The Storytellers Ch. 18

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Now I've never been sure that he knew it wuz me inside his head, but from that time on we wuz almost mortal enemies.

"So when Jennings called to ask if we wuz interested in the trade I pretended to be all for it. But I had already planted a seed in the owner, Charles Somers mind that Cobb wuz a major problem we didn't want. So when the offer reached Somers, he turned Detroit down.

"We'll keep Flick," he said to me. "Maybe he isn't quite as good a hitter as Cobb, but Flick is much nicer to have on the team."

"Turned out that Flick had a good year in '07, but Cobb went and won the first of nine straight batting titles. You heard me, nine straight batting titles.

"The thing wuz, it turned out to be Flick's last good year. His stomach bothered him all through 1908 and he wuz released in 1910. By the way, his spot wuz taken by a kid name of Joe Jackson; I know you heard of him. He played well for us, but had a ways to go before becoming a truly great player. So we traded him to the White Sox," Bill said with a smirk.

"Just goes to show you how hard it is to spot greatness early on."

"Um, Bill..." I began, only to be interrupted by him once again.

"I ain't finished with Cleveland. Let me tell it now, or I'll just clam up about my other activities."

I believed him and conceded, telling him that I couldn't help but be more interested in his murderous activities than baseball accomplishments.

He snorted and told me it was his way or the highway. I nodded and sat down, a glum expression all I could show of my exasperation.

12