The Tides Of War Pt. 10.5

Story Info
Part 10.5
6k words
4.81
26.7k
5

Part 12 of the 16 part series

Updated 06/07/2023
Created 02/11/2015
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
RobinLane
RobinLane
337 Followers

David grew stronger and began to ride around the crater on Zeus.

He met up with Martin one day out in the Crater at one off the cattle paddocks. Martin was inspecting some cattle inside off it.

"Good day Martin, I've not seen them before have I?"

Martin spun round smiling, "Hello David, of course I haven't told you have I" he replied, "I brought them from England. Part of my father's bequeathed, their French Limousine cattle, he left me a bull and six cows. Their hardy cattle with a good meat yield. I intend to try the bull on some off the Massi cattle."

He spoke with Martin for a further half an hour before continuing his ride.

When he returned to the house he found a grey stallion tied up outside that looked familiar.

On entering the house he found Robert Keeling chatting to Susan, but now he wore the rank of Lieutenant Colonel.

He came to his feet smiling extending his hand, David grasped it "Robert it's good to see you again."

Keeling grinned "Susan's been telling me about your run in with a leopard."

David smiled and nodded, "So what do we owe the pleasure off your company."

"Horses and cattle" he replied, "I'm on procurement duties at the moment. I stopped a Boer bullet in the arm, and was given light duties until I'm fit again. When I found out that this detail involved East Africa I jumped at it."

"So they roped you into this war then?" David asked.

Keeling's face fell grim, "They have had to rope everyone in, not only Britain but the Dominions has well, Australia, New Zealand and Canada. Kitchener has nearly two hundred thousand men chasing at best a thousand Boers.

He's had to throw away the old manuals on war and start writing a new one."

David looked keenly at him, "From what I've heard, some off the orders he has given don't come under the rules of war."

Keeling's eyes fell to the floor, "You mean the internment camps for the women and children, and the destruction off farms."

David nodded "That's if it is true."

"Unfortunately it true, women and children were dying in those camps through lack off food and disease in their hundreds. It's better now; a commission came out from England based on reports that horrified the British public.

The problem is, that Kitchener is under an enormous strain. The government wants the war ended, it's costing millions at the moment. The British public has turned against it, based on the casualty lists and the treatment off civilians. On top off that for every soldier killed by a Boer, four die off disease. Most off the recruits already have diseases when they come out from Britain; only one in five is fit for duty. It's has, I fear, the war has turned dirty."

Susan looked shocked at this disclosure.

"Oh we'll win in the end" Keeling said bitterly "That's what the press will say. But the reality is the Boers will give in rather than see their families suffer any more. But we never beat them on a field off battle. I can only hope that the generals will learn from this."

"This will create hatred for the British in South Africa that will last well into the future." David predicted.

"Enough off this talk of war" Susan said, "Robert you will stay the night, I'll have Hanga take care of your horse" she said rising.

After dinner David and Keeling took their whiskeys out on to the stoop, Keeling accepted a cheroot from David, lighting it he murmured, "You have found a wonderful home here David, this land must be unique for Africa."

"I suppose there must be other places like it if you look hard enough," he replied.

Keeling changed the subject.

"I managed to go to Kana before I was shipped over here. The Prince was eagerly awaiting the birth off his first grandchild. But Yasmin says she wants to go to university first, Sultar is a Major of the Royal guard, I think so that Yasmin can keep an eye on him." Keeling chuckled, "The Horse Master is virtually retired now, and he must be at least ninety. Out at the Fort, Colonel Turin has three full companies at the ready. Fifty men guard the Pass at all times, the Afghans know they are there, and leave them alone.

Turin married that assistant off Susan's, and has two fine boys now. Para returned to Nepal when he retired, and Hangar took over from him."

David smiled, remembering, "They were good men, all off them. A man couldn't ask for better soldiers."

"At the moment in India, I would say they were the best in that Country," Keeling added.

David nodded in agreement, "So regarding the horses and cattle you would like. I will have to talk to Patar and Martin in the morning to find out what we can spare."

