The Way of War Pt. 17

Story Info
Sequel to The Tides of War.
4.1k words
4.81
10.1k
3

Part 17 of the 20 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 11/02/2018
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
RobinLane
RobinLane
336 Followers

Chapter 48

The ship slowly nosed up to the unloading point. The moon cast a faint glow on the desert landscape as everyone on board held their breath. Then from the shore a red light was seen flashing on and off. Shaun relaxed from the tension that had built up. They had not been discovered, Captain Stavros quietly gave an order and the ship slowly came to a stop.

The ship was secured to the shore, and the ship's derrick swung into action. Shaun could see from the bridge shadowy figures appearing on the shore getting ready to receive the first vehicle. He turned to Stavros, "I'd better get ashore so I'll say my goodbyes Captain."

Stavros smiled sadly "God go with you Major and your men." They shook hands, then Shaun made his way to the deck of the ship.

He gave an involuntary shiver feeling the cold of the desert night. Finding his kitbag mixed with those of the others he slipped on the Shernaghs scarf around his neck and his goggles, then put on the old RAF fur lined flight jacket, feeling the instant warmth of it. Clipping on the army belt with the holster that contained his grandfather's 1911 Colt Automatic, his final act was to put on his Australian bush hat, satisfied he made his way to the ladder that led to the shore.

On the shore he could see Stanley's men had everything in hand, already two of the trucks had been unloaded and moved away waiting for the bowsers to be unloaded. Bobby, Cookie and the four trainees stood to one side allowing Stanley to organise his men.

Shaun glanced at his watch, they were on schedule. Bobby came over to him.

"You can tell they have done this before," he chuckled. Shaun nodded, watching as a bowser was unloaded. In seconds a truck was reversed and the bowser hooked on and moved away. He saw Cookie examining the back of the Bedford truck that had brought Stanley and his men, and walked over to him.

"I see they have improved on what we told them at the Crater boss," Cookie said.

Hanging down from chassis of the Bedford were two heavy canvas strips about three feet wide with steel strips riveted to the canvas dragging on the ground.

Shaun nodded, "They'll obscure the tyre tracks but kick up a hell of a lot of dust. Just as well we will be travelling at night."

********************

After ninety minutes the Jeeps had all been unloaded and the convoy was formed up