The Twelve Tables Ch. 29

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
xelliebabex
xelliebabex
5,536 Followers

"You knew very well that the package was for me. This isn't your home you are a guest here. Why would you open it?" Peri asked in a voice much calmer than she felt. "Not only open it but then take it upon yourself to use it as if it was your own, sent to you personally."

"I wasn't thinking, it was addressed to Mrs. Donati, that's my name," Emily whispered her rehearsed excuse staring at Peri as if she had grown to heads.

"That's a dreadful excuse, and you know it. Tell me what would happen if I did that in your home?" Peri asked moving closer as Emily continued to stare at her. "Does this mean I can start opening all your mail when it is delivered from your home to here?" She asked he stupid question to make her point. "I took you into my home, and I have been protecting you from the realities you haven't wanted to face for days, and you have taken my kindness and given nothing in return, not even the respect of being a guest in my home."

"I didn't realise you would be so bothered by me looking at the book. It was an easy mistake to make," Emily said again sounding less sure of herself.

"No, Emily it wasn't. You took my mail for yourself. It wasn't sent to us as you put it, it was sent to me under strict conditions which you had no knowledge of. I think we need to talk about the real reason you wanted to come and stay with me," Peri said. "Do you think my kindness and acceptance of everyone here, including yourself make me weak. Did you think you could just come in here and take over my household and my life so you could avoid going home and facing Ben? Was all of the histrionics just an act to get out of any punishment for betraying your husband and his family? Did you only think me so weak-willed that I wouldn't mind?"

"You don't know how the families work. Carmen told you that you need us. I am only helping you, Peri," Emily said as if talking to a simpleton. "You're not capable of looking after a household this big let alone my family. Carmen said so," she said blaming her absent sister-in-law for her current behaviour.

"I see," Peri nodded. "So helping me means you feel the need to treat me like a child or a staff member and take over the running of my home and invade my privacy? You honestly thought I would just let you because you have grown up within the families and knew better than me."

"I wouldn't have put it like that. It's obvious you are out of your depth, though," Emily answered. "You should be thanking me, not scolding me. Someone needed to take control around here. You have no clue how to manage the house and children while being a good wife to your husband."

"Let's see about that, shall we? I certainly never endangered the family or betrayed them. I have never kept secrets from Josh or Dante because I was scared of the consequences. I would never have entered yours or anyone's home and treated them with the disregard you have shown me since returning from the hospital," Peri's voice lowered in anger. She knew it was just a book but it was the last straw in a large pile of straws, and she realised she had done both Emily and Ben a disservice protecting her from facing up to the consequences of what she had done.

"That's unfair of you Peri. You said that I was duped and didn't understand who I was talking to on those emails," Emily protested. "You are the one who told everyone that I wouldn't have done it purposefully."

"Wouldn't you Emily? When you realised that you were being duped you tried to hide it rather than trusting Ben to help you and look after the family. Instead, you drew Carmen into the mess you created, and she is paying the penalty while you stand in my kitchen, commanding my staff and opening my personal mail as if it is your right," Peri let her anger show in her voice.

"I've apologised about the package. I didn't realise you would be so upset about it," Emily stated again. "It was a simple mistake, and now I know." The haughtiness came back into her voice and Peri realised there wasn't an apology coming, not a sincere one.

"As much as I will miss the children, and the plans I have made for them will have to change. I think you and your family will be happier at the farm if you don't wish to return home with Ben," Peri said abruptly realising that Emily had no idea why she was so angry. It was more than the book, at that moment she just felt used by a manipulative woman who had no respect for her.

"You can't mean that, think of Ben, think of the children," Emily said finally realising just how upset Peri was with her and not understanding why. "It was just a book Peri, You are being ridiculous!"

"It isn't about the book, Emily. It's about how you treat my staff and me. You just told me that you thought I was incapable of running my household," Peri's voice rose. "You have been using me to avoid the consequences of your actions, while the rest of us have to continue cleaning up the mess Nik, and you made. You need to talk to Ben today because I will be talking to Josh and Dante. I don't keep anything from them, even the unpleasant things."

"I can't," Emily began to cry.

"I would rather you contained yourself to your suite or the children's rooms until I have spoken to them about you going to the farm or home with Ben," Peri said too angry to be moved by the tears or even believe the tears were real. "I'll call Pete for you if you feel another stupor coming on," Peri didn't hold back her anger.