Keeling managed to acquire forty-three horses and sixty-seven cattle off the various breeds. Between the Gurkhas and Matabele the herds were taken to Nairobi to the railhead.

Susan kissed Keeling on the cheek has he bid them farewell, "Take care of yourself Robert" she warned.

David shook his hand, "Don't be a stranger Robert" he said smiling.

Has they stood on the stoop watching him ride down the track to the entrance of the crater, David murmured, "There goes a man whose heart is not in the job."

Susan nodded smiling, "The Army needs more Officers like him, who have a conscience."

Chapter 40

The news arrived the following June. The war was over; the last commandos had finally surrendered rather than let their families suffer more.

There were no calibrations in Nairobi, only a dull acceptance off the news that peace had come at last to South Africa.

Even the most diehard off the farmers who had supported the British Army now realised the terrible sanctions that Kitchener had imposed on Boer families, and had changed their minds.

Not all the Boers had accepted the peace treaty, which required them to take an oath of allegiance to the British crown.

Some had gone into self-imposed exile, moving into the German areas off control, one of which'd boarded the Imperil East African Company's land and the other West Africa.

Six months after the surrender, two horsemen were seen entering the Crater. David watched from the stoop has they made their way up the track to the house.

They reined up in front of the house, but didn't dismount.

David saw that one was only a boy of fourteen or fifteen, but he carried a Mauser rifle over his shoulder. The man at his side was beaded and wore homespun clothing and a large slouch hat, was also carrying a rifle over his shoulders.

"Good day" David said pleasantly.

The older man nodded "Good day, I'm told you sell horses, can I buy some," said with a guttural accent.

"I do" David replied, "come inside and we'll discuss what you want."

The man looked at David before replying, "You may has well know that we're Boers, that didn't surrender to you British."

David smiled, "I guessed has much from your appearance," he said pleasantly.

"So you still will sell some to us" he asked dismounting and following David into the house.

"My name is Ramage, David Ramage, and this is my wife Susan," he said has way off introduction.

"I'm Paul Van Smit, and this is my son Willie" he said, "I was told you were a Colonel," Van Smit added.

David smiled "Colonel retired, from the Khana Rifles of his Majesty Prince Hazid Ibram Kahn of Kanda. Not the British Army Mr Van Smit."

Van Smit's expression relaxed a little at this information. "My son and I are trying to start a new home in the German protectorate. I lost my wife and three children in the internment camps. I don't have much money, but it is gold. My horses are worn out, but I have land now, it needs to be tilled and planted."

Susan cut into the conversation "Mr Van Smit would you and Willie care to join us for some lunch?"

Willie's eyes had been sweeping around the room, unused to seeing furniture of quality, his eyes suddenly swung round to Susan at the mention of food.

Van Smit lifted his head to look at her, "Madam my son and I do not seek charity or pity, but thank you for your offer."

Susan's eyes flashed, "Sir, I offer neither charity nor pity, only common courtesy, has any one would, to travellers in this land."

Van Smit recoiled at the ice in Susan's words.

"Forgive me Madam, we, my son and I have forgotten about kindness. If the offer still stands, we would like to break bread with you."

It was obvious that the two had not eaten much in the past, the way they sucked the meat from the chicken bones, Willie had three pieces off apple pie, before pushing his plate away.

"Madam it is many years since we had a meal like this, cooked by a woman." Van Smit said quietly.

David and Van Smit went out to the stoop for a smoke after the meal.

"Where is your land?" David asked.

"Across the river, I would think over sixty miles from here, you are my nearest neighbour, on that side off the river, the closes, is over eighty miles away."

"So you are a long way out from the nearest town then?" David murmured.

Van Smit smiled, "The further out you are the cheaper the land. The German administration encourages you to develop the land further out. But you have to prove you are working the land in order to get the grant."

"Do you have a plough and seed?" David asked

.

"We have what you see, but we will make a home there one way or another." He replied grimly.

David looked at him seeing the determination in his face and made a decision.

"Paul, I hope you don't mind me calling you that has we are neighbours. I'm going to give you the things you need to start your new life. When you have your farm making a profit you can pay me back then."

Van Smit looked confused at David "I don't understand what you mean" he stuttered.

