The Water Meter Reader

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
DG Hear
DG Hear
5,723 Followers

I'm sure she was smiling at me. I started my speech and mentioned all the things I said earlier in this story about my job and training. Then I let the audience have it with both barrels on some of the danger in our water supply.

Here's a brief resume of my speech and my slides that I talked about.

The Dangers Posed by Toxic Chemicals in Water

All of these chemicals (and more) have been found in water. While the amount of these chemicals in water is usually not enough to cause significant harm, the possibility of long-term effects still exists. Here are some of the negative health defects 12 caused by excess chemicals in the water:

In one study, children who were exposed to high levels of fluorides had lower than normal IQ's.

Alzheimer's disease and dementia may be caused by excessive amounts of fluorides.

According to New Jersey's Department of Health, male children who live in areas with fluoridated water experienced two to seven times more cases of bone cancer than other male children.

Toxic chemicals in water can cause birth defects and prenatal deaths.

Excess chemicals in the water have also been linked to problems with the immune system.

Fluorides

While some of these compounds have many positive traits, such as the ability to reduce tooth decay, they can also be quite toxic. A flouride compound (methylphosphonal difluoride) is used in the extremely toxic nerve agent saran gas. Of course we don't use that compound for water treatment, as it reacts with water to form a corrosive gas.

Chlorine

Chlorine is a chemical element that is essential to human life (table salt). Used to purify water. However, in anything other than trace amounts, it becomes a toxic gas that irritates the respiratory system. Used in World War I, military use was banned by the Geneva Convention of 1925.

Mercury

Exposure to mercury can cause tremors, psychotic reactions, and suicidal

tendencies.

Lead

This poisonous metal can damage the blood, brain, and disrupt nervous system communications.

Polyphenol BiChlorides (PCBs)

A class of organic compounds that cause skin, blood, and urine problems in

humans.

Arsenic

An element that has been used for centuries as a deadly poison.

Methyl tertiary-butyl ether (MtBE)

MtBE is a volatile, flammable, and colorless liquid that is used as an additive in gasoline. Pollutes drinking water with a foul taste, and has been classified as carcinogen in higher concentrations; banned from 2004 in numerous US States.

DCPA

DCPA is an herbicide used on strawberries, melons, and cucumbers. The concern is that DCPA may contain dioxin, a known carcinogen. More about dioxin later on.

Perchlorate

This is used as an oxidizer in rocket fuel and explosives. Also a treatment for hyperthyroidism, but has been classified as a contaminant in the U.S. since 2011.

Dioxin

An organic compound which is known to increase the likelihood of cancer.

Colloqually known as "Agent Orange", described in The Guardian (UK) as "perhaps the most toxic molecule ever synthesized by man". Used as a defoliant in Vietnam.

Hexachlorobenzene (HCB)

Commonly used as a pesticide, HCB can cause cancer and disrupt the endocrine system and interfere with enzyme activity.

DDT

A deadly chemical used as an insecticide. It has been linked to diabetes and

cancer. It was the subject of Rachel Carson's 1962 classic introduction to

environmentalism, "Silent Spring", about the destruction of bird's eggs by mother birds ingesting insect poisoned with DDT. Banned, but the banning increased both malaria (cannot be used to kill anophleles mosquitos) and bedbugs.

****

When I finished my speech I got more applause as I left the platform. I was proud of myself and the red haired girl smiled as she clapped for me. Even the older man with her applauded. I felt good.

There was a large buffet set up at the show. I figured I'd eat there. After getting my food I sat down at a large table by myself. A few minutes later the older man that was with the red haired woman asked if he could join me at my table.

I said 'yes' and a few seconds later the red haired women joined us. I stood up after she set her tray down. I heard that is what you're supposed to do when a lady joins you. It got me a smile from the man and the woman.

"Thank you," she said. "I'm Maggie O'Neill and this is my father Ned."

Her father! I had to say that made me much happier. It also explained the beautiful red hair. I reached out my hand to him. "Ken Nolan, pleased to meet you."

We all shook hands and began eating. Ned spoke, "Ken, that was a good speech you gave on the properties of water. I was quite impressed. Where did you learn so much about water?"

