The Trap

Story Info
A trap is set to catch a cheating spouse.
8.2k words
3.36
134.8k
23
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

A work of fiction

*

Neil Marsh drove toward the Imperial Hotel. He smiled to himself. In just a few hours he would be rid of his cheating wife. The trap had been set and it would be sprung this afternoon. Yes this day would be a real awakening for an adulterous spouse.

Neil was 44 and a handsome man. He had dark wavy hair that had yet to see any gray. His height of 6' 2" carried his 210 pounds well. He had expressive eyes and a warm smile that he used in business and in social life. He was successful in business, being a partner in a well established distribution company. And even though he was a junior partner George Gregory would retire in the next few years most probably allowing Neil to take the helm. By that time their exporting operation would be in full swing. Yes, things looked good for Neil March.

He thought back over the last six months. He had begun to notice a difference in his wife of 20 years. Vickie was still an attractive woman; maybe even better looking now than when they married. She stood just over 5' 4" tall and had long blond hair. Her blue eyes could sparkle when she was happy and her smile could light a room. She had a nice figure, even before she shed those extra ten pounds. Now at 115 pounds, her 34C breasts looked spectacular. And her hips and firm bottom only added to her beauty and charm.

Was it just familiarity that had caused their sex life to fall away? Vickie had asked if she no longer exited him. That is why she said she stated going to the gym to work and look better for him. Yes that was 6 months ago but thing had gone downhill. It was the little things, the small changes. The way she sat and brushed her hair every night and the new lingerie she purchased. In fact snooping Neil found several thong panties he had never seen Vickie wear. And speaking of panties, the way she hand washed them every night before bed. She had given the excuse the washing machine ruined them too quickly. Vickie had even commented she was going back to basic cotton panties as soon as these were worn out.

Wore out? Neil had to laugh, who was Vickie trying to kid. She wore them out every time she left the house. He wondered how long she wore them. He smiled with the thoughts of catching her at the Imperial this night with her panties off. All was in place and the trap would close.

Neil realized he owned a lot to Wellington Styles and his detective agency. Three months earlier he had been approached by a man as he drove out of the parking garage. The man stopped him in the exit drive as if asking directions. He handed Neil a photo of Vickie at what appeared to be a hotel door. The man told Neil if he wanted to discuss the matter to meet him at the coffee shop on Middleton Blvd and Clark Street. With no further words the man turned and walked away.

Neil was shocked but as he drove to the location he remembered the subtle changes in his wife. Yes the signs were there. He had noticed them but hadn't connected the dots. So what did this man want? Neil was angry but had time to control his temper before he arrived at the meeting.

He found the man sitting in the coffee shop waiting. Neil approached.

"Mr. Marsh, I see you are interested enough to come and meet with me."

"Yes, wouldn't any husband that was handed such a photo want to know what was going on?"

"If you will sit down Mr. Marsh I'll explain. But first do you want anything?"

"No, I just want to know why you handed me a photo of my wife outside a hotel door."

"Let me introduce myself. My name is Wellington Styles."

Neil just looked at the man, for the name meant nothing to him.

"Of the Wellington Styles Detective Agency, we specialize in unfaithful spouses."

"You mean to say my wife is having an affair?" Neil asked to confirm his suspicion.

"We don't have all the evidence yet but we are working on it."

"Why did you come to me?"

"I was hired by the spouse of the other person. They want enough evidence to ensure they get an uncomplicated divorce. You know, no messy trial, no hassle over assets."

Neil smiled. Yes it would be good to be rid of a cheating spouse without having to divide hard earned assets. He nodded his understanding.

"What I am here for is to first enlist your help, and second to extend an offer."

"I'm listening," Neil responded.

"My client will share all evidence with you if you will split the cost."

"How much will that be?"

"Mr. Marsh we are not cheap. And to get what we want will cost several thousand dollars. Right now the bill is just over $5,000.00 and it might more than triple that before we are through."

"What you are saying is it could cost me $7500.00 to get the evidence?"

"I'll say this, if we haven't got it by then, we won't ever get it. I'm not guaranteeing anything, but I'll say we won't go past that amount without your approval. But win lose or draw you pay!"

