The Sorcerer of Azurai

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I see your dilemma." Nyris breathed, he didn't know what else to do. "But how is it that you washed up on my island?"

"Your island?"

"What is your name?"

"Sage Plumeria. Who are you?"

"Nyris."

Sage's face froze for a second. Nyris didn't grin at the recognition of his name "I see that you've heard of me."

Sage moved further up the couch from him "I'm sorry...I just..I've heard of you, but-

"You didn't think I was real? I am over nine hundred years old."

"No, I just...never imagined you to look so...human."

That too wasn't a surprise. Nyris was depicted in texts as this raven haired, starry eyed magician who had the powers of a god. The descriptions were always similar as time passed, those who had seen him basically went on imagination. At night his hair did fade in the background of the sky, so it could be seen as black. And his eyes were bright, they also changed colors as well.

"I'm sorry if what was written about me turned out to be incorrect. Also, I am not a god."

"I know." Sage said quietly "I've always had a love of reading, reading about myths, history, artifacts. I read that you were a sorcerer, who was praised as a deity."

"Yes, I was. Did the text give you any clarities about the offerings given to me?"

Sage nodded "Women, wine, valuable objects, gold, silver-

"All the wonders that any man would be complete with. But I turned them all away."

"Why?"

Nyris wrinkled his nose "Did your precious texts not tell you? I have no use for such meaningless items."

"People aren't meaningless."

"Those who would sell themselves for selfish reasons are." Nyris scowled "Don't presume to know people from first glance. Your naiveite will end in your ruin."

Sage held a hand to her side "I'm sorry if I upset you. I haven't thanked you for treating my wounds-

"Keep your apology. It won't do either one of us good." Nyris went to his shelf "Are you hungry?"

"Oh, um, yes. I know I'm imposing-

"You can save all the formalities, you're no longer home Sage." Nyris grabbed a bowl and cut up fruit he had harvested in it and handed it to her, giving her one utensil, a spoon.

"You eat fruit medleys with a spoon?"

"I can conjure a fork, but you can still eat it whether you have one or not."

Sage frown accepting the bowl "I'm sorry, thank you for your hospitality, Nyris." Nyris himself wasn't very hungry and ate leisurely when he could. They sat there in the darkness, the only light being from nearby candles that hosted shadows casted by the furniture of the room. Once she was done she placed the bowl on the floor beside herself. Sage didn't realize how tired she was, and drifted off very quickly.

Nyris sighed, he had a little princess to treat and feed. But she did answer his question, the one that no one in all his days of staying on that island ever could. He had no idea what he would do once she had healed completely, but for now he placed the bowl on a nearby table and went into to his room to sleep.

The next morning Nyris was still unsure and curious about the stranger now staying in his hut. Her scent reminded him of jasmine and honeysuckle. She had a vibrant glow to her skin which made him wonder was she just human alone. He would wait until she stirred from her slumber.

Nyris picked himself up off his bed to see Sage standing up near the window.

"Morning." Nyris greeted.

"Good morning, Nyris." Sage turned around and took a seat on the couch carefully, her wounds still ached.

"Your wounds still need looking after. I'd suggest cleaning them first, or cleaning entirely."

"Entirely? Are you saying I smell?"

Nyris smirked "If you stay in day old clothes you will."

"And what am I supposed to wear?"

"I can conjure another dress for you if it's an inconvenience."

Sage pouted, she looked like a little child for a moment, upset that their parent had refused to give them their way "How come you couldn't magically heal my wounds completely then?"

"They weren't life threatening. They're healing and that's what matters, no?"

"I don't understand. With powers like yours-

"With powers like mine I could do a number of things." Nyris felt himself heat up from the annoyance. It was like he had thought, she was completely clueless. Sage's eyes started to widen as she watched Nyris' navy hair turn a fiery orange, his eyes were blood red and his entire body was radiating a red mist.

"I don't need everything." Nyris sneered "I don't need to tax the powers of nature for things that I can craft with my own two hands. Do you know how ridiculous you sound when you start off with: With powers like yours?"

Sage became very quiet watching as he settled, his hair turned back to it's original color, so did his eyes, and the mist dissipated as well.

"Sorry."

"It's no matter. You don't know about magic, the costs and transgressions that come with it. Do you?"

