The Tides Of War Pt. 11

Story Info
Part 11.
2.9k words
4.79
30.2k
6

Part 13 of the 16 part series

Updated 06/07/2023
Created 02/11/2015
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
RobinLane
RobinLane
337 Followers

David organised training involving setting up and firing the Vickers and Mortars until every man was familiar at doing it. This included their transportation by mules.

News filtered in that the Germans were expanding their force and a regiment of German soldiers had arrived from Europe along with artillery. Askari's were being recruited and trained and tensions were rising all along the eight hundred miles that divided the two countries. Maasi reports came in that Askari's along with white men had been seen checking the various fords of the river along the boundary of the country.

A month later David called for a meeting of all officers at the Crater. When they were all assembled he pointed to the map that Martin had now completed.

"It looks gentleman that if they do invade then the likely spot that they will cross the river is here at Mamboie Ford. I say that because of two reasons; one it's the firmest of the fords, and secondly it's the most direct route to Nairobi. If they intend to bring artillery, then that's the place I would cross."

He paused to let that register before continuing, "The problem with that route is that it's a hundred and twenty miles to Nairobi, and no water to speak of for ninety miles of it. They'll have to use bullocks to pull the guns so their rate of progress will be slow, say ten or fifteen miles a day. They will have no choice but to have water brought from the river to re-supply them. It's my intention that once they are fifty miles or so into our land to stop that supply."

He looked around the room, "Any questions?"

Sultar spoke, "How many men will be in the invading force Colonel?"

"The best estimate going on current information is in excess of a thousand."

.

"What if they don't bring artillery, what then?" Stanley asked.

David smiled, "I'm banking on the German attention to detail. They are past masters in the use of artillery and as they have artillery they'll use it if they can. Also, the new commander of their Army has arrived from Germany and he served as an artillery officer during the Franco-German War."

Bill who was a lieutenant in Stanley's troop said, "That's just rolling bush out there; not much cover at all."

David smiled again, "Another good reason for them picking it. But here two miles away from the track is a rift; it's more like a blind canyon, very narrow and about thirty feet deep stretching six hundred yards or so. I've ridden out and seen it; you could hide a troop in there without it being seen."

Stanley spoke again, "David you realise the Crater is on their way to Nairobi? They must know about the cattle and horses you have, not to mention the water."

David nodded, "I've thought of that. They have a bad habit of living of the land so it makes sense for them to try for it. So I'm keeping a troop back to guard it. They'll have four machine guns and four of the mortars. I've also told the local Maasi chiefs what is likely to happen to their herds if they come. They'll move north-east when they get the word."

"So it all depends on them doing what you propose Colonel?" Sultar murmured. "But you have not said which troop will be doing what?"

David looked grim, "It's all speculation I'll admit at the moment which may change as time goes on. But as of now, based on what I know, then Captain Tartrha along with myself will be in the rift. Captain Stanley with his troop will be in front of the column, creating mischief as and when appropriate. Whilst Lieutenant Rham's troop, with you in overall command will be responsible for the defence of the Crater."

David could see the look of disappointment on Sultar's face at this news.

Later he spoke to him, "Sultar, I know you want to be where the action is but your wife and daughter, as well as my wife and children along with others' wives and families are dependent on the Crater being kept safe. If I can't be here to do that, then I want my very best man to keep them safe for me."

Sultar looked at David and nodded, "You are right David, I will defend the Crater to the last drop of my blood."

David smiled, "I know my friend... I know."

A new energy overtook the commando now and patrols covered the expected route looking for ambush points along the way. A well was drilled in the rift and water was discovered; not in a great quantity but sufficient to create a small pool.

Training took on a new urgency and David looked on with satisfaction at the rapport between the hardened professional hunters and the Ghurkhas.

Chapter 43

Five weeks later Robert Keeling appeared at the Crater dressed in civilian clothes. Susan hugged him and made him welcome. Over dinner, with Sultar and Yasmin present, he explained his visit.

"I'm on a tour of strategic areas where there is likely to be conflict in the event of war.

I've just been down to Cape Town to see how they are organised. When I leave here I'll be going around the Horn of Africa and travelling up the Red Sea through to Suez. The Canal is vital to us. But we have learned of an impending treaty with the Ottoman Empire and Germany which could be a threat if they decide to move against Suez."

They listened with dismay at Robert's disclosures.

"So if war does come," Susan exclaimed, "it will be fought on a global scale?"