"I see, then it's a gamble," Neil thought out loud.

"Yes it is, but so is life. But with your cooperation it will be much easier and less expensive. But if the operation is given away the affair will stop before we get all we need. They will just stop this affair. Cheating spouses never really stop. The individual will just hold off for a while and become more cautious."

"I see what you mean. If Vickie gets tired of this man, she might be faithful for a while till she finds a new one. And if she works it right it will take me a while to even suspect."

"Now you understand why I contacted you. I only did it after discussion with my client."

"May I ask your clients name?"

"Sorry I can't do that. I have tired that in the past and the husband got angry drunk and went to the other man's house. That blew the whole thing and caused everyone a world of problems. Us included. So you see why I can't and won't tell you the name of the other man."

"Yes I guess I see that but I assure you I wouldn't get drunk and do anything rash."

"I know, but you might mention his name not meaning to, if you got angry. We tend to not think clearly in the heat of the moment."

"I need to think about this. I hope you understand."

"I do fully. I would be worried if you agreed on the spot. That would make me believe you are impulsive. We don't need that in our operation. Here is my card. Call me in a day or two."

The man left a card for Neil. He put money on the table, pushed his chair back and left.

Neil looked at the card. It was simple, W. Styles with procurement under his name. The card had two numbers; one listed as office, the other as mobile. Neil fingered the card and thought of what he had just teen told.

That evening Neil was just a little distracted but Vickie didn't seem to notice. She chatted about her day at the gym and window shopping. As she rambled Neil had a wicked thought. What would Vickie do for money when he dumped her? She had always been a stay at home wife. True she had a college degree in Liberal Arts but had never used it. She had no work experience. Vickie hadn't even written a check in the last five years. She left all the financial obligations to him. She asked for cash when she needed it, or just used plastic. Yes Vickie would be in for a rude shock.

Neil laughed. Vickie stopped her story and asked what was so funny.

"Oh I'm sorry honey. I was just thinking of a funny thing at work today."

"So you weren't paying any attention to me! Well I'll have you know some people like to talk with me!" She got up and left in a huff. That only made Neil smile all the more. How was she going to feel when he was not there to talk to any more? Not there to pay the credit card bills, or dish out spending cash! Yes Vickie Marsh would be truly up shit creek with no paddle.

The next day Neil used his computer to check on this Wellington Styles and company. They had quite a web site but none of the numbers matched what was on the card. What was going on Neil wondered. On a hunch he checked the numbers on the card through a reverse director. He found no listing for either number. The only other thing to do was call.

"W. Styles office," came a female voice.

"Is Mr. Styles in?" Neil asked.

"May I ask who is calling and the nature of the call?" she asked professionally.

"Neil Marsh, and it's about our meeting yesterday."

"Thank you Mr. Marsh I will check to see if Mr. Styles is available."

A few seconds later the woman was back. "Mr. Marsh I am sorry to say Mr. Styles is busy. But he says there must be some mistake, for he didn't meet with you yesterday."

"Oh I see. Then it was just my mistake. Sorry of the call." Neil hung up. What was really going on he wondered.

He couldn't get it out of his mind, the photo and the suspicion. He called his home to talk with Vickie but got no answer. That was not totally unusual so Neil tried her cell phone. There he got her voice mail before the first ring. Her phone was off.

Neil tried to work but that proved impossible. He was sitting at his desk debating what to do when a package arrived. His secretary Florence Grant brought it in. "Mr. Marsh, I brought this in because it was marked personal and urgent."

That brought Neil back from his thought. He was not expecting anything, but he took the parcel. When he was alone he looked at it. He didn't recognize the return address. He put it aside. Where could Vickie be at this hour of the morning? Finally to get his mind off his wife, Neil opened the envelope. It contained but a single sheet of paper. He read it. "Don't call from your office phone. Find a pay phone and reverse the last two numbers on the card."

Neil read it again. That sounded too much like cloak and dagger to him but he wanted to know just what his wife was up to. He left for an early lunch. Finding a pay phone was not easy. He called the proper number. It sounded like the same female voice. The woman didn't ask his name she just put him through to Wellington Styles.

