The Tides Of War Pt. 07

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
RobinLane
RobinLane
337 Followers

It sounded worrying to David and he thought to speak about it later to Martin.

When they entered the gun shop there was a distinctive smell off gun oil in the air. The racks were full off rifles most off which looked second hand.

The man who served them was friendly enough when he found out they had no intention of hunting big game.

"Basically what we are after is something to kill for the pot, buck or something like that." David said.

The man showed them one or two rifles that had been used in the past but all fired black powder bullets.

"Do you have any smokeless cartridge weapons in stock" David asked.

The man thought for a moment, "Well I have a couple off Winchester .30 carbines I've taken delivery off," he went into the back off the shop returning with the two rifles, "there a lever operated rifle with a five round box magazine feed" he said handing one to David.

David put it to his shoulder noticing its lightness over his own .303, it had a basic vee sight with a plain blade front sight.

"They don't have much range about 400 yards effectively, but they'll put down any buck you find, but don't try it on lion" the man warned.

David bought them along with 100 rounds of ammunition and a pistol holster. Intending to lend Martin one of his Smith and Wesson pistols.

Susan had not yet returned when they got back to the hotel. Martin went back out again to buy some clothing more suitable for their coming journey and a hat.

David looked at the Winchesters wishing he had his own rifle, but content with them.

Susan arrived back an hour later, full of praise for Ali's bartering powers.

"He was marvellous and saved us a fortune" she gushed "we got the tents second hand but Ali insisted that they were put up first so he could check then. They had to erect five before he was satisfied with two, the same happened with the camp beds and mosquito nets. He says he can sell them back when we have finished with them."

David smiled at her enthusiasm noticing the parcel under her arm.

She saw him looking at it, "I bought some trousers shirts and boots for myself, the man in the shop thought I was buying them for my brother" she said chuckling.

"Did you remember to buy food" he asked.

She smiled "off course silly, and all the other bits and bobs. Ali knew what we would need better than I did. Are those our horses tied up outside?"

"Yes I must take them round to the hotel stable. Is Ali still out side?"

"Yes he wants to know when you want to set off"

"Well we have everything how does, tomorrow suit you darling"

Susan nodded happily.

Ali was sitting in his cart and hopped down when David appeared.

"So do we have everything Ali" he asked.

"Yes Sir, I have only to fill the water barrel and skins and we can leave whenever you like"

"Tomorrow at dawn then, can you let N'debi know?"

Ali nodded his head happily "tomorrow at dawn then sir."

Chapter 31

N'debi was with three other men all off a similar stature to himself, dressed in kilts off either leopard or cheetah tails. Each carried an oval shield made off cattle skin with a short broad bladed spear and a club. They stood alongside Ali's cart has Susan, David and Martin rode down the alley way from the hotels stable.

The four men set off in a loping run with the three riders behind and Ali bringing up the rear.

The pace set by N'debi eat up the miles, by noon they had passed the last signs off road way, and now followed a faint track.

Now the vista off the veld has the countryside is called opened up before them. Mile after mile off rolling savannah with occasional trees or bushes to break the monotony. The far distance was shrouded in a heat haze;

David called a halt, by a group off trees that offered some shade, for both them and the horses.

Ali started a fire and soon had coffee ready for them. David watched has N'debi and his three companions took a ladle of water swished it around in his mouth and then spat it out. Susan noticed it too "They have to be super fit, we must have covered nearly twelve miles, and their pace has hardly altered."

When they resumed their journey Susan sat beside Ali in the cart, her horse tied to the back.

They began to see more game now, has herds off antelope would stop grazing and lift their heads to look at them as they passed. Susan clapped her hands in delight at the sight off a family off giraffe eating the leaves off a tree.

N'debi had trotted on a head off the group. They caught up with him has the sun started to set.

"We camp here Bwana" he murmured in his deep voice.

David nodded dismounting, N'debi came over to him, "There are antelope near here Bwana, come I will show you"

David followed him for about a quarter of a mile, until he dropped suddenly onto his hands and knees, David followed suite, then crawled up alongside off him.

