The Thorned Rose Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Despite the lack of communication between Scarlett and Mayla, outside of professional courtesy, the two of them operated like a busy workshop, taking money and handing out drinks with a practised ease as the evening went on and on. At one point in the evening, a tired but satisfied looking Orcess came from the back room and joined a table to a round of cheers, which were met with her own jeers.

As the night drew deep and the patrons started to stumble out filling the night air with a drunken song, he had hadto help more than one to the door. The last patrons these days were always the hopeful stragglers, no longer the ones simply vying for an extra drink, but instead the ones hoping that they would be invited back to Scarlett's room on the sole merit of being the last ones standing. Or, in some people's case, crawling.

But tonight Scarlett, oddly, wasn't feeling it. Since the evening crowd had come in he had felt a weird sort of disconnect. Of course, he had played his part, flirting and serving with his sexy little smirk, but his thoughts had, oddly, been elsewhere.

Silently he helped Mayla tidy up the tavern, closing the door to the night, the two of them now having a key to it and helped to wipe down the surfaces, all but ignoring her as they worked until they were finished.

"I'm er, going to get some sleep, Scarlett." Mayla said, voice soft and tired as it often was after a busy night.

"Goodnight Mayla." he said simply as he tucked chairs under tables, sounding distracted.

She hesitated, but simply nodded, turning and walking towards the rooms with her head bowed slightly.

He looked over to watch her go and frowned a little bit, waiting until she had left before moving towards the bar, taking out a small bottle and pouring himself a very small glass of white wine, the closest thing he had found to his native flower petal drink, albeit much stronger.

He took a sip and almost immediately felt the alcohol begin to afflict him, he was more susceptible to it than humans and it took a lot less to get him drunk, so he always avoided drinking it in front of others lest they see how much of a lightweight he was, something he had established was a bit of a faux pas.

He moved to sit in the big empty room, which just a couple hours ago had been a hive of activity and sipped his wine, alone.

"Ai lainu torenni..." he swore, sighing softly to himself, clasping the small glass between his delicate hands, looking at the translucent liquid as if searching in it for answers.

Though he was happy with himself and who he was, it still irritated him that he couldn't identify what he was, not having a word in his language and not finding one in common for a person such as himself. While the fact that no label existed that he knew of made him feel unique, it also made him feel alone and doubly outcast.

"You can sit here all you want and pretend that's your problem." He said to himself, looking down at the distorted reflection of himself in his wine. He'd already come to terms with himself, even if it was an odd one.

It was Mayla whom he hadn't come to terms with. His method of ignoring the problem until it went away clearly wasn't working, each day and night he saw her pining after his attention, no matter how hard she tried to hide it, he knew she missed him. His company, he thought, as well as the sex.

And in an odd way, despite everything, he missed her too. She had lied and betrayed him for her own gain, yes. But would he truly never talk to her again? He had enjoyed her conversation, her company, the sex.

She hadn't been the largest in that department, on the longest lasting, or the most unique. With her curvy form and middling years she was nothing unique, really, but there was a quality to her every other partner had lacked, a connection. Every other partner Scarlett had had he had met, brought back to his room and gone at it with. But Mayla. He worked with her every day, spent time with her, helped her, knew her a little even. That had made it different, special.

He finished his wine and let out another deep sigh, resolving to make a decision but struggling to actually do so.

Biting a full soft lip he reached into a pocket of his dress, pulling out a copper clip he had been tipped at some point and turned it over in his hands.

"Heads you speak to Mayla. Tails you leave well enough alone."

He flipped the coin.

He watched as it spun in the air before with nimble hands caught it, holding it in a balled fist, the coin flat against his palm. But he found himself hesitating.

With a start, he realised in his tipsy state his heart and mind had betrayed him, he hoped the coin was heads.

With a smile and without looking at the result he slipped the coin back into his pocket. If he hoped it was heads, that was the decision made.

Mayla stood in her all too quiet room drying herself off with a cloth after washing herself down as she usually did following a shift when she heard a knock at the door.

She furrowed her brow in irritation, while she made sure to tell the night guests which room was hers in case of an emergency, save for her tavern legitimately being on fire no one ever came to her with an issue that couldn't have waited until morning.