"Sorry about the run around but I didn't think to tell you not to call from your office. Too many chances of you being over heard and gossip travels fast in that environment."

"I see, so what should I do?"

"Go and purchase a pre paid phone. Keep it handy but out of sight. When you call in we'll have your new number. That way I can leave a voice mail without fear of anyone else getting it first."

"Good idea and what else?"

"First, I must know if you're willing to pay your half."

"Yes I have thought about it and feel it's the best thing to do. Who knows if I would have ever caught her otherwise?"

"You would be surprised at how easy it is to spot a cheating spouse. They always give themselves away. But then you have to catch them. I'll make this brief. I'll meet you at the same place today for you to sign the agreement and to get a deposit."

"Deposit?"

"Yes we'd like 1/3 down. That will be $2500.00. How will you pay?"

"I don't know? How should I pay?"

"We don't need cash if that is what you're thinking. We can take a credit card or a check. We have several nondescript names we use."

"I'll be there with my check book. What time?"

"Say about your normal quitting time. Don't want to arouse suspicion."

Neil went there at 4:40 and found Wellington waiting. He had two copies of the agreement which he had already signed. Neil was impressed. Why would any wife think she could get away with adultery over a long period of time? How foolish can some people be?

"Mr. Marsh you make sure you put that paperwork in a place it can't be found. We have put a lot of work into this and you have an investment too. I know you will be cautious but still a word to the wise."

Neil thought about the words of Wellington Styles. Yes he would be cautious. Too much was riding on this. He placed the papers under the spare tire in the trunk of his car. Vickie never drove his Mercedes, she didn't even have a key to it. No for some reason Vickie loved her Toyota. She had elected to keep it when Neil offered to purchase her another. What a fool she would turn out to be!

Neil went home with a smile. Vickie noted his good mood and commented. "Oh just a big deal coming my way. I don't know when I'll close it but it will be a real winner for me."

"For you? Don't you mean us? Don't I rate anymore?" Vickie said with a pout.

"I'm sorry honey. What I meant was it will really put me in a good spot with the company."

Vickie smiled, "Ok, if that's how you meant it. I'm too old to look for another husband."

"Don't even joke about that Vickie! Nothing will ever come between us." Neil said firmly.

On Wednesday Neil was home early. Vickie was not there. He tried her cell phone and she answered. "Where you at Vickie? I got off a little early and thought we would go out to dinner."

"Great Neil, I'm...not far from the house. I wish you had called earlier. I would have been ready. I've been at the gym and need a shower. I'll be there in a minute."

At the gym? It dawned on Neil he knew nothing of his wife's daily schedule. How often did she go to the gym? He would have to ask.

Vickie came running in and kissed Neil on the cheek. She then dashed to their bathroom to shower. Neil made a drink while he was waiting. When he went into the bathroom Vickie was out of the shower and washing her panties.

"Why you washing those now?" he asked.

Vickie blushed and stammered a little, "Guess its just habit. I'll just throw them in the tub and finish them when I get back."

Neil watched his wife. She seemed nervous. And she was, she was so afraid she would be found out.

That evening over dinner Neil quizzed his wife about how she spent her day.

"Why the sudden interest after all these years?" Vickie asked over coffee.

"Well when I got home and you weren't there I found that I had no idea where you were. I guess I'm just feeling guilty for not being more attentive."

"Neil don't be silly. You have so many more important things on our mind. I just have learned to fill my days so that I don't spend the time watching TV and getting fat."

That night in bed Neil wanted to make love to his wife but she begged off saying she was just too tired. "Next time give me a warning and I'll be ready for you," she contended.

Neil thought to himself, 'yes I'll bet you want some warning'. He wondered if there was remnants of another man inside his wife. Was she worried that she had not cleaned well enough? It would be a pleasure to expose her cheating ways.

Neil stayed in close contact with Wellington Styles. There were things he could do to help the investigation. For one thing Neil began to watch Vickie's mobile phone bill. All checked out with the exception of several unknown incoming calls. There had to be a way for him to find what that number or those numbers were.

He talked to Wellington. For a little more money that would not be a problem. All Wellington needed was the brand and model of Vickie's cell phone. Wellington promised in a week to have a device to place in the phone that would help trace the unknown calls.

