The Twelve Lays of Christmas Ch. 07

Story Info
The Final Fates of Thomas, Cherie and others.
5.5k words
4.68
17k
4

Part 7 of the 7 part series

Updated 10/29/2022
Created 12/20/2005
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
BrettJ
BrettJ
4,743 Followers

Conclusion

by BrettJ © 2008

Day Eight

Thomas entered the Pear Tree and waved at Mike, looking for Cherie as he filled his basket. The Turtledoves wanted some of his signature Quiches for their upcoming party and it required special cheeses. He'd already visited the LeClaire sisters to secure more wine; they quizzed him again about his new lady-friend. "You need amour in your life" they all told him. "Life is nothing without it." He gave them all a hug and called Brandi, who told him his family had called again. He'd forgotten to call them back the previous day, so all four of them read him the riot act, but with love and laughter still a part of it all. Brandi called him again and told him they'd sold the last of the Pineapple Upside down cake and were running low on the Goose Pate, so he assumed he'd have a full afternoon of work, but she was already on top of it. He promised to give her a raise in the New Year, Brandi was a gem. He still didn't see Cherie as he looked around the store.

In back, Cherie stared at the photo the Swans had given her to remember them by – if she could ever forget. She heard Thomas' voice, dried her tears and went out to the front.

"There's my girl" He said, kissing her on the cheek. Cherie needed more affection from him than that, so she kissed him back on the lips, in full view of the customers and a smiling Mike. She also gave him a big hug.

Thomas could see that she'd obviously been crying, but decided not to push it. He asked her "Cherie, have you got any of the Eight Maids Cheeses in stock? I need them for my Holiday Quiches."

Mike interjected "Shipment just came in, Thomas. Grab what you need. Hey Cherie, when he's done, it's quiet. Make it an early day, with pay, have fun."

"Want to have dinner?" Thomas asked her. Cherie wanted to yell "No, I want to spend the night making love to you and the morning and the rest of our lives!" but she swallowed and nodded yes.

Thomas got his supplies, made his way back to Le Petite Chou and found Brandi had everything under control. He found her having a meal with Cherie's roommate, Irina. It was obvious the two women were more than friends as they were holding hands.

"When did those two ...?" He asked Cherie.

"Long story" Cherie replied, her spirits lifting a bit. Seeing her two friends happy made it seem possible to her that that kind of happiness might be within her grasp. She allowed Thomas to take her to a local pub and found she quite enjoyed herself. They weren't able to go back to her place, as Brandi and Irina had a night planned, but Thomas brought her to his place. They made love sweetly and tenderly, but Thomas could tell there was something on her mind. Wisely, he decided not to press matters and let her fall asleep in his arms. He didn't feel her wake up and kiss his cheek, nor did he hear her whisper "I love you" before she fell back asleep.

Day Nine

Cherie woke to the sound of bagpipes on his alarm. "Sorry hun, my Mum's idea when I was a kid. I always grumbled when I got up so she had some piper friends record that for me. She figured no one could sleep through that racket."

"She was right" Cherie grumbled, reaching for a robe. Already, the aroma of waffles and fresh bacon and hot coffee reached her nostrils.

"Morning luv!" He said, kissing her lips as the pipers droned on.

"Oh please lord, let it end!" Cherie moaned just before the music stopped. She sighed in relief and sat down to breakfast. "I don't have to work today Thomas, do you have anything major on the horizon?"

Thomas smiled and said "Well, I promised Brandi I'd open up – something about being in no shape to face the morning ... " Cherie giggled, knowing full well what Irina was capable of " ... but the afternoon and evening are free. Oh wait, not quite – I have theatre tickets given to me by the Turtledoves, seems Mr. T is one of the producers of a revival of Seven Brides for Seven Brothers. Would you like to go and have dinner after? Not only that, he says we can meet the director and the cast." Thomas had always enjoyed theatre, he knew at least 9 of the female dancers, they were regulars in the restaurant.

"That's one of my favorite shows, absolutely!" Cherie thrilled. "Drop me off at the Pear Tree, I have to pick up my paycheck. Oh, do you think the LeClaire sisters would sell me a few bottles of wine, I want to congratulate Brandi."

"I know they would, I'll call them myself." Thomas smiled.

"Good. Did you call your Mum back yesterday, by the way?"

"Yes. She and my Auntie and sisters say I'm an idiot for not whisking you away to some Tropical Paradise and having my way with you."

