The Tides Of War Pt. 04

Story Info
Part 4.
7.6k words
4.83
35.8k
11

Part 4 of the 16 part series

Updated 06/07/2023
Created 02/11/2015
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
RobinLane
RobinLane
337 Followers

Then suddenly the cleft was filled with screaming men, brandishing swords and rifles as they appeared in the light of the oil lamps.

Twenty-two rifles spat out as one and the front rank fell. It was rapid fire now.

The bodies of the dead and dying filled the cleft, Afghans were using the bodies as protection as they tried to return fire. Suddenly, first one lamp was shot out and then the second, and the cleft was in darkness.

David lit the gunpowder fuse and said a silent prayer. The flame streaked across the ground until it reached the brushwood, briefly flared and then went out. It seemed he had failed, then one or two small flames flickered, the oil caught and with a whoosh the night lit up.

About 50 Afghans were cautiously advancing out of the Cleft. The rifles cracked out again. David was working the bolt as fast as he could; at this range it was impossible to miss. When the rifle fell empty, he picked up his pistol and fired that into the throng. When that fell empty, he used his belt pistol.

The Afghans were screaming and dying, treading on their own comrades as they tried to escape back down the cleft, the darkness swallowing them up as they withdrew. The riflemen fell silent and became busy reloading their weapons.

David reloaded his, watching as two men threw more bushes onto the fire. He slipped the empty clips into his pocket. Feeling the hipflask, he drew it out and took a long swig, feeling the warmth glowing in his stomach.

Sultar climbed out and ran to check the pits. Some of the Afghan wounded were moaning or screaming, but a series of shots rang out, methodically silencing them.

More wood was added to the fire and it flared up again, illuminating a scene of carnage. David estimated there were over 80 bodies in and around the cleft entrance.

Now and then a rifle would be fired from the other end of the Cleft, the bullet whizzing high above their heads.

Sultar came back, reporting two riflemen had slight gunshot wounds, one in the arm, the other in the shoulder, and both were only grazes.

David could see the light brightening in the sky above, although it was still black down here on the valley floor.

Half an hour later, a message came down reporting that the Afghans were retreating, with bodies draped over horses.

They waited until the Cleft was lit with daylight. A rifleman went to scout the end of the Cleft, returning to say it was clear.

They then began the gruesome job of clearing up.

David stood by the re-lit cook fire drinking tea while the men stripped the bodies of valuables, weapons and ammunition.

Horses were brought and bodies draped over them and led away.

Eventually Sultar reported 93 dead, with some having been shot three or four times. Eighty-one new Russian rifles had been collected, five of which had been hit with bullets and ruined. The rest of gathered rifles were outdated muzzleloaders. Of seven pistols recovered, five were Smith and Wesson's like his, and looked new. The other two were Colts.

He saw to the packing or the weapons and ammunition, along with the holsters for the pistols. The valuables would be in another pack.

"Without your idea for a fire, Colonel Sahib, we could have been overrun," Sultar murmured.

"But we wasn't. The men fought in the best tradition of the Gurkhas," David replied smiling.

"I very much doubt they will be back now until the spring, but of course we cannot be sure."

"I shall return to the Fort. We will need more wood to provide a fire should they return at night. The gunpowder from the muzzleloaders should be kept here. Can you spare two men to lead the pack horses back to the Fort?" David asked him.

"Of course, Colonel Sahib, I shall send the men on when we have completed here."

He sent a man to bring Kahn, while he went to make ready to depart.

David rolled up his blankets and removed the clips from his saddlebag, while someone saddled Kahn. He left his furs on the bunk, immediately feeling the change in temperature once they were off.

He mounted, and with a final wave set off in a brisk trot. Once out of the Pass he put Kahn into a canter. The horse responded eagerly, as if keen to be away from this place.

It was after one when he trotted into the Fort. At the stable he told Hanga to give him a good rub down after removing the saddle and feeding him.

Turning away, he saw Para and Hagar walking fast towards him. Once in his office, he recounted the battle to them, saying that there could have been well over a hundred casualties as the lookout had sighted bodies over some of the horses retreating. He mentioned the quantity of Russian weapons taken adding, "It's obvious that they are arming them with the intention of taking the Pass."

