The Trail West Ch. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Josh stood staring at Rafe and Barry. "Boys if I were you, I'd pay attention to what he said. I've never heard him threaten anyone. He normally acts instead of talkin. And just so you know, if he comes for you, I'll be comin too."

Rafe and Barry turned and hurried into the saloon as Josh went to join Red. "Damn Red, what about not goin off half cocked?"

"I didn't, they're still breathin aren't they. I promised not to take the law into my own hands and I didn't. I just gave those boys a friendly warnin. Well, maybe it wasn't so friendly but I did warn them instead of shootin them."

Josh looked at his friend for a few seconds and then smiled. "C'mon let's go meet Sarah and Danni."

The ladies were waiting for them when they got to the boarding house and after bundling up against the cold they all walked to the café for supper. All four of them took off their coats and the girls saw that in addition to having been to the barber shop that the boys were wearing new clothes.

"Did you feel you had to get dressed up to talk to Sheriff Horton, Red?" Sarah asked grinning.

Red smiled and blushed. When Danni turned to Josh she didn't even have to ask the question to get him flustered. "Well we thought Maggie might like to see us all cleaned up," Red responded.

This got all of them laughing. When they settled down, Josh said, "There is something we should discuss." Red nodded and Sarah and Danni waited to hear what Josh had to say.

"With the rustlin from the Maggie M and Carl getting shot we think one or both of us should escort you ladies between town and the ranch," Josh suggested.

Sarah said, "We're grown women and can take care of ourselves Josh. We don't need babysittin." She wasn't happy with Josh's idea.

"Yeah, you can take care of yourselves alright. Just like the day we meet you when Rafe and his friends were about to get all friendly with you," Red replied with an impish grin.

"Really Sarah, things are getting real serious around here. Your folks would feel better if you had someone with you. Let at least one of us ride back and forth with you for their peace of mind," Josh requested. "And for mine," he mumbled under his breath.

"What was that last part?" Danni asked. She knew very well what Josh had mumbled and was touched at his concern.

"It'd make both Red and I feel better if at least one of us was with you." Josh grinned and continued, "If nothing else we can keep Sarah from shootin some poor soul who only wanted to say hello. I heard you've gotten a little trigger happy with that pistol Sarah."

Sarah sputtered and tried to argue with Josh but everyone started laughing at her and then she laughed too. "Okay Josh, we give up. One of you can come meet us and then ride back with us, but only one. There's too much going on at the ranch to have both of you gone. Agreed?"

"I knew you'd see it our way. How could you gals pass up riding all alone with two handsome cowboys like Josh and me?" Red teased the girls. But deep down he was glad that he and Josh would provide protection for them. There's bound to be more trouble and I don't want them caught in the middle, Red thought.

Danni said that she would arrange to have her work day end on Friday at 3 PM; the same time Sarah got finished at school. Then the girls and their escort for the day could make it back to the ranch before full dark. The days had gotten shorter as the winter season rolled in; it got full dark around 6 PM.

After dinner on the way back to the boarding house Red and Sarah lagged behind; Josh and Danni were in the parlor for almost 20 minutes before they showed up. Waiting for the other two, Josh was a little shy talking to Danni. Finally to get him to talk more Dannie asked about his two favorite horses, Diablo and Sunny.

"I've had Sunny for 4 years or so and he's as good a horse as I've ever known; maybe with the exception of Diablo," Josh said.

"Which one is faster Josh?" Danni asked to keep his talking. He relaxed when he talked about his horses and she could see more of the real Josh.

"Depends on what you mean by faster. If you ran them both at a gallop from here to the S Bar S, Diablo would be there about 15 to 20 minutes before Sunny. You'd have to give Diablo a breather before he could start back; a horse that big uses up a lot of energy running that hard. Sunny on the other hand you could turn around and start right back and he'd still be running at the same speed. He probably would be back at the start more than an hour ahead of Diablo."

"So Sunny is faster over a long distance?"

"I guess you could say that. But both of them can go at a lope all day long, day after day. If I wanted to get to someplace like Pueblo in a hurry I'd take Diablo; but if I had to turn around and come right back without resting my horse, I'd take Sunny," Josh replied. "But no matter which horse you'd take you'd be riding one of the best in the Colorado. Or any place else for that matter," Josh said with pride.

