The Ugly Duckling

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

A few days later, he got a request from Alice to come over on a Saturday morning so she could use the Internet connection. Of course when she arrived at the door, his mother just had to come and inspect her, no doubt thinking she was a new love interest. Christopher could tell by the surprised look on his mother's face that Alice was not at all what she expected in terms of appearance. But his mother was nothing if not a nice person, so she chatted with Alice in a friendly way before offering coffee or hot chocolate, and toasted bagels, to the two of them.

When they had their food and drinks, they retreated upstairs to Christopher's room. At his suggestion, Alice set herself up at his desk so she could work. Christopher had just barely got up in time to greet Alice, so he excused himself so that he could shower and shave. After dressing in the bathroom, he returned to his room to get the skin cleanser he used to keep his face clear of pimples.

"What's that?" Alice asked shyly as he carefully scrubbed his face with one of the disposable pads.

"Oh, this stuff ... it's great for preventing zits, I use it all the time. When I was fifteen I was a mess, so my doctor suggested I start using this ... you don't need a prescription, although it is a bit expensive ... but worth every penny!"

"That's for sure what I need," Alice said with a grimace, "how much is it?"

"About $60 for a package of 100 of these things," he answered, waving the used cleansing pad in the air, "and a tube of stuff for a breakout ... plus the taxes."

"Wow ... you weren't kidding when you said expensive," Alice said, looking discouraged, "I just can't seem to get my face cleared up."

"Tell you what," Christopher replied, opening his top drawer, and withdrawing an unopened package, and a brand new tube of the medication, "take these, and try it for yourself."

"But it's too much money," Alice protested, "and you'll have to ask your parents for more."

"No I won't ... I get a monthly allowance from my dad for clothes and things like this, plus I have my summer job money ... I'll just buy some."

"Are you sure?" Alice asked in a hesitant tone as he handed her the things.

"Positive ... look at all the help you gave me with the history essay ... think of it as a reward."

"I really shouldn't."

"Oh yes you should," Christopher said firmly, pressing the tube and package into her hands, and then turning away to prevent further protests.

"I'm going to go downstairs to look at the Saturday sports section of the paper while you work," he added, "c'mon down when you're finished."

With this, Christopher collected their dirty dishes and left Alice to her computer.

When he got downstairs, he went into the kitchen to put the dishes in the dishwasher. His mother was there cleaning up from breakfast.

"New girlfriend?" she asked cautiously.

"No, just a friend, that's it. She's not much to look at, but she's very smart, and fun to talk to!"

"Poor girl," his mother clucked sympathetically, "those braces are hideous, and the glasses aren't much better. She needs to do something for her blemishes ... there's no reason for a girl to have to go around like that these days."

"Her family doesn't have any money ... she has to work after school to help pay bills at home ... her father died when she was five."

"Oh dear ... Christopher you should help her a little ... but don't be obvious about it."

"I already have mom, I gave her my old laptop, and just now I made her take some of my acne stuff to try out."

"That's good, but don't go too far, otherwise you might hurt her feelings."

* * *

Christopher and Alice had agreed that Alice would come over again on Sunday afternoon to finish up her work, since Christopher would be watching football on television anyway. When she arrived and rang the bell, Christopher's mother answered the door. As he came downstairs to the front hall, he overheard Alice complementing his mother on the house. A short three way conversation ensued which ended with his mother congratulating Alice on her university plans. Alice had explained that she was trying for a scholarship, but if she didn't get it, she was more than prepared to get student loans.

After settling Alice in his room, he came back down to the den and switched on the television. By the time the second quarter was over, Alice was finished, and Christopher offered her a soft drink before she went home. As they sat in the den with their drinks, talking, they were once again joined by his mother, who interrupted a lively conversation about music.

"I'm not trying to pry, but does your mother mind you coming over here Alice?" she asked.

"She says it's OK as long as you or his dad are here ... she's not too keen on it just being the two of us. I've tried telling her that we're just friends, but I don't think she believes me," Alice said, giving Christopher a smile, which was followed by a nervous giggle.