Neil was showing his excitement at the office. He put more energy into his job and was doing all he could to inspire others. His boss and majority stock holder noticed. "Neil you have really been on the ball lately. I like the way you are handling the office."

Neil couldn't believe his luck. Not only was he going to get rid of his cheating wife, he was scoring points with his boss. George Gregory had seemed distant over the last year but now that was changing. He continued, "Neil, you know some day I will need to retire. I want a good dedicated man to take over the operation when I leave. I been watching you and think there will be a new position in store for you my boy."

A few days later Neil learned that George's physical had indicated the need for more tests. That information came from Phyllis Gregory when she called to express concern over her husband's condition. "Now Neil you don't say a word. I'm not suppose to know. I just snooped in his briefcase the other night. The report said he needed to go to Chicago for more specific testing. I think he wanted it done in Chicago so no one here in town will have any idea."

"You know Phyllis I think I understand what George was saying the other day about a new position for me. I wonder if he will make me CEO when he can no longer work?"

"Neil that would be wonderful! I know you could do it. If I get the chance I'll put in a good word."

"Wonder how serious George's condition is? I mean he might have to make that decision before he wants to."

"Oh I hadn't thought about that! Now I will have to find out! Now not a word to George."

True to his word Wellington had a small wafer thin sheet to put into Vickie's phone. Wellington wanted Neil to wait a week before he removed it. He wanted to make sure they didn't rush things. After all Vickie might just have a man on the side for a meeting every month or two. If that was the case, Vickie wasn't his only extramarital affair.

Neil hoped that Vickie would find she was just one of many women he bedded. It would serve her right!

Vickie acted just a little more distant. Not wanting to come to bed with Neil. She would find an excuse and wait till he was sleeping before she slipped into bed. One night he faked sleep and when she came to bed he almost attacked her. She was not happy but did submit. It would have bothered Neil more but he knew it was just a matter of time before the charade was over.

When Neil met Wellington and gave him the wafer, he had to pay another $2500.00. But even $10,000 wouldn't be too high a cost to pay if he could catch Vickie in bed with another man. So he paid and listened to his next instructions.

"You say your wife always washes her panties by hand. And she does it every night?"

"Yes and I asked her about that. Vickie just says it's a habit."

"It might be a habit used to remove evidence?"

"What do you mean?" But Neil didn't need to be told.

"She might want to make sure that she leaves no mans DNA in her panty crotch! She can't wash it all away but it would be more difficult to get a good sample. A good defense attorney would get that thrown out. You need to get a pair before she washes them. But only if there seems to be traces of sex in them. If you collect too many of her panties she will be alerted. Unless she hangs her panties on the clothes line, no one but you or her would have access to them."

Neil began to put two and two together. It was on Wednesday Vickie want to the gym. That was the day she was late and was desperate to shower and wash her panties. He would watch her actions more closely. Might check the gym on Wednesday and see what time she leaves. It was exciting to be in the investigation. He called Wellington and cleared his plan. Wellington reluctantly agreed and told him to park out of sight and watch from cover. He was not under any circumstances to try and follow her, even if she left with a man in the car!"

The next Wednesday a well hidden Neil Marsh watched his wife leave the gym at 2:15. He smiled and waited 15 minutes before he headed home. He would surprise his wife! When Neil got home Vickie was not there. He waited till 4:00 and called. "Hi Sweetie, I'm almost home. What you want to do tonight?"

"Well I don't know Neil. I'm just on my way home from the gym. Why do you seem to do this to me on Wednesday? Do I need to go to the gym on Tuesdays and Thursday?"

"I'm sorry honey. I just get off when I can. I'll see you at the house. I'm about there now."

"Oh ok, I be there in just a short while. I'm still in the parking lot of the gym."

Neil laughed to himself. Vickie should practice her stories. First she was on her way home then she was still in the parking lot. For the fun of it Neil left his house and parked on a side street. He had just got into place when he saw Vickie's car race past on her way home. He pulled out and followed at a slower pace. Vickie was inside when he arrived. She had run in throwing thing to the side as she did. Her shoes were in the hall and her bag was on the floor as if she had missed the hall table with it.