Emily fled to her room, and Peri stalked to the library. It was just a book, but it was so much more than that, and she knew she had to call Josh straight away before she lost her resolve. She saw the book sitting on her desk as she sat down and sighed. She knew she was going to sound petulant and whiny when she told Josh and Dante how the argument had erupted, but there was no point worrying about that now. She had told Emily she would be speaking to Josh and Dante, and she knew the sooner she did so, the better it would go.

It was eleven thirty and she hoped she wouldn't be disturbing anything important for Josh and Dante if she called now. Picking up her iPad, silently thanking Rae for unpacking her office equipment first, she used Skype to call Josh and Dante in a three-way conference call. They both answered immediately as she had hoped and she explained the argument that had just occurred and the ultimatum she had just given Emily.

"I confined her to her room or those of the children until she speaks to Ben or we do," she finished speaking and waited for the rebuke she knew was coming for over-reacting.

"I wanted to do that yesterday, but Josh convinced me to let you handle it," Dante said. She could hear the concern in his voice, and there seemed to be a lot of noise in the background of the skype call.

"It's time to make Emily face the music whether she likes it not. If she tries that that whole hysterical stupor thing again I will suggest the Battaglia facility as the hospital," Josh said in a hard voice. "I agree with Peri. It's all been a bit of a game for a spoilt woman not to have to be held accountable for the things she's done. Biting the hand that fed and protected her, however, was a mistake she won't live down in a hurry. Even if we don't have all the proof we need to confront her."

"We'll be home as soon as we can, you did the right thing," Dante reassured her. Both men ended the call with words of love and Peri was left sitting and staring at her iPad. Wondering what had just happened. She had been ready for recriminations or a talk about over-reacting. Not the totally agreement she had received. The more she thought about it the more she got the impression that they were talking about something different, something bigger.

What proof were they talking about? She had confessed to them about the emails. Peri immediately felt guilt and sadness over how Josh and Dane had reacted to her argument with Emily. It was just a book, and she had provoked her, but the woman had managed to make her angrier in two days than anyone ever had in her lifetime. Emily had treated her like a servant at best ordering her to change all of her plans time and time again without even an iota of consideration for the people who had worked long and hard on them. She felt her anger rise again and took a calming breath. It wasn't like her to get angry, and she wondered why this woman seemed to be able to press her buttons so easily.

She heard men's voices enter the house, and she wondered how the men she loved had managed to get here so quickly. She only just hung up the phone minutes ago. Confused she walked out into the entryway and saw CJ and Carlo striding through the house toward the guest suites asking questions of Rae and Jackson who had seen their approach and met them at the door.

"Carlo? What are you doing here?" Peri called after him.

"Today I am a plumber's apprentice," he grinned. "Nothing to worry about, I'll fill you in once we're done."

"CJ is a plumber?" she asked her confusion deepening. "In a manner of speaking. I'll be back after we've dealt with it. I wanted to talk to you about plans for the weekend too," he smiled. "Go check on the babies I'll come find you."

"Mrs. Donati, it would be best if you remained in the residential wing for the moment," Phillipe said quietly from behind her.

"No, I'm not going anywhere until someone tells me what's going on?" Peri said her anger and confusion rising to make her belligerent. Phillipe didn't argue with her, he simply picked her up and moved her bodily to the small corridor that led to her bedroom suite and nursery and then stood in front of the closed door essentially trapping her in the area.

"I need to speak to Josh about how much authority he has given you and Gerrard. Speaking of which, where might he be?" Peri asked icily.

"I've just done a sweep of the rooms, and you and the angels are quite safe in here," Gerrard came from behind her.

"This is my home, of course, I'm safe," Peri sighed swinging her head between them both. "Care to tell me why I wouldn't be?"

"Mrs. Donati, if the choice is between your anger and that of your husband, I am assuming you know how that will go," Phillipe spread his hands.

"Urgh!" Peri yelled in frustration and stomped into the nursery to find Heather had bundled up the babies into one cot and was standing in front of it with a frightened looking Melanie like a human shield.

"Oh this is ridiculous," Peri wasn't frightened for a change, she was angry. She threw up her hands in frustration and fished her phone out of her pocket only to find there was no reception.

*****

xelliebabex
xelliebabex
5,536 Followers