The Usual Suspects Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Sounds like a good idea." said J.P. Goldman. "Commander Troy is overloaded as it is."

"No doubt about that." said Thomas P. Cook. "He's too busy having his cops march in like the Gestapo at a high school football game."

"To protect black kids' lives." replied Reginald B.F. Lewis indignantly. "That was a lynch mob about to happen. Like the 1950s."

"You're full of crap." said Kelly Carnes. "There was no danger to anyone there. It was the Iron Crowbar marching his troops in like Aryan Nations that was the menace!" Reginald B.F. Lewis was sitting next to her, and gave her an ugly look.

"People, please!" the Mayor all but shouted. "I was at the game, and the Commander did the right thing to keep order.

"Actually," said Thomas P. Cook. "This sounds like an excellent opportunity to improve the Police Force and also to do the right thing and align ourselves with the law, not to mention stop a lawsuit that we surely are going to lose. We can elevate the leader of this department to a Command-level role, maybe call it 'Assistant Chief'... and restore Robert Brownlee to his rightful place in the Police Department."

"That is an excellent idea, Mr. Cook." Kelly Carnes said, smiling brightly. "I propose we do just that---"

"Cool your jets, Ms. Carnes. We're not at the point of amendments yet." said the Mayor. "But what do the rest of you think of the idea? It might be a good way to clean up a lot of legal problems as well as friction between groups within the Public Safety Department."

"I hope no one seriously thinks that idiot Brownlee could fill that Operations role in any capacity at all." said Dagmar Schoen.

"I'm more interested in his role in being an obstacle to the unchecked ambition of the Iron Crowbar." snarled Kelly Carnes. "That man has gotten people killed, the First Baptist Church and the Community Center in ruins after being bombed, one of our Council Members dead after being falsely accused of being a crime lord---"

*TAP* *TAP* *TAP* *TAP*

The Mayor was using his gavel with increasing zeal. "Ms. Carnes," he said, "we all know that Pastor Westboro committed some unspeakable crimes, and that he is the one who brought humiliation to this County. Now let's please confine ourselves to the discussion of this plan."

"There is no way Brownlee can go back to the Police Force." said John Colby. "You just cannot force a square peg into a round hole like that. It's not going to happen."

"It will happen if we say it happens." snarled Thomas P. Cook. "The Iron Crowbar is not above the law."

"For God's sake!" shouted Ian McGhillie. He didn't speak often, and this outburst had everyone's attention. "I am so sick of this! This is not about the Iron Crowbar, Mr. Cook. It is about the Police Force. My son is an Officer in that Police Force. Why do you continue to try to push against the inevitable truth that NO Police Officer wants Brownlee back! If you try to force it, there are nearly two hundred officers ready to kill Brownlee... yes, I said kill him!... rather than see him back soiling the good name and uniform of the TCPD!"

Thomas P. Cook was in shock at what McGhillie had said. "Are you... are you seriously suggesting they would kill him?" Cook asked.

"I'm sure it'll look like a suicide." said Dagmar Schoen.

"Like Pastor Westboro?" said Kelly Carnes, attacking Dagmar.

"Westboro is dead, isn't he, Mrs. Carnes." retorted Schoen.

*TAP* *TAP* *TAP* *TAP*

"I cannot believe how quickly these meetings dissolve into this childish acrimony." said the Mayor. "Now come on, people..."

They began seriously hashing the proposal. The Carnes Amendment to create a position for Brownlee was shot down, 2-7. The measure, almost verbatim what had been written by Commander Troy, though they didn't know that, was passed, 5-4, with Reginald B.F. Lewis strongly objecting to reducing the number of Precincts.

"So..." asked the Mayor, "who is going to be recommended for this new post? Captain Ross?"

"No." said John Colby. "I'll let the man tell you himself." He sent a cellphone text, and a moment later the Intendent, Adele Peabody, opened the door to admit Chief Emeritus Griswold, followed by Your Iron Crowbar. I was wearing my Police jacket with ribbons, and I noticed the eyes going to the ribbon on top: the Medal of Valor with Oak Leaf Cluster.

"So, Commander," said Jack Colby, before I could even sit down in one of the chairs against the wall, "who do you recommend as your new Captain of Operations?"

"Lieutenant Teresa Croyle." I said with alacrity. "She's almost Captain's age now, so a waiver won't be hard to do. And she's already leading the SWAT Teams as well as Vice."

"I cannot believe what I am hearing." snarled Kelly Carnes, giving me an ugly look. "Are you seriously recommending the Police Officer that beat up a man at a drunk driving checkpoint, humiliating our Police Department and getting us sued?"

"Why, no." I replied calmly. "I am recommending the first Police Officer in many years to be awarded the Distinguished Police Cross." I noticed several Council members smile at that reply, utterly vanquishing Carnes.

"And I suppose you'll put your own reputation, for what that's worth, on the line in this recommendation, Commander Troy?" sneered Thomas P. Cook.

"It won't be the first time, now will it, Mr. Cook?" I replied, staring daggers at Cook. "But to answer your question: you better believe I'll stand with Lt. Croyle. I have full faith and confidence in her abilities to get the job done and handle this assignment."

"What is your opinion of this, Chief Griswold?" asked Reginald B.F. Lewis.

The old Chief stood up and said "It always does my heart good to see a raw but promising Police Officer develop into his or her full potential. I have had the pleasure of watching the Iron Crowbar grow into his greatness, and likewise I have had the privilege of seeing Lieutenant Croyle overcome her mistakes and become an outstanding Police Officer. Like a sword of the finest steel, Lieutenant Croyle has been forged in the fire."

