The Way of War Pt. 15

Story Info
Sequel to The Tides of War.
4.8k words
4.81
9.2k
1

Part 15 of the 20 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 11/02/2018
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
RobinLane
RobinLane
336 Followers

Chapter 41

Once back in the Crater he told Sharron about what had been discussed with her father.

She looked at him "Shaun why are you doing this for us?"

He stared at her for a moment. "We've just been through a world war in which millions have died. I don't know much about the Jewish faith but the fact that seven or eight million Jews were murdered for no other reason that they were Jews seems obscene to me. The fact that they want to return to their homeland, which was incidentally promised to them seems only right. The fact that they will be ringed by Arab nations who have been urged by the Grand Mufti of Jerusalem to kill every one of them, seems to be a continuation of what Hitler started. The Allies could not help during the war, partly because we were not fully aware of the scale of what was going on. But we don't have that excuse now."

Sharron stared at him as tears filled her eyes, "Shaun I do love you, more so now. Thank you darling."

The next day he drove down to the Game Reserve to see Sultar. After a long discussion it was decided that the camp for the trainees would be based in the North East of the Reserve.

"We should be all right there it's mostly barren land, sand dunes and scrub. The Maasia don't use it and the animals avoid it due to the lack of water." Sultar said.

It was arranged that tents would be erected ready for them close to a water hole and a generator would be set up. Some of the Ghurkha rangers would move there in preparation for them coming.

"I'm flying down to Cape Town in the next few days to see what I can buy from the War Surplus Depo at Simons Town. Whatever I get will be sent back on the train dependant on size," Shaun said.

Sultar smiled, "Do you know much about vehicles Shaun apart from how to drive them?"

Shaun looked up startled and slowly shook his head.

Sultar smiled again, "I thought not. But Ken does, he runs the main Garage in Nairobi, it would be worth your while to see if he'll go with you."

"I thought Ken's folks were farmers." Shaun replied.

"They are, but Ken's wife's family ran a small garage in town, which they let Ken run for them. He expanded their operations gaining dealerships with Ford, Dodge, and Chrysler to name just a few."

Shaun nodded, "He was the procurement officer of O patrol in the desert, so it makes sense."

Ken was sat in his office reading a brochure when Shaun knocked on the door. A wide smile crossed his face as he waved to his friend to come in.

"So what brings you to my humble abode," he murmured as he poured out two drinks for them.

Shaun sat down opposite his desk. "Ken what do you know of the situation in Palestine?"

Ken frowned, "Not a lot, from what I've read the Jews are in for a sticky time if they do get their way regarding a homeland."

Shaun nodded sadly, "Their ringed by Arab Nations who will try to drive them into the Mediterranean."

"Yes, that's what I've heard. What's your interest in it?"

Shaun took a deep breath and began to explain what he intended to do. When he had finished he looked at his friend seeing the slow smile forming on his face.

"Resurrect the old LRDG eh. I'm in, how can I help?"

"I need to buy vehicles from the War Surplus Depo in Simon's Town, mainly the American Jeeps and Chivvies trucks or what would be suitable. The Jeeps would be the attacking force and the trucks used for re-supplely for fuel and ammunition." Shaun went on to explain how they had used them in Libya.

Ken stroked his chin "how many do you want?"

"To start with about ten Jeeps and say two or three trucks, if I can get them fitted out with armaments we will get more lately, I hope."

"Wow," Ken murmured, "how you going to pay for them?"

"There has been funds deposited in the Game Reserve account by the Jewish Committee that I can draw on. Fortunately what they lack in equipment and arms is not effected by monetary donations from around the world."

"Well if you go buying that amount of vehicles someone is bound to notice. Let me get them, I have the perfect cover being a vehicle dealer. I can open a separate account at the bank to pay for them and the Game Reserve can pay the cost into that."

It was agreed that Shaun would accompany Ken to Cape Town and they would fly down in the Dakota.

Three days later the Dakota lined up on its approach run to Wingfield Airdrome having received landing permission. Shaun noticed the changes to the airport from his student flying days, it had been expanded and now was home for the SAAF Fleet Air Arm. Hellcat II's were lined up at one end of the runway.

After passing through the flight office, they hailed a taxi which dropped them at the Bolder Hotel in Simon's Town. After checking in Ken took a taxi down to the Naval Base.