Robert nodded, "Yes, it will be a world war; fought on land, sea and air."

Sultar frowned, "Air? I don't understand," he murmured.

Robert smiled, "Flying machines have undergone a rapid development since the Wright Brothers' flight, in Europe by the Germans, French, and us. They're mainly used for artillery spotting and reconnaissance at the moment but we know Germany is looking at developing aircraft that could carry bombs. They already have giant balloons made by Count Zeppelin that can do that. In fact our agents have discovered that two aircraft were shipped out here to East Africa."

David looked at Sultar at this news.

Later he and Sultar showed Robert into his study to see the progress they had made in their preparations. Robert studied the maps and listened to David's thoughts regarding the German's attack plans.

"I concur regarding the attack route David, the only thing I would add is if they do use aircraft, it will be to reconnoitre their attack route first. You would be wise to make sure you are not seen."

Robert left two days later saying to expect more shipments from England.

At one of the officers meetings David discussed the threat of aircraft spotting them in the rift.

Stanley came up with the answer, "When we take up position at a water hole to give a customer a clear shot, we put a net hide over us to stop the birds giving the alarm. It's just a fishing net with strips of sacking woven into it. Seen from the top of a tree it's amazing how it blends in with the land below."

David smiled at the disclosure, "We could get big nets from Mombasa and connect them together."

Stanley agreed to go to Mombasa and buy some, and Sultar said the Ghurkhas would see to the sacking.

David staked out an area at the bottom of the crater to reproduce the length and width of the rift. Sultar's men then connected the nets together and began lacing the sacking into them. Some of the sacks had been dyed various colours of green and brown. Other nets were to be used for Stanley's troop. When completed they were carefully rolled up and placed on a wagon.

It took the two Ghurkha troops three days to erect it level with the rift edge, whilst lookouts kept vigil on the horizon. Clumps of grass and bushes were added to the nets until David was satisfied.

Two crates arrived from England marked as farming equipment. When they unpacked them, they found more .303 ammunition in one, but the second contained three strange looking guns.

There was a letter inside written by Peter from Birmingham. It explained the guns were called Lewis light machine guns, being made by the Birmingham Small Arms Company under licence from America.

That evening Sultar, Tartrha, Rham and David studied the three guns in his study, referring to the manuals that came with them. They examined the flat round magazines that were attached to the top of the gun, which according to the manual could hold ninety-seven rounds of .303 ammunition, with a firing rate of six hundred rounds a minute. There were twelve magazines in the crate. The machine guns were much lighter than the Vickers and could be fired by one man. The four men spent most of the night reading and examining the weapon until they were fairly conversant with it.

The next day having cleaned them and loading four of the magazines, they took them down to the rifle range to try them out, accompanied by the two Ghurkha troops. David was immediately impressed with the guns performance.

He told Sultar and Tartrha, "We'll use two of them at the rift; they will be ideal if aircraft do appear. The third will go to Stanley's troop for the same reason. That means you will have four more Vickers for the defence of the Crater, Sultar."

Word was sent to Stanley to bring his troop to the crater and Tartrha and Sultar showed them the operation and care of the Lewis gun, letting each man try in turn.

Messages from the Maasi indicated a large military camp was forming across the river near Mamboie, and that giant birds had been seen in the skies. Some of the tribes in the area had been crossing the river driving what few cattle they had left after the Germans had commandeered them. This news had made the Maasi on their side to begin to start moving north-east.

David started moving supplies and ammunition during the cover of night down to the rift along with fodder and oats for the horses. Ten of Tartrha's men moved into the rift to keep guard and observe. News came back that aircraft had been seen flying over their side of the river following the track to Nairobi.

David called for a council of war of all officers and senior NCOs.

"I fear gentlemen that hostilities will shortly break out here. We won't know if war has been declared in Europe for a few days due to the time delay in information reaching us. Therefore if the enemy cross the river, I will take that as a declaration of war and that hostilities have begun.

"It is my intention to man the rift starting tomorrow night. Captain Stanley's troop will hold here in readiness to harass the enemy's vanguard."

He looked around the assembled men.

"I'm not fighting for God and the King, but for my family, home and land, and I'm prepared to die for that principle. Each of you will have your own reason to fight... I wish us luck gentleman in the days ahead.

Chapter 44

That day, uniforms and rifles were distributed; men sat round loading clips and putting them into their bandoliers.