Those last words caused me to turn and look at the Chief, and I saw the twinkle in his eye as he looked back at me. Yeah, he knows, I thought to myself. He knows.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Wow." I said as Chief Griswold sat at the 'Command table' at the Cop Bar and drank beers after the Council meeting was over. "7-2 for Teresa. I expected Malinda Adams to approve, but Reginald B.F. Lewis was a bit of a surprise."

"I've heard that he's become more skeptical of Cook and Carnes, especially in recent weeks and months." said Griswold. "And after that disaster with Booker T. Washington High and their coach, and that game that almost became a riot until you stepped in, I think he's seeing them for what they truly are."

"Yes sir, I think you're right." I said. "Not so good on Precincts, though." Reginald B.F. Lewis drew a much harder line at reducing even one Precinct. We still had a 5-4 majority, but he had not budged on that.

"Best of all," I said "we won't be leasing that space for Precinct 1 from Thomas Cook. He looked sick to his stomach as everyone left."

"Heh heh heh." chuckled Griswold. "That is the best part of this, isn't it?"

"Yes sir, it is." I said. "It really makes me sick watching these politicians use their political offices to enrich themselves, usually illegally, and at the expense of the people they're supposed to be representing and serving."

"I hear you." said the Chief. "I also heard you when you stood up for Ms. Croyle. I had to do that for you a few times with those lousy politicians, and I was always proud to do it... because I knew you were doing the right thing, just as Teresa will do."

The Chief went on, his voice getting emotional as he said: "When I retired, I knew that you would take care of the Force, and its people. And now they're a better Police Force because of you, and this Town is a lot cleaner and free of filth after you took out Westboro. I can't tell you how proud I am of you, Don. I know your mom is proud of you, and your dad would be too. And you're what any good man would be proud to have as a son... me included."

The old Chief's words struck me hard. "Thanks, Chief. And it's knowing that it's your Police Force that I'm leading that helps me keep things on the right track. I'd rather have died in that helicopter or under Walker's torture than let you down."

After a pause, I said "Well, we better go home before I get all mushy." The Chief was already past that stage...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Thomas P. Cook came into his home at 11:30pm. He was tired, both mentally and physically. His enemies on the Council were running roughshod over him and Kelly Carnes after the death of Raymond Westboro, and Commander Troy was imposing his will and consolidating his power in the Police Force.

"Hello, Mr. Cook." said his maid Consuela, a very pretty Latina girl who was in this country illegally. "Would you like a drink, or some late supper?"

Cook often satiated his lust by taking her to bed and fucking her. She was wearing high heels that shaped her legs, and Cook was growing horny.

"Hello, Consuela." Cook said. "No, we'll be going to bed, soon. You can go and get ready, and I'll make sure all the doors are locked.

After making a tour of the house, Cook began going upstairs when he heard Consuela call out "Mr. Cook, did you leave a light on in your office house?"

A chill rushed through Cook and he ran upstairs. Looking out the window where she was, he could see that a light was on in the office... and he had not left it on.

"Let's call the Police." Cook said. "You be prepared to hide until the Police are gone." He got his cellphone and called the police.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The TCPD cruisers rushed up to the residence and over to the side. Cook came out of the house.

"I saw four people, all in black." he said. "They took off for the back fence when you drove up."

"Okay, guys," said Sergeant Irwin to his Officers. "Two of you check out the side house here. You guys, check out the backyard, but be careful. Mr. Cook, are there any lights out back you can turn on?"

"Sure." said Cook. He went inside to turn on the lights, and the backyard was brightly lit up by them.

"I called in for other Patrol cruisers to search the neighborhood." said Irwin.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"There are a few prints, sir." said Irwin, pointing them out to me. "But they got away. No sign of anyone from our neighborhood patrols. Guardhouse didn't get any alarms, so we don't know where they crossed the wall, if anywhere."

"All right." I said. "Good work. Tell your people, too."

The Wargrave Estate, now owned by Cook, was in the walled-off Heritage Cloisters subdivision. It was large, encompassing a golf course, and I did not have hopes of catching anyone.

"Sergeant Irwin!" I called out. He rushed up. "Put in a call to Precinct 3. Have another set of guys, wearing armor, check out the Hamilton Myers estate. Clear it as if there are hostiles there, and tell me what they ultimately find."

"Yes sir." said Irwin. He left as Cindy and Thomas Cook came up.

"Looks like you were right, Commander." said Cook. I know it pained him to say that. "I made sure to lock the doors of the house, but it looks like it was my office they wanted to search." There had been some damage in the little office building, but not too much before the Police had arrived."

"Yes." I said. "And they very well might come back, so stay alert. We're going to increase patrols around here, as well."

"What do they want?" asked Cook.

"I don't know yet." I said.

"You knew enough to warn me to take precautions." said Cook skeptically.

"Yes, I did know that." I replied. "We developed some leads that someone might think Wargrave hid something on the property back when he was alive. Okay, Captain, let's go. Mr. Cook, keep taking those precautions. I'm also letting the guardhouse know to be on hot watch, as well."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

As Cindy and I got into my SUV, she asked "And what are those leads that 'we' developed?"

"The Westboro burglary." I said.

"And you sent the team to the Myers estate because you think the same thing will happen there?"

"No." I said. "I think the perps might have gone there to hide after they ran away from here. Time will tell on that. Okay, we'll continue this tomorrow morning. Unlike you, I need beauty sleep."

"Aw, you're a sweetie." Cindy said. "Of course, I'd rather hear Callie tell me that."

"Remember the Admonition, my friend." I replied. That would be the Admonition to not mistake a great piece of ass for love.

Nothing more was said as we drove out of the Cloisters and back to Town...

To be continued.