"What do you want?" she said, voice snappy, loud enough so she could be heard through the door as she dried herself off.

"To talk."

She froze, but only for a moment.

She wrapped herself up in her cloth and made her way quickly across her room to her door, unbolting it and swinging it inwards.

Scarlett looked over Mayla's form, naked save for the cloth that only just managed to make her modest, her full breasts pressed to her chest by the fabric, her blonde hair loose and wet at her shoulders, her eyes tired, but betraying excitement at having him come to her.

"Can I come in?" He asked, his expression hard to read.

"Oh, of course." She replied, stepping aside as she realised she had been all but blocking the door whilst staring at him. "Are you... Is everything okay?"

He shook his head as he stepped into her room, she closed the door behind him and rebolted it out of habit.

"Lay down on the bed." he said simply.

"I... What? You want to?..." she asked, sounding a little confused.

He shook his head again. "No, no. Just lay face down."

She eyed him a little sceptically but followed his direction, pulling the cloth over the curve of her butt while, still confused, she lay face down on her bed, arms folded under her pillow and head resting atop, raising herself slightly so her substantial bust wouldn't be too uncomfortable as she lay there.

He moved over and pulled a bottle of something from a pocket of his dress. She watched as he climbed onto the bed and straddled her, their butts, comparable in size despite his smaller stature and more slender frame pressing together as he sat on hers.

"We need to talk about the thing..." he said.

"I know. But... Why am I lying down?" she asked, unable to help herself.

"You were looking a little stiff the last few hours today. I figured you could use a massage." he said gently, pouring a trickle of cool liquid onto her back before setting the bottle down, pressing his delicate hands into it and starting to rub the liquid into her skin. She wasn't sure what it was, but it made her skin feel hot.

"O-ooh, that feels good, you're too good for me Scarlett..."

"I know."

She bit her lip some, the two of them falling quiet as Scarlett massaged the herb mixed oil into her back, the liquids odd heat radiated across her back, relaxing her muscles far more than Scarlett's hands or a simple oil would've, she had to admit it felt wonderful.

She lay there for some time, under the soft, kind hands of the Elf, each caress and push against her tired muscles working them out, making her feel so much more human.

Finally, she found the words she needed, simple, but difficult to say, especially for someone as proud as Mayla was, "I'm sorry, Scarlett."

He paused for just a moment, before continuing his massage, "Did you know your actions would hurt me?" he asked, voice gentle.

She paused and in an almost imperceptible way, tensed, Scarlett wouldn't have felt her tense had it not been for his hands pressed to her.

"No." she replied.

He frowned a little bit, "Do you think continuing to lie is going to help us fix things? It's time for truth, Mayla."

She didn't reply for another long while, ashamed at being caught out so easily now, just lying under his pressing palms and seeking fingers as he seemingly rubbed all the tiredness and ache from her back.

"Part of me knew, yes. But-"

"Why did you lie to me about everything?" he asked, interrupting her, again she hesitated, very carefully picking her words before she responded each time.

"I.. I don't know I-"

"Yes, you do." he replied smoothly, his ploy of a massage working as intended, his senses so refined and his fingertips so sensitive that he could feel each twitch of her muscles, easily distinguishing her truth from her lies. "Why?"

Mayla bit her lip some, swallowing as her mind tried to think of something to say, trying to come up with some half truth to share. In the end, though, there was as he wanted, only the truth.

"Fear."

"Of?"

"You, leaving..."

Scarlett tilted his head some and, knowing she couldn't see him, smiled a little. He had suspected that that was the case, but it felt good to know for certain, nothing excused her actions, but any answer other than that and he might still have left. "Go on."

She squeezed her eyes shut, feeling the guilt once more swell through her body, though her body was relaxed under the careful, gentle touch of the Elf, her mind swam in anxiety. Though she had known this conversation was coming, indeed she had hoped it would to revive their relationship, it wasn't making it any easier for her.

"I just... You're an Elf, Scarlett, you really can't have any idea what that means to humans. It's like a mythical being just stepped foot into my Tavern, a mythical being who... Who showed an interest in me..."

Scarlett felt a shuddering breath roll through her body, could feel her on the verge of tears, but he stayed quiet, his silence encouraging her to continue.

