The Twelve Zenati Pt. 12

Story Info
The Sneaky Bitch.
14.2k words
4.84
30.6k
15

Part 13 of the 41 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 09/10/2018
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
xelliebabex
xelliebabex
5,532 Followers

Author's note: Hello everyone. Unfortunately, I haven't been as well as I would have hoped by now and the treatment has worn me down so I am a bit slower than usual. While I will continue to get chapters out as fast as possible, please excuse any future tardiness especially over the busy holiday season. I hope you continue to enjoy this series of the Tables. Thank you once again to Kate for being my second set of eyes. Enjoy! ~ellie.

*****

Gideon watched as Vivienne turned and walked further down the corridor to the suite where Olivia and Genesis lived at present. He couldn't pull his eyes away, even after she had turned back and given him a soft smile before walking through the door. He had thought that once he had won her, married her, possessed her completely that the need for her would diminish enough for him to be able to get back to work and do what he needed for his table and his family. His need for her and to be with her as much as possible had only increased in the weeks since they married, to his constant amazement.

It took willpower for him to turn away from the corridor and walk into the room that had become their base of operations. While not quite an athenaeum like the generations before them, this room and building had potential and was becoming more and more streamlined and purposeful every day. The combined and varied intellect of his brothers and cousins was proving better than any of them had imagined in the beginning. They skillfully managed to juggle the needs of their elders of the first table with those of their own to ensure the care of their families as they worked with the AFP to ensure the Suebi were decimated if not entirely defeated.

Gideon saw Noah, who once again he sat with Xavier and Dominic in hushed conversation at the conference table in the glass-walled room. He'd noticed that for the first time in weeks Noah had seemed relaxed and loose-limbed as if dispelling some of the tension that had plagued him, and Gideon had thought that he had finally acted on the obvious attraction between himself and Marcella. He'd been wrong he'd realised, as the two continued to dance around each other with oddly flirtatious and cutting banter during their family dinner. He was curious about what was going on with his brother and became determined to have a heart-to-heart with him today after the meeting Xavier had called this morning.

Approaching the three men, he smiled widely and prepared some humorous quips for each of them when the serious looks on their faces and obvious tension in the air brought him up short. His quips died on his tongue, and his smile dialled down to a cheeky smirk as he tilted his head in question. His normal mode would have been to break the tension with a teasing joke, but something told him that wasn't what was called for here, so he took a seat and let the smirk drop, becoming serious.

"Someone want to tell me what's going on? You three have been acting like you broke your mama's favourite vase and stuck it back together with bubble-gum," Gideon asked looking at each of them in turn.

"Where's Gen?" Xavier asked, glancing around the room.

"I imagine he'll be here in a minute, I can hurry him along though," Gideon said easily and pulled his phone from his jacket pocket.

"Tell him we need to leave," Xavier said without preamble, "And he needs to come with us when we go." Gideon raised an eyebrow but sent the text message as he stood with the others walking back toward the corridor.

"Where are we going?" Gideon murmured softly to Noah.

"We've been summoned by the old men," Noah grumbled but gave his brother a look that said he wouldn't discuss it further yet.

Genesis caught up to them as they exited the building and met Orlando who stood leaning against his dark SUV with a grin.

"Shotgun," Gideon chuckled and walked towards Orlando who opened the front passenger door with a flourish. It was only when Genesis climbed into the back seat, and he realised the other three men would be taking another car, that Gideon once again became suspicious and worried about what was going on with Noah and the two leaders of their table. Something was going on that he couldn't get a handle on, and he had always prided himself of being ahead of the game. He tapped his phone in thought before turning to question Orlando who was chatting easily about Olivia's recovery with Genesis, but before he could get a word out Orlando shot him a look similar to the one Noah had given him as they left the building.

"Do either of you want to tell me why we've been summoned?" Genesis asked, noting the look Orlando gave Gideon in that moment of silence.

"I'm as clueless as you," Gideon said in a serious tone, showing his brother the truth of his words.

"I expect we'll all find out soon enough," Orlando shrugged.

