The Twelve Tables Ch. 10

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
xelliebabex
xelliebabex
5,506 Followers

The lingering burn was more than she had experienced in the past as she struggled for two strokes before crying out into clearing startling some of the birdlife into flight. Josh though took his time creating a pattern of perfect symmetry upon the soft swaying globes of flesh. Moving to her he pulled her up into his arms kissing her deeply and laying her back on the log. He kissed over the angry red welts that lined her breasts before continuing down her body. He kissed down her body placing his hands on her thighs widening them even more to his view as his head dipped down to run his tongue over her glistening lips.

Parting her lips further with his thumbs he teased his tongue over her clit enjoying the sounds of her soft gasps and whimpers. He took his time letting her enjoy the sensations that assailed her before dipping his finger into her and curling it forward to run along the ridges of the surface there making her sounds of pleasure louder in the quiet clearing. He felt the telltale quivering of her thigh under his hand and reached up with it to grab a red lined breast roughly. His fingers and mouth worked in tempo, and he felt rather than saw the tensing of her muscles and her back arch as she came crying out into the trees.

Lifting his head he wiped his face across her belly and smiled seeing her loose-limbed and relaxed her eyes still closed. He stood and removed his pants settling himself back on top of her; the position was awkward and rather than the hard thrust he had intended, he slipped into her gently filling her and hearing her sigh with pleasure.

He loved everything about her at that moment, and the flicker of worry that she would return to him changed forever made him doubt the decisions he had made this morning. He could not bear to think of a life without her but to know that the very thing that could ensure their future happiness may be what breaks them apart threatened to engulf him. Propping himself up on an arm he gazed down at her, his fingers running down the side of her face and neck to her breast.

"I love you," he murmured, "Never forget that." Her eyes flickered open, and she looked back at him sensing his anxiety about their separation. She felt it too and as they moved together slowly and gently she had no words to express how she felt except to echo his thoughts.

"I love you too, forever," she whispered and put her hand over the one that lay on her chest. "My heart will always belong to you, and only you," she said breathlessly and melted into his deep kisses. He began to thrust into her harder, and she pulled her legs up rocking her hips to meet his as they sought out the pleasurable highs they had always enjoyed together.

They spent the hottest part of the day in the clearing, paddling and sitting in the shallow creek and making love again. Banishing thoughts of her impending departure from his mind Josh allowed time to stand still for them.

"It's so beautiful here, like a magical forest that can keep the world at bay," Peri said coming to sit beside him on the water's edge.

"Zio would like us to make our family home here when we are married, it would be a long commute to work for me, but you could work from home if you wanted, if you still want to work, you won't have to you know," he grinned. "I like the idea of starting a family pretty soon."

"Oh? I would never have guessed that," she laughed and thought about Joshua's huge family. "I guess we've had all this practise at making babies, we should see if we have the technique right."

"Are you questioning my technique?" he chuckled. "Practise makes perfect, so perhaps we should try it again."

"Shouldn't we be thinking about going back?" She splashed cold water on him. "We've been here for hours, and they are expecting us this afternoon."

"I brought you here so we would have time alone, before..." he couldn't say the words and looked up as a small plane flew overhead at a low altitude. Glad for the interruption, they got dressed quietly and began the walk back to the chalet to shower and change for dinner.

"Would we live in the chalet if we made this our home? I mean it's wonderful but not particularly family friendly.

"If we agree he will give us part of the property as a wedding gift so we could build a family home," he chuckled, "Then he and Marisol would be close enough to spoil our children rotten. I think not having grandchildren is as hard as it was to know that they couldn't have children of their own. They are both from such big families. I think sometimes they feel isolated out here.

"Then we should," she agreed. "I love it here, and it will be nice to have them close by when you are at work. It will give me another lovely thing to think about while I am away from you. Building a home just the way we want it, with wide veranda's and cosy, shady nooks here and there like in the rainforest itself."

"Sounds like you have already thought about it," he looked at her.

"Of course, I have thought about our future, where we will live, having children, everything," she stopped and looked at him seriously. "Isn't that why we are doing this? Why I am doing this?"