Sage nervously back away again unsure how to answer him "No."

Nyris released a sigh "If you were near death, yes I would have used my powers to restore you. But being as the wounds are not so deep, I decided to treat you the way I know how. Do you have an issue with that?"

She shook her head "No, I was just...I'm sorry."

Nyris looked her up and down, so frail an jittery. "Where are you from?"

"Dawntis."

"The city shone in daylight. Never a dark night, always sunny."

"Then I moved with my father to the city of Lapise."

In his day no one was ever brave enough to travel to another village, in fear of the robbers, the vicious wildlife, and of course beings who possessed powers. Nyris' mother had once thought to chance it, but after seeing neighboring friends attempt to cross the roads to a safe haven nearby, she had given up. The entire family, father, mother, elder sister, and younger brother were torn apart by dire wolves (mutated wolves enhanced by magic that flowed through the air from a witch or sorcerer).

"And what of your mother?"

Sage looked down biting the skin of her lip "She's with her new husband in Clarcel."

Nyris understood that not all relationships worked out and that it was fine to try and find new love and try again, but it seemed odd to him that she was so far from where her daughter lived.

"She and my father had opposite views. They separated when I was thirteen."

"So she's not in your life?"

"Not really, what about- Sage stopped herself, it was rude to ask knowing that his family had already long passed.

"My mother..." Nyris began not really caring whether she asked or not, it wasn't a secret "I look like her. At least hat's what my father said, that I had her tresses, her mysterious eyes. She was a beautiful woman, very kind."

"How did she die?" Sage's voice became lighter as she asked the question.

"She and my father were killed by a tribe of...inferior men. They raided the entire village when I was still a child. Pale skin, paler than yours, skin that could match the whitness of the moon."

"Why?"

"Why? Because our village was a peaceful one, we had our few oddities, magic users, seers, but we never outed them or tried to shun their abilities. Being as young as I was I couldn't do much. They threw burning pieces of wood at our homes, much like the one we're standing in."

"Smoked everyone out, and under the dark haze they killed the ones who held the most power, the seers, the magicians. But I was told not to show my powers, by one of our elders. And the village was consumed."

Memories of blood and flame clouded Nyris' vision, his parents slain bodies being dragged to a large kindling pile, where they burned and turned into the smog above his head.

"Swords." Nyris said "And fire, and ash. I was taken in by a friend of my mother's, Larcinia. She became my guardian, my friend, and my mentor. In private we'd sneak off into a small sector of wood in the village to practice magic."

"Was she special?" Sage's orange colored eyes clung to his "You said her name so delicately, like reciting poetry."

"She was." Nyris smiled remembering "Music too. Once the clan took over our home, she was sought after by every man present, and was eventually arranged with the chief's son. I didn't understand why she allowed herself to be married off."

"To be...touched by that beast. But as I grew older I understood, we do what we must to survive. Not only for ourselves, but for others. I had stayed in her home with him in all that time, we never spoke. He would eye me from across the room and blink. That was all the communication that we had."

Nyris sat down on the couch beside Sage "She was the first woman that I ever fell in love with. When her husband died in a small battle, I was overjoyed. I had her as my mentor up until I was eighteen years old."

"What happened after then?"

"I left home."

Sage made a face, not really understanding.

"I learned all I could, and even though I had loved her I realized that she would never be content in leaving our people behind. I wanted to grow and I wanted her with me, but she refused. She urged me to find my freedom, gain a sense of pride, find happiness."

"Did you ever return?"

"No, I was too afraid. Ashamed for leaving her, my people, but if I had returned what if she were dead? Remarried? I pushed such feelings down and traveled, learning what I could gaining experiences from all over."

"So it is true, you did cut yourself off from the world, because of us."

"To cut myself off from humans, I did." Nyris stretched his arms a bit before asking "Are you all human?"

Sage gave a small smile "No, most people don't realize that."

"I knew upon looking at you." She blushed, she really wasn't used to a man's gaze, poor thing.

"I'm not exactly sure what I am. My mother is something, she would never tell what. Sometimes I guessed that she was a fairy or a nymph. But she refused to tell me. She wanted me to stay on the human path, even though I know no other path."

