The Tale of Amberley Bloodstar Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

After hearing many people shout various suggestions, I was about to play a song when a man burst through the doors, bleeding from a nasty gash on his forehead and another on his arm. He surged through the crowd, pale with panic.

"Bandits!" he gasped, looking around at everyone. "Bandits waylaid us coming into town! They- they took my daughter! Help me! Help!"

Fire-Eater surged through the crowd and took the man by the shoulders, getting his attention. "Calm down, Lorgun! Gather yourself, man, and tell us exactly what happened! Were you not in Farun?"

"Aye," the man replied, shaking. "But I had sold my goods and we were comin' back when we got attacked. Maybe a league outside of town! I think there were at least six, maybe seven, I... Kurl, my son, he is in the cart, wounded, he's going to die! And they took Jena before I could get away! Oh, gods, they're going to kill her!"

"They won't kill your daughter," I interjected, trying to sound firm and confident about my answer. "Her fate may be even less pleasant, but take heart that she's alive, meaning she can be retrieved. How long ago was this?"

He shook his head, trying to concentrate. "Maybe an hour ago."

"Fire-Eater," I said, looking at him. "Whoever in your town has any skill with healing, have them bring Kurl here quickly. Sit this man down and calm him. Where is the town watch?"

"We, don't have one," Fire-Eater said, somewhat flustered. "We have not had one in nearly four generations, Lady Bloodstar."

I sighed, knowing what was about to happen. There was no avoiding it. "Then bring me at least five able-bodied people with some courage in them. But not you, we'll need you here for the townsfolk. Go."

Fire-Eater nodded and hurried off while others sat the man down. More left to find the son. Sunniva was looking at me with concern.

"Don't worry," I said, squeezing her forearm. "There might be more to me than a pretty voice and some tits."

"That's all a peaceful town should ever have to ask for," she murmured while I watched them settle the merchant in. "Amberley, his daughter, Jena, she is my friend! What will we do?"

"I'm working on that, Sunniva." I muttered, my mind racing.

***

The small square in the center of town was where I now stood, surrounded by throngs of worried people. Fire-Eater and the elderly village mayor stood nearby me, as did Sunniva. Lined up in a row were five people- the town's blacksmith, three young men, including Sunniva's younger brother Toryn, and two rangy sisters who were known for not backing down from a fight, even with the boys. It would have to do.

Each of them had been provided with some sort of weapon, whether it was an old sword, a re-worked spear or just a cudgel. They wore padded jerkins, hopefully stout enough to find off minor blows. I might have wished for armour, but none of them would know how to wear it. My plan would work only if we avoided a pitched fight.

"Right," I said, trying to sound authoritative. "We wait until nightfall, then they will not see us coming. You five will wait in the little fen... here..."

I indicated a place on a hastily drawn map of the woods. I assumed it was mostly accurate, since a few woodsmen had provided it and one now came with me as part of my little rescue force. "I'll venture in and distract them so that you can approach. You'll need to be ready for my signal, so stay alert. When you hear it, you'll need to rush in, no hesitation."

They all nodded. The blacksmith, the largest of them by a considerable margin, was wearing a stout iron-working hammer on his belt. He slapped his muscular thighs and announced I could rely on them. I found myself hoping so. It was a risky plan, with any one of a number of pitfalls, but it was the best we could hope for on short notice and with minimal risk to lives, excepting mine.

"Dear Lady of Song, don't let this be a stupid idea..." I thought to myself as I hugged Sunniva and led my little warband out of Ynnswood.

***

I'd left them inside the little fen, repeating my instructions to listen for the signal. When they heard it, come running. I made each of them quietly tell me what my signal was and instructed the blacksmith to not let them stray, because Jena's life was at stake.

With that, I headed into the darkness, making my way towards a distant campfire deep in the forest. The trees grew older as I progressed, no doubt indicating areas that the nearby town of Ynnswood had yet to lay axe to. If I had a chance, I would visit these trees before I left, to hear their song.

I drew closer in the darkness, hearing gruff voices and laughter. I seemingly hadn't been seen yet and ducked behind some rocks, trying to size up my foes- I suddenly heard muffled screaming and crying, along with a voice making threats. I edged closer, worried that I was hearing Jena. My eyes took in the scene around the campfire.