"Yes," truthfully he hadn't let himself think past the fact that he wanted a future with her to the details of it, but he could see in her face this was not what she needed to hear. "I'm just still celebrating that you said yes and thinking about our honeymoon. You know we men can't multitask," he chuckled making light of the situation.

"Maybe I did get a little far ahead of myself, but you are asking me to give up my freedom to make that honeymoon happen so I need to be thinking of all the wonderful things that will come at the end of it," she said thoughtfully.

"I'm not enough of a prize?" he teased.

"You first and foremost, but the wedding, the home, the children all the things that can build on the love we have and create a full picture of our future. If I didn't love you enough to picture that future, I have run away, just like the other girl." She tried again to explain. "I need that picture in my head right now. Otherwise, I may lose my nerve." Josh gathered her into his arms and held her tightly saying nothing for a long moment.

"I want you to know that whatever happens I will always love you, you are the one I have waited for, and I know how lucky I am that you are willing to go through all my family traditions and rituals for me," he said in a low voice choked with feeling. "You are the love of my life, and I can't imagine a future without you in it."

They walked back up to the chalet and showered getting dressed the weight of what was happening bearing down on them both in different ways. There was a knock on the door and shrugging at Peri Josh went to answer it.

"Wah-Wah! Congratulations!" Maryanne burst through the door and began talking rapidly. "I always miss all the good family stuff, but I don't mind missing what happened with Nik. Are you okay? Man that must have been a bad scene," she paused for breath spotting, Peri. "My new sister! Oh, my god! Show me the ring," she grabbed Peri's hand and inspected the ring. "Josh always did have good taste. You did well Wah-Wah," she said over her shoulder not letting go of Peri's hand.

"Congratulations," Lucia said as she followed Maryanne in a moment later. She kissed Josh on both cheeks and smiled. "I am so happy for you both."

"Lucy, I am so glad to see you," Josh picked her up in a bear hug. "Are you staying long, can we find a moment to talk later?"

"You're as bad as Maryanne," she laughed lightly and moved to hug Peri. "Congratulations and commiserations to you," she smiled sadly as she released the woman. "The trial isn't pleasant, and I won't sugar-coat it like everyone else," She said in a friendly way. "I probably know that better than most, but if love gives you wings, then you will fly through it."

"Thanks, Lucy," Peri returned the hug. "You're the only one who hasn't ignored the elephant in the room."

"Yeah that's not my style," she chuckled. "I have decided we are going to be BFF's because you're about the bravest bitch I know aside of me." Josh raised an eyebrow at his straight-talking sister. "Don't look at me like that Josh, you know it's true."

"You're not usually so laconic," he chuckled.

"Dino's on leave for the holidays," she said as if that explained everything. "The man talks and swears like a sailor, it rubs off after a while."

"Maybe because he is a sailor, duh?" Maryanne said making them all laugh. "He's here too and Paulo so we came to bring you to the party."

"Who is Paulo?" Josh furrowed his brow.

"My new boyfriend, gosh keep up will you," she gave him a cheeky smile.

"Oh right, sorry, should have known that I guess," Josh laughed. "Are you ready?" he asked Peri who nodded and moved to take his hand. Maryanne took his other hand, and he looked at Lucia apologetically, "Not enough hands sorry."

"That's okay I would rather hold her hand anyway," she laughed again, and the four of them walked hand in hand back down the track to the main house. To Josh's surprise, several of his other siblings were there as well, and an impromptu engagement party ensued ensuring that Peri and Josh's last meal together was full of laughter and merriment.

"It's a long story brother of mine, I already told you in a way. Best you read that novel you wheedled out of me," Lucia said when Josh found a moment alone with her to ask about her time in the facility. Then she turned and went in search of Dante. Her dark and brooding brother was possibly the only one aside of Izabella that she had confided in about what had occurred all those years ago, and she wanted to tell him about the book and that she had given it to Josh.

She found Dante in surprisingly good humour talking quietly with Peri out on the deck. She watched to two of them together curiously before interrupting and asking to steal Dante away.

