The Tao of Kady: An Explanation

Story Info
Detailing why I chose to pursue writing the Kady stories.
1.1k words
4.88
3.4k
1
0
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

A BRIEF EXPLANATION OF ARCADIA GLIMMER MIST

Arcadia Glimmer Mist began with the silly name. Most of the time when I write, I start from a single line and just let things flow from there. I write and let the words flow. There is some element of planning, but not much; I don't tend to outline or do any of the other things that good writers do. I just sit down and write, often feeling less that I'm creating a story and more that I'm transcribing one. I explore the mental landscapes of the characters I create, following instinct and reaction, putting myself in my character's shoes and getting into the role as much as I can. And with Kady, the first line was, "My name is Arcadia Glimmer Mist. I know, right?" I can't express tone or inflection over text - well, I can, but not without difficulty, and I'm never quite sure I get it right - but the whole of the character was in those few words, and immediately, I knew who she was, and more importantly, why she was that way.

The first scene that occurred to me was actually the sunbathing scene with Kady and Just. I read incest erotica, a guilty pleasure, and I wanted to give the writing a try. I had had a few ideas before this, but nothing ever gelled, until the scene with Just and Kady popped into my head. While constructing the story, though, I realized that wasn't where I wanted to start the story. Kady was talking, loudly and firmly, and I knew I had to go back and start with her first time. That led to her and Neil. I suppose I could have had her first time be with Just, but that didn't feel right, and I didn't want to break Kady's voice in my mind. I could guide, and occasionally did, but a character often fails if you push it too far out of its natural inclinations.

So, Kady and Neil, and I realized I could take a tour through the various fetishes available on the Literotica site. Some didn't feel like anything Kady would be interested; I didn't see her engaging in BDSM, though light bondage and mild submission seemed within her bounds. Kady was proud, liberated, confident, and assured. So she definitely wasn't a submissive, but I couldn't see her being dominating either; the core of Kady's personality is a deep well of playfulness, lighthearted and willing to give in order to get. Maybe those elements would fit in a BDSM story, but for me, it simply didn't seem to fit. When the Literotica Summer Lovin' contest hit, I decided to give it a shot, and coincided this with Kady's foray into exhibitionism and voyeurism. It did not surprise me that Kady was into exhibitionism. Voyeurism, I think, isn't her thing; it requires a remove, and I don't think she enjoys being apart from the action.

I also realized I wanted to do some different things. Many of the stories I read, especially those regarding E&V, talk about how humiliating public nudity is. Hell, even outside that genre, there seems to be a common perception that women can get off on humiliation. While I don't doubt that some do - there's some sixbillion people on this world, and with a large enough sample size, startling variety can occur - it doesn't do anything for me. I don't get aroused by women being humiliated or forced into submission; in fact, it's a fairly powerful turn off. And Kady was far too proud and far too comfortable in her skin to be afraid of showing. Some are aroused by the idea of dominating powerful people, men or women; for myself, I find confidence and rightly-used power to be beautiful, and I do not enjoy seeing any beautiful thing broken, however temporarily.

What came clear as I wrote Kady was that she got off not on a sense of powerlessness, but on exactly the opposite. This let her feel power. Sex, for her, was empowering, fulfilling. When she reached the beach party in Summer Daze, it seemed logical that the lustful, hungry gazes would make her feel absolutely in control. She speaks often of the sense of empowerment that fills her when she is sexually engaged, and it's that that contributes to the intensity and frequency of her orgasms more than physical stimulation. I established early that she is capable of orgasming through purely mental stimulation. The two in combination are often overwhelming to her. She is never a victim; she pursues these experiences. She is often the instigator. Even when she isn't, she is unafraid and eager.

There are a couple elements in the story that I can't explain, because to be honest, I don't understand them either. Kady ignores the dual threats of pregnancy and disease, though I make it clear such things exist in this world. She can't get pregnant, and why has not come clear to me yet. Why she is unafraid of illness is also unclear, but for the most part, I simply run with it. Maybe I'll foray into science fiction and fantasy at some point, though that feels a little like cheating. I think a large part of this is my desire to explore other consequences of sexuality and promiscuity; those two are fairly obvious and fairly well covered elsewhere, but there are effects on the body and mind that aren't often addressed, and while I am far from expert, I am trying to explore from within a character's head.

There is also a fair bit of evidence so far to suggest - if not outright state - that Kady might be losing control of her own urges. I'm not sure whether this would actually bother her, though I think after the beach party, she will settle down a bit. What Kady is looking for - and she is looking for something - I don't know, but hopefully we can find out.

It was also odd to explain all this to my wife of less than a year at the time of this writing. She is reserved and conservative, while I am anything but, and I did not want her to think I was hiding anything, so I shared these stories with her. It took time to explain that this is a writing project - not a list of fantasies that I wished to fulfill. If I were a slender young redheaded woman, maybe matters would be different, but I am none of those things, and so my imagination will suffice. I love my wife; I want nothing between us, least of all misunderstandings.

Why I started writing again - and erotica, of all things - after so long a drought, I don't know. What brought Kady into my mind, I'm not sure. But I'm glad she chose me to tell her tale, and I'm happy to share all this with you. Please comment if you enjoy the stories; tell me what you liked, what you didn't, and why. I write for me - but it's nice to hear other perspectives too.