"Shit, there's at least fifteen of them..."

One man indeed had swaggered up to a girl who was tied to a tree, wearing torn clothing. Her mouth was gagged and she was dirty and scratched up. Her blonde hair was tangled and hung past her shoulders. Her cheeks were red from tears, but she was otherwise pale with fright.

The man who approached her took hold of her soiled bodice and tore it open. She keened from beneath the cloth gag tied around her head and squirmed, her naked body exposed. Like Sunniva, she had a lush body with heavy breasts, wide hips and the working legs of a peasant girl.

The man dropped his trousers and stepped out of them while the others laughed as Jena struggled to somehow escape, to no avail. I noticed another coming out of the darkness, probably on guard but wanting to see the show. That made for sixteen I knew of. A chill passed through me as I thought of each of these bandits taking a turn with Jena.

The chill led to a cold fury, which I forced down, knowing that anger would not serve my purposes here. I needed to be calculating and beyond captivating. My hand gripped the hilt of my rapier as I saw him order Jena to open her legs. She refused and the men laughed while he tried to force them open. Finally, he rammed his knee into her womanhood in annoyance. Jena cried out, tears streaming down her face. He kneed her three more times until she sagged, opening her legs in defeat. I squeezed my eyes shut as he stepped between her thighs and began thrusting himself inside her.

"I'm so sorry, Jena. I can't stop him, not yet. But he will pay for what he's done, I promise you. Courage, dear girl..."

I thought about my plan. I needed to retreat, I was too close to them for my plan to work. If I showed up suddenly, they would be shocked and on alert. I quietly melted back into the darkness, pulling my lute from my back. I took several deep breaths and steeled myself. My hands began strumming the strings and I began my song.

"Sir Eglamore was a valiant knight,
fa la lanky down dilly,
He took up his sword and he went to fight,
fa la lanky down dilly.
As he rode o'er hill and dale,
All armored in a coat of mail,
Fa la la-n-fa, da-n-da da-n-fa, lanky down dilly."

I was walking toward the campfire, singing and there was no doubt I was getting their attention, since I could see several standing up from their places around the fire, looking around in confusion with their hands on their weapons. I ignored a pang of concern and kept walking.

"Out came a dragon from her den,
fa la lanky down dilly,
That killed God knows how many men,
fa la lanky down dilly.
When she saw Sir Eglamore,
You should have heard that dragon roar
Fa la la-n-fa, da-n-da da-n-fa, lanky down dilly."

They had recognized where my voice was coming from now and were facing me, waiting inside the open area they'd created for their camp. Several backed up in amazement as I strode into the circle, continuing to sing and seemingly taking no notice of the threat they presented. If they could only have heard my heart pounding...

But as in choler she did burn,
fa la lanky down dilly,
He fetched the dragon a great good turn,
fa la lanky down dilly,
As a yawning she did fall,
he thrust his sword up, hilt and all,
Fa la la-n-fa, da-n-da da-n-fa, lanky down dilly.

Like a coward she did fly,
fa la lanky down dilly.
To her den which was hard by,
fa la lanky down dilly,
There she lay all night and roared,
the knight was sorry for his sword,
Fa la la-n-fa, da-n-da da-n-fa, lanky down dilly."

They were all watching me, dumbstruck as I played and sang, even the one who had been fucking poor Jena seconds ago. I struck the final note on my lute and there was silence for some seconds as they looked at me, seemingly wondering what to do. My song had dulled them, momentarily, but it would not be enough to enact my plan. I hadn't expected it to be. The time was not yet ripe. I glanced very quickly over in Jena's direction, assessing her condition. She was still crying, although perhaps happy for the interruption. Her legs were still apart, no doubt in fear, and I could see glistening threads of the ruffian's cum dripping out of her. I forced it from my mind.

I smiled dazzlingly. "Kind sirs, I am Amberley Bloodstar, a wandering minstrel, and I was hoping you would be willing to share your fire with me."

One of them finally freed himself from my song and looked at me suspiciously. "How did you find us?"

"Your fire, of course." I said simply. "My road has been long and I am tired. Perhaps you would allow me to stay the night?"

"Are all bards this blind?" he demanded, apparently amazed at my idiocy. "Can you not see who we are?"