A small herd off antelope were drinking from a water hole. N'debi pointed to a young buck about 200 yards away.

David brought up the Winchester, adjusted the sight, then sighted and fired. The buck dropped has if pole axed. The herd scattered, N'debi leapt to his feet and ran towards the downed animal.

In mere minutes he had skinned and butchered it, placing all the edible portions into the skin, which he tied up, slinging it over his shoulders.

"The Bwana shoots straight" he said has they made their way back to the camp.

When they got there David was surprised to find the camp encircled with a wall off thorn bushes. Once inside the gap into the camp one off N'debi men's pulled a bush closing off the gap.

David looked closely at the thorn bush, the thorns were over an inch and half long.

Ali already had a fire going and N'debi laid the skin bundle at his feet.

The tents were already erected, and Susan was sat outside one drinking coffee while Martin watered and fed the animals.

She chuckled has David looked around the campsite, "They obviously have done this many times" she said, "Ali said they call those bushes 'Wait a Minute' thorn bushes, it was amazing at the speed they worked at"

David saw the men making their own fire well away from theirs.

"I found out quite a bit about them from Ali" Susan murmured, "they are all Matabele, N'debi is a sort off chief, but there's only about twenty left in his tribe.

There was a war with the Afrikaners hundreds of miles away, and they lost everything, their wealth was gauged by how many cattle they owned, and between the Afrikaners and disease they lost even them.

N'debi is trying to start a new life for them here, so they hire out has guides until they can find a home for themselves, its sad really"

"You can tell their proud people in the way they act. I like them" David murmured.

The antelope steaks were delicious, as was the corncobs smeared with butter. David and Martin sat with a glass off scotch listening to the sound off hyenas laughing in the distance. "They've found the carcase of the antelope" David observed.

Martin smiled "it's on nights like this, that you're glad to be alive" he said whimsically.

It took another day before the hills started to rise up before them, and a further day before N'debi found the stream. David reckoned they had climbed almost a thousand feet before finding it. They followed it until they reached the wall of rock exactly has Guy had described it.

They followed the wall until they reached the gap, then gasped once through it.

It was everything Guy had said and more. They moved up the slope of the crater up to the top setting up camp by the small lake. Once camp was set up Martin started taking soil samples.

David had his arm around Susan's waist "Do you think you could be happy living here darling" he asked.

She looked up to him "with you and this land who wouldn't be."

He went out with N'debi and shot a buck for dinner. Has N'debi skinned it he turned to David "Does the Bwana think off buying this land" he asked.

"I think so N'debi, I would raise cattle and horses on it if I did".

"This is good land, cattle would grow fat on it Bwana"

"If I did, I would need help. Men who knew how to look after cattle and be able to build homes here for their families, such men could have cattle of their own and land to plant crops on. Do you know off such men N'debi?"

He stared at David for a few seconds, "I know off men who would defend your land with their lives Bwana."

"Then I would have such men come and live here with me," he said shaking N'debi's hand, knowing a pack had been made between them.

When they got back Martin had his soil test results, "It's fantastic, this soil is even better than back home, it's perfect for horses and cattle David. The outer edges off the crater could benefit from irrigation canals to improve the water supply for the grass. But that's a minor job."

David chuckled at his enthusiasm "So Martin if I buy it will you and Jill come out and take charge off rearing both the horses and cattle"

"Like a shot David it's what we've always wanted to do."

Later that night around the campfire they made plans.

David and Susan along with N'debi would return to Nairobi and buy the land, he would organise for builders to come out and build homes for him and Martin, and the materials that Martin would need for paddocks. N'debi would bring his people out to the crater and settle in.

He and Susan would return to India and resign, and then return. Once back Martin would return to England and buy the cattle needed to start the herd and return with Jill.

The last thing was to ask Ali if he would work for him has cook, which he accepted with obvious delight.

They set off back the next morning; without the cart they made it back to Nairobi in less than two and a half days.

David opened an account with the local bank with £100,000 and then went to the land office of the East African Company. The man in charge was surprised when David pointed to a spot on the map.