"Being a mother, I completely understand her position," Christopher's mother laughed, "but you are 18, so she better get used to you being alone with boys. Anyway I'll leave you two here ... all alone ... I have to go to the store. Bye Alice."

Later that evening, he was helping his mother clear off the table after dinner, when she brought the subject of Alice up again.

"You know Christopher ... I wouldn't be surprised if Alice is looking at you as more than a friend."

"How so?"

"Well I've only seen her twice, but there's a certain something when she looks at you that's more than friendship."

"You're just imagining things," Christopher protested, colouring.

"I don't think so ... and I'm a women ... we can sense these things ... so be careful ... if you aren't interested in her as a girlfriend, make sure she knows that, or you'll break her heart."

"OK."

"By the way, who are you taking to the prom?"

"No one," Christopher answered, trying to hide his disappointment.

"Who is Alice going with?"

"I don't think she's going at all ... in fact I'd be surprised if she could afford a ticket."

"Maybe you should take Alice; after all it is her senior prom? But only if you make sure she knows where she stands. You could go together as friends ... if that's how you want it. It would be better than having her sit at home. And since you two seem to have a good time together, it might be fun for both of you!"

"I don't know," Christopher said, after considering this revolutionary proposal. Going to the prom with Alice ... what would his friends say?

"If Alice gets her skin cleared up," his mother said, giving him a knowing look, "and fixes her hair and puts on some makeup and a pretty dress, she might not be too bad to be seen with ... she does have some nice features, but you just don't notice them because the of the braces and glasses and acne. She certainly won't be the prom queen, mind you; but probably not a total embarrassment to a guy like you."

"I guess so," Christopher grudgingly admitted. His mother could see right through him!

* * *

Christopher spent the next week arguing with himself about the merits, and mostly demerits, of being seen with Alice at the prom. I mean sitting in the library, or walking home with her was one thing, but the prom ... people would think they were dating. Peter and Catherine would probably die laughing! And all the other girls would be in stylish dresses; who knows what Alice might have lurking in her closet, judging by the rest of her wardrobe? And she was clearly in no position to go out and buy something new to wear.

But his mother kept pestering him about it, and treating him like he was committing a crime against humanity by letting poor Alice wither away at home on prom night. Finally he just couldn't take it any more ...

"OK, OK, I'll ask her ... there are you happy?"

"When?"

"Tomorrow night. She's coming over to print out her book report."

* * *

"Alice."

"Yes."

The printer was busily clicking away in the background.

"Would you like to go to the prom with me ... as friends?"

A lengthy pause ... and then ...

"Thank you Christopher," Alice said in a small quiet voice, "that's the nicest thing you've ever done for me, and you have done a lot of very nice things. But I don't think it would be a good idea ... and I don't have anything that I could wear anyway."

There was another lengthy pause, until finally Alice spoke to him.

"I have to go to the washroom," she said, almost in a whisper, rising abruptly and leaving the room.

"I'll go get us a snack," he called after her, also getting up and heading down to the kitchen to prepare something. He was unsure how he felt about Alice's rejection, and he didn't want to speak to her again until he sorted out his own feelings. Part of him was disappointed, and part of him relieved.

He busied himself preparing some cheese and crackers, and pouring some soft drinks, when he heard his mother calling down to him.

"Christopher can you come upstairs please."

"In a minute mom," he replied; what did she want?

"Right now please!" came the next request, in a tone of voice that didn't seem to suggest there was any option.

"OK, coming."

Christopher bounded up the steps and discovered his mother in his room with Alice, who was sitting on his bed; she looked like she had been crying.

"I heard Alice crying in the washroom, what's going on?" his mother said, giving him a stern look.

"Nothing, I asked Alice to the prom, like we discussed, but she said no ... that's all ... she wasn't angry with me ... were you?" Christopher asked Alice in a hesitant way.

"No," Alice whispered, putting her face in her hands, and very much looking like she was going to start crying again.

"What's the matter dear," Christopher's mother said, sitting on the bed beside her, and putting a sympathetic arm around her.

