The Twelve Vitali Ch. 18

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
xelliebabex
xelliebabex
5,531 Followers

"Seriously? A beer bottle label was the best you could come up with?" Ricco groaned.

"I proposed the first night I met her, I wasn't prepared," Matteo sighed defensively. "It was the best I could come up with on short notice."

"Where is this impromptu ring now?" Ricco asked, picking up Cat's left hand. He could see her frown as if trying to remember what had happened to it on the day she had accepted his proposal on the flight to Melbourne.

"I have it," Matteo grinned. "When I propose, and you say yes for good, I will give it back again."

"You're not even going to spring for a new beer label?" Ricco teased. "I could make you one from a champagne label, and you could trade up," he offered.

"That would depend entirely on the champagne," she giggled, making him raise his eyebrow.

"Don't look at me, that's something you have to work out for yourself, I'm not helping you steal my girl from me," Matteo chuckled. He appreciated that, having spent so much time with Ricco over the last few weeks, he didn't feel strange about the easy banter that had an overtone of intimacy about it. They talked about the future as if they would live it together, and even Cat seemed to be taking it for what it was.

One of the pilots appeared in the door leading to the cockpit and nodded to Matteo, who got to his feet and disappeared through the door.

"Papa must have heard what happened this morning," Ricco commented, making all her guilt and ill feeling rush back. "I guarantee he approves of everything you and Matteo did," he reassured her. "You tried to make things right between the families; he, above everyone, would appreciate that. He will also appreciate that Matteo wouldn't be treated with disrespect while visiting the facility."

"Thanks for saying that," Cat gave a small smile. "Can I ask you a personal question?" she asked.

"I think for this whole relationship between the three of us to work you will be asking a lot of personal questions. I know I fucked up the first time with you, but I will prove you can trust me. Matt and I have talked about how important it is to be honest and put everything out there. If we don't it can never work and we will all end up miserable," he said gently, knowing she had less than twenty-four hours to get used to the fact that he would be part of her and Matteo's relationship.

"Why did Matt say that Nymph could call him Sir and you Master?" she asked. Her curiosity had been peaked at the time, and it had remained as an unanswered question in the back of her mind.

"I have had more mentoring than him from a real Master who works with the women we train in Melbourne. Matteo is a Dominant in the sense of an Alpha. He knows how to engage in the BDSM lifestyle sanely and safely. I know that, but I have also had further training in the art of Shibari and Kinbaku and earned the titles of Nawashi, which means Rope Master, and Kinbakushi, which roughly translates to Rope Bondage Master," he explained in detail for her, knowing she would need to ask further questions if he didn't. Cat always had so many questions, and he had taken on board the information Matteo had given him about Cat's insecurities and her need to understand before she would trust and accept the relationship they would need to build.

"I don't think Matteo has rope in his white room. Miss Hella used it sometimes for different things," she explained without going into detail.

"I didn't know the white room existed, to tell you the truth, but I am not surprised," Ricco said thoughtfully. "I imagine it will be some time before you and I find ourselves in that room. As I said, I know I screwed up, and we need to build trust again. I'm patient, to a point, and I would never do anything to hurt yours and Matt's relationship."

"So, what then? We date and get to know each other all over again?" she asked. The fact that she had been thinking about being intimate with him again during her training was something she wasn't ready to discuss.

"Sure. Why not? I doubt Matt would mind if we had a date night now and then," he agreed. "There are no hard and fast rules to this, but I have told Matt that I don't want to live like a monk or have a Kept. As I said, I'm patient, and I am sure we can work out any problems that arise as we go."

"Did you have a relationship with Maryanne?" she asked. "When you thought Jacobi would be named as Chair?"

"That was the plan, I guess, but you can't fake chemistry, and we didn't have it. Strange for Maryanne, since Cobi and I look pretty similar, but I don't think they embraced the idea, and I wanted a real relationship, especially after meeting you. I got confused and torn between what I felt and wanted with you and what I knew I would have to do if Cobi's predictions were right," Ricco admitted. "I couldn't have told you at the time, you wouldn't have understood. It was never about you, I loved everything about you, I was just in a bad place, and you were right to leave me at the time."