"I haven't had much luck with partners and when you, an Elf, came to me, of all people... I couldn't just let you go. I had to keep you... So I lied, and I'm sorry, I'm so sorry Scarlett... After I'd made one little lie I couldn't stop, I had to keep lying, because if I told you the truth, you'd leave me."

He listened, head tilted some as he massaged her back, letting her finally come clean to him.

"It was all a lie, even our first night together, the payment, the room, the pillows."

Scarlett was sure that if she hadn't been hardened by her life as an innkeeper she would be in tears, he could feel her fighting to hold them back, her breath shaky, a bead of a tear at the corner of one eye.

She spent a few long minutes regaining her composure, resigning herself to the truth, that she had no control over Scarlett, that Scarlett would go and do whatever it was he pleased.

"What... What will you do now?" she asked, voice concerned. Despite the fact he had continued to work here the last week she wasn't entirely convinced he wouldn't just up and leave.

Scarlett paused for a few long moments, feeling the worry in the tenseness of her muscles, even after his massage. He let out a long slow sigh, breaking the pregnant pause that hung in the room.

"Forgive you, I suppose." he said lightly, leaning in and kissing her cheek.

She opened her eyes and looked back and up to him, surprise and confusion written on her already tired face, a few tears falling to stain the cloth of her bed. "W-why?"

He smirked slightly and shrugged, "Because I want to keep working here." Her expression fell some, but his smirk deepened, "And because I think I care about you a little. Yes, you lied to me." he hesitated, pursing his lips, "A lot, but, well, I've spoken to a lot of people in the last week and you're right, I'm an Elf in an Elf-less world. I think whoever I'd gone to would've used me in some way, I mean I was fleeced for a small kingdom's worth of money just on my way here. At least with you, I managed to discover something important about myself and maybe, for the first time ever, fit in, in a way. It doesn't excuse what you did. But in some small way, I at least understand why."

Mayla, always the optimist bit her lip as she leaned up on her elbows, looking over her shoulder at Scarlett, admiring the beauty before her, she was tired, yes but she was never that tired... "Does... That mean... We?" she raised an eyebrow hopefully.

Scarlett laughed, feeling his own anxieties and worries melt away in an instant and playfully tapped her butt, "Mayla! You've only just discovered I'm not abandoning you forever and ever and you're already angling for a roll with me?"

She shrugged helplessly, defensive, "It's been a while!"

He giggled and his mirth made her smile, feeling a warmth return to her that had been absent since his discovery of her deceit.

"Maybe tomorrow night hm? I've already had that Orc woman today and she was just like the rest of you!"

Mayla looked up to him, "Rest of us?"

"I mean it was a different colour but it was the same general size and shape as everyone else's. After the naga I just kind of assumed every race had a different thingy." he shrugged, pouting.

Mayla grinned a little, starting to regain her confidence with him, "You sound disappointed!" she teased.

He felt his face flush a little, "The Naga was fun! And I like learning new stuff..."

She smirked a little and eyed him over curiously, "Okay okay, so maybe we won't do that tonight... Don't you usually go out for a midnight walk before you sleep these days?"

"I do?" he replied, his blush retreating as the conversation switched to something more mundane.

She paused for a long moment, thinking. "Would you mind dropping by the merchants quarters? There's someone there I'd like a letter delivered to?" she asked, voice sweet.

He raised his eyebrows a little, a little surprised she had given up her advances so easily but happy to help her once again, "Sure, I'll just go change into my sensible clothes?" he said, climbing from her and finding a towel to wipe his oiled hands on, passing it to Mayla who took it gratefully.

"I'll just write out the letter, should be done by the time you're ready." she said, smiling as she sat up, her full breasts proud on her chest as she arched her back, reaching behind herself with the towel, starting to wipe herself down.

"Oookay?" he said, eying her with a little suspicion, it wasn't like Mayla to so easily give up the chase, maybe she was just so relieved that they were good again that she didn't want to risk it by being pushy.

Scarlett left the room and stood outside the door for a moment, thinking about what she could be planning, but shrugged. It was as it seemed and he doubted she would so quickly deceive him after that discussion.