"I guess you are outlaws, but I am not in the habit of judging people," I replied, shrugging. "At least until I know whether they will share their fire with me or not. It's not every day you are blessed with a bard's company, is it?"

"No, that is true," said the rough man who had been fucking Jena. He was pulling up his pants and approached me, looking me over. He was burly and ugly, one of his eyes covered by a ragged scar. "What did you say your name was, girl?"

"Amberley Bloodstar," I repeated, bowing my head. "And I'm hoping you'll allow me to use your fire and I can repay with song."

"And how do we know we can trust you?" he growled, his hand still on a wicked-looking knife.

"You fear a lone bard?" I asked. "And a girl, to boot?"

"I see knives on you, not to mention the sword."

"A girl has to protect herself," was my response. "If I considered myself a match for you, why would I bother asking to share you fire? No, good sir, I am chilled and in need of a fire and a rest before I continue on my way to Arristheon."

"How do we know you won't alert the authorities in Arristheon about us?" called out another man.

"Because Arristheon's a different kingdom, stupid," snapped the scarred man, seemingly their leader, smacking his thug across the side of the head. "There's no strong authority here, that's why we came to this land at all."

"Lots of ripe pussy, though," guffawed another. "Hey, Karz, why don't we keep this one, too? She looks like she can fuck."

"You're a fool, then," growled the leader. "Don't you know that bards are blessed? Bad luck to harm 'em! I just dunno what to do with 'er now that she's found us."

"Your comings and goings are your own business, gentlemen," I said politely, holding my hand up. "If you've no interest in exchanging the warm of your fire for my skills, say so and I shall be on my way."

The leader, Karz, assessed me for a few more seconds and grunted. "Well, you can certainly sing and play, we know that much. And p'raps listenin' to you'll take my mind off these fools and their babbling. Right, you have a deal, bard. Keep us entertained and you can share our fire. No food, though, we have precious little as is."

"Fair enough. And who knows, if I find your company enjoyable, maybe you'll let me have a go at her?" I suggested, grinning and cocking my head at Jena, who was still watching in fright. This elicited much laughter from the men around the fire, but Jena went paler than ever.

I walked over to a log that was unused and sat down on it, tuning my lute. I also subtly strummed the zirium string, tuning it carefully for what I had planned. I hoped my comrades were listening. With a deep breath, I committed myself to the Mistress of Song and began playing. My voice carried through the night.

"I've a tale filled with horror and gore,
Of the tyrant from days of yore,
So lend me your ear and I'll fill it with fear,
As I sing of the Mad King Thorn,
Be afraid of the Mad King Thorn.

There's an evil beginning to form,
Like the clouds of a gathering storm,
After so many years he might finally appear,
Be afraid of the Mad King Thorn,
Be afraid of the Mad King Thorn."

The men were listening intently, not feeling the subtle enchantment I was weaving through the glade. Dulling their senses, unaware of how my tune carried beyond our encampment, hopefully reaching the ears of my little troop. It was not a powerful spell, for my knowledge of such magicks is not that great yet, but hopefully it would beguile them long enough for my plan to work.

I looked at each of them as I sang, drawing them in, addling their minds. I even looked at Jena, who slowly sank to her knees, lost in my voice. Good. Even a few moments of dulling her pain and terror had to be a good thing.

I heard what my captive audience couldn't, the rush of feet approaching us. I played and sang a little louder, as if somehow that would enhance my efforts. Ridiculous, yes, but I will admit to being nervous. This situation was quite precarious, after all.

My comrades burst into the clearing, their weapons ready. The bandits, my audience, were slow to react, still trapped by my song. The became aware of their peril but could not defend themselves quickly. I'd instructed the rescuers to not kill these ruffians if possible, since knocking them out or injuring them would be quicker and we were outnumbered, almost three to one.

The blacksmith smashed the haft of his hammer into one man roughly, knocking him down, stunned. Sunniva's brother jammed his makeshift spear into another bandit's shoulder, causing him to cry out in pain and fall over. The sisters each knocked a foe to the ground and pummeled them with their cudgels, hoping to incapacitate them.

Jena screamed in fright, which snapped the leader, Karz, out of his reverie. He realized what was happening and whirled around to lunge at Jena, his long knife appearing in his hand.