David laughed, "You shall see my friend."

Three days later three heavy wagons drawn by mules left the crater, along with a Jersey bull and three cows. The horses Paul and Willie had arrived with, tied to the back off a wagon.

Paul now rode a fine stallion and Willie a mare.

Six off the Gurkhas went with them along with six Matabele's.

The night before they left, Paul and David had sat out on the stoop smoking and drinking scotch.

"David" Paul had asked "why are you doing all off this for us, we were your enemies."

David smiled "Paul the Boers were never my enemies. You were in a war, were for the ordinary soldier, the rules are clear, kill or be killed. The rights and wrongs off the war don't matter, only survival.

N'debi, who will be going with you to help build your farm, was once your enemy. The Boers drove them, the Matabele from their land and took their cattle. But he doesn't hate the Boers. He said you won and they lost, has simple has that.

The Gurkhas who will go with you once fought the British and lost.

But because of their fighting ability and devotion to duty they now fight on the side off Britain.

You see Paul it is not the colour off a man's skin or his beliefs, but the man himself, which you must respect. Give them that respect and you have a friend for life."

"But why are you helping my son and I David?"

"I'm giving you a chance to start over, to create a new life for the two off you, has someone once gave me that chance.

I don't expect you to forgive the British for what they did to you only that not all British people are like that. You have to judge the man, not the people."

They were gone for over five weeks before two off the wagons appeared on the track leading up to the house with the Gurkhas mounted behind.

Rham and N'debi climbed the steps to the stoop and stood before him.

"So how did it go" David asked them.

Rham smiled "the house is built and the ground cleared. The Sahib and his son worked from daylight to sunset breaking the ground to plant the seed.

We built paddocks for the cattle, horses and mules, also a chicken run sahib."

"Thank you both you have done well" David replied.

"The sahib's farm is less than a mile from the river. We warned him about slavers, and told him about the battles we had fought with them. He was interested in the Pass and how you had guarded it Sahib" Rham added.

David just smiled and nodded.

The following year Victoria Yasmin Ramage was born on the 24th May, Queen Victoria's birthday. Three months later Jill gave birth to twins, David and Susan Fletcher.

They all travelled to Nairobi, to the new church for the christening, David and Susan being the godmother and father to the twins, and Martin and Jill being godmother and father for Victoria.

David had ridden over on Zeus, to see how Paul and his son were making out on the farm.

They were prospering; David found natives were now helping them.

"I used your idea with the Matabele, giving them a parcel of land in return for their help. I'm growing coffee and flax, which are good cash markets; I'm producing cheese and butter, which sells well.

I've err met a woman in town and she has agreed to marry me. She's a good woman, farm stock. She came out from Holland with her husband, but he died off the fervour five years ago."

David smiled, "that's wonderful news Paul, and we'll give you four more Jerseys has a wedding present."

He stayed the night with them travelling back to the Crater the next day.

Chapter 41

The years rolled by and the Creator prospered, Nairobi grew larger with new settlers coming from all parts of Europe to find a new life in Africa.

Susan had been asking him to take the family back home to England so she could show the children to her parents, but he always found an excuse to put it off.

Finally in late 1911 he took Susan and the children to England to see their Grandparents.

After an initial stay with them he travelled back to London so Susan could see her old Professor and catch up on medical developments, whilst he travelled on to Birmingham to see Henry and Peter.

Sat in Henry's study he was brought up to date with developments in Europe.

"Europe is rearming David. The Kiser has begun building a fleet to challenge the size off the Royal Navy. Their armaments factories are churning out guns, big guns, and the army has been trebled. The French have followed suite, but has usual Britain is lagging behind.

Europe is a tinder box where a spark will set it off."

Peter took up the story, "If it comes to war it could be on a scale never before imagined, fought with weapons never before used on such a mass scale. They have machine guns that fire 600 rounds a minute. And the British Army increases its cavalry size, the idiots.

They've developed chemical weapons in the form off gas that can be delivered by artillery. It would make the Boer War look like a picnic party."

David sat and digested this alarming news before commenting. "German East Africa is only sixty miles from the Crater. Would they dare attack us there?"