"There's no way you don't know what's going on," Genesis accused. "You're the goddamn watchman!"

"You don't honestly believe that Claudio lets me near any sensitive information yet?" Orlando chuckled. "You know how he is about his family secrets. I'm not sure it's him or even Papa who called this meeting, though. I think somethings going on with X and Dom," he confided.

"You noticed that too, huh? Except they seem to have drawn Noah into their conspiracy in the last few weeks or so," Gideon added his own concerns.

"Even I've noticed that much," Genesis agreed. "It has something to do with the Tatar woman who came with us to the AFP deposition. Beyond that, I haven't found out much more." The fact that it also seemed to involve Marcella seemed so ridiculous that he hadn't even bothered investigating that small snippet of information he had managed to glean from reading between the lines when he spoke to the three men.

"You know more than me then," Orlando frowned. "What makes you think the Tatar are pushing this agenda?"

"After the deposition, Noah and Marcella went to meet with another agent about the assets and Olivia's access to her personal belongings. Something went on in there beyond Marcella being a demanding, disagreeable bitch as usual," Genesis grumbled. "Noah started meeting with X and Dom every free minute after that and seems to be keeping even closer tabs on Marcella without appearing to, though I doubt she has anything to do with what's going on. She didn't even know Olivia was alive until I found her," Genesis tried to put his confused findings into words for Orlando and Gideon.

"Yeah, it was definitely around then that all the Secret Squirrel stuff started happening," Gideon agreed.

"I guess we find out now," Orlando announced as he pulled into the long driveway of the manor style house that served as the home for the current leaders of their family. Stepping from the car they turned as Noah and the other two men parked behind them and joined them before walking into the house.

"Guess this is pretty fuckin' serious," Genesis murmured to Gideon as they were greeted by the Steward and shown to the Athenaeum. Gideon grunted and nodded in response still trying to get a read on what was going on. Nothing he knew about would require this level of table involvement at the moment unless they had uncovered another conspiracy. All eight of the remaining current table were present and looking as serious as Xavier and Dominic did.

"Welcome gentlemen, if you would take your seats, we'll get on with this," Anthony, the chair and head of their family said and waited for a beat as several watchmen used as personal security for the chair and his immediate family filed into the room before shutting the door. A feeling of unease settled further over Gideon, and he looked at his father's unusually dour expression before giving Genesis a look that expressed his apprehension.

"You don't think I have enough stress in my life at the moment without all this cloak and dagger bullshit?" Genesis asked into the silence, unable to help himself. He fell silent again at a raised eyebrow from Anthony and a stern look from his father. He wasn't usually disrespectful in any way, but the atmosphere around this meeting was killing him.

"You're not the only one caught in the middle of a stressful situation in their personal life," Ambrose spoke up, sharply rebuking Genesis before anyone else could. Having passed on most of his family medical practice to Hector now, Ambrose rarely spoke at family meetings and it surprised the younger men into silence. "Stop being such a self-centred little prick and realise there are bigger things than your problems or those of your curse-breaker going on in this family."

"Sorry," Genesis said contritely taken aback by his Uncle's words and shook his head. "It's been all-consuming lately."

"You have a right to be consumed," Dom said gently looking up at his uncle and shaking his head slightly. "Part of the reason for this meeting is because of the AFP's reaction to both Olivia's statement and the demands of her sister, Marcella. Claudio is best to speak to that issue though," Dom fell silent as he indicated his uncle who turned to address the gathered men.

"The AFP has almost concluded their investigation into Olivia's story, and just as we found, there is little to no evidence to back up any of her claims. There is no evidence of the murder on the docks around the time she claims. There is no asset or holdings called Hermione's, and the man Jay denies its existence or having met Olivia more than once or twice while in Royce's office. The girl April has disappeared entirely. The only time she is known to have surfaced was when she tried on one single occasion to see Olivia in the hospital," he explained. "Without any evidence at all to corroborate her story or timeline of events, it would appear she has perjured herself, and there is a small faction within the AFP who are pushing for her arrest."