Nyris just shook his head, not understanding why her mother wouldn't want her to understand her own powers, if she had any. Her parents were keeping her human, trying to tie her down, trying to keep her in their own little cell for their own purposes. It was unfair, noble or not. Nyris felt bad for her.

"Would you like breakfast?"

Sage shook her head "I'm not hungry. How long will it take for me to heal?"

"Not long. For now I can gather up some flowers to make a new dress for you."

"I could sew once upon a time, you know."

"What difference does that make now?"

"A needle and thread are pretty small."

"Leave this to me, Sage."

Sage crossed her arms fuming "How is it that I can't help out at all with my situation?"

"Because you're a little girl and you lack the skills that I have-

"I am a grown woman, thank you very much!"

Nyris grinned leaning closer towards her, only a few centimeters from her face, he could see the rose pigment rise in her cheeks, her hands shaking.

"Do you even know what that means?"

Sage shoved Nyris away clearly flustered "D-Don't be so perverted, it does not take...that to be a woman."

Nyris laughed at her "You can't even say the words."

"Just, because you're more experienced doesn't mean you know what it means."

"I do, more so than you. If making love for the first time doesn't make you a woman then please inform me on what dose?"

"Y-You're being very rude right now."

Nyris leaned his cheek against his hand "I was joking. Come on, you need to bathe."

Nyris took her hand in his, her'swas petite, soft to touch. "What? Where are we going?"

"Would you relax and trust me?"

Sage finally gave in and went with him, into the forest thicket, up a path near the stony cavern. Along the way Nyris had picked a few flowers in hand, he flicked his wrist gently in the air and the flowers transformed into a flowy pink dress with petals at the end of the skirt. It wasn't long or short, with no sleeves. In Sage's eyes it suited her, very cute.

Sage watched as the water roared above their heads and turned to Nyris.

"So..."

Nyris wasn't getting the hint.

"Do I just change out here with you watching?"

Nyris shrugged "I can go for walk for a few minutes, think you'll be done before then?"

"Yes."

Nyris handed her the dress and turned around and started his small nature trail along the roots of the trees. Being cautious enough to walk over the flowers, untangle himself from a few low hanging vines, and sitting in patches of grass near the small stream at the edge of the forest that lead back out into the sea. After ten minutes he decided to walk back, he wanted to bathe as well.

Nyris took his time making his way back to the waterfall. But Sage had seemed to disappear from eye view. Did she fall into the pond? Nyris stepped closer towards the edge of the waterfall, looking up he could see her.

Really see her. He could see the small curves that her body gave off. Round and plump milky breasts, rose colored nipples that were pert. They were like small gumdrops, she had her eyes closed as the water ran down her body, over her rotund buttocks, down her thighs. She glimmered in the light as she swung her damp unbraided hair over her shoulder to get the water to really clean her neck.

Nyris was a bit impressed, he had seen a woman's body before, he knew the anatomy. So seeing her wash in the open did not get him to stir on the inside. He even turned around, sitting on the semi-wet grass and waited patiently for her to finish.

"Hey." Nyris turned around to see her in the pink dress, and started taking off his shirt "You're getting in too?"

"Yes." Nyris knew that Sage was too shy to deal with a man undressing in front of her so he washed further away into the waterfall where she could not see him, and used he magic to turn leaves on a nearby branch into clothing that he changed into.

"How are you wounds?" Nyris asked as they started to walk back towards the beach.

"A little sore. Thanks. You did use your magic when you first treated me."

"A little." Nyris admitted "When you're healed will you go back home? To your father?"

"I told you that I can't." Sage balled up her fists.

"No, you don't want to." Sage looked at him, but he kept his eyes straight ahead "You feel trapped by the opulent wealth, the authority over you."

"It's selfish, I know-

"Everyone is a bit selfish. Shaming yourself won't do anything to change that. I don't think that it's selfish to want to find your own happiness, forge your own way. But you still have much growing to do."

"Now you sound like my father." Sage groaned "He told me that being beautiful was not good enough unless my beauty could outshine the sun, that being the smartest girl in my class was not enough to win me respect and a-

"Your father sounds pompous to me. Yes, beauty is not everything, but I'm sure even before your lord offered his hand that you had suitors lined up."

"I didn't care then and I don't care now. If all I am is a face then I wish I didn't have one."