"Our relationship back then was always doomed. I would never have been able to accept any of this without everything that happened in between," Cat said wistfully. "I left Melbourne because there was always something good between us, so that whenever we saw each other we were drawn together. I had to leave or end up back in a bad cycle with a man coming back to claim me over and over again. I met Matt the night I arrived in Brisbane, then Peri Donati took me into her family, and they all embraced me and gave me a glimpse into the families of the twelve tables," she paused and took a breath. "Your brother, though, he wouldn't let me run away. He made me face some realities about myself and my life and showed me that none of the things from my past that I wore like a badge of shame mattered to him or anyone else. He made me feel worthy, and I never had to prove myself to him."

"None of that ever mattered to me either!" Ricco said defensively.

"I know that now, but I wasn't ready to hear it then. I don't think you were ready to say it then either. Everything that happened from the time I met Vanessa has led me to this place and was meant to happen, I think, so that I can sit here and tell you that I love Matteo. I love him with my whole heart, and going to the Battaglia and accepting that you and I will have a relationship is what I will do because I love him and can't bear the thought of not having him in my life," she said seriously. "The old Cat would be avoiding both of you and wanting to go home to my little house when we arrived home because I caused the problems last night and this morning, but I know he won't let me, and I know he still loves me, even though I messed up badly. I know it in here, and in here." She touched her head and her heart.

"I have to admit that, even though I'm a little bit jealous, I am glad you told me that. Matt deserves a love like that. He's the best of us, and I love him too," Ricco told her in the same serious tone.

"Papa wants us home when we arrive," Matteo said. He had heard most of what they had said to each other, and he moved to pick Cat up and sit on the chair, pulling her into his lap. "Ricco's right. Papa's pleased with the way we handled everything with the Battaglia, as is Bruno, who called him. You have nothing to be concerned about," he reassured Cat and nuzzled her neck, breathing in the scent of her.

*****

"You didn't run away or opt out," Roberto said, as Cat took a seat near his desk after Matteo and Ricco had been dismissed to go and find their brothers. They had briefly stopped at home and dressed for a special family dinner to welcome herself and Kalum home. She felt very overdressed in the blue dress Matteo liked so much.

"No, right up until the final day when Matteo and Ricco arrived I was treated well and have no complaints," she said carefully. She had made her one complaint to Bruno Battaglia himself.

"You handled the final days there well. You tried to make the situation better. Unfortunately, the woman involved did not take your cue. It is sometimes difficult for those who hold power to forget that it can be a temporary thing. Tell me what you learned of your role in supporting Matteo and Ricco to lead our family," he sat back, touching his fingertips together in a steeple as he often did when having a serious conversation with her.

He listened as she spoke about the responsibility to give back to the community and the extended family who were not in such a privileged position. She would need to get to know the large family and would work with not only Theresa but the wives of the other brothers and cousins who would make up the new table to ensure that everyone felt valued. She would have a staff that she would need to oversee, and she would become involved in serveral charitable organisations that she could choose for herself or take on the ones already favoured by the family. In addition to all of this, she hoped to maintain her own career, at least on a part-time basis, and begin building a family with both of the men.

"Delegation is the key to keeping all of the events you will need to juggle in order," he nodded at her summary and interrupted with small corrections and little tips such as this from time to time. "You have done well, and I believe the recommendation to spend time getting to know the other mothers of the table will be good for you, but they are not urgent recommendations and can wait until after the gathering."

"If you think that's best," Cat agreed.

"I do," he smiled. "There is one very important element of being a mother that you haven't mentioned yet, I would like to meet at least one of the men who will populate the next table while I am able to enjoy the moment."

"Maryanne is about to have a son," Cat said quickly.

"That child may not ever sit on the table, depending on how many sons you and Matteo's other brother's wives produce," Roberto explained. "All of the other responsibilities pale in significance and can be delegated to others. Only you can produce the next generation of Vitali leaders."

"Matteo and I have talked about children and wanting a big family, I had just thought that I would have a year or two before we had to start," she said quietly.

"I'm not sure I will be here to meet your first born if you take that long," Roberto said sadly. "It took far too long for you to fall in love with one of my sons, for my liking," he chuckled.