Danni was smiling at Josh's intensity and obvious love for his horses. She took his hand in hers and said, "See, it's not that hard to talk to me. Is it?"

Josh returned her smile and shook his head. "Don't know of anyone I'd rather be talking to Danni."

Before either of them could say anything more, Red and Sarah come through the door and into the parlor. "Where have you two been?" Danni asked teasing them.

"I was showing Sarah how to find what direction is north by using the North Star," Red deadpanned.

"Sarah already knows how to use the North Star," Danni replied.

"Well now she knows how to use it the Texas way," Red responded. "Besides, there's no such thing as too much education. Right Sarah?"

Red's antics made all of them laugh. After the girls quit giggling, Josh said, "Hate to break this up but we need to head back to the ranch. C'mon Red, let's hit the trail."

Red realized that none of the boarders were around and Mrs. Cassidy was busy in the kitchen. He pulled Sarah to him and kissed her; telling her he would see her Friday. Sarah returned the kiss for a few seconds and then pulled back blushing. Red gave her a big grin and walked out the front door.

Danni followed Josh to the door and just before he left she kissed him on the cheek and said, "Thanks for a lovely evening Josh. I hope we can talk some more this weekend at the ranch."

On the way to the stable to get their horses, Red said, "Josh, if you don't quit smiling your face will freeze that way in this cold."

"I could say the same thing to you Red. If it gets too dark on the way back to the ranch we can use your smile to light our way."

Both men laughed and mounted their horses for the hour ride back to the Maggie M. Arriving back at the ranch, Josh and Red sat on the porch with Daniel. They told him about Carl being shot and their discussion with the Sheriff. Daniel agreed the water rights could be the reason behind all the trouble. The boys decided that Daniel didn't need to know about Red's warning to Rafe and Barry.

That Friday afternoon Red rode into Fountain to escort the ladies back to the ranch. Daniel and Maggie felt better with Red or Josh riding with their daughters. Maggie had a big supper waiting when the three got to the ranch. Jerry and Jacob took the horses to the barn and soon after everyone sat down for the big meal.

Sarah and Danni talked about their days in town and all the gossip about the town's people. They were told about what was happening on the Maggie M. The plans for getting new stock in the spring, the changes planned for the bunk house, and a new well that they planned to dig come spring when the ground thawed out.

After supper Red went to the barn to make sure Jasper had been properly taken care of after the ride in the cold. Sarah decided to keep him company. Maggie smiled to herself thinking about the possibility of a wedding in the spring. The two young people had been gone for about 30 minutes and Daniel decided he'd go see if there was a problem.

Josh and Danni spoke at the same time saying, "I'll go." They laughed and then both went to check on the missing two. They knew that there was more going on than Red taking care of his horse. As Josh and Danni got close to the barn, they started talking in loud voices as a warning to Red and Sarah.

Before they got all the way to the barn, Red and Sarah came out and joined them. "Let's get back to the house," Red suggested. "It's gettin real cold out here."

Walking back to the house Danni helped Sarah brush the hay off the back of her clothes and out of her hair. Sarah was red in the face but Red had a Texas size grin on his.

Back in the house Jacob was sent to bed and Jerry wandered off to the bunk house. The rest of the group had a last cup of coffee before retiring.

"Was your horse okay Red? Daniel asked. "You were gone so long I thought there might be something wrong."

"Yes sir, he's fine. I was just makin sure," Red replied with a sly grin.

Daniel started to say more but Maggie nudged him in the ribs with her elbow. "Hush now Dan," she said in a quiet voice. Daniel looked at Maggie, bewildered. What did I say? He thought. He started to ask Maggie about the elbow but she said, "Time for bed. See you in the morning boys."

As the boys left, the girls went to their room, and Daniel and Maggie went to theirs. We're goin to have a talk before we get to sleep tonight, Daniel promised himself.

They got into bed and Daniel asked, "What was that elbow and you shushing me about Maggie?"

"You're a good man Dan but sometimes you don't see things right in front of you. Red and Sarah are falling in love; they're young and they like to spend some time alone. You askin about why it took so long just embarrassed Sarah."

"You don't think Red and Sarah are doing anything ...er ... er improper do you?

"No more than we did when we were courtin. Remember that hay ride we went on the night you ask me to marry you?"

