The Stein Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Did you know him?" Tony asked.

"No. We didn't even look at each other as we passed. Anyway, when I got back to my car the girl jumps out of the other car and starts begging me to take her with me. I could see that she had a mouse under her eye and I figure her boyfriend must have hit her so I told her to get in my car and we left before her boyfriend came out of the store.

"She was pretty shaken up. I asked her where she wanted to go and she asked if I would take her somewhere she could get a cup of coffee. The only place we could find open that time of night was a Denny's. We got a booth and ordered two cups of coffee and then just sat there. Finally I asked her why her boyfriend had hit her. She told me that he wasn't her boyfriend. She said that she had gone out with him twice and he suddenly became very possessive. She said that earlier that night she was at a dance and was dancing with a friend when the guy came in and grabbed her by the arm and dragged her out of the place.

"She said that he made her get into his car and then he started accusing her of cheating on him. When I saw them at the gas station she was trying to explain to him that they weren't going steady so she could dance with or see anyone she wanted. That was when he hit her. When he went into the store to buy cigarettes she jumped out of the car and asked me to help her.

"We talked for a long time that night and then I took her back to her dorm. When I dropped her off she thanked me for helping her and then kissed me. I didn't know what else to do so I asked her out on a date.

"By the end of our first date I could tell that there really wasn't any connection between us. I would have ended it right then but I sensed that she wanted me to ask her out again so I did. It was on our third or fourth date that we both realized we were going nowhere. We parted as friends."

"Did you remain friends?" Tony asked.

"I think we would have but I just didn't see her very often after that. I saw her on campus a few times over the next month or so but never saw her after that."

"Who was the guy that hit her?" Tony asked.

"I don't know. I don't remember if she ever told me his name."

"So, is there anything else you can tell me about Sarah Bowden?" Tony asked.

"No. This is the first time anyone has mentioned her name to me since college... No, wait a minute. Nicky asked me about her once, about a year ago."

"Why did she ask?"

"I don't know," I said. "It was just after she came back from Germany. I had fixed a romantic dinner to welcome her home and while we were eating Nicky asked me if I knew a Sarah Bowden."

"What did you tell her?" Tony asked.

"The truth. That I had dated her a few times during my junior year."

"And Nicky didn't tell you why she asked?" Tony said.

"Nicky said that someone told her to ask me if I knew her but she wouldn't tell me who asked," I said.

"Why was your wife in Germany?"

"She was a chaperone for a trip for the members of the German Club at the high school where Nicky teaches." I said.

"Who else was on the trip with her?"

"The German language teacher Carol Stanley and her husband Jack, the European History teacher Barbara Martin and her husband Cal, guidance counselor Janice Whiten and the physical education teacher John Parker," I said.

Tony's expression changed for a moment as if something I had said registered with him.

"Why didn't you go with your wife?"

"I was supposed to but I had to cancel out so I could go to a technical education conference in Denver that was scheduled the same week," I said.

"Has your wife ever mentioned Sarah Bowden again?"

"No."

"So that's everything?"

"Yes."

"I hope so." Tony said.

"What the fuck does that mean?" I said.

"I don't know if this Sarah Bowden has anything to do with this case, but it is a lead I have to follow so I am just hoping that you told me everything I should know about your relationship with her," Tony said.

I was hot. Was Tony insinuating that I had done something wrong with Sarah? I had thought he was a friend but now he was pulling this bullshit.

"Can you tell me now why you are asking me about Sarah?" I asked.

"Sorry, buddy, can't tell you anything at this time," he said.

"Why are you trying to find skeletons in my closet? I thought we were friends?"

"That's the problem with having a friend that's a cop. I still have to do my job," Tony said and hung up on me.

Doing his job? Bullshit. Someone was trying to derail the investigation by bringing Sarah into it. I couldn't imagine how she could possibly figure into this mess.

I spent the rest of the weekend relaxing. I spent a lot of time around the pool and the rest of the time reading books that Charlie had in his library. The boss was really impressing me. Who would have thought that he would have a great library in his house? I didn't think he ever read a book.

On Monday I started to increase my physical activity. I took a two-mile walk in the morning and that afternoon I started swimming laps. I expected a call from Tony Monday telling me that they had arrested my shooter but he didn't call.

That afternoon I called Nicky's father to see how she was doing. After saying hello I asked how Nicky was holding up.

"Eric, did you know that Nicky resigned from her job?" George asked.

"She quit? Why?" I asked.

"She said that it was because she was worried that rumors would start up after this comes out in the news," George said, "but I think there's more to it than that."

I didn't know what to think about that. Nicky loved teaching so I felt badly for her but at the same time I felt that she did this to herself.

"Tell her I'm sorry that she had to quit her job."

"I will, Eric," he said.

I had nothing else to say so I ended the call.

*****

When I hadn't heard from Tony by late Tuesday afternoon I was ready to call him but a part of me didn't want to talk to Tony. I was still a little pissed about the way he questioned me about Sarah Bowden.

Wednesday morning Charlie called me.

"How is the house working out for you, Eric?" he asked.

"Great, Charlie. I thought you said this was a small house," I said.

"It is compared to my house in Sherman Oaks," he said. "So you got the car started?"

"Yes, I did and I picked up a couple of cases of Heineken but somehow I don't think they'll last till you get here. I may have to buy some more before I head home. So what's going on over there?"

"Not much but there was a police detective over here asking about you first thing this morning," Charlie said.