"Why the hell am I here then?! I left her alone for this meeting!" Genesis exploded out of his chair and turned toward the door seeing that the watchmen were blocking his way as if expecting this reaction from him.

"Sit down and listen!" Armando ordered with a roar. "This is exactly the reason you are here. So you don't scare the poor girl and put her in more danger by running off without any idea what to do or where to go."

Gideon knew why he was here now, and he stood with Genesis not forcing a decision one way or another, just letting him know he stood with him no matter what he decided to do. Even in the face of their father's roar and harsh words. He smiled as Noah stood impassively at Genesis' other side. Genesis needed to know he wasn't alone in this and they would help him protect Olivia regardless of the cost. There were long silent minutes as Genesis struggled with his anger and fears, but eventually, he and his brothers took their seats again.

"If you're finished with your tantrum," Claudio scowled at the brothers. "I did not say that we don't believe her, just that we have failed to find any evidence thus far. The Tatar are going to help and also believe Olivia's recount of events. They also believe that the sister, Marcella, might be the key to finding out more. She seems to have her own agenda and asked questions we hadn't considered. Rather than discouraging her from pursuing Olivia's interests in the estate of Remington Royce and the wedding certificate that she claims to know nothing about despite her signature on it, we feel it will serve our needs better if you allow Marcella Gambaro more freedom to explore this avenue."

"I don't think you realise what you are asking. Marcella is like a bulldozer and has no respect for the authority of the Table or the Tatar in this matter," Noah spluttered. "She is barely civil to the men of the AFP!"

"Be that as it may be, it still seems like our best chance to discover something missed in the first sweep and subsequent cleanup. The AFP at least acknowledge Olivia had a boat that they haven't been able to locate. The evidence is clear on that, so there is cause to throw aspersions on what else they might have missed in their investigations. The fact that all evidence gathered from the estate is now being sifted through by the best forensic accountants and scientists they have at their disposal is making some agents very uncomfortable which is why some of those men are calling for Olivia's arrest," Claudio explained further. "Our contacts, like us, believe the Suebi have sympathisers within the AFP just as we have men who work with us on these cases."

"Our contacts have assured me no warrant has been issued, nor is there a hearing to discuss one scheduled at the moment. So, we have time on our side for once," Anthony added to the conversation. "Dominic's work with the Tatar is more important than ever if we wish to find out who the remaining Suebi are, where they are and what they are hiding. It would seem Olivia is a key part of this hidden agenda and the sooner we get to the truth of it all, the safer she will be."

"I agree. What you do now is important, Dominic. More important than your reasons for not doing what needs to be done," Ambrose said.

"Enough of this!" Claudio raised his voice angrily. "It is obvious that there is something to be said about your health Dominic. Now I can see the concern in Ambrose's words, and you can guarantee it is only a matter of time before I find out and tell everyone anyway, so you may as well speak," Claudio narrowed his eyes on his nephew. "Ambrose may abide by a code of doctor-patient confidentiality, but I don't."

"I'm sick. I need some treatment. I'm stepping down in favour of Noah, who has more talent than I do anyway and has already forged relationships with the Tatar. He will negotiate with his father and Isaac around his other role, but he assures me they can balance it out," Dom skimmed over the part about being sick and needing treatment as quickly as possible without looking at his fathers, hoping they would concentrate on Noah and his newly discovered skill set. His hope was futile however as anxiety and a simmering rage that they had not been informed immediately took over the leaders of the table.

Armando caught Noah's eye and nodded, his obvious pride showing in his face as he made sense of the conversation he had with Noah the day he had come into the facility. He wondered briefly how the rest of Xavier's brothers would take the news of a cousin stepping up into the Oracle position before turning back to the conversation about Dominic's illness. A brain tumour... Biopsy... Possible cancer... Fuck! This was beyond just being sick; this was life and death. Armando's anxiety rose with the rest of his brothers. He glanced at his sons again and prayed something like this would never affect them.