When they were gone, he felt his beard, looking forward to a bath and shave.

When he entered his quarters his eyes widened. The cheap furniture was gone, replaced by gleaming sideboards, a table and chairs. Two maroon leather armchairs had replaced the rocking chair, a brass coffee table lay between them. On the floor were thick Persian rugs and a chandelier with five oil lamps hung from the ceiling.

Hanga came in grinning, "This is much better now for an English gentleman like the Colonel Sahib."

David could only nod his surprise and pleasure.

The tin tub had been replaced by bigger enamel one. The clothes he had worn were gone, and a new set lay on the new brass bedstead.

After he had dressed, Hanga asked if he would like a drink. David nodded from his seat in one of the new armchairs. Hanga opened a cupboard door and removed a cut glass decanter with six matching glasses on a silver tray. He poured out a good measure handing it too him.

"I hope you left something for the Prince?" David chuckled.

After his drink he went outside taking an apple with him. Sulkie's stall was empty. Out in the paddock he reasoned.

Kahn stood in his stall, all attention on David. Hanga had brushed him down and his coat gleamed.

"Hello boy," he said as Kahn thrust his head against him, "is it nice to be back home?"

Kahn could smell the apple and his lip curled as he pushed David again. As David fed him the apple, Kahn's eyes never left David's as he chewed.

A squad of 20 Riflemen were being drilled on the parade ground as two riders with four packhorses came through the gate.

They reined in outside Subedar Quartermaster Hagar's office. Hagar came out and the men removed one pack from a horse and left it on the veranda, then followed Hagar leading the other packhorse down to the armoury.

David recognised the two as those who had been wounded. He called out to them as they passed to report to him when they were finished.

David found Hanga in his kitchen and asked if he had anything for cuts or wounds.

"I have some iodine, Colonel Sahib. It stings like the billy hoe, but it is good to stop infection."

David told him to get it out and gather some bandages as he had two wounds to dress.

When the men reported, he had them strip to the waist. They had strips of blankets covering the wounds.

Hanga used warm water to soak the blanket strips until the congealed blood released its grip on them.

When he had cleared the area of dried blood, he warned them about the sting, then dabbed the iodine on their wounds. Neither man flinched, but David noticed their jawbones clenched.

Hanga bound them in clean linen bandages. When they were done and redressed, David told them to stay at the Fort that night to rest their horses, but to report to Hanga when the troop returned so he could inspect their wounds.

At 6 pm, David told Hanga he was going to bed; the loss of sleep the night previous, plus the battle and the ride back to the Fort had finally worn down his strength.

He climbed onto the bed and collapsed, asleep in seconds. Hanga put a blanket over him later.

The sound of men drilling on the parade ground woke him. Groggily he glanced at his watch, blinking his eyes to focus. It was nearly 9am. He climbed off the bed and realised he was still dressed. He called out for Hanga as he took off his jacket and staggered into the bathroom.

He started to chastise Hanga for letting him sleep so long and then apologized, knowing it wasn't his fault.

Hanga said he was cooking a big breakfast for him seeing he hadn't eaten the night before.

David changed his clothes after he had washed and shaved. He asked Hanga, as he sat down to eat, to tell Subedar Hagar to secure the valuables pack onto a packhorse as he was leaving for the Palace soon. Hanga asked which horse was he taking and he said Sulkie.

He hadn't realised how hungry he was until he had sat down to eat. Now, after his second mug of tea, he felt human again.

Outside he found the packhorse tied to the rail alongside Sulkie. They set off at a fast tot, breaking into a canter once upon the road.

They made good time, reaching the Palace by 1pm. Peshawar led him to the meeting room. Two riflemen stood guard outside, where the Prince was already waiting.

The Prince sat listening as David recounted the battle, concluding by observing that nearly all the weapons recovered were Russian and of new manufacture.

The Prince asked if, in David's opinion, they would attack again.

"I doubt it, sir. The Pass will be blocked by snow in a few weeks. It would be too late for the Russians to start an invasion. Their line of supply would be cut. I believe the only reason the Afghans attacked was purely from a thirst for vengeance for losing a hundred-odd men in their earlier attacks. Now they have to live with the knowledge that they have lost over two hundred men."