Peri wandered back inside to find Josh; this had been a lovely surprise, but as the time ticked away, she felt the need to be with him. Finding him talking to Ben, she smiled and went and burrowed under his arm so he would wrap it around her.

"It's about that time," She said quietly. "Do you think we could just sneak off without any fanfare, I am feeling a bit anxious," she put her hand on her belly and looked up at him.

"I got you covered," Ben said easily, "We'll have another one of these in a couple of months to welcome you back," he whispered and bent to kiss her cheek.

"Thanks, Ben," she smiled glad he had not wished her luck or said the word goodbye.

*****

They sat closely together on the small family plane saying nothing. The Captains' voice came over the speaker announcing that they were about to start a long descent and should be on the ground in fifteen minutes breaking their thoughts. Josh sat up untangling his arms from her and reached under the seat for a small box.

"I am not going to ask you if you are ready. I don't think either of us ever would be," he smiled and kissed her. "Thank you. Lucy is right you are brave and beautiful and the best thing to ever happen to me," he said softly taking the soft leather collar from the box and wrapping it around her neck. The plane jolted over air pockets as it made it descent and Josh smiled. "Thank you for loving me this much."

Peri placed her hand on his cheek and kissed him then. She had no words and even though she had met and talked about the trial with Joseph, Josh's reaction to leaving her here seemed ominous, and her anxiousness only increased no matter how many times she told herself she had no need to be worried.

The plane touched down and taxied to a stop at the end of the runway rather than close to the gate of their home. Josh took her hand and led her from the plane crossing the small distance to where his father stood beside a second plane.

"I don't understand," Josh said from a few feet away gripping her hand tightly.

"It has been decided that she will undergo two weeks intensive training with the Battaglia before being presented to the Sitting. If she impresses that will be an end to it and she will return home with me and we can discuss whether she can return and serve the remainder of her time with you or here on the farm," Joseph said without emotion. "It was the best of the alternatives on offer to an outsider," he added letting a hint of softness colour his voice as he looked at his son. "I did my best to push pulling all credit due to our family.

"This will not be an easy task," Josh said softly to Peri. "I understand what it entails, and I won't stop you if you want to change your mind now."

"Tell me you love me," she said softly looking up into his worried face.

"Always and forever," he kissed her lightly.

"Then this is what has to be," she swallowed loudly and reached up to cup his cheek gently, "I love you more than that even." She let go of his hand then and walked to stand by Joseph's side.

"You may show her to her seat and prepare the flight for take-off," Joseph instructed the two men who stood with him.

"I will remain to watch over her trial and ensure no harm comes to her," Joseph reassured his son who watched her climb the steps and enter the plane. "Understand that my instruction technique is being called into question with a second daughter requiring rehabilitation." He tried to explain. "The question of an outsider in our family as well has made the chairs suspicious."

"I understand," Josh said woodenly, his whole body tense.

"That is all I can ask, I will keep you informed of her progress," Joseph turned and entered the plane himself leaving Josh alone on the tarmac. He watched the plane take off before wandering slowly up the tarmac to his home. He doubted that his mother was still awake, but maybe Carlo would have an open bottle of something at the ready to pour him a drink.

*****

"It will be a three-hour flight, I suggest you get some sleep, there is a bed at the back of the cabin," Joseph pointed the way.

"Thank you, Sir," Peri undid her seat belt and made her way to the rear of the plane seeing two bunks prepared for them. She noted that Joseph had turned his chair to watch her but made no move to follow her.

She closed her eyes and willed herself to sleep trying to block out the plane and everything that was happening to her. The past few nights with Josh and the several glasses of wine she had at the party helped her falling into a restless sleep, and she woke to find Joseph placing a heavy padded blanket over her and clicking it into unseen restraints.

"Sleep it is just a little turbulence he murmured and left her side. When next she woke the engines sounded loud and the plane touched down jolting her within the blanket cocoon that surrounded her. She lay where she was for long moments with her eyes closed feeling the last vestiges of sleep fall away and her anxiousness return.