"There's no agriculture land out there just raw veldt and hills."

"So how much is it" David asked.

The man looked astonished at David "you could have it for £1 a square mile" he said.

"Fine I'll have a hundred and fifty square miles then, indicating the hills."

The man drew an oblong block that took in the hills and an area before them. David paid him the hundred and fifty pounds and had the deed notified legally.

Outside he told a delighted Susan "We now own a hundred and fifty square miles of Africa"

Their next stop was to an architect, office were they picked out a design for their home. The young architect agreed to personally undertake the supervising the building of it and any subsequent building that were needed, especially when he found out that another home would be required.

He told N'debi he had bought the land and he would need to guide the builders to the crater, bringing out a large smile on N'debi's face.

They left Mombasa the following week crossing the Arabian Sea to Karachi and on to Kana.

Chapter 31

Peshawar showed then into the Prince's presence "Welcome home my Son, how was the honeymoon" the Prince asked.

David replied it had been fine and the order for the new Mortars and shells had gone off without a hitch.

The Prince looked keenly at David, "Something is troubling you what is it?"

David started by thanking him for his generosity on behalf of Susan and himself. But explained that his work with the Rifles was complete, "you have a force that can guard the Pass now without my help any more.

The officers under your command are more than adequate for the task. But Susan and I need to build a home for our self's away from a military life. I have bought land in East Africa and intend to raise horses and cattle on it. But should you ever have need of me, I shall return immediately."

The Prince had a sad smile on his face when David had finished.

"I have expected this when you got married, and I'm delighted that you have finally found something to live for. You are not resigning your commission, merely retiring, has such you still shall still receive a pension.

Now you shall need good breeding stock for your horses, Ashar Kahn will select them for you.

David I regard you has my son, the service you have given me, and my kingdom goes far beyond normal duty. You will always find a home here in Kana."

He had Kahn saddled and rode out to the Fort.

He received a warm welcome from the men has he rode in. Hanga was overjoyed to welcome him back.

He called an Officers Call and when they were assembled he broke the news to them about his retiring his commission. Their faces fell and began to protest, but he calmed them down.

"My last command will be to announce my successor, and that will be Turin he is to be promoted Colonel off the 1st Khana Rifles. Turin appeared shocked has the others clapped him on his back.

Later alone with David he asked where he was going. David told him off East Africa and the Crater and his hope to raise horses and cattle.

"You will need help out there, Gurkha help. I have a problem that could be solved by you Sahib. Some off the men have found Kana girls, but their families are set against them. They would be indebted to you if you would take them with you."

David frowned "how many men" he asked.

"Eleven Sahib, they could take their horses and weapons with them, and I would ensure you had ammunition. The Prince himself suggested this might be a way off overcoming the problem, for them to move away."

David agreed but only if the men were told were they were going, and what lay ahead of them.

Then it was Hangar's turn has soon has he entered his quarters, news had travelled swiftly, "Colonel Sahib is it true you are leaving us" he asked.

David nodded "Yes old friend".

"But you will be taking me with you. Who else can look after you and Kahn and Sulkie" he protested.

David smiled at him "if you really want to come, then so be it".

The next morning David met the eleven Gurkhas who wished to go with him. All were young in their early twenties, Rham a Nike spoke for them all.

"Colonel Sahib like you we wish to start a new life with the woman of our choice, but that is impossible here, we would come with you"

David returned to the Palace where he met Ashar Kahn.

"My heart is heavy David for I hear you are leaving us" he murmured in greeting.

David said it was so, and explained why.

"It seems all the fledglings are leaving the nest, my son Patar has expressed a wish to join you. He would like to become a Horse Master in his own right. I cannot teach him anymore, he knows has much has I in the rearing off horses."

"I would value his companionship and knowledge father" David murmured.

Ashar smiled at the word father, "I have a surprise for you" he said walking along the stables, stopping at a small paddock. Sulkie was in it with her new foal.

"He is a fine colt the blood off kings flows through his veins" Ashar murmured.

David saw that he had a cream look about him, and realised he was a palomino.