"So, David, you think we have gained a breathing space?"

"I do, sir, but when the Pass reopens I believe they will hit us with everything they have."

"Will you be ready David?"

"By then I should have at least 200 riflemen trained and ready."

"You said two of the men were wounded. How seriously?"

"Only flesh wounds, sir. We treated them at the Fort, but it does raise the question of medical treatment. We really need a doctor and medical equipment, not only at the Fort but medical equipment that can be used at the Pass. It would be useful to have a number of men who could apply first aid to the troops."

"Yes, of course, leave it with me. I'll attend to it. One thing I'm concerned about is you. I understand that you have been present at every engagement that has occurred. You should be delegating and let others do the fighting"

"I'm sorry, sir, but the way to command is to lead and you lead by being in front of your troops."

The Prince shook his head, "We will talk about this at a later date. Now to other matters. David, it may be that in the spring, more sophisticated weapons could be used against you. Do you have any knowledge of such weapons?"

David thought about the question before answering, "The key to our defence is the Cleft. Only five men on horseback can ride through it side by side; if on foot, perhaps eight men. The options open to the Afghans are, to destroy the buttress that forms the Cleft, to inflict damage to us on the other side of the Cleft without risking casualties of their own, or to generate superior firepower when forcing an entrance through it.

"The first option - destroy the buttress - would require a great deal of explosives and could be counterproductive if the explosion were to block the Pass completely.

"The second option - to damage us on the other side of the cleft at minimal risk to themselves- that would be possible with artillery. Howitzers or mortars, to be precise. The high angle of fire of these weapons give them the ability to lob shells over the buttress.

The last option - greater firepower - could be possible using quick firing weapons like the Gatling gun or one of the new machine guns that I believe are being developed. I have heard they are capable of firing 600 rounds a minute."

The Prince sat pondering David's reply, finally saying, "But if we had such weapons, would it not redress the balance?"

David hesitated before replying, "It could, sir, but I have no idea where they could be procured from."

"But you have friends or contacts in England who may know. David, my agents in Afghanistan have warned of increasing Russian presence there. When the Pass reopens in the spring, they may either use such weapons against us or train the Afghans to do so. We have, at most, six months in which to prepare. Would you return to England to seek out weapons to counteract the threat?"

"If that is your wish, then of course, Sir, but I shall have to set things in order at the Fort before I leave."

The Prince smiled, "I will make all the necessary arrangements, and provide you with documents to ease your task."

Outside the room he asked Peshawar to locate Subedar Turin for him and put a saddle on the packhorse.

An hour later Turin was trotting out of the gate with David at his side.

Once clear of the city he began to explain why he had cut Turin's leave short.

"I'm promoting you to Subedar Major. Your responsibility will be the welfare and training of all riflemen for active service. I'm going to be out of the country for at least three months, maybe more. By the time I return Cobra and Tiger should each be up their full company strength of 100 riflemen. I hope to start forming a third company, Panther. Rifles and ammunition should have arrived to arm them."

He went to explain the reason for his absence, ending by saying Turin could use his office in his absence.

Once back at the Fort, he summoned Para and Hangar to his office, where Turin waited with him.

David quickly announced Turin's promotion and the plans that drove his decision.

"We have two, maybe three weeks before the snows come. Prior to that, I intend to have a second blockhouse built to house 25 more men and fully ready for occupation in the spring when the Pass reopens. The three of you can work out the logistics of what is required. Speed is paramount, gentlemen. Subedar Turin can requisition whatever personnel and material he requires to carry out that task."

The three men adjourned to Para's office whilst David returned to his quarters.

David summoned Hanga, explaining he was going to England and directing him to pack his sea chest and suitcase accordingly.

The following afternoon, Ashar Kahn and his son Taraq rode into the Fort. Whilst Taraq went to see Julep, Ashar Kahn sat in an armchair in David's office, with a glass of whisky in his hand. He produced the usual letters for the bank and hotel, adding that Mr. Smithers would have further documents for him in Karachi. A mule cart would arrive at dusk to take him and his luggage to the river, where a boat would be waiting. The Prince's agents would be looking out for him.