Cherie managed a smile, that sounded heavenly. "Well, at least the Pineapple for your cake would be fresh" She chuckled.

"Yes, but you'd miss my pate" He countered back. "Incidentally, what in heck were you mumbling about in your sleep last night? Something about swans?"

She covered. "Oh – I love swans, I was likely thinking of a visit to the park when I was a child."

"Oh, I see. Okay, let's get dressed, I'll grab a quick shower and then it's all yours and off we'll go."

Cherie sat there, sipping her coffee. She determined that if Thomas only saw her as a friend and lover, then she could live with that. At least he wasn't going anywhere. At least he was still in her life. At least ... at least ...

Day Ten

Cherie was circling around her apartment, Irina and Brandi watching her fret and fuss. She was beside herself, her mind going a million miles a minute. Last night had been a life-changing moment and whichever choice she made, there would be consequences and heartbreak. What to do, what to do?

"You have to be at the Pear Tree in 90 minutes Cherie" Irina reminded her.

"I know, I know, but ... "

"Let the poor girl think, baby" Brandi said, snuggling close to Irina and kissing her.

"It's so nice to see people in love" Cherie sighed. "If only ... "

"If only my dummy boss would get his head out of the sand and realize you're perfect for him, you mean?" Brandi scowled. "He's been confused Cherie, but I think he'll come around, give him time. I know this function he's catering for the Turtledoves, as he calls them, is driving him nuts and ... "

Cherie countered. "I don't have time. If I do this, I have to make a decision. It's the opportunity of a lifetime, I'm a fool if I pass it up!"

"It" had happened last night. After seeing the show, Thomas and Cherie had gone backstage to meet the cast and director and compliment them on a magnificent show, which it had been. The director and Cherie spoke quite a bit about technical matters and acting and Cherie noted that Thomas seemed to be jealous until Cherie calmed him down a bit and explained they had been talking about her acting career. Cherie was secretly thrilled that he was showing a bit of the green-eyed monster. Then Miles, the director, made her the offer of a lifetime.

"The actress playing Milly just announced she's pregnant and will have to leave the show in 4 months. You seem perfect for the part, if you can sing and dance, you'd be perfect. How would you like to understudy the role and go on tour with us in 3 months?"

Cherie couldn't speak, she was simply agog. Thomas was – he didn't have any way to describe his feelings, he didn't understand them himself, but he knew he had to be supportive. Over dinner, they talked about her future.

"It's a wonderful opportunity and I know Mike would let me take a leave of absence. I'd miss you, of course, but I ... "

"Cherie, certainly you should take it. I wouldn't dream of holding you back, you're my dear friend and I want only the best for you."

Thomas took her home and she kissed him goodnight. By the time she got inside, she was practically sobbing.

His friend. That was all she was to him. She knew he cared, but perhaps it was all in her head that they had a future together? She wanted this opportunity, she wanted to act, to give it a shot. She gave the other girls a kiss and headed off to the Pear Tree and work her shift, promising to speak with Mike a bit later on.

Thomas had stopped by and dropped off the wine from the LeClaire sisters, then he had rushed off to call his family in England. Mike was munching on a piece of cake, his waistline beginning to show his love for sweets. Cherie kissed him on the cheek and sat down and explained the job opportunity that had presented itself.

"Of course you have to take it, you can work here whenever you want – you're family! Can I give you a congratulatory hug?" Mike nearly knocked the wind out of her. She finished up her day, having a bit of pate on some Ritz Crackers on her break and then heading home. She knew she should feel happy, but she felt alone and miserable. Cherie knew what she had to do. She had to be home with her family for the holidays, to be surrounded by love and warmth. She missed having love, she remembered how much love the Swans had at the holidays and hoped one day to know that kind of joy for herself.

Cherie almost began crying again as she dialed her mother and invited herself home for the holidays. She covered it up by telling her parents how happy she would be to see them, she said she'd be on the train and arrive around midnight. She wasn't going to say goodbye to Thomas, she needed some time to think.

****

Thomas was on the phone with his mother, Aunt, cousin and sister. All of them were mad as hell at him.

"Mum, quit yelling. I had to let her accept the job, it's a chance of a lifetime."

"Tommy, as your sister says, you're a git. You love this girl, don't you?"

"I think so Mum, but it's only been 10 days and ..."

His sister interjected. "And every time you call us, it's Cherie this and Cherie that and you sound batty about her. Time isn't a factor Tommy and I bet she loves you too, if you would open your eyes enough to see it."