The weapon's thrust at her throat was parried by the blade of my rapier. He looked stunned for a moment as I stood in front of him, sword in one hand, a dagger in the other, daring him to move forward.

"So, not a bard after all." Karz snarled, his eyes blazing with fury at his betrayal.

"Oh, most certainly a bard," I said evenly, my eyes never leaving his. "But there is so much more to me than a pretty voice, scum."

He lunged and slashed in a wide arc. I ignored Jena's continued screaming and ducked the attack, swiping my dagger across his flank. The keen steel pierced the leather armour and creased his skin, causing him to groan in pain. He staggered half a step before turning around, glaring at me. I stayed in front of Jena, eyeing him warily. My spell must have worn off by now, so I was hoping we had subdued the other bandits or they would be sufficiently unable to respond to our sudden attack. I didn't dare look.

Karz lunged again, obviously realizing that time was short. I parried his blade and struck him across the face with the pommel of my rapier. He spun and stumbled and I dashed in, hoping to finish him off. Alas, I was a heartbeat too slow to capitalize and we tumbled to the ground, struggling wildly. His breath stank and his body reeked as we wrestled for advantage. Even wounded and slightly stunned, he was still stronger than me and would soon have me overpowered.

I rolled onto my back and he came with me, barking in triumph as he looked down at me, assuming I was pinned. His crow of triumph was interrupted by a shout of agony as I rammed my knee into his crotch. Paralyzed with pain, he was easy to push off and before he could recover, I kicked him across the head. Karz went down and lay still.

Without hesitating, I turned and dashed toward the sounds of a struggle. The sisters were struggling with a burly thug, who was keeping the two of them at bay by waving a large club back and forth. He paused suddenly when he felt the point of my rapier at his throat.

"Drop the club or you die." I said, my voice dire with warning. "I'm going to count to five. Four..."

He dropped the club immediately and the sisters dashed in and wrestled him to his knees, immediately tying his hands behind his back. I nodded and looked around, seeing Sunniva's brother sitting on top of a thug and delivering a blow across his jaw that knocked him out.

And then there was stillness. All I could hear was the moans of injured bandits and the heavy breathing of my comrades. My heart was thundering in my chest and I took a moment to calm myself. I glanced over at Jena, who was staring in wide-eyed shock. The sisters and Sunniva's brother all rushed over to her and untied her quickly, hugging her in relief. She sobbed uncontrollably, no doubt overwhelmed by her dilemma.

I slowly walked over and bowed my head as I approached her. Jane looked at me uncertainly, still not sure of who I was.

"I am sorry for what these men did to you, Jena," I said softly. "Your father told us that they'd taken you and we endeavoured to come and take you back."

"M-my father and brother..." she said, trembling. "Are they-"

"They'll both be fine," I replied, putting a hand on her shoulder. "We don't really have time to let you rest, since I have no clue if there are other thugs in the area, so maybe Toryn will carry you while the rest of us herd our prisoners?"

My compatriots all nodded. Toryn let Jena climb onto his back while the blacksmith, the two boys and the sisters roughly rounded up our prisoners and herded them into a line. We used several lengths of rope to tie them hand and foot to one another in threes. This way, we could manage them and their movement was hobbled. A swift crack across the head from a cudgel indicated no talking would be tolerated.

With me in the lead, strumming my lute and singing a song to keep them focused, we began the journey back.

***

We approached Ynnswood just after dawn and horns were sounded as we came into view. People dashed out of their homes, crying out in relief and cheering. Sunniva charged in and hugged Jena fiercely, delighted to have her friend back. Shouts of adulation for myself and my companions abounded, although I had to work hard to keep the people from killing the bandits on the spot, even though they were bound and helpless.

The bandits were roughly shoved to their knees in the town square while Fire-Eater and the town elders assembled to decide their fate. Not surprisingly, calls for their immediate death were prominent. To the amazement of most of the townsfolk, I pleaded for clemency, that the men be spared immediate death and either sent off to Arristheon for judgement or detained here in town for less capital punishment.

Fire-Eater glared down at them while I subtly played my lute in the background, a calming tune mean to allow clarity of thought, for cooler heads to prevail. He looked down at Karz, the contempt in his voice obvious.