She heard the pilots voice announce their arrival and the temperature in Canberra. At least, she knew where she was which was a bonus she hadn't expected considering the secrecy around this family.

"Ah good, you are awake," Joseph came to speak to her and undo the restraints that held her tightly to the bed. "It is only a short ride now to the place that will be your home for two weeks. I will be close by though you will more than likely not see me for the duration of your stay. I am impressed by your commitment to Joshua, and I hope you keep that firmly in your mind during the trial they ask of you here."

"Yes, Sir," Peri replied woodenly her nervousness heightened by his words rather than soothed.

"I believe you more than capable of surprising even the cynical trainers here of your commitment to becoming part of the family," he smiled, "I am proud to be the one to introduce you to the family here as my future daughter."

"You may use the bathroom to freshen up if you wish, you have some time until we alight," he indicated a door behind them.

"Thank you, Sir," Peri smiled and stood to move towards the door. Joseph watched her go considering the girl's obvious anxiousness and her use of the word Sir. He would much rather she call him Papa as all of the children did but she had not earned that right yet. He was pleased that the Battaglia had been called on to see to her trial and felt a wave of protectiveness toward the young woman. He would not have wanted to be the one to turn her away if she had failed the trial.

Peri relieved her bladder and stood to look the mirror. She looked as tired as she felt and she rubbed her fingers over patches of her face trying to blend what was left of her makeup together and present a half decent face to her hosts. She laughed then imagining it to be like Andie's boot camp, hosts was probably not the right word here. She fixed her hair as best she could without a brush or comb and stepped back out into the cabin.

"Let's go and meet the Battaglia, you know of their table and the current leader from your research I assume?" Joseph said keeping his voice light and engaging her in conversation as they walked down to the waiting car.

"In all honesty, I have not looked into the other tables very much except the original table of twelve. I couldn't tell you much more than the names of any except the Donati," she said nervously.

"Ah then let me enlighten you as we travel," Joseph said with a smile holding her door open for her. Climbing in beside her he took her hand in his. "The Battaglia come from a long line of warriors and even now most of the men have military careers. Whereas in our family and I would say most of the other families rank and responsibility relies on age and experience, we hold to the views of the younger son succeeding to the chair. The Battaglia leaders are determined by promotion through a military type of regime."

"That's unusual from what I have read of about the family so far," Peri couldn't help her curiosity and turned to look at Joseph as he spoke.

"They are an unusual family, but fiercely loyal and the best of the best regarding military prowess. Even the women of this family are treated differently and given some form of responsibility if they show promise," Joseph chuckled.

"Surely there are many women who show promise in a whole range of ways," Peri said before stopping to think about to whom she has just spoken.

"Yes, you are right. There are many including my beautiful girls who bring great value to our families," he agreed. "The Battaglia run a facility for those who need help with addiction or other issues or concerns the family may have. Quite often the patients there may need the kinder gentler touch of a woman to help them recover. There was a beautiful young woman that was placed in the care of the men who ran the facility many years ago. Such was her power of persuasion and duplicity that she was able to come and go as she wished and to treat the facility like her personal palace and the Battaglia men as her servants. They struggled to regain their standing within the twelve after that flaw was discovered. The presence of both sexes in the facility has seen that such a thing would not happen again."

"I understand what you meant now," Peri gave a small nervous laugh. "I assume if I had any powers of persuasion, then they wouldn't help me then during this trial."

"Perhaps not but you have other qualities that will stand you in good stead," he squeezed her hand. "It is a trial, meant to test your loyalty and commitment to our family values. In my eyes, you have already done that by agreeing to this so willingly. They will see that as well."

The car slowed as it approached a tall guarded gate which opened slowly for them after a flashlight ran over the car and driver. They rolled slowly up the driveway gravel crunching under the wheels of the car. Peri looked out into the darkness trying to make out the tall building they approached. The car swung around to the right of the building and drove down further towards a group of townhouses that sat like a small village before another large building. It was difficult to make out the details of the houses in the darkness but as the car pulled up in front of one of the townhouses Peri smiled at the quaint, charming façade.

xelliebabex
xelliebabex
5,506 Followers