The Spy Who Loved Me Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I must have dozed off, because the next thing I knew was Suleika's voice calling softly from the doorway. "Tim? Jenny? Time to eat."

I called an acknowledgement and kissed Tim gently on the cheek. He opened his eyes, and again I marvelled at his ability to wake instantly.

"Dinner's ready," I said quietly.

Tim got to his feet and stretched out his hands to help me up. I looked at him.

"You're a bit rumpled, but you'll do."

He grinned. "OK."

We went out into the dusk, feeling again the welcome breeze generated by the wind tower. The scene that met us was magical; lamps were hung around the courtyard, and a rug had been spread out by the fountain. Cushions were scattered at the edges of the rugs, and a brazier flickered under a large dish at the centre.

Suleika patted the rug. "Come, sit. Grandmother's gone to bed, so it's just us."

Tim and I shared a large cushion, and I leaned against him. He glanced at Suleika, and she nodded. Tim raised his hand as I'd seen the sheikh do the previous day, and spoke briefly in Arabic, then lowered his hand.

"Was that some kind of blessing?" I asked in a low voice.

Tim nodded. "It's traditional for the eldest man present to give it before a family meal."

"They must really feel comfortable with us," I whispered back.

"Come, eat," urged Suleika. Tim took a large flatbread and tore it in half, handing it to me. "Dip a piece in the dish."

I did as he instructed, taking a bite of the bread. "Mm, delicious."

We took our time eating, and as I leaned back against Tim I glanced across the courtyard, seeing something white moving at the top of the stairs.

Suleika followed my glance, and gave an indulgent smile. "Aki, you can come down for a minute," she called softly.

The child came down the stairs in her cotton nightshirt, her feet bare. She rubbed her eyes. "Can I have some bread?"

Suleika nodded. "Jenny will help you."

I took another piece of bread, and dipped morsels in the dish for Akilah. "Mm," she said, "that's tasty."

She settled against my stomach as I fed her, and Tim reached down to tousle her hair gently. "Saghir malak," he said softly. "Little angel."

She murmured, and turned, resting her head on me. Suleika threw me a glance.

"Don't worry," I said. "She can doze there for a bit if she likes."

Suleika nodded. "I'm afraid I can't offer the kind of entertainment my father gave last night," she said.

"Why don't you tell us a story?" I said. "Tim's probably heard them all, but I'd like to hear something you'd consider traditional."

Suleika thought for a moment. "Well," she said uncertainly, "there's a very famous story of two lovers, Layla and Majnun."

She went on to relate the doomed love of the two young people – Layla married off to another suitor, Majnun driven insane by his love for her.

When she'd finished her tale, Tim spoke up. "Thanks, Suleika. I think we should have something a little more upbeat next, though – that one reminds me too much of Romeo and Juliet."

He paused. "How about the story of Bayad and Riyad?"

Suleika grinned. "That's cheating – wasn't that really a courtly love story, more European than anything?"

Tim chuckled, causing the sleeping Akilah to stir for a moment. "OK, you got me there. I'll try again, though it'll be an old tale to you, Suleika."

"This is the story of Prince Camaralzaman and Princess Badoura," he began. I saw Suleika smile, and Akilah opened her eyes wide to listen.

Tim's tale ranged from Arabia to China, encompassing the prince and princess placed in a charmed sleep by contending spirits, their eventual marriage, the theft of a precious stone by a bird, the prince's pursuit of the bird while the princess disguised herself as him, and finally the prince's marriage to a second beautiful princess.

"The two queens lived in true sisterly harmony together, and after a time each presented King Camaralzaman with a son, whose births were celebrated throughout the kingdom with the utmost rejoicing," Tim concluded.

He glanced at Suleika, embarrassed. "I'd forgotten how that one ends."

She smiled. "Don't worry. Anyway, I'd better get the little one back to bed – I think she dropped off again about halfway through."

She stood, and lifted the sleeping girl into her arms. I felt momentarily cold at the loss of Akilah's warmth against me, then Tim wrapped his arms around me. We watched as Suleika climbed the stairs with Akilah, turning back to give us a final goodnight wave.

"Time for bed," said Tim, lifting me to my feet, and we walked back to our room.

I undressed, and Tim followed suit. "Brr," he said, "the cooling system is maybe a little too efficient."

"We'll just have to snuggle together to stay warm," I teased, getting into bed. He joined me, holding me close, and I wrapped my arms around him. "Still tired?" I asked, shifting my body against his.

He shook his head. "And what Suleika doesn't know, won't hurt her..."

***

12