The Warmest Winter, Day 10

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Both she and Mike had closed their eyes again. When Jenny opened them again, Mike was giving her a look she couldn't really identify.

"What?" she asked a little sheepishly. Mike reached up and got the hair out of her eyes, tucking it behind an ear.

"You've never been more beautiful, and that's a competitive category."

Without knowing exactly why, Jenny felt herself blush.

"We should shower," Mike continued.

"Way to kill the mood, there, tiger."

"You misunderstand.Weshould shower. All the cleanup today, we should conserve water a bit."

It was a bogus line. They both knew it was a bogus line. And they both knew that they both knew. But it was fun, and so Jenny quickly got off of Mike and darted to the shower stall.

"You coming?"

The shower ended up conserving exactly nothing. Any time their lips were remotely close, they shared a deep, passionate kiss. And in the cramped space of the shower stall, that was pretty often.

*****

After they both re-clothed, they went downstairs to share mugs of cocoa by a fire until Veronica and Cassie returned.

"You know, there's still one thing I am a little concerned about," Mike said after a comfortable silence.

"What's that?"

"Last night was not the most hygienic thing in the world. You know, me going from one of you to another without protection."

"Oh, don't worry about that. We've been friends for so long and borrowed one another's clothes so often we probably have identical germs anyway. Shoot, more than once we all got colds so close together we still don't know who catches them first. If it makes you feel better, we'll keep an eye on it, and see a doc if a UTI or somesuch pops up."

"It does actually. I mean, you ladies take care of yourselves pretty well, so I figured. But it's still nice to hear the words."

"And don't forget, Mike, you are taking care of us, too. We haven't forgotten. This is your house, your beds, your food, your fireplace, hell it's your friggin' marshmallows in my cocoa."

"You sound a bit surprised to be in such a situation."

"... Yeah. I guess I am."

"Your ex?"

"Yeah." Jenny curled her feet up into the chair she was sitting in. Mike was stretched out on the couch.

"Can you talk about it?"

"I guess. His name was Lewis. Lewis and I met in college, like you and your ex. He seemed okay at first, otherwise I would've called it off early. But over time, he began to get verbally abusive. Nothing direct, and certainly not physical."

"Good. I'd have to kill him."

"Right, well, after it started, I thought I could maybe steer him back. You know, help him stop."

Mike put one hand over his open mouth and set his mug down. His eyes were wide.

"No. Tell me... tell you didn't..."

"Didn't what?"

"You thought you could 'fix' him."

Jenny hung her head. Tears began to form around the edges of her eyes. The fire was gone.

"I couldn't. He just got worse. Thebitchof it all was, heknew. He knew I was trying to help him, and he would laugh at me for failing. A month before graduation, I had a few things at his place, so I got his roommate to let me in while Lewis was in class. I got my stuff, and left a note. Here's the irony: his major? Communications."

"Huh."

"I failed, Mike. I failed him and I nearly screwed up just as badly with you."

"Jennifer Eliska Azevedo." Mike used her full name, and got her full attention. "You lack experience, not ability. Andnobodyis free of failure. This reminds me of aHouseepisode. You ever watch that show?"

"No."

"Okay, so the doc, House, has to give a day-long seminar lecture thing to a bunch of med students. He gives them a case, and lets them diagnose as they see fit. It's his own case, why he has to use a cane, but he doesn't tell them that. He takes them through everything, and they reach the same conclusion his doctors did. And then they see it's his case, and that they were obviously wrong. His point was, theywillmake a bad call. Theywillmake a decision that kills someone. And he tells them that if they can't accept that, they should not be doctors."

Jenny's fire returned. "Are you telling me to quit?"

"Oh, hell no. I'm just telling you to accept the outcome, as long as you did what you could. Lewis? An idiot. For not appreciating you,andfor not wanting to change."

"Thanks."

They returned to a pensive silence until they heard tires in the driveway.

"We're back!" Veronica called as she walked in the door, her arms full of grocery bags.

"We're right here; we know," said Mike, getting up.

"Stan says Hi," said Cassie, behind with just as many groceries. Once the car was unloaded into the kitchen, Mike said, "I'll leave you to it. Don't want to spoil the chef's surprises."

"Oh, no you don't," said Cassie, "You're helping. Get that cute butt of yours back in here."

Mike looked at Jenny, who shrugged.

"Well," she said, "Itisa cute butt."

He rolled his eyes, but went back in to help.

*****

After dinner, everyone parted ways for the evening. Veronica and Jenny went to their rooms, while Cassie stayed behind to plan the next meals. When she was done, she popped into the office to see Mike working.

"Do I need to have sex with you again?" she asked playfully.

"No, I just want to clear my head a bit," Mike answered. "I don't need dinner, I genuinely do want to do a little work, and I will get to bed at a reasonable time. Happy?"

"Yes and no," said Cassie, coming around the desk, "I'm looking forward to next time."

With a sweet kiss, Cassie turned to go upstairs.

"Good night," she said, swaying her ass as she climbed the steps.

"Good night," he called softly.

Mike let himself lose track of the time. He had set a timer, and what he was doing could be interrupted at any point. This came in handy at close to midnight. His cell phone rang.

"Hello?"

"Is this Mike Evans?"

"Who is calling?"

"I shouldn't wonder you don't recognize my voice. It's been a while."

"I repeat: Who are you?"

"This is Sam, Mike. Sam Harrington."