"David" Henry replied "if war comes it will be on a worldwide stage."

"Then it's only prudent that I prepare for it, to defend my home." David replied.

Before he left for London he placed an order for three Vickers machine guns, three Mortars and 400 various mortar bomb configurations. Ten .303 rifles and 250,000 rounds of ammunition, he left instructions with them to include anything else they thought would be off help.

On his way back on the train he remembered what Peter had said about it being a mechanised war if it came. The internal combustion engine was being used now in increasing numbers. He had seen evidence off this in the streets of London and Birmingham.

When he reached the Ascot Hotel he found a message waiting for him. A Colonel Keeling hoped he would dine with him, the following night at his club in the Strand; an address had been attached to the message.

David smiled, it would be good to catch up with Robert again, but he was perplexed has to how he known he had been in England.

He was conducted by an ex-military Serjeant into the smoking room off the Officers Club. The room was filled off paintings off long ago battles that hung from the dark oak panels that surrounded the room. Leather armchairs were spread around, were men were drinking, some in uniform.

Robert rose from an armchair a wide smile on his face with his hand extended.

"David, it's wonderful to see you again looking fit and healthy."

Robert passed over an order for drinks to a hovering waiter, before settling back into his seat again.

After replying to the state off the family and home, David asked the question that had troubled him.

"How on earth did you know we were in England," he asked.

Robert smiled, "these are troubled times we live in David; any one entering the country is reported from immigration control. The names are checked against a register. It so happened that I noticed a Mr and Mrs Ramage and family arriving from East Africa. I hope you will forgive me but I contacted Henry in Birmingham with instructions to inform me if you purchased any armaments. That's why you got the message."

David looked alarmed, "I've not broken any laws by that have I," he asked.

Robert smiled, "oh course not, the reason was to find out if you took the warnings off war seriously".

"Well I'm not sure if I do or not, but it seemed only prudent to be prepared for the worst," David replied.

Robert relaxed visibly, "David that's exactly the reply I had hoped from you. I'm afraid there will be a war eventually, perhaps not this year but in a year or two, all the signs are there but some in the War Office have blinkers on and refuse to see what is before them.

I'm head off a department that is looking at safe guarding our overseas interests, directly reporting to the Foreign Office.

Now what I'm about to say is top secret. Those areas of the globe that back on to German territory will be exposed in the event off a war breaking out.

The German standing army far exceeds our own. If war does break out the main battlefield will be Europe, and we will need every man to defend England.

To some extent East Africa will be on its own. What troops that can be sent, will go to the Cape to resist an attack from German West Africa." Robert paused to let what he had said sink in.

"If East Africa is to be defended, then it will be up to the East Africans to defend it. We can supply arms and ammunition but not manpower at the moment. What is needed is a territorial army to be raised and trained."

David thought hard on what Robert had said before replying.

"You may get a hundred, perhaps a hundred and fifty men who could fight. But bear in mind most are farmers with their own businesses to run."

Robert nodded his head, "Yes I'm aware off that but what about the professional hunters, they know the land and can shoot."

"Perhaps fifty or sixty, not many to defend against an army," David acknowledged.

"How would you conduct a war like that with those men?" Robert asked.

David smiled, "well no set piece battles that's for sure. It would have to be hit and run, disrupt their supply lines. Only attack when you can be sure off winning." He said grimly.

"In other words," Robert said "adopt Boer commando tactics."

David nodded.

"David I'm empowered to offer you the commission off Colonel in the British Army reporting directly to me alone. You would have a free hand to organise and train the men to your own standards. Further you could also have 300 Ghurkhas from Kana in your command."

David looked astonished at Robert, "I don't understand Ghurkhas from Kana?"

Robert chuckled, "The Prince was in England four months ago to escort his daughter back from university; she'd been at Oxford. I had occasion to speak to him whilst he was in London. He agreed with me regarding the state off things in Europe, and when I mentioned how venerable East Africa would be in the event off war, he himself suggested that the 1st Khana Rifles would serve, so long has it was under your command."

RobinLane
RobinLane
337 Followers
12