"Curve your tongue." Nyris glared down at her "It's a harsh reality that those who are considered beautiful are often those to rise further and faster in life, but it's also gift."

"If it only attracts those who'd rather see me than know me, wouldn't that be called a curse?"

"Hm, you like to argue. Most women like being beautiful."

"What about what's in my head, not about what my face or body looks like?"

"Ask your fellow man. You're bright, you know more than those you'd call peers?"

"Yes."

"A full mind, and yet you are still inexperienced. You spoke about your parents, but did you have any friends?"

"Did you?" Sage grumbled "People thought that I was odd, interested in the wrong things."

"People can be stupid, I had some in several time periods. They passed, battle, illness, old age."

"I wonder if I'll ever age."

Nyris smiled "If only you could memorize all that you have read and figure out what you are besides half human."

"If only. I've heard of sirens, mermaid, vampires-

"I doubt that you are any of those creatures. You have a softer aura than they do."

"You've met a mermaid, a siren?"

"There are some that lurk among the rocks at shore. They pop up every now and then, but I placed a barrier spell to keep them out. They're annoying little insects that wish to drown and consume any person they see."

"They sing to lull their victims into a stupor."

"Their powers have never worked on me, so they opt to talk to me to death, flirt, try to lure me into the water."

"Are they pretty?"

"Gorgeous, but ironically very shallow." Sage laughed at the joke and was relieved to finally see the shoreline ahead. She sauntered out towards the sands and looked out at the masses of blue, wondering was it right if she wanted to stay here. Could she stay? What would happen to her parents? They'd live off the riches that they already had, and worry about their daughter, possibly.

"Don't stay out here too long or you'll get sunburn." Nyris left her there and retreated inside where he prepared himself a snack to eat. When he was finished he checked to see if Sage was still there. She was. Tears fell down her eyes as she stared into the distance. It was hard to leave home, even harder when you realized that it was no longer your home.

In the morning Sage got up and wandered on her own, she remembered the path to the waterfall and cleansed herself again, her mouth and body, all. In the nude she came down to the pond to wash her dress. Knowing that the sun would eventually dry it she put it back on, it was cold, but she didn't worry.

She walked back towards the sandy shores where she saw the most beautiful shell sitting on the beach, as she reached out to get it something splashed her with water.

"What the-

"Hello." A voice called to her, it was definitely feminine.

"Who's calling?" Sage turned around to see no one.

"Over here, slowpoke." Sage turned to see a woman laying out one of the huge rocks in the water, her skin was coral, her hair was a wave of seafoam, but her tail it was chartreuse with silver scales. She wore nothing over the top part of her body and let her wavy hair cover her chest.

Sage was fascinated by the mermaid, but also suspicious. She backed away inch by inch.

"I won't hurt you. I swear." The woman smiled gracefully "I know Nyris."

"Oh. That's nice." Sage edged away.

"My name is Piper, what's yours?"

"Um-

"No, wait." She said holding her hand out "I remember when Nyris said it the other day. Sage. That's a lovely name."

"Thank you." Sage knowing how deceitful mermaids could be still kept her distance, she wouldn't fall for her flattery.

Piper ran her fingers through her hair "You're very pretty."

"No..." Sage grabbed at the hem of her skirt "If I'm pretty then you're-

"Ravishing?" Piper twirled her finger in her hair smiling "Simply divine? Why thank you, Sage. I see that our island god has taken an interest in you. I wonder how he'd describe your beauty."

"Oh, no." Sage shook her head "Nyris just helped me-

"Out of the kindness of his heart, yes. He can be so cold, but with you he warmed up. Has he taken your maidenhood yet?"

"W-what?" Sage knew her face was as red as a spiced tomato.

Piper flipped her tail up and back down against the rock as if tapping her foot.

"I see, you've never felt the weight of a man down on you. Have you?"

"That's neither here nor there, that is-

Piper yawned before turning back to her, was she doing this to get a rise? How inconsiderate, rude, how frustrating it was not to be able to have a witty comeback.

"I've always wondered, you know. With all of his forms."

"Forms?"

"Yes, his nature forms. Sometimes when he gets mad at me and my sisters his entire head turns red and orange, his eyes are like fire, and he starts to melt everything around him. Even the sand. Like molten lava."