The Third Revolution Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Ah, yes, you have. And I know you, too. In fact, I have something here that I know you're gonna love."

Arlo turned his back to Jason and appeared to pour something from the counter behind the bar. He turned his head and peered over his shoulder, flashing Jason a wicked grin. With a flourish, he turned and placed a glass of bubbling liquid in front of Jason.

Jason looked at Arlo with astonishment and examined the glass closely, looking at it from all angles. He placed his face over the glass, and jerked his head back when the bubbles tickled his nose.

"What on earth is that?" he asked.

Arlo laughed out loud. "It's called soda. This one here is cola, to be exact. Go ahead, taste it."

"Taste it?" Jason exclaimed with wide eyes. "You gotta be kidding me. You sure this stuff is safe to drink?"

"Only one way to find out," Arlo said, pushing the glass gently toward his friend.

Jason looked at the glass, and then back to Arlo. He raised the glass to his lips, bracing himself. With one last glance at Arlo, he closed his eyes and took a sip.

"Wow!" Jason shouted. "That is like liquid candy!"

"I told you you'd like it!" Arlo said with a hearty laugh.

Jason took another, larger, sip, and savored the sensation of bubbly sweetness before swallowing it.

"How have I lived my entire life without tasting this magical concoction?"

"You should try it with rum," Arlo said. "Spiced rum is even better."

Jason downed another gulp. "You're sure this is safe?"

"Well, the State made it illegal a long time ago. Said it led to obesity."

"Does it?"

"Well, yeah, if you drink enough of it!"

Jason shook his head. "Where did you get it?"

"Actually," Arlo said, "the citizen at that table behind you, in the corner, brought it in just before you got here."

Jason turned and spotted a woman seated at a table where Arlo had pointed. She had beautiful skin, high cheek bones, and pouty lips, and her hair was the color of a sunset. She seemed lost in her thoughts, and didn't seem to notice Jason looking in her direction. Then she turned her head and smiled at him, and motioned for him to join her at the table.

"If you'll excuse me, Arlo," Jason said, "I need to know where she got this."

"Don't mind me," Arlo responded to Jason's back. "I'll just be standing here all night, talking to myself."

Jason approached the table, and the woman motioned toward the seat across the table.

"Good evening, citizen," he said. "I just want to thank you for bringing this amazing drink tonight."

"You're very welcome, Jason," she said. He gave her a puzzled look, and his eyes darted from one of her ears to the other. "Yes, I know who you are," she laughed. "I don't need a device to tell me."

"Okay," he said, "then maybe you can tell me who you are."

"My name is Elena Hale," she said, and extended her hand across the table.

Jason looked at her hand and laughed. He then extended his own and shook her hand. "A handshake?" he said. "That is a rather old-fashioned custom, isn't it? Some consider it offensive."

"Are you offended, Mr. Adams?" she asked with an expression of amusement.

"No, it doesn't offend me," he responded. "Neither does your gender-specific label of 'mister,' for that matter. I find the old customs endearing in a way."

"Well, that explains why you are here in a place like this," she said, waving her hand.

He drained the last remaining drop of soda from his glass, and Elena signaled to Arlo to bring them another round.

"May I ask how you know me?" he asked.

"We have a common acquaintance," she answered. "For now, we'll leave it at that."

Arlo placed two full glasses of soda in front of them, and Elena raised her glass in a toast. Jason chuckled and clinked his glass against hers.

"Yet another ancient custom," he noted. "You are an old soul, Citizen—err, Ms. Hale."

She laughed in response, and sipped her soda.

"May I ask where you found this...cola, is it?" he asked.

"I didn't find it," she stated. "I made it. And there is a lot more where that comes from, believe me."

"Would you mind sharing the recipe?"

"Now, Jason, you know that would be illegal," she teased.

"To be honest," he said, looking around the room tentatively, "I don't really understand why it's illegal. I mean, if it is safe to drink in small portions, then why not allow people to consume it in that way?"

Elena nodded her head with a knowing smirk. "You tell me why it's illegal."

He thought for a moment. "Well, most people can't be trusted to monitor themselves. It's human nature to consume more than is healthy for you. If too many people consume too much of this soda, it could lead to health problems, which would be costly to the Community. It is in the best interests of the State to regulate - and even ban - that which is potentially harmful to us."

"Bravo, Citizen Adams," she responded with mock applause. "The State has certainly taught you well."

Jason hung his head and took a sip of his drink. "And what about you? What has the State taught you?"

Elena smiled. "Jason, I want to tell you a story. This story has been passed down for many years. I'm told it began as a song, although I've never heard it. It is about a forest. In this forest, the maple trees stir up trouble with the other trees in the forest, because the oak trees are robbing them of too much sunlight.

"The oaks reply that they cannot help the way they are. They are taller by nature, and naturally block more of the sun because of their height. They wonder why the maples can't simply be happy in their shade. But the maples scream 'oppression' and band together, gaining the support of other trees. They demand equal rights to the sunlight, and cast the oaks as their greedy oppressors.

"They convince the other trees in the forest to pass a noble law making all trees equal. And in the end, all of the trees become equal...by hatchet, axe and saw."

Jason paused for a moment, uncertain whether the story had ended. "I'm sorry, Elena," he said at last. "I think I understand the point of your story, but I can't get past the talking trees." He chuckled to himself, but Elena maintained a deadpan expression.

She rose from the table and stood beside him. "It has been nice meeting you, Mr. Adams," she said. "Enjoy the rest of your soda."

"Wait!" he said, rising from his seat.

Elena put her hand on his shoulder and gently pushed him back down. "I will see you again, don't worry."

"When? Where?"

"I'll find you," she said. And with that, she exited the bar and disappeared through the crowded arcade and onto the streets.

12