Shaun went out to the patio with his binoculars to look down on the harbour. He already knew that Simon's Town was the main Royal Naval Base for South Africa. The harbour had become an important base for convoys which had to take the long way around to the horn of Africa when the Mediterranean was almost closed by the Axis airpowers and submarines.

The harbour installations had been expanded to provide workshops and storage facilities despite the lack of available space to build owing to the cliffs that towered above it. Shaun could see for himself that the harbour was busting at the seams with the amount of shipping that was either coming or going from the busy base.

Ken was gone for over four hours. When he returned he was clutching a wad of A4 sheets and a wide smile. Shaun ordered a drink for him as he took a seat.

"It's chaos down there" he gasped, "the Commander responsible for storage is having a fit trying to find space for everything."

Ken took a long drink before continuing. "He gave me a copy of what they have in storage. When he found out what I was after, I really think he would have given me it all free so long as I took it away," he chuckled. "It seems they have had shipments from the States they said they didn't need. But the Yanks won't take it back so they are stuck with them."

He handed Shaun the lists and sat back with his drink while Shaun looked them over.

Shaun's eyes were flicking through the lists getting wider as he progressed. Finally he looked up, "Ken did you see what's on this?"

"Yeah, I looked over it in the taxi. They have nine Jeeps still in there creates, I didn't see any Chevrolet trucks but I looked over the Dodge WC63's 6x6 1½ ton trucks, they have 3 which have power winches on them at the front, and towing hooks at the back. I think they would do the job the Chevrolet's did for us."

Shaun nodded "I see they have extensive parts lists, filters, tyres, spark plugs and points etc. Ken I'm going to leave it all to you, we are going to need it all."

Ken laughed "I thought you would pass the buck. No problem Shaun, I'll start tomorrow."

Later that night he phone home to Sharon. At the sound of her voice his heart swelled.

"Hello darling it's Shaun" He heard her gasp on the receiver.

"Hello darling are you all right?"

"Yes fine, look I need you to contact your father and inform him we are ready to receive the first students. But they need to have good mechanics in the first draft. We can take 10 to start with and build from there."

"I can't phone him directly, he thinks his phone is tapped, but I can phone Mum at the hospital and if I use the old Z code she will understand and she'll pass the message on. I've had a letter from Prof, he Barbara and Cookie will be arriving in a weeks' time. I'm getting a home ready for them. When will you be coming home?"

"All being well the day after tomorrow. I love you, good night darling."

"Good night darling I miss you."

He replaced the receiver and sat back lighting a cigarette. His mind awash with thoughts, Ken he knew would handle the purchase of the vehicles and spares and also arrange the transportation of them on a train. But his next major problem was where to find the guns for them. Ideally the Browning .5 M2HB and the ammunition to fire them. He would need to consult with Prof and Cookie about that problem."

That night after dinner he brought up the subject with Ken. He had been invalided out and had not been aware that the patrol had converted to the 50 calibre machine guns for the main armaments for the trucks. "With their Armour Piercing Incendiary rounds they were a formidable weapon," Shaun said.

"But from what you say they are likely to be up against tanks," Ken observed.

Shaun nodded sadly "Yeah, they're going to need something else to redress that problem."

Chapter 42

After he had climbed to his desired altitude he level out and throttled back to economy airspeed, glancing over the instrument panel to see everything was in order he settled back for the long flight back home. His mind began to think of what lay ahead regarding organizing the training of the Jewish force. The training of map-reading and astral navigation would be left to the Proff Cookie could be left to explain the intricacies of explosives and how to exist in the field. But the question of weapons, where to get them, and what was available figured most in his mind.

Yasmine dropped him off outside his home as she continued to the hospital block. He dropped his overnight bag on the bed then stripped and entered the shower. Thirty minutes later he entered the living room and poured out a drink for himself taking it to the settee and sat down. He took a sip then rubbed his eyes, tired from the long flight.

Sharron found him sleeping in the settee, he hadn't even finished his drink she noticed. She smiled, and unfasted his tie and shoes, removing them. She lifted his legs and swung him around to lay along the settee. He murmured something in his sleep, but she could tell by his rhythmic breathing he was fast asleep. She brought a blanket from the bedroom and covered him before bending to kiss his lips.