"Yeah I do," Daniel answered and chuckled. "And I remember that you're daddy almost took a bull whip to me that night. He would've too if I hadn't told him we were gettin hitched."

The next morning Daniel asked Josh to ride out with him to check on the cattle. "There's weather coming in the next few days and I want to scout out the grazing situation." They found most of the cattle grazing near a canyon that would provide shelter for them in the upcoming storms. Daniel pulled up on top of the rise and turned to Josh.

"Josh, I want you to know that I respect you and preciate the help you've given my family."

"Thanks Daniel. I like your family and you've all been very good to Red, Jerry, and me.

"I feel the same way about Red. I know he and Sarah are gettin close, so I need to know what kind of man he really is. So I'm asking for your help here. Will he make a good husband for Sarah?"

"People don't take Red seriously because he's always laughin and making jokes. But don't under estimate him Daniel. He's as good a friend as I've had and as good a man as I've ever met. I've trusted him with my life several times and would do it again. Like I said before he's a good man to have with you and a very bad one to have against you. Yeah, he'd make a good husband for Sarah."

"That's good to know. I like Red but I worry about my daughter."

"Daniel, the only thing to worry about is when someone tries to hurt or harm his friends or the people he cares for; he don't like people pushin him neither. When someone threatens him or his he changes and becomes harder; the laughter goes away and he get as serious as hell. He'll do anything to defend his own and he don't worry about what comes after," Josh admitted.

"I worry about him being so good with that pistol of his. I wouldn't like to think he's on the prod."

"I've never seen anyone better than Red. But I've never seen him do more than protect himself or his friends. He don't go looking for trouble Daniel, but if it finds him he can handle it. I told you before, he's not a gunfighter."

"That's good enough for me," Daniel said. "Let's get back to the house before I freeze my tail off.

Sunday afternoon late both Josh and Red rode back to Fountain with the girls. They decided that this would be the last trip until Thanksgiving. School would close at Thanksgiving until after the first of the year and Sarah would be home for all of December. Danni had made arrangements at the freight office to take off also. There wasn't that much to do as the freight wagons didn't run but every two weeks or so during the winter.

Thanksgiving dinner at the Maguires reminded Josh of his family back in Missouri. He was happy to be with his new friends but the holiday made him a little home sick. Josh sat on the front porch thinking about his parents, family, and the farm; Danni came out to join him. She brought a blanket with her, sat down next to him, and wrapped it around the both of them against the cold night air.

Josh looked at her smiling face and all of a sudden he forgot about not being home and began to think about the pretty girl sitting next to him. He couldn't help himself and leaned over and kissed Danni. Josh pulled back embarrassed by what he had done and started to apologize. Danni smiled at him and leaned back into him for another kiss. Then she hugged him, jumped up, and went back into the house.

For the first three days of December, Josh worked and stayed at the S Bar S training four horses for Bill Sanders. Between the cold weather and the rain, it didn't make sense for him to ride back to the Maggie M each night. Josh earned $30 for his work with the four animals. When he came back to the Maguires he put $20 in the house hold kitty that was kept in a big mason jar in the cupboard.

First Daniel and then Maggie objected to him giving them the money. "My two partners have been doing most of the work around here and I just wanted to pay my own way. You folks have fed me, given me a place to sleep, and a place to board my horses. I'm lucky to have friends like y'all."

Josh's second morning back at the Maggie M dawned to be a nice day for that time of the year. It was a little cold but not bitterly so and the sun was shining bright. He motioned for Jacob to follow him and went to the corral next to the barn.

"Let's see how the training of Puma is going Jacob. Bring him out and show me what you've been doing."

Jacob was pleased at the attention and ran to get his horse. He led the young buckskin into the corral; it was more like the horse followed Jacob like a big dog. Jacob put a blanket and saddle on the horse talking to Puma in a soft voice just like Josh had instructed him. He dropped the lead rope to the ground and walked away. When he was about twenty feet from the horse he clapped his hands and yelled loudly. Puma turned to face the noise but didn't move from the spot. Jacob had trained his horse to ground tie.

"Where'd you learn that, Jacob? I never showed you how to train him to ground tie," Josh said.

"Red taught me Josh. He said that all your horses were trained to ground tie and that it was a good thing to teach an animal," Jacob replied.