David asked if he would take Kahn and Sulkie back with him to care for them.

"They will pine for you Sahib, for they have a new love in their lives now. But I will care for them like my own children, which they are."

He stood outside the stable fondling their heads as Ashar Kahn and Taraq waited astride their horses. He kissed each on the nose, fed them a last apple, then watched sadly as they were led away.

Chapter 17

Four days later he was sat in the suite of The Royal Hotel Karachi, listening to Mr. Smithers.

"You are in luck Mr. Ramage. You are again booked on the Comet. It sails tomorrow. You will find your ticket and documents here in the briefcase along with £750 for your out-of-pocket expenses. When you return, inform me in the usual manner and I shall arrange things at this end. It only remains for me to wish you a pleasant and successful voyage."

During the long voyage, David had time to reflect on his life now. Over the past five months never a day had past without some incident or problem requiring his physical attention or mental consideration. The day-to-day requirements of creating the regiment, and the sheer size of the obstacles and planning needed to accomplish it, had left very little time for David to consider his own life. Now, for the first time since coming to Kana he had time to reflect.

His life had changed dramatically, since accepting the Prince's commission.

Financially, he was secure for the first time in his life, although that somehow didn't matter as much as the fact that he was responsible for the lives of 184 men, and the many more that seemed certain to be recruited to their ranks in the future. That was important. That did matter.

He respected what the Prince had done for his people and sympathised with his efforts to remain outside the clutches of the British Raj, whilst at the same time ensuring his people were protected from the ravages of the Afghans.

On the personal side David realised he had a good life. He had comfortable quarters, and Hanga to look after his needs. He had Kahn and Sulkie, who he adored. The only thing significant thing missing was a woman in his life.

David gave a start. Why had he thought that? He'd not thought of women since Samantha, and that was over two years ago.

He could still see her in his mind's eye: Tall and slender with blond hair and startling blue eyes. He had met her in Amritser when his company was stationed there.

She was the daughter of a wealthy merchant who had a grand home in the hills above the town. She and her mother had journeyed there from England to see her father. To pacify the mother's dislike of India, her husband had organised balls at his home, to which the officers of the regiment had been invited.

He had been infatuated by her at first sight, and although there had been plenty of others vying for her attention, she seemed to be attracted to him.

He had begun seeing her whenever duty allowed. He had finally kissed her and she returned his kiss. He knew she was returning with her mother to England, so a week before they were due to go he had asked her to marry him.

She had laughed as if he were joking. She explained that, as much as she had enjoyed his company, he had served his only purpose in her life by making her stay in this tedious country bearable.

The experience had closed David's heart to women.

He knew his fellow officers saw Indian girls or even had Indian mistresses, but while many were beautiful, he had never succumbed to the temptation. Not that the colour would have mattered to him, but if he had married one, his career in the Army would have been over He pushed the thoughts from his mind.

Unlike his first mission he had nothing to refer to this time. The hunting magazines purchased in Karachi had been the primary source to lead him to Cartwright & Sons during his first trip to England on the Prince's business. Still, they represented an active relationship with a company engaged in weapons manufacturing. He would contact Henry Cartwright he decided. Perhaps he would know of current developments in rapid-firing weapons and artillery, or direct him to someone who did.

The Comet nosed into her berth on a cold, foggy, early November Friday morning. Southampton's waters echoed to ghostly sounds of foghorns and the movements of ships obscured by the damp fog.

The train journey to London was uneventful, the fog pursuing him into London itself.

David produced the Prince's letter upon his arrival at the Astor Hotel and was shown into his suite by the manager himself.

The banks being closed at the weekends, he left his unpacking for later and took a hansom cab around to the bank, presenting himself to Mr. Tompkins, the Bank manager. He had coffee with him whilst a chequebook and covering document were prepared for him.

Once back at the Astor, he put a telephone call through to Henry Cartwright, asking if he could visit him on the Monday and briefly outlining the questions to which he was seeking answers.

RobinLane
RobinLane
337 Followers