During the evening he said good-bye to Susan and the children; Hanga had packed his saddlebags and bedroll onto Zeus along with his rifle in its scabbard. One of the .45 Colt Automatics was put in his saddle holster, and he wore the other in his belt holster along with his kukri.

Outside he said farewell to Martin and Jill, before turning to Sultar, "Keep them safe old friend," he murmured.

"With my life David," he replied.

Then with N'debi trotting on ahead and Tartrha at his side, the troop moved off down the track to the entrance.

The Havildar in charge of guarding the entrance stopped David.

"Colonel, a native just delivered this letter for you. I was just about to send it up to your home," he said handing over the letter.

David haltered the column and dismounted going into the guard hut to read it.

It was from Paul, written in a hasty hand. Basically he and his son were not taking sides, but Askari's had raided his farm forcibly enlisting his young workers into their ranks and stealing chickens and three of his Jersey cows. He had been powerless to stop it. They would have taken more but a German officer had arrived to stop them. The officer had apologised, but said they needed food for the coming invasion and had let slip that they would get more cattle and horses once they were across the river. This could only be the Crater, Paul wrote, and urged David to leave before they arrived.

Before remounting, David gave the letter back to the Havildar with orders to send it to Major Sultar.

They reached the rift in the dead of the night and as soon as they were under the netting, the horses were unsaddled and taken away. Guards were placed around the rim of the rift and the men were told to get some sleep.

Caves had been dug into the sides of the rift by the troops on their frequent visits to it. Not only for personal use but also for storing food and ammunition, Tartrha showed David to his cave that had been provided for him. It was around eight feet deep and seven feet wide and a blanket hung across the doorway. Inside a small table and stool had been provided for him along with a bunk bed alongside of which stood a small packing case. David lit the paraffin lamp that hung from a root in the ceiling.

Over the next half hour his saddle and saddlebags, bedroll and rifle were returned to him, as he settled down to the first night in the rift.

The next morning after breakfast, N'debi along with a Ghurkha carrying a telescope went towards the river to keep watch.

The men were kept busy attending to the horses, cleaning their weapons or improving their living conditions. The weather was hot, being late July the sun blazed down from a cloudless sky, but at least in the rift they were protected from the worst of it.

David knew water would be the main problem, so he had ordered that the men keep their water bottles filled and to keep the water skins full from the slow trickle of the pool.

When dusk fell N'debi and the Ghurkha returned. They had witnessed mounted men with strange headgear and carrying long spears entering the ford and placing sticks on both sides of it.

David was slightly alarmed at this news. Cavalry... they had cavalry and by the description they were Uhlans, a crack German lancer cavalry unit. They must have been marking the edges of the ford he reasoned.

The next day N'debi and a Ghurkha left while it was still dark.

They saw their first aircraft that day. When the alarm was sounded David climbed to the edge of the rift with his telescope. The aircraft was flying along the track on their side of the river, sometimes circling around on either side of it. At one point it flew directly over the rift, and David could see two men in it, as it was only about two hundred feet high. It continued to fly around before heading back across the river. When N'debi and the Ghurkha returned at dusk they reported dense dust clouds forming on the other side of the river.

That night he sent a dispatch back to the Crater, saying invasion was imminent.

David looked at his calendar... tomorrow would be the fourth of August.

He left with N'debi while it was still dark, finding a secure vantage point to observe the ford a quarter of a mile away.

As the first light lit the ford, twenty Uhlans crossed over fanning out around the track, followed by some two hundred Askari's. They were followed by a full company of white German soldiers wearing points on the top of their helmets. After them came more Askari's then the bullocks appeared, six to each of the three artillery pieces. David judged them to be six-inch howitzers.

It took most of the day for the column to cross the ford; the rear being brought up by thirty more Uhlans.

David estimated that in excess of 1300 enemy troops were now on his side of the river.

As darkness fell, he and N'debi returned to the rift.

Over the next seven days he noticed a routine being established by the German column. At dawn an aircraft would appear and fly ahead of it, returning to wag its wings over it, as if to confirm ahead was clear.

By now the column had passed the rift and was some forty odd miles from the river. On a good day it averaged about eight miles, being held up by the guns. Each day thirty or so carts would appear from the river carrying provisions and large earthenware jugs filled with water for the men and livestock. Normally an Askari rode on each wagon.

To be continued

RobinLane
RobinLane
337 Followers