"I thought it was a bit of a whirlwind romance myself," Cat laughed. The truth was that they had only talked about having a family of their own recently, and not in depth at all, but she hated to admit that. If Roberto wanted grandchildren soon, she would need to start thinking about it seriously instead of a 'one-day' plan. "I have known you much longer than I have known Matteo."

"Papa, we're home," a soft feminine voice said after a soft knock preceded the door opening.

"Mia, is Kalum with you?" Roberto asked.

"Yes, thank you, Papa! The whole thing was a dream! I'm so happy!" Mia gushed. "Look, Cat," Mia came into the room holding her finger out for Cat to see a glittering ring. "I'm engaged!"

"That's so exciting, congratulations, Mia!" Cat embraced her tightly and squealed over the beautiful ring.

"I'm hoping your brother will get me one of those one day soon," she grinned.

"I'm sure he will. I have never seen him so happy," Mia laughed. "He's almost as happy as I am!"

"Where's Kalum?" Cat asked. "I should take the opportunity to kiss him in congratulations before he's a married man."

"He went to find Matt and tell him before the others. Matt's always been a bit overprotective of me, and Kalum doesn't want to piss him off," she said with a laugh. "You probably haven't seen his temper, but he can be pretty scary when he wants to be."

"I've seen it, and you're right," Cat agreed. "I don't blame Kalum for going to tell him first."

While Mia and Cat had been gushing over the ring, Roberto had made a call, and a moment later a confused looking Kalum entered the room escorted by Lucca.

"I got him just in time," Lucca nodded at his father.

"In time for what?" Kalum asked, his confusion clear in his voice.

"Catriona, would you mind terribly waiting for me with Lucca while I congratulate my daughter and her fiancé, please?" Roberto said in a cheerful tone, and guided Mia and Kalum from the library out the side door that led to the extensive grounds.

"What's going on?" Cat asked. "I thought Roberto would be happy that he had returned and proposed to Mia."

"He is, we all are. Kalum's a great guy. I expect Papa would rather they didn't tell everyone about the engagement yet so they can throw them a party. Our family loves a party, and with so many aunts and uncles you can only imagine what weddings and engagement parties are like," he grinned. "I guess you'll find out sooner or later."

"I'm hoping so," she laughed self-consciously. "I'm not sure about the party, but I'd like the wedding part. Maybe we could elope."

"Not likely. If you did they would make you come back and have a real wedding anyway," Lucca chuckled.

"It won't matter if he never proposes," she gave a nervous laugh.

"I thought he already had?" Lucca looked at her speculatively.

"He did, sort of, but I wouldn't accept formally until he proposed properly, instead of," she paused. "He just didn't propose very well the first hundred times, so when he finally wore me down, I said he would have to propose properly before I would say yes properly."

"First hundred times?" Lucca looked at her incredulously.

"He was pretty persistent, which is why I didn't think he really meant it," she shrugged.

"So, he needs a pretty grand gesture to make you believe he means it?" Lucca asked, seeing Roberto come back into the room and nod at him.

"Not grand, it just needs to be more than, 'hey, babe, how about now'?" she giggled.

"He calls you babe?" Lucca winced.

"No, but that's the general feel of it. He'd ask in the morning and I'd say no, and an hour later he'd say, 'how about now'?" Cat shook her head but continued to giggle. "I bet Kalum was very romantic when he proposed to Mia. They look so in love and happy," she said with a wide smile.

"No doubt we'll find out soon enough," Lucca agreed.

"Thank you for waiting for me. Let me escort you to dinner," Roberto held out his arm for her to take as Lucca skipped ahead and opened the door for them, disappearing through it at the same time. "We have quite a few of the extended family here tonight; everyone has been so concerned with Stefano's health that with your return it seemed a good time for a dinner party. Theresa has been wonderful pulling this all together at the last minute."

"Oh," Cat faltered. She had no idea she was walking into a party. "I only made it as far as the library when we arrived."

"Don't worry, my dear, they are all quite friendly, and, I expect, looking forward to meeting you and Kalum tonight," he said reassuringly. They walked through the house to the back deck that overlooked the pool area and turned toward the side of the house. A large Marquee had been set up and was lit with soft lighting, making it glow golden against the darkness of the night. People milled around inside chatting jovially in small groups as they approached, and as they came to the entrance a hush descended, and people began to take their seats as Roberto escorted her through the centre of the marquee to where Matteo sat with Stefano and Theresa as well, as the four other older siblings.

