The Things We Leave Behind

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Jeez, it's that strong?"

"She seems to have conquered her own small territory in my heart and mind," Jake muses.

"Lots of men have affairs, Dad."

Jake doesn't directly respond to his son's statement. He has divulged all he cares to about his time with Sharon.

"Sam, just remember something. Making things better for the next generation is about as close to the meaning of life as we're able to comprehend."

Sam nods eagerly. "I agree with you on that one."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Three years after the conversation with his father, Sam meets Vanessa, a recent hire at his accounting firm. She and Sam become friends right away. There is an easiness to their conversation that Sam accepts as a sign that they could become so much more. Sam is attracted to her; she is a small woman with a smooth curvy body and firm legs. He fantasizes daily about her.

Sam hears his father's words in the back of his mind. He asks himself whether he would be tempted to abandon the place where he belongs, and whether Vanessa would be granted an eternal space in his psyche exactly as his father described. If he were to begin an affair, would the relationship develop as his father's did? Would he come to love her as his father loved Sharon? The thought sends tingles down his spine, because he is somehow both intrigued and alarmed by the proposition.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

At eighty years old, Jake can barely walk. Arthritis has made every step a painful maneuver. In addition, he has been diagnosed with terminal bone cancer. With little else he can do, Jake takes stock of his life. There are many terrific memories, and he takes great pleasure in reliving the best of them in his final days.

Sharon is not far removed from his thoughts. Despite the pain and confusion wrought from their affair, he is glad that she entered his life and touched him in so many ways. If Jake had any urge to analyze, he would be puzzled by this contradiction. After all, how can he encourage his son to step cautiously away from something that still held so much value for him?

He suspects that human beings are faulty, emotional and needy by nature. For Jake, life seemed to have been an endless search for happiness and balance. As the final light slowly fades from his life, he is eternally thankful for his wife and children and the time they shared together. He also remembers Sharon; he hopes she has enjoyed life and recalls their short but intense time together with fondness.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Ten years after Jake's death, Sam and Clarissa visit Jake's grave site. He lays a bouquet at the base of the stone.

"I can't believe its been ten years," Clarissa whispers.

"I know," Sam replies somberly. "I still remember him as if he just died yesterday."

"He was a good man."

"Yeah. He always protected us, tried to make sure we were okay."

"See? You're a great man, a great husband and a great father, Sam. It's intergenerational."

"Yeah. There he is, buried six feet under, probably being eaten by worms or microbes, but he lives on."

"Does that mean we're immortal?"

"I guess it does, so long as you leave behind something that the next generation can build upon."

"You're father did that."

"Yeah, he sure did."

Sam and Clarissa leave the cemetery together holding hands, coincidentally wondering if their children, and their grandchildren, would talk about them in the same way.

12