He returned some minutes later, wearing his 'sensible clothing', which amounted to a long fur lined coat thrown over his barmaid's outfit and his heels replaced with snow boots. The outfit, he knew, was pretty ridiculous, but for the sake of a walk it was easier than changing into a completely new outfit. And besides, people couldn't see his skimpy little dress for the thick coat.

"Do you have the letter ready?" he asked as he swung open the door, his hood already up as he often wore it now. With his red hair tucked back and the hood obscuring his ears, he was free to wander the streets without constantly being cat called and pestered, something that, while he enjoyed, hampered his ability to explore the city in peace.

Mayla, wearing a simple nighty looked over to him and nodded, smiling as she offered him an envelope, addressed to an 'Eveia'.

"She's staying at the Broken Axe on Broad Street." Mayla nodded and Scarlett tilted his head some, thinking, trying to figure out whether or not he had encountered that Inn already.

"The Broken Axe... The Broken Axe... Isn't, isn't that the Mercenary tavern? For the caravan guards?" he asked, uncertain as to whether he remembered correctly.

Mayla brightened and nodded, "Ah! You've been there, excellent, you'll know the way then."

He pursed his lips and narrowed his eyes, taking the envelope and glancing between it and her. "Mmm... Alright. I'll see you in the morning?"

"Morning shift as usual." She confirmed.

"With pay," he smirked and she smirked too, nodding slightly. "Alright then, sleep well Mayla."

"Oh, you too..." she said, her smirk deepening, which did nothing to assuage his suspicions.

He left her and The Thorned Rose Inn in his tracks, walking through the dark fire lit streets of the city, curiously peering at each person and party he met, marvelling at the diversity, the men, the women, the indiscernible.

Eventually, his feet carried him to Broad Street, the sign of the Broken Axe half swaying in the wind, the other half lying impaled in the ground. As it catered almost exclusively to guards and warriors it stayed open at all hours, not having to worry about criminals and vagabonds, no one would dare.

He stepped into the warmth of the Inn, it was very late in the night but the Inn was still well stocked with patrons. Caravans could come or go at all hours and there was always a fair amount of people looking for a drink.

Scarlett due to the anonymity of his outfit, bizarrely, walked through the tavern towards the counter without the room falling silent or all heads turning to look his way, quite a unique experience for him, all things told.

He waited patiently until the barman came to serve him and Scarlett smiled at the man softly from under his hood. "I'm delivering a message for an Eveia? Is she here?"

The barman eyed Scarlett with a weathered gaze, trying to make something of the lipstick wearing waif that had entered his inn, but shrugged and pointed towards some stairs. "Top of them, second door on your right I reckon."

"Thank you!" Scarlett said brightly before turning and making for the stairs, feeling the barman's gaze on him as he walked out of sight.

He found the door easy enough and knocked, waiting patiently in the hall as he heard movement inside.

The door swung open inwards, revealing a woman nearly eight foot tall with strange long ears, not long like an Elf's but long like an animal of some sort, her body broad and muscled. She wore loose fitting pants and a shirt that didn't cover the tanned muscles of her abs, only covering the heavy swell of her breasts.

She pushed a few strands of short blonde hair from her eyes, "...What..." her voice sounded grouchy, he assumed he'd woken her, or at the least interrupted her readying for sleep.

"Are you Eveia?" he asked, tone disarmingly polite.

"I am. Who're you?" she asked, frowning intensely as her eyes focused, eying him over with some uncertainty.

"Just a messenger." he held out the envelope, which only caused her frown to deepen, "It's uh, from Mayla?"

"Huh, the hell does she want at this hour." Eveia replied, yawning theatrically.

She all but snatched the envelope from his hand and opened it with ease. Taking out a smaller envelope, her expression darkening. "What the fuck is this? Some kind of joke? What're you playing at?"

Scarlett blinked, surprised and a little worried as to what Mayla had gotten him into. "W-what?" he asked, voice confused.

She pushed the smaller envelope back into his hands and he fumbled to read what it said. 'Scarlett'.

He looked at her, his confusion met only with discontent. "I um... " he swallowed, wilting some under her gaze and decided to open his own envelope, her gaze not shifting as he pulled out a small piece of paper and read it silently to himself.