She was outside on the stoop having breakfast when Shaun freshly showered and shaved made his appearance. He smiled apologetically, "Sorry darling I must have been more tired than I thought."

Sharron looked at him, "It's a long trip from Cape Town, and you had every right to be tired. Have some breakfast then tell me all about the trip."

They moved into the lounge to drink their coffee, she waited until he lit a cigarette.

"Ken's going to bid on nine jeeps and three trucks all brand new. There's extensive parts that are on offer as well, he knows what we need so I've left it with him to organize it all. The main problem is the weapons for them, I'm rather hoping your father has some ideas on that."

"When will they arrive?" Sharron asked quietly.

"Well he'll have to organize freight for that amount, he'd need a least five flatbeds. They may need to lay on a special train for that lot. Which surmising he gets it all could take a week or so."

"I'll let Mum know and she can pass it on to Dad," Sharron murmured.

"You can also let him know about the first trainee's. They'll need to arrive in ones and twos to avoid suspicion. Prof and Cookie should be here by then, hopefully."

Sharron nodded looking closely at him, "There's a lot to do darling, and not a few problems to sort out."

"Tell me about it," he smiled ruefully.

Three days later Ken arrived at the Crater.

Shaun brought drinks out to the stoop while Ken brought him up to date with events.

"It all cost £20000," he said with a smile. "That's nine Jeeps and two trucks plus all the spares and twenty jerry cans. I all so bought two trailer bowsers, a water bowser and a fuel bowser. The trucks can tow them, I hope I didn't over step the mark buying them but they were going for a pittance."

Shaun laughed, "No, not at all, I should have thought of that. We will need them in the Sini. When do they arrive?"

"Should be arriving within the next week, there putting on a special train and the flatcars will be put into a siding when they arrive so they said. That cost £1500 to lay on, so all you need to do is get them to the Game Reserve. The Jeeps have been taken out of there packing cases and have been started up along with the trucks. The Naval Commander had the battery's charged up and filled with petrol, but you will probably need more to get them to were there going. I'll have the jerry cans filled with fuel once they arrive."

Shaun smiled, "Thanks Ken, I really owe you one for all of this."

Ken chuckled, "It was a pleasure, but I'd still like to be involved when they arrive for training if you don't mind."

"Ken you know what a patrol need's to make it function as much as I do. It would be a great help thank you."

The following week Prof, Barbara and Cookie arrived. Shaun and Sharron met them at the railway station. Once they had them all loaded into the big Ford estate car they set of for the Crater. Leaving behind two large packing cases that the Jason and the Ghurkha's would bring on the Bedford truck. Barbara Sharron and Prof were in the back seat whilst Cookie sat alongside Shaun.

"So did you have any problems getting out here?" Shaun asked Cookie whilst the three in the back seat chattered amongst themselves.

Cookie grinned, "No problems Boss, the Army was closing up shop in Egypt, and the Arabs wanted us out quick. Which helped us bring quite a lot of our equipment out with us, without any one checking it when we bordered ship at Port Said. "

"I wondered what was in the packing cases. I still have to find the weapons we will put on the vehicles, that's the next big task, any ideas?"

Cookie sat back considering the question for a moment. "Have you thought of contacting Bobby?"

Shaun frowned, "Bobby, why would I contact him?"

"Well, he's still in the Army, he's a Major now based in Paris. The last we heard from him was he was involved with collecting all the weapons that were hanging around for disposal. The reason I mentioned him is that his mother was a Jew."

Shaun showed his surprise at this. "How the hell did you know that?"

Cookie grinned, "He mentioned it at your wedding. He said his parents had a register office wedding, although his mother was Jewish. Have a chat with the Prof, he keeps in contact with him as well as some of the others from Patrol Z."

Later that night after dinner while Sharron and Barbara chattered in the lounge Shaun Cookie and Prof moved out to the stoop for a cigarette. Shaun brought up the subject of Bobby.

"He was in a recon group at D-Day" Prof explained, "he spent most of his time in front of the Allies lines. He was one of the first at Bergan-Belsen. The experience shook him up he said, the horror of what the Nazis did to those people gave him nightmares for months afterwards."

Shaun was silent for a few moments, "Do you think he would help us to get the weapons for the Israelis?"