*****

Marcella knew she had a tail within minutes of leaving the clinic. They obviously thought her stupid or oblivious to the stupidity of table men if they thought she wouldn't check. She may not have grown up with watchmen watching her every move, but she had enough people willing to tell her parents what she was doing and who with that she had become good at evasion. She'd honed those skills, including investigation, as she got her law degree and began to practise. You have to know your opponent intimately if you ever want a chance of winning.

She sat at a red light considering her options. She knew that if she purposefully lost them this time the net would tighten around her next time. Did it matter if they followed her today? She was only going to the marina to talk to Vinnie, the sleazy marina manager she planned to threaten until he told her the truth about Olivia's boat and maybe the murder Olivia witnessed, if he had truly known about it as Remington had told Olivia he had. If the boat had been impounded there would have been at least a trace of it in the paperwork at the police impound yard, which there wasn't. That meant something must have happened to it here, that it was taken from here or hidden here. Even if it had been scuttled or torn apart for spare pieces at least Olivia would have answers.

The boat certainly wasn't new information, so she decided to let the man tail her for the moment. If there was more information, she didn't have to act on it today. It occurred to her briefly that the tail could be her father's inference. She wouldn't put it beyond him to send someone to watch her. To see if she was telling the truth about dating a Zenati man, a tabled man. She doubted it though. He barely gave his disappointment of a daughter a second thought, preferring to put all his pride and energy towards the oldest of the sisters who was living the life of a good table woman, married to a Farnese man and pregnant with her third child.

Marcella rolled her eyes and shook her head. Her older sister, Jessa, was happy. Marcella could acknowledge that much. She was happy to be away from their family more than anything, or at least that's how it was in the beginning, but on the few occasions she had seen her sister, she could see how happy and content she really was in her new life. It was hard to begrudge her that happiness. Still, being a prize broodmare for any of the Twelve Tables men was not something Marcella ever aspired to. She determined to get Olivia everything she possibly could from Royce's estate, and then she would go home and pick up the remnants of the life she had chosen for herself. At least the life she had chosen before she had found her sister alive.

Marcella pulled up at the marina manager's office and stepped from the car. She had asked Olivia some delving questions to get a good picture of the man before coming here today. She'd been planning this for days, and as soon as she had the opportunity to escape from the constant presence of Noah or Gideon who seemed to be there every time she turned around lately, she had put her plan in motion. She glanced at the reflection in the office window, seeing the dark car parked a reasonable distance away but no doors opened. She couldn't make out the men inside watching her, but she knew they wore the black of the watchmen.

It was only when she had plans with Vivienne or Olivia that Noah and his brothers seemed to disappear to take care of their own business, leaving the watchers who no doubt reported back to them. She sighed and wondered how long she had before Noah and or Gideon showed up to ruin her plans yet again. The watchers she could deal with if she had no choice. They didn't interfere or try to take over once she was on the trail of a snippet of information about the missing items, people or places that her sister spoke about in her deposition. Noah may be able to wave it off, but she had been around enough rich men trying to hide their affairs and assets from angry wives hellbent on divorce with a side serving of revenge that she knew the AFP would be doubting Olivia's story and asking if she was poised to take over the Suebi herself. Especially after finding the wedding certificate signed and officially lodged after the ceremony was interrupted.

Marcella believed her sister, however, and she was determined to protect Olivia and see that she got everything she deserved from the assets of Remington Royce's estate. This was the first step in her overall plan. When in doubt go back to the beginning and follow the same path. She opened the door and stepped into the luxurious office. It was obviously styled to impress the luxury yacht owners whose large boats seemed to take up most of the marina. She was beginning to question what Olivia had told her about the manager until he appeared from a door in the back area.

She could imagine that the man had once been very handsome, a sun-bronzed sailor who would have been very popular with the bored housewives and rich bimbos that frequented the yachting set. Now, however, his tan was starting to show the damage of too much sun, his face was creased and weather-worn, and he had a small but obvious paunch from the life of excess he had obviously led. He may once have been a popular guest amongst the rich and famous that used this marina, but now he was probably nothing more than staff, someone they paid to protect their big boy's toys. The man took her in at a glance his eyes roaming over her body with a leer before speaking.

xelliebabex
xelliebabex
5,532 Followers