our lives. If all we do tonight is sleep in each other's arms that will be good enough for me. We have a long time ahead of us to get it right."

He smiled lasciviously. "Oh I doubt that you will remain unsullied. I love you Cate and I want this to be for the rest of our lives also."

"Good." I smiled. "I love you too, Jack."

Happy was the word. Happy that we had cleared that up. Happy that Jack loved me as I loved him and happy that he anticipated many years together. I reached up and kissed him. "Give me ten minutes. A girl needs to make herself ready."

"So do us blokes Cate. Would you like some Champagne?"

"Oh quite the experienced seducer?"

"Not exactly. Isn't champagne the drink for any important moment in our lives?

"In that case, yes please, champagne is perfect."

Jack and I went very well together. Actually we went perfectly together because there was more emotion than I could have believed possible. Jack had given me slightly more than the ten minutes I asked for and I was thankful for that as I changed my mind about what I should wear for him. Eventually I slipped on a silk pyjama top, just closing one button. I didn't bother with the bottoms as they may have been too fiddly to remove. I waited for him in his bed. He had obviously thought ahead as when he came into the bedroom he was wearing a short silk dressing gown so he must have taken that down with him earlier. He carried two flute glasses and the bottle of Piper Heidsieck. I remained tremulous until the moment Jack got into bed beside me and took me in his arms. At that moment all the fluttering anticipation vanished. It felt so right to be here with him and in his arms.

I awoke the next morning happily still in Jacks arms, except I was naked the pyjama top discarded. I smiled ruefully to myself. I bought the pyjamas especially for this occasion and they were quite expensive. I think I wore them for about twenty minutes in all, but they performed their purpose. A woman loves the feeling of her lover removing her covering, she loves his expression as he sees her body, bending down to kiss where a woman loves to be kissed. Jack was a considerate lover taking his time to arouse me and allowing me to climb that hill to ecstasy on more than one occasion, then he became demanding of me and I willingly submitted to him, not unselfishly as when he cried his pleasure I cried with him.

I lay there thinking back over the night and squirmed with the memories of the pleasure he had given me. I felt him stirring and his hand closed over my breast. This was how I wanted to wake up every morning. "Good morning, Cate. If I didn't say it too many times last night, I love you."

"You can say it as often as you want, my darling. I shall never get tired of hearing you say that. I love you, and this bed of yours. It is very comfortable and I slept very well. That may have been because I was very, very satisfied."

"Our bed, Cate. Our bed as often and whenever you want to be here."

"I think that will be often, Jack. No one has given me more pleasure than you. You know that us girls have a name for guys like you."

"No."

"Yes. You are a lady pleaser. However I shall keep that my secret, as I don't want another woman encroaching on my man."

"I thought that women dislike the appellation 'lady' now."

I giggled and hugged him. "I'm going to let you into a little secret. These bumps on my front pressing into your chest are sometimes referred to as my girls and that place that you kissed and where you and I joined so pleasurably is known as my little lady. So when I said lady-pleaser you know what part of me you pleased."

"Ah! I get it now. Well if I am it has something to do with how I feel about you. Have I told you this morning that I love you?"

"Yes you have. However if you want to say it again and again I shall not stop you. I could hear that all the time and never get bored."

Jack leaned over and kissed me gently. "I have to go to the bathroom, I'll not be long."

"Oh and I thought that was my doing."

He grinned. "Wait till I get back."

While Jack was in the bathroom I kicked the duvet away and posed seductively. The sound of the flush warned me of his imminent return. He saw me and smiled. "God Cate. You are so beautiful." Those words thrilled me, but even more thrilling was the physical evidence as magically his desire grew from slumber into tumescence. As I watched I caught my breath, so flattered that that just the sight of me could create that reaction. I sat up and reached for him.

1...456789