His cousin piped up. "You're very lovable, when you're not being a total ponce. Don't be daft, GO for it!"

He sighed. "You're right."

His Mum came back on the line. "You're going to ask her?"

"Yes."

"To marry you?"

Thomas felt his entire body and soul come alive when he answered again "Yes."

He hung up the phone and dialed Cherie's home. No answer. She wasn't answering her Cell. He went to her apartment, no one there. Panicked, not knowing where she could be, he went to the Pear Tree and got the news from Mike she had begun a leave of absence. His stomach churning, he went to the Pear Tree and found Irina there again, having a cozy lunch with Brandi.

"Irina, do you know where Cherie is? I've been trying to find her all day?"

"Yes Thomas, she's going home for the holidays, to spend time with her family. She said she had some thinking to do ... about you, I think" Irina said, not too happy with her girlfriend's employer.

"Thomas, if you don't do something, you're going to lose the best thing that's ever happened to you and ... "

"I know" Thomas stated plainly.

"Hallelujah, he's seen the light!" Brandi said, almost in shock. "Now what do you intend to do about it?"

"First I have to find her, don't I?" He said, exasperated.

Irina was seeing him in a new light. "She's taking the train Thomas – she leaves in about 35 minutes, you'd better move if you want to catch her."

Thomas ran out of the restaurant and tried to hail a cab, but had to run blocks to find one, as it had begun to snow. He finally flagged one down and made it to the Train Station with about 10 minutes to spare. He ran around like a maniac until he spotted her. "CHERIE!" He screamed at the top of his lungs. She turned around, startled to see him. He looked awful, upset and out of breath.

"Thomas – what are you doing here? I didn't tell you I was leaving, I ... " Cherie began weeping a bit.

"Don't go!" He panted.

"What?"

"Don't-fucking-GO!" He gasped out. "Don't go to your parents for Christmas, don't go on tour, don't take the job – not if it means you'll leave me. Don't go, please Cherie."

"Thomas, I ..."

"Don't go. Marry me."

Cherie practically fainted. They announced her train, but she didn't hear it. The blood was rushing to her ears, she was on a bench and Thomas was sitting beside her, holding her hand.

"Cherie? I can't lose you, I can't. I love you. I'm totally, mad, bonkers, head-over-heels in love with you and I know it's insane because we've only just met, but I love you and I want to marry you and be with you and have babies with you and ... " he babbled.

"Yes!"

"Yes?"

"Yes, Yes, YES!" She screamed, kissing him with such passion Thomas could barely breathe. He didn't care – he was happy again, she had brought him back to life, rejuvenated his soul, she was his Cherie, and he was going to be her husband.

"You're crying, Thomas."

"So I am. Don't care. You're crying, too."

"Yes, I am. Oh, I'll have to call my mother. She'll die of shock" Cherie laughed. "What about your family?"

"Mum told me if I didn't realize what a good thing I had, I was a git." He laughed. "Mum's going to have to visit for a Wedding."

She hugged her – fiancé – close and asked "When?"

"What are you doing tomorrow night?"

"What? Thomas, that's insane, we can't ... "

He looked at her with a warm, yet serious, expression. "I don't want to go another week without you as my wife. I want to start the New Year with you by my side. I can call England and have all 4 of them on a flight at midnight. Your family can be here by morning. The LeClaires and Mike and Brandi and Irina are here and if there's anyone else you want to invite ... "

She started weeping again. "The only person I want there is the person I'm kissing right now" She said as she embraced him passionately. They were making a scene in the Station, but neither gave a damn.

"Umm – Thomas – I think we're making a bit of a scene" Cherie giggled as they continued kissing and hugging.

"Bloody hell, let them look" Thomas said, acting totally out of character. "Oh, and I think you get to call me Tommy now."

She looked at him with a weird expression and he laughed. "Long story. I'd better call Mum and tell her to get moving if she wants to be here tomorrow afternoon. You'd better call your folks too." Cherie nodded as Thomas went to find a Pay Phone. Just where were they going to have the reception – hold it, he remembered – didn't the "Turtledoves" say something about owning an Inn? Dammit, why couldn't he ever remember their real last names, he'd have to call Brandi and have her check receipts, stay calm Thomas, stay calm ....

Cherie opened her purse and got out her Cell and dialed a number she'd had for a long time, but never used. Clutching her hands to her chest, she heard the phone ring and someone picked up.