"Well Boss" Prof replied, "The only way to find out is to ask him."

Shaun stared at Prof, he was right he thought. A letter perhaps, no he rejected that thought, the only way to do this was to see Bobby in person and see how far his convictions regarding the Jews went.

Later that night in bed he told Sharron what Prof had said and that he thought he should go to Paris and see Bobby in person.

"On your return you could call in on Father and see what is happening there, and bring him up to date with developments here."

Chapter 43

It was late summer 1946 when Shaun landed in England.

London still bore the scars of the bombing Shaun noticed. The people went about their business as life slowly returned to normal after what they had endured through the war. Rationing of petrol and food was strictly in place which accounted for the lack of transport on the roads.

Shaun booked into the Russel Square Hotel and after a bath made a long distance telephone call to the number Prof had given him in Paris. He had to wait for ten minutes before he was connected to Bobby's office.

"Major Dole" a tinny voice said at the other end of the line.

"Hello Bobby its Shaun," he said into the receiver.

There was a pause at the other end of the line then, "Shaun you old sod, it's great to hear you again," the voice rushed on excitedly "are you in Paris?"

Shaun smiled at the reception, "No I'm in London, but hope to get over there tomorrow if I can find a hotel."

"Bollocks to a hotel, you'll stay with me. I have a flat with plenty of room, got a pencil I'll give you the address."

Shaun found a pen and paper and wrote down the address Bobby gave him.

"When you know what flight you're on let me know and I'll try to pick you up," Bobby continued.

Later in the day he phoned through the flight details.

*******

Shaun excited the DC3 along with the other passengers most of which were in uniform at Le Bourget airport and made his way to the terminal shed.

As he stepped out on the other side of the shed he saw Bobby in uniform standing alongside a Humber Staff car. As he walked towards him carrying his case a Corporal came and took the case from him, "I'll see to this for you sir," he said taking charge of the case.

The next thing he found himself in a bear hug by Bobby. Breaking free he looked into the smiling face of his friend. "God Shaun it's so good to see you."

Shaun looked into Bobby's face, the face had aged beyond his years in some ways. His eyes that had always been bright and happy now looked somewhat dull and crow's feet lines emanated from the corners of them. He knew from the talks with Prof that Bobby had been in the thick of it from D-Day until the final surrender.

They climbed into the car as the Corporal slid behind the wheel.

"Back to the flat Simms, then you can take the rest of the day off."

On the drive to the flat Shaun noticed the lack of public transport, most, like London were service vehicles. The people on the street looked drab as they shuffled along.

Bobby noticed Shaun's stare. "Rationing is harder here than in London, it's not too bad out in the country but food and petrol are in short supply. The black market is a cottage industry and some are making a fortune out of it."

The Humber pulled up in a narrow lane between rows of houses that looked to be four stories high. The Corporal led the way with Shaun's case into a lift which seemed to be encased in wrought ironwork.

"I'm on the top floor," Bobby murmured, "I took possession of it from a German Colonel," he said with a grin.

On opening the door Shaun could see that the Colonel had not skimped in making the flat comfortable. Simms dropped the case and departed, Bobby picked it up "You're through here," he said leading the way into a bedroom. "If you want to clean up there should be some hot water available. I'll go and pour out some drinks."

After a quick wash Shaun made his way back to the lounge. Bobby had removed his battledress jacket and now sat in shirt sleeves on a high backed leather armchair, in front of a coffee table on which two drinks in cut-glass beakers were poured.

Shaun took a seat in a twin of the chair Bobby was sat. "Cheers" Bobby said rising his glass. Shaun made the necessary reply tasting what was obviously a malt scotch.

"You certainly live well," Shaun murmured. Bobby chuckled, "To the victors lay the spoils."

"So" continued Shaun "have you heard anything about Tim and Bill?"

Bobby's face fell, "They both went into Arnhem and didn't make it out," he said quietly. I was with XXX Corps trying to get through to them.

Shaun felt the loss of his former friends strike him like a punch to the gut.

"They were bloody good blokes," he murmured taking another drink.

A silence entered the room as each man remembered their former comrades.

"To absent friends," Shaun murmured as he raised his drink.

"Absent friends," Bobby replied.

"So," he continued to break the mood. "How's things in Kenya?"

RobinLane
RobinLane
336 Followers
12