"Well he's right about that. It sure is a blessing not to have to look for a rock or tree to tie your horse to when you're out on the range. Have you put a bridle and bit on him yet?"

"No sir."

"Let's try it now. Here feed him a piece of this apple and then rub another piece on the bit." Josh helped Jacob get the bit into Puma's mouth and finish putting on the bridle. "Let him get use to the feel for a spell and then we'll try some more."

Jacob continued to talk to Puma in a soft voice, stroked his neck, and scratched behind his ears. The boy had to stand on his tiptoes to reach the young horse's head.

"I think you could sit on him here in the corral for a spell. It will teach him how you're weight feels and it won't hurt him. Go on give it a try."

Josh held Puma's head and Jacob climbed up onto the horses back. Puma turned his head to see what was causing the weight on his back. Jacob reached forward and stroked his neck still talking to him. Josh released the horse's head and went back to the corral fence and climbed onto the top rail. He looked back at Jacob.

The boy had an ear to ear grin as he sat on his horse for the first time. Other than shifting his weight a little, Puma just stood quietly. Josh had to smile; it was such a small thing sitting on a horse in a corral but to the boy it was like opening a Christmas present early.

"Okay, now walk him easy around the corral for a bit," he told Jacob. The boy gently nudged the horse with his heels and Puma began to walk. Josh felt someone come up behind him and turned to see Daniel leaning on the corral fence watching his son. I don't know whose smile is bigger Jacob's or Daniel's, he thought. Twenty minutes later Josh said, "That's enough for today Jacob. Take off the saddle and then brush and curry Puma. Make sure and give him a piece of apple after you get him back in his stall."

***************

A bright, sunny, April day greeted Red as he rode over the ranch to check on how the cattle had done through the winter. He was also checking to see how many early spring calves had been dropped. Shortly after the sun came up he had to stop and take off his coat. Guess spring is finally takin hold, Red thought. About damn time, I'm sure tired of snow and cold weather.

He found several calves and marked where their mothers were grazing on the early spring grasses. Daniel, Josh and he would come back to round them up for branding. Red thought of Daniel and the upcoming conversation that they would have.

Sarah and he were in love and wanted to get married, but first Red felt that he had to ask for Daniel and Maggie's blessing. He knew Sarah would marry him anyway, even if her parents didn't agree. Red for all of his free spirited fun loving ways was traditional at heart. It was only right, he thought, that he first talk to Daniel and Maggie.

Of course, Maggie already knew about Sarah and Red. She had started wedding plans on the night Sarah came back from the barn with hay sticking to her clothes and hair. Maggie knew her daughter wouldn't play games in a hay loft with just any young man that came through. Sarah was head strong and independent but she was no man's fool.

Sarah's school was over until after the fall harvest; most of the children were needed at home with the beginning of spring planting and the round up and branding of cattle. She was living at the ranch full time now. Danni's job at the freight office wouldn't start up until May; the roads in the area were mud bogs because of the spring thaw and not many wagons were coming and going. Maggie watched her daughters clean up after breakfast and thought how nice it was to have the family all together.

As Red rode north from the ranch house, Josh rode south. He was also checking on cattle and was hunting at the same time. The family needed fresh meat; they wouldn't starve but their supplies of dried beef and salt pork were running low. There were plans to butcher a steer when the animals had time to fatten up after the winter, but that was still a couple of weeks off. In the mean time Josh would try to find a deer for them. Jacob and Jerry were doing their part by taking shotguns and hunting for rabbits and grouse.

Josh rode Diablo out of a thicket of cottonwoods and willows along Black Squirrel Creek, He was following the tracks of a small herd of deer; Josh had his Henry rifle lying across the saddle in case he needed to make a quick shot. As they cleared the last big cottonwood Josh was surprised to see a lone bull buffalo staring at him; it was one of the few times that Josh had ever been caught unaware of what was going on around him.

The bull was large and relatively young but was injured. In the few seconds that Josh looked at the bull he could see that the animals left rear leg was torn and bleeding; it looked like a mountain lion or wolves had attacked the bull. The injury made an already mean animal ever more bad tempered. The bull looked at Josh and Diablo as they came out of the trees, gave a snort, pawed the ground once, and charged.