"It's good to see you, Stefano, you're looking well," Cat smiled and bent to kiss his cheek.

"Looking well, considering," he chuckled at her polite greeting. "I am fighting fit and ready to dance the night away," he winked at her. "After my son makes the opening speech, maybe you and I can tango, I can still give these young ones a run for their money."

"I don't doubt it, but I would hate for Matteo to develop performance issues this early in our relationship, because you're such a hard act to follow," she laughed easily, and Stefano erupted into a roar of laughter that made him cough.

"Thanks for the consideration," Matteo groaned, giving his father a stern look. "I think the only dancing you will be doing tonight is the waltz with Mama, if you're lucky, and she's not so heartbroken by your flirting with my girl that she will turn you down."

"I don't see you telling him to get his hands off your girl," Stefano pointed to Roberto.

"I don't have reason to," Matteo shrugged. "He's not openly flirting with her."

"That you know of anyway," Roberto chuckled and took his seat, allowing Matteo to pull out the chair beside him for Cat. When she sat, she realised a hush had descended on the gathered crowd, and her eyes scanned the room looking for a familiar face. Her eyes landed on David and Mick, and she smiled. She had known that David had started to become close to Matteo, and even Ricco, to a degree, but she hadn't expected to see him at a Vitali family dinner. He was sitting beside Frankie and Anna, and Cat realised he probably was a little like family to at least Frankie and his wife. That was the last thought she had before she heard Matteo address the small crowd. He had stood beside her to make what she assumed was the opening speech for the night, and she turned toward him in her seat, leaning back into Ricco who had been seated on the other side of her.

"Thank you, everyone, for coming tonight at such short notice," he began. "I've invited you all here to meet the woman I love, Catriona Leone," he paused as there was a general murmur and a small smattering of applause. "Despite proposing at least a hundred times, she has managed to resist my charming ways," there was a general murmur of discontent, and he held up his hands and smiled at them all. "To help you to understand why she might decline the invitation to become Mrs. Matteo Vitali, I'd like you to indulge me as I tell you the story of how we met and why a confirmed bachelor like myself would have fallen in love with this woman." He turned and indicated Cat, who sat beside him blushing deeply.

"What are you doing?" she whispered, mortified by where this speech was heading.

"Trust me," he smirked and turned back to his captive audience. "Late last year I travelled to Brisbane to meet with my long-time friend and cousin, Dante Donati, and his brother, Joshua. They'd given me an apartment for the duration of my stay, and I was there relaxing on a dark and stormy night in my pyjamas. I was reading the family newsletter when the door crashed open and a drowned rat, with what looked close to tribal war paint streaked across her face, practically fell over the threshold," he paused as there were titters of amusement from his audience.

"At a loss, I asked the first thing that came to mind, "Why is your face blue?" and she responded by demanding to know what I was doing in her apartment. Being my charming self, I explained that she was mistaken and she had to leave. I even suggested that she go back out into the near cyclonic weather and find somewhere else to stay. Unsurprisingly, she told me that she would not be the one to leave," he waited again as quiet laughter erupted. "After discovering a tube of paint in her artist kit had exploded, she went to the bathroom to clean up, and I called Dante to find out what the deal was with the apartment. It was a simple mix up that could be corrected the next day," he explained casually before remarking. "The next thing I knew the drowned rat with blue war paint had disappeared, and this beautiful woman emerged from the bathroom."

"We shared pizza and beer and talked about our lives, and I proposed that first night. She even seemed to consider the proposal until she found out who I was and turned me down flat. She knew some of my family, and unbeknownst to me she had, until flying to Brisbane that night, worked for my sister's interior design company as an artist. It seemed the Vitali name wasn't as impressive as I had thought," he chuckled with the crowd as she blushed deeper. "Or it might have been that I proposed to her with this ring," he held up the first ring for all to see, "I had fashioned it from a beer bottle label as we chatted that first night." There was more laughter. "I know what you're all thinking, and even though I am a real charmer and present her with this magnificent ring, she still turned me down. Unbelievable, right?"

xelliebabex
xelliebabex
5,531 Followers