Sulkie was pushing at his chest wanting him to fondle her, while the spindly-legged colt ducked his head to drink her milk.

"Hello darling have you missed me" he whispered softly to her has he scratched behind her ear.

"He will grow bigger than Kahn" Ashar predicted, "have you a name for him yet"

David smiled "Zeus, king off the gods in ancient Greece."

"A fine name for a fine animal. Now about the horses you want to breed, what are you looking for in them?"

"The country is vast, so stamina would be more important than speed. Also a strong constitution, there are diseases out there that a horse must overcome" he went on to describe the African Horse Sickness to Ashar.

"I have heard off this sickness and have seen it first-hand. But with care a horse can recover from it. Patar knows what to do should it strike. You will need five stallions and twenty breeding mares, you also have Kahn and Thor has well has Sulkie and Tana, not forgetting little Zeus. I will inform Patar, no doubt he will chose the horses, taking my best, for I have trained him too well."

It took five weeks to arrange for ship to transport them all over to East Africa helped in no small way by the Prince, who in the end charted a ship just for them and the animals.

A further two weeks to transport every one down to Karachi.

The Prince, Ashar Kahn and Princess Yasmin stood with Turin, Sultar and Rhama has they waved goodbye at the quayside has the ship set sail.

In Mombasa they had to lay on a special trains to transport them all to Nairobi.

David had to hire just about every wagon in town to take them to the crater.

By now he could see that wagons had come this way before, and they had formed a track.

David had sent a telegram to Martin telling him, of who was returning with him a month before they left, and asking him to have temporary accommodation ready for them.

When Patar saw the crater he beamed "horses were made for such land Sahib" he said.

David had noticed that a high gate had been put up across the gap, and realised it served two purposes to keep stock in the crater and intruders out.

Martin was waiting for him at the entrance, his eyes gleaming at the sight off the horses.

Introductions were made has they made their way up the crater to their house.

It was built in the colonial manner, single story supported on brick columns that lifted the house from the ground. A wide covered porch surrounded it, which David leant was called a stoop, in Afrikaans. While Hanga and Susan supervised the unloading off the furniture, he went round to the back to find the stables and paddocks.

That night Martin joined them for dinner along with Patar, the two off them hit it off from the start has they talked about horses and remedies for horse complaints.

Later sat out on the stoop enjoying a cheroot David looked down the crater watching the horses contentedly grazing. Martin murmured, "It's starting to take shape David, I'll leave at the end of the week, I can't wait until Jill sees this."

"Do you know what cattle we need Martin" he asked.

"Herefords to start off with, but I may cross them with a breed that is less prone to diseases like rhinderpest, which is the main problem in Africa."

"So how many would you need?"

"A good bull and fifteen or so cows but I'll also get some Jerseys for dairy use, say a bull and five cows. We'll start small and gradually build on them."

"I'll give you a cheque for £15,000 to get what you need for the animals, equipment and drugs you will need, if you need more you can draw on my account, I'll give you a covering letter. Also I ordered some rifles to be made for me. I'll give you the address and the amount off ammunition I'll need for them, you will need to pay for them."

Later Susan came out and joined them on the stoop. "Martin I've not had time to thank you for getting the house built, it's beautiful. Have you decided upon the house you and Jill will need."

Martin nodded, "They'll start on it when I leave Nairobi, but I wanted to make sure David would be happy were we are putting it."

"Where do you want to put it" David asked.

"On the other side off the lake from yours if that's alright" Martin replied.

"That's fine by me" David agreed "by the way where did N'debi settle his people?"

Martin chuckled "Over on the East side off the crater there's a natural sort off a box canyon, it's about 200 acres all told, they settled in there, they already have crops planted and their bee hive huts built."

"Can we ride over to see them David, I'll take my medical bag, in case it's needed" Susan asked.

David smiled and nodded, "I need to check up on the Gurkhas to see how they're settling in too"

Before turning in for the night he went round to the stables, Kahn, Thor and Tana had their heads out of the stalls but Sulkie was watching Zeus suckle her. He had a word with all off them.

RobinLane
RobinLane
337 Followers