"I ... I ... would ... like ... to go ... to the prom," Alice whispered in a low strangled voice, "but I don't have anything to wear ... and just look at me ... I'm a mess ... and the other kids would just laugh at Christopher ... and ... and he's been so nice to me ... I just hate my life ... I just hate it ... I just hate it ..."

With that Alice dissolved into tears, this time burying her head in his mother's shoulder as she sobbed uncontrollably.

"Christopher," his mother said as she comforted Alice, "why don't you go back downstairs and finish up whatever you were doing, I'd like to talk to Alice by myself for a few minutes."

This statement was also delivered in a fashion that did not suggest it was open to discussion, so Christopher did as he was told. As he finished up in the kitchen, he was partly confused and partly angry.

"If my mother hadn't pushed me into asking Alice, this never would have happened ... and now Alice is all upset."

He tried to distract himself by finishing up the snack tray, washing a few grapes, and snipping them into groups of three or four before scattering them around the edges in the way that his mother did when she prepared a cheese tray.

After what seemed like forever, he heard the sound of footsteps coming down the stairs. And then his mother and Alice entered the kitchen. Alice looked happier, although her eyes were still a little red from the crying.

"Alice has something to ask you, Christopher," his mother stated.

"Christopher," Alice said in a quiet voice, "if I got myself all fixed up ... would you take me to the prom?"

"Of course," Christopher answered, trying very hard to be as much of a gentleman as he could, "I would love to ... and I have an extra ticket, so you don't need to get one."

"Why don't you and Alice go on into the den and watch TV," his mother suggested diplomatically, "I need to speak to your father about something."

TV seemed like a good distraction, after the emotional scene in the bedroom. There wasn't much on, but Christopher found an old movie, "A Summer Place", and they watched it while making small talk during the commercials, keeping the subject of the prom completely in the background for the balance of the evening.

* * *

He didn't see Alice for the rest of the week; she was either working after school, or just not using the library as much. Remembering what had happened when he talked about the lovely Eleanor as his date, he decided to keep his plans a total secret until the night of the prom. Nor did he see Alice on Saturday, as she had left a note in his locker saying she had to work, but also asking if he could look up some reference material from the Internet and print out the pages for her, which he did. Sunday morning, he slept in late, and then showered and went down stairs to get breakfast. His father was in the den finishing his coffee, so Christopher joined him and they discussed the various football games that would be on TV that day and evening.

The doorbell rang, and his dad asked if he would mind answering it, apparently his mother was expecting someone. When he opened the door he got a surprise ... it was Alice!

"Hi," she said, looking about as excited as he had ever seen her. Behind the terrible glasses her eyes were positively sparkling.

Just then his mother swept into the foyer.

"All set?" she asked Alice.

"Oh yes," Alice replied with a happy look.

"Where are you going?" Christopher asked, initially perplexed.

"None of your business," his mother said loftily, "we're doing girl stuff ... you wouldn't be interested."

Alice started to laugh.

"See you later," his mother said in a highhanded fashion.

With that the two of them swept out the door leaving a suspicious Christopher standing in the hall. He was pretty certain what was going on, but he decided to confront his father anyway.

"Mom's buying Alice a prom dress, isn't she?"

"Of course ... do you think your mother is going to let you go to the prom with your new girlfriend looking like a sack of potatoes?"

"She's not my girlfriend ... we're just friends!"

"Fine have it your way ... but if you must know, she called Alice's mother and asked if it would be alright to do this so Alice could go with you. Of course Alice's mom was a bit insulted at first, but your mother got around her, you know how insistent she can be, and it's all agreed, we're treating Alice to prom clothes."

"But that's going to be a lot of money!"

"I know, but look at it this way ... we never had a daughter, just you ... not that I'm complaining ... so everyone is happy ... your mom gets to go prom dress shopping, just like she had a daughter of her own, and you get to have a date with Alice wearing something nice. Your mother is pretty clever, she told Alice's mom that the dress could be altered and used again for Alice's sister in a couple of years ... that seemed to close the deal."

"But wouldn't Alice's mom want to come along shopping too?"