"Hello. Yes, it's me. I wanted to call and ... well, I'm getting married. Thank You. Tomorrow. Can you be there, it would mean a lot to me. Yes, very much. You can make it? That's wonderful, I love you."

She hung up the phone just as Thomas came rushing back, face aglow with happiness. As he told her of his family's reaction, Cherie knew she'd never been happier in her entire life.

Day Eleven

Snuggling in her husband's arms, Cherie was overwhelmed with happiness. It had been a magical day, a special day, special and perfect. She was also happy she didn't have to wake up to Bagpipes again, she giggled. Eleven pipers on that darned thing, that alarm clock was going out the window.

"So, you're really my wife then?" Thomas said as he hugged her close.

"Yes, you're stuck with me." She sighed. "You're really my husband? This isn't some dream?"

"If it is, let's not wake up" Thomas said as she rolled on top of him and began kissing him all over.

Thomas knew that despite all the odds, he had found someone with whom he could share his life again, that he had a life-partner again. He was twice-blessed and as he looked back on the day, he knew neither would ever forget it.

Their first stop was the Pear Tree, where Cherie broke the news to Mike, who hugged them both and insisted on supplying all the food for their meals tomorrow. Oddly, the "Turtledoves" were both there, the newlyweds adding their own congratulations and offering them a venue in which to hold the small reception. It turned out the family owned a small Inn nearby and were more than happy to accommodate, refusing any financial recompense Thomas offered, merely expenses. Cherie insisted the visit the LeClaire sisters, who made such a fuss over her and Thomas, she knew they were going to be a part of her extended family as well. While sharing a drink with the three Frenchwomen, Thomas' phone rang and it was his family, who insisted on speaking with her. His four "Birds" all had a lot to say to Cherie, especially "Mum" [she insisted Cherie start calling her that and get used to it, she teased] who told her "You keep Tommy in line; he can be a bit too stuffy for his own good." Cherie laughed and said "I'm working on that" and said goodbye, as the Taxi was arriving to take the women to Heathrow for their flight.

Once they got to Le Petite Chou, all the fussing started all over again. Irina cried, Brandi cried, there was lots of hugging and food - in all the chaos, neither Brandi or Thomas had eaten in hours, so Pineapple Cake and Goose Pate were retrieved from the Pantry, with some more wine and croissants and by the end of it, Thomas and Cherie were happily buzzed. They were going to go back to Thomas' home and rest, but Brandi and Irina said "Uh-Uh – you don't see her before the wedding and that's tomorrow. We're giving her a Bachelorette Party."

Thomas looked at his bride as she was kissing his neck and said "You never did tell me what happened at the Bachelorette Party." She purred in his ear "Maybe for our 25th Anniversary" and resumed kissing him again.

The night seemed endless, Thomas wanted to see her, but the morning of, he went to the Pear Tree, was met by Mike and his family, who calmed him down with a few cups of strong coffee. He told Thomas all was set for the reception, everyone was waiting to see them, the LeClaires and others, his family had arrived and he'd seen to arranging for their transportation [Thomas had been a nervous wreck], the Cakes and Pate and wine had all made it safely, now get your butt in gear before she smartens up and runs out on you, Mike had laughed.

Thomas knew there was no chance of that – it was destiny or fate or whatever you wanted to call it, but he and Cherie were meant to be together. As he walked down the small aisle to meet her, he saw her there in the pretty cream dress, hair falling loosely, eyes sparkling and that face – that face – he knew he was crying, but he knew she wouldn't mind and he barely remembered saying his vows or the people she introduced him to – the Swans? – and he ate the Quiche he'd made only days before with the Milk Maids Cheese, he heard his wife – his wife! – telling the story about his Piper Alarm and charming his Mum, sister, Auntie and cousin. Thomas knew the specter of her acting career was still there, but they'd work that out. He wanted her to have everything she dreamed of and as she sidled up beside him and took his arm, she looked in his face and asked what he was thinking about.

"You. Me. Us. Your acting career and how I want you to have everything you want in life and ... "

"I just married everything I want in life." Cherie beamed.

"You know what I mean."

Cherie smiled again. "Yes, and I want a career too, but we come first. I spoke with Miles a little while ago and explained how I felt. He told me they'd wait two weeks and hold the job for me. I can start rehearsals then and go on tour a bit later. I can work at the Pear Tree a few days a week, which will give me lots of time with my handsome new husband. Plenty of time to start un-stuffying you."

BrettJ
BrettJ
4,743 Followers
12