The Tribute

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"There you go. Now we are ready to go and proclaim your new office." He buckled his belt around his waist and opened the door, stepping out into the hall, followed by Brida. The two of them made their way back down the stairs into what was now his main hall. Hjartan moved over to his chair and gestured Brida to his side as he looked around the hall, spotting a very uncomfortable Osbert involved in a game of dice with a few of his men. He spotted the guards from Bebbanburg standing nearby and waved them forward with a cheery smile. Reluctantly the two men approached the dais and stopped. He gestured for the two of them to stand near Brida. "Wait there and you will see what youre duty to Bebbanburg is."

Osbert saw the two guards move to stand beside Brida and rose, walking towards the dais, a smile on his face. "Am I to assume from this that Bebbanburg's tribute to Eoferwic is acceptable?"

Hjartan frowned at Osbert and gestured the man forward. "Yes, Bebbanburg's tribute to Eoferwic is acceptable." He paused as Osbert stepped close, one large sword-calloused hand flashing out and wrapping around the medallion with Bebbanburg's wolf's head seal, to show their descent from the god Woden, on it. With one swift jerk he pulled it from around Osbert's neck and looked at it. He then stood up and turned to Brida, taking the medallion and hanging it around her neck. He looked at her and nodded. "Bebbanburg's tribute is satisfactory and since the Ealdorman of Bebbanburg has been found unfit to hold his position, I now declare Brida, his niece, Ealdorwoman of Bebbanburg under the ward and protection of Eoferwic until a man comes to marry her."

"But my lord Hjartan, you cannot just remove me as Ealdorman of Bebbanburg!" Osbert protested, taking a step forward. He looked at the guards standing beside Brida. "One of you bring me my medallion of office."

Hjartan looked at the two guards as well. "I saw that you did not care for the bowing and scraping that this snake was doing. Your new Ealdorwoman has acted with dignity and strength, as a leader should. Make your choice; do you support Brida, or Osbert as leader of Bebbanburg?" Osbert began to look smug as his two hand picked guards were asked who they would support.

His look turned to one of shocked outrage as both guards turned to Brida and bowed, speaking simultaneously, "Ealdorwoman, you have our full support." He began to sputter impotently as Brida reached out and touched the bowed heads of her first guards. As she did, they straightened up and moved to stand one on each side of her. Brida smiled a malicious smile as she turned her gaze to her uncle.

Osbert turned a frantic look to Hjartan. "Lord Hjartan, I request your sanctuary here in Eoferwic. Please, my Lord!"

Hjartan looked from Brida to her uncle. "As Lord of Eoferwic, I have refused your tricky tribute as an insult to me. As such, I am turning you over to the Ealdorwoman of Bebbanburg for justice." He nodded to Brida.

"Guards, take him." Brida said. The two guards stepped forward and none too gently grabbed his arms and forced them behind him. One of Hjartan's crew provided some shackles and in no time at all, Osbert was shackled hand and foot. Brida turned to Hjartan and bowed deeply. "Thank you, my Lord Hjartan. Bebbanburg thanks you for the service you've done this day and pledges to return the favor if Eoferwic should ever need it."

Hjartan nodded and smiled. "Thank you Lady Brida." He rose and walked over to where her dress still lay, picking it up and handing it to her. She took it but made no move to put it back on. He looked at two of his men. "Sven, Tyr, you two go with the Ealdorwoman and escort her and her prisoner back to Bebbanburg." The two men nodded and rose to go and prepare their travel packs and horses.

"Thank you again, my Lord. I must be returning to Bebbanburg to put this scoundrel on trial." She walked forward and kissed Hjartan's cheek softly, whispering softly so only he could hear, "I will always be your tribute for the taking my Lord, my Love," She stepped back and, as she walked past the chained Osbert, delivered an open handed slap that almost jerked him from the guards hands. She continued towards the door, the two guards half dragging Osbert between them.

Hjartan sat back down in his chair, smiling as the doors closed behind the Northumbrians. Around him in the hall, the sounds of the celebration resumed.

12