"She was invited, but made an excuse ... maybe she thought she'd be nervous around Linda ... your mom I mean."

"Maybe we could get her some better glasses," Christopher's father said with a wink, "that way your ... ahem ... friend ... would look a little better."

With that, and a chuckle, he picked up his coffee mug and left the room.

While Christopher wasn't exactly thrilled about the way his parents were interfering in his social life, he had to admit to himself that it was probably for the best. His mother had excellent taste, and his father had money ... a perfect combination, given the circumstances. He might not have the most beautiful date, but he probably would have one of the best dressed ones!

Somehow, the prospect of escorting Alice to the prom no longer seemed quite so daunting ... in fact he was starting to look forward to it.

Later that afternoon two very excited females returned home, burdened with bags and packages.

"Alice is going to show your father what we chose," his mother explained.

When he asked if he could see as well, his mother just blew him off.

"It's like a wedding dress," she said with a laugh, "bad luck if you get to look at it before the big event ... but it's absolutely lovely on her. God I wish I was young again and could wear something like that ... you're going to just about faint!"

"And we got a few other things," she continued, turning towards his father, "like you and I discussed. There was a sale on ... so it wasn't too bad, except for the dress. Make sure you're sitting down when you open the credit card bill!"

His father just grinned and waved a hand at her, he obviously wasn't too worried.

After Alice modelled for his father, they sat in the kitchen and had a snack. He had never seen Alice quite so happy.

"Your mom bought me special underwear as well," Alice said a little shyly, as she helped herself to the potato chips, "because the dress is strapless and I don't own a strapless bra ... and I also got a matching pair of bikini panties," she added with a nervous giggle, "I actually blushed when I tried them on!"

"I never knew that nice things could make you feel so sexy," she continued, as she coloured a little and looked downwards, "I'm very timid about my body, but when I put those on in the change room, it was like I was a different person."

"Nice clothes make you feel good about yourself," Christopher said diplomatically, taking a handful of the chips for himself.

"Sometime when I'm feeling extra brave," she said in a whisper, while giving him an engaging smile, "I'm going to let you see me in them."

Now this was a new situation! Christopher hadn't really ever thought about Alice in that way until now. Even though she was a girl, and did have the requisite curves, somehow he never really considered her as an object of desire. But the image of her in skimpy underwear suddenly jumped into his psyche, and once there, had no intention of leaving.

Later on, he drove Alice, and all her purchases, home.

"By the way," Alice said, "I borrowed the book that movie was based on; it's interesting."

"Which movie?"

"You know," Alice answered, "'A Summer Place'"

"Oh," Christopher said, the mystery now cleared up.

"See you at school," Alice said as she got out of the car, "and next week, I'll have a surprise for you."

"Like what?'

"Wait and see!"

* * *

The surprise must have been of some importance, because Christopher had been invited over to Alice's house for dinner ... on a school night! The prom was only a week and a few days away, and the entire senior class was getting excited. In fact it was about all anyone was talking about!

All of his friends still assumed that he was going stag, and Peter and Catherine seemed to feel it was their duty to give him a "pep talk". He listened to their advice patiently, still wondering what their reaction to Alice as his date would be.

Christopher had never had anything but a few very short conversations with Alice's mother, but this evening was different.

"Alice wasn't at school today, is she OK?" he asked.

"She's fine ... she'll be down in a minute," she said as they walked into the living room, "are you allowed to drink wine?"

Christopher nodded in the affirmative; he had brought a bottle as a hostess gift.

"You're not just saying that, are you?"

"No, once I was sixteen, my parents let me have a glass on special occasions."

"I made Alice wait until she was eighteen ... not that we have wine very often in this house ... but sometimes when we go to the relatives for a dinner we get to have some."

Alice's mother got up and retrieved a corkscrew, and three wineglasses, from the adjoining dining room, and Christopher drew the cork from the bottle, pouring some in each of them.

After tasting the wine, she said, "That's very good."

"Thanks, my father chose it ... he knows quite a lot about wine."

"Before my husband died we used to have a nice bottle for dinner on weekends, or on special occasions ... and this is certainly one of those."