"Ever since I did a project in high school I was interested in what's in our drinking water. I work for the village near where I live as the water control specialist. Of course I read meters also." I wanted to make it sound like a more impressive job than it is.

"Are you in the water business somehow?" I asked.

"No, I'm in refuse and recycling. We go to the Earth Day shows to learn if there are any new regulations," said Ned.

"I've heard of O'Neill's Refuse; that's a pretty large company. Are you associated with them?"

"Dad's the owner of the company," Maggie said proudly.

"And do you work for them also?" I asked.

"No, I go to college and am a substitute teacher in elementary education. I'm hoping to get on full time when I finish college."

About that time Ned looked over at Maggie. "Honey, I have to go and meet Doreen. Will you be alright here by yourself?"

"Dad, I'm twenty-two and have been to Columbus a hundred times by my self. I'll see you sometime, keep in touch." She kissed her father and he told me it was nice meeting me. After he left Maggie and I talked.

"Mom and Dad are divorced; Doreen is his new wife, they live here in Columbus. Dad called me and asked me if I wanted to come to the Earth Day show with him. I'm glad I did."

"So, where are you from? Tell me a little about yourself. That is if you don't mind talking with me." I hoped she wanted to stay.

"I go to college in Mt. Vernon. I'm in my last year. I started going to college in Columbus but transferred after one semester. I live in a small town in Muskingum County. You've probably never heard of it."

"Try me, I know the state pretty well," I smiled as I said it.

"Frazeysburg, ever here of it?"

"Hear of it? I've go through it to go home. I like to stop by the Dairy Queen and get an ice cream cone. Then there's the Longaberger Basket Company just down the road. Need more proof?

"No I believe you. What town are you from?"

"Newcomerstown, it's about thirty miles east of Frazeysburg. We're almost neighbors."

"I live with my mom and go to school and teach as a substitute as much as possible. I try to make it to Columbus once a month to see my Dad."

"This might be way too forward but would you like to go out with me?"

"Where? When? I have a pretty full schedule."

"Today; we've seen the Earth Day exhibits and I thought we could go to Cosi and to the IMAX theatre. I love the big screen. I don't even care what's playing. They usually have three choices."

She was smiling at me again. "I've never done anything like this before. I hardly know you but I'm willing to go to the movies. I love the Imax theatre also."

I gathered up all my display cases and different water samples that I had with me and Maggie helped me put them in my car. "What should I do about my car?" asked Maggie.

"It's probably as safe here as anywhere. I'll bring you back here later to get it." So that's what we did. I wanted to use my car because it had bench seats and Maggie scooted over a little and sat next to me.

We talked on the way to the movie. She was so easy to talk to. I told her she was so beautiful and I was so happy she was going to the movies with me. I asked her if she was dating and she said there was no one in her life right now. I told her I wasn't dating either.

We shared a popcorn at the movies. She had told me she has been on a diet for a couple of years. I told her I weighed two hundred forty pounds and was known as the short fat guy at school. I explained that I played football and worked out in the weight room to lose weight.

I told her I kept working out after I graduated and that I did a lot of walking on my job; I got down to a hundred and eighty pounds and have stayed there.

She told me she was once over a hundred pounds overweight. Something happened in college and she decided to go on a diet; it was during her freshman year. She had lost over seventy-five pounds since. She still wanted to lose twenty-five more pounds. She was short at five foot two but so damn cute.

"I don't care if you lose more weight or not. I think you're beautiful just the way you are. I guess we have more in common than we even knew."

I asked her if she would like to stop by a lounge for a drink. I just didn't want her to go, I wanted to be with her.

She agreed and we did stop for a drink. I asked her about her past dating and she told me it didn't go so well. She actually had tears in her eyes. "Maggie, I'm sorry. Would you like to tell me about it? I've been through some bad situations too. You tell me yours and I'll tell you mine." I took her hands in mine.

She was staring at me. "Ken, do you believe in love at first sight?"

I thought about Kelly and I thought about Maggie. "Yes, I do but I think there is also infatuation. At times it might be hard to separate the two in the beginning."

"I want to tell you my story; I need to get it off my chest, I've never told it to anyone but for some strange reason I think you'll understand," she said.

I thought about joking about her chest, which was one nice set of boobs but I knew she was very serious. "You can tell me anything. I'm a good listener and I promise it won't go any further."