I was getting pissed again. Why the fuck was Tony snooping around where I worked?

"What did he want?" I asked.

"He wanted to know if I knew where you were."

"He already knows where I am... Oh. Wait, no he doesn't. I told him I was staying at a friend's house but I didn't tell him whose house and I didn't tell him the address. Did you tell him where I was?"

"Yes. I hope that was all right."

"No problem. It's okay to tell the cops where I am," I said.

Charlie and I talked for a little while longer about work and projects that he hoped I would be back to work on soon. After the call I was feeling pretty good so I poured myself a Heineken and sat in the pool and refreshed my inside and outside at the same time.

When I didn't hear from Tony by five o'clock that evening I decided to drive down to the strip. I thought I would play some blackjack and then get some dinner. I was thinking of going to Bellagio but then I remembered how much Nicky liked the Bellagio and I didn't want to be reminded of her that evening. I ended up at Treasure Island instead. I played blackjack for three hours and suddenly I felt very tired. I decided to skip the idea of having dinner in one of the great restaurants on the strip and just go back to the house.

I got back to the house just before nine o'clock and it wasn't until I was in the kitchen fixing a sandwich that I noticed that I had missed a call on my cell phone. I must not have heard the phone ring when I was in the casino. I checked voice mail and there was a message from Tony. It just said, "Call me," and gave me his cell phone number.

I was still pissed at him so I waited till I finished eating my sandwich before I called him.

"You wanted me to call?" I said when he answered the phone.

"Where the hell have you been?" Tony asked.

"Whoa there. What the hell is this? I don't have to check in with you. I went out tonight," I said.

"Sorry to be so brusque but we have a problem. We don't know where he is?" Tony said.

"You don't know where who is?"

"Our suspect. He didn't return from his meeting in Denver," Tony said. "We know that he checked out of his hotel and went to the airport and got on the plane to LA but we lost him at LAX."

"So the guy that shot me is still on the loose? Jesus Christ, how could that happen?" I asked.

"I am sorry, buddy but this isn't my fault. If you remember, I wanted him picked up in Denver and held for extradition but I was overruled. Now he is on the loose. We don't know if he knows we are looking for him or not. We hope not. You should be safe over there and we are keeping a close watch on your wife. We don't think she contacted him but we are doing everything we can to make sure of that."

"You think Nicky might have tipped him off that you were looking for him?"

"I would not have thought so but now? Who knows?"

"So, other than that how are you doing?" Tony asked.

"I'd be doing a whole lot better if you would stop snooping around in my business and catch this guy," I said.

"What do you mean, snooping around in your business?" Tony asked.

"First you call me and started asking me about a girl I knew more than ten years ago and won't tell me why and then this morning you start snooping around my place of employment asking questions about me."

"What are you talking about?" Tony asked.

"My boss called me this morning and said that you were in there first thing this morning asking questions about me?"

"Shit. It wasn't me, Eric. What kind of questions?"

"It wasn't you? Did you send someone else out there?"

"No."

"Charlie told me the cop that came out there asked him where I was and he told him."

"Oh, fuck. You need to get out of the house now. Get a hotel room somewhere and don't talk to anyone but me." Tony said.

"You think he is coming here?"

"I don't know but I think it's a good bet. Why else would he want to know where you are?"

"Tony?"

"What"?

"I think it's time you tell me who the fuck this guy I," I said.

"John Parker."

"The high school phys Ed teacher?"

"That's right. How well do you know him?" Tony asked.

"I don't really know him at all," I said. Nicky talked about him a lot when he first came to the school two years ago. She thought he was going to do a good job as a phys Ed teacher and the football coach. I have never met him myself. Oh, shit... I just remembered that Nicky told me that Parker once told her that he knew who I was in college."

"But you don't know him?"

"I don't remember his name from my college days and I don't know if I would recognize him if I saw him," I said. Then another thought struck me. "Is Nicky having an affair with John Parker?"

I could feel my chest tightening as the realization set in. How long had this been going on and how had I not had seen any indication that Nicky was cheating on me? I felt pain, betrayal, anger and stupidity all at the same time.

"We are still not sure what the relationship is between Mr. Parker and your wife. We only know what she has told us so far but we don't know if it is the truth yet but we will find out," Tony said.

"What has Nicky told you?"

"I am sorry Eric, but I just can tell you at this time. I promise I will tell you everything as soon as I can. For now I just want you to get out of that house and find some other place to stay tonight."

"He could already be here. It only takes an hour to fly from LA to Vegas," I said.

"He may be there but he didn't fly. We have been watching the airports and we have been in touch with his credit card company and he has not made any charges today. If he is in Vegas he drove there. I want you to leave the house now and make sure you are not being followed. If you even think someone is following you, call me immediately," Tony said.

"What can you do if I am being followed? You're in LA and I 'm in Vegas." I said.

"I can get in touch with the Las Vegas police and get them to come to your assistance."

"Okay, I am leaving now."

I closed my phone and started turning off lights. Once I had the interior of the house dark I peeked out the windows and looked for any cars parked in the street. When I didn't see any cars on the street I went into the garage and got into Charlie's Honda.

Throughout this whole ordeal I had dealt with just about every imaginable emotion but as I sat in the dark contemplating my next action, I felt fear for the first time. I started the Honda and waited for a few more seconds before I pushed the button on the remote to open the garage door. As soon as there was enough clearance under the door I drove out of the garage fast hitting the button to close the garage door, as I turned left onto the street.