"God, I've never told anyone this, not my parents or even my best friends. I can't believe I'm going to tell you."

I didn't say anything else. This meant a lot to Maggie and I didn't want to lose her trust.

"I went to the University in Columbus to take courses in teaching. Needless to say being overweight I didn't have any dates. Then one day a senior named Brad came into the library and sat down and began talking to me. He was a hunk and on the football team and belonged to a cool fraternity.

"We talked for awhile and he asked me out. I was so happy that a good looking senior even knew me. He invited me to a private party the following Saturday. I was young and stupid, so I thought he really cared for me.

"At the party they gave he gave me drinks. I didn't want to tell them I never drank before. You know, a small town girl that never dated. I got drunk and he started kissing me. Then he was touching my breasts. I wasn't sure what to do. I was a virgin.

"He unbuttoned my blouse and undid my bra. I wanted him to stop but then everyone would laugh at me. I looked around and I saw other heavy girls too. They were having sex and then Brad pulled down my panties. I was both nervous and scared but I thought he cared for me.

"I wasn't on the pill and told him he needed to use a condom. He told me ok and showed the package to me. A minute later he pushed his thing it me, it really hurt. He laughed and pumped in me a couple of dozen times and came in me.

"I felt him come, and he didn't use the condom. I was horrified. His buddy came over and handed him some money. Apparently there was a bet on. Who could get a fat chick to sleep with them at the party. Brad won because I was a virgin.

"I jumped up and cried and called him every rotten name I could think of. He just laughed as I left the building totally humiliated. In classes I knew I was being laughed at behind my back. I was worried about getting pregnant. I was so happy when I got my next period. At the end of the semester I transferred to college in Mt. Vernon.

"Needless to say I'm a bit gun shy around men now. I've been on a couple of dates but I haven't had sex with anyone. I guess I feel men just want to use me. I started taking the pill after I had my period. I couldn't take that chance again.

"God I don't know why I told you my most hidden secret. I guess I just trust you."

"Maggie, the guy was a total asshole and should have his balls cut off." It made Maggie smile.

"I would never do anything to hurt you. I want you to know that. I know we just met today but I feel like I've known you for a long time. I know I have feelings for you, I don't understand it myself," I told her.

There was a small dance floor and I asked her to dance. I did tell her I wasn't very good but I figured I could hold her for a few minutes. She smiled as we got up and danced a couple of songs. I didn't hold her tight against me or anything like that. I didn't want to make her nervous. We sat down and ordered one more drink.

All of a sudden Maggie said, "Oh God! Oh no!" She looked like she had seen a ghost.

"Maggie! Are you all right? Did I do or say something to upset you?"

About that time a tall strapping man came over to our table. Maggie gave him a mean stare. "Well if it's not my old friend Maggie. I thought I saw you dancing. You sure look a lot different since the last time I saw you. What's it been, three years?"

A minute later a woman came up and was behind this man. I didn't get a good look at her but it wasn't hard to tell she was pregnant.

"Darling," he said to the woman who I could finally see. "This is an old friend from college, Maggie. Maggie this is my wife and soon to be the mother of my child...."

I butted in, "Kelly!"

"Ken, what a surprise to see you here! I have to say I never expected to see you again," said Kelly.

So I figured this was Brad, the asshole who used Maggie. He said to Kelly, "When did you meet this guy?"

I decided to save her. "My friends threw me a birthday party and Kelly came along to it with her girlfriends. Kelly, I must admit you look quite different since I last saw you. You've gotten married and expecting a baby; when are you due?"

"Just about any time. I think I better go and sit down so I don't have her while I'm standing here. It was nice seeing you again, Ken. Maggie, it was nice meeting you." As they went back to their table Brad looked back and grinned at Maggie.

"That was him, wasn't it? The guy that needs to be taught a lesson?" I asked Maggie.

"Yes, he's such a bastard. I almost feel sorry for his wife. Having a kid with a prick like him would be enough to make a woman want to abort her kid. I'm sorry, I didn't mean it. Every baby deserves a chance at life."

"Maggie, I have to go to my car. I promise I'll be right back."

I went out to my car and got a test tube of one of the toxic chemicals that I showed at the exhibit. I figured I could help give my friend a little payback. I went back into the lounge.

"What did you need from the car?" asked Maggie.

"Well, seeing he's a lot bigger than me and I don't want to get my ass kicked. , I figured I'd get a little payback for my new girl friend."

"What are you saying? Ken, please don't get mixed up with that asshole. I would hate to see you get hurt on account of my foolishness."

"Don't worry, everything will be fine." About that time I saw Brad get up to use the men's room. I told Maggie I would be right back. I went and sat in Kelly's booth.

"What are you doing here? You have to go, Brad will kill you," said Kelly.

"Is it my kid?" I asked. "I'm pretty good with numbers and we were last together nine months ago."

"I don't know and I don't want to know. Brad and I are happy and there won't be any DNA tests."

"That's fine," I said as I poured my vial of contaminated water into Brad's beer.

"What are you doing? What is that stuff?" asked Kelly very worried.

"Your husband used my friend when she was just a freshman and totally embarrassed her in front of his friends. She had to leave the university and go to another college. This is my way of getting even with him."

"Is that poison? I'm going to tell him," said Kelly.

"Look, he'll have the shits for a couple of days. If you tell him, then I might have to talk to him also. I like you and would hate to say anything to him. I hope we never see each other again. If it is my kid, please take care of her."

I went and sat back in the booth with Maggie. Brad came out of the restroom and grinned at Maggie as he sat down.

"Maggie, he will be having a big case of the shits for a couple of days. It's the only thing I could think of for some minor revenge for you. Do you want to leave now or wait till he makes a quick run to the restroom?"

"I think we can stay for a few minutes. Are you sure his wife won't say anything?"

"I'm pretty sure. She has a few secrets that I found out about by accident that I'm pretty sure she doesn't want him to know about."

It wasn't five minutes when Brad quickly got up and ran for the men's room. Maggie smiled as we got up to leave. We stopped by Kelly's booth and wished her the best.

Kelly looked at Maggie and said, "Hang on to Ken, he's really a nice guy." We said our goodbyes and got in my car and headed back over to the expo center to Maggie's car.

When we got there Maggie got out of the car and told me she had a wonderful time. She gave me her phone umber and address. She thanked me for a wonderful day and the revenge we got on Brad.

"Maggie, I know we just met today. I know we have feeling for each other. I may be wrong here but would you like to come up to my room? We can talk if you like or I'd like to make love to you. I promise this won't be a one night stand."

Maggie had watery eyes. "Ken, I care for you, I really do but I can't take a chance on being hurt again. I guess I feel too vulnerable. I hope you can understand." She came forward and kissed me and then got in her car.

I got in my car and headed to my motel room. As I entered the room all I could think about was Maggie. I didn't think this was infatuation; was it possible to love some one you just met? That's how I felt about Maggie. I had to wonder how she felt.

Chapter 3

I took off my sport jacket and shirt and hung them up. I turned on the TV for a little noise in the room but turned it low not to bother other guests in the next room. I was sitting on the bed when I heard a light knock on my door. I couldn't believe that when I opened it, there stood Maggie.

"This better be for real. I realize I care for you and couldn't take a chance that I might never see you again. All I ask is that you be honest with me. If you don't feel the same toward me then please tell me now."

"Maggie, it might be hard to believe but I think I love you. I know we just met and they say it takes time to get to know someone but I feel I know you. The last thing I would ever do is hurt you." She came in my arms and kissed me, I mean really kissed me and then backed away and stared at me.

She took out her cell phone and dialed a number. "Mom, I'm staying in Columbus tonight. I'll see you tomorrow, love you." Then she hung up her phone.

I took her in my arms and kissed her again and again. "Are we going to have sex?" she asked me. "I need to tell you that this is only my second time. I told you about my first time and to be honest it hurt, and outside of being made a fool of, I didn't like it."

"I'm not having sex with you." She looked at me quite odd. "I'm going to make love to you. If I do anything that hurts you in anyway, please tell me."

I turned off the lights and we only had the glow from the TV. She pulled off her sweater and unzipped her skirt. I took them and hung them up. I then removed my trousers. It left her in her bra and panties and me in my Jockeys.

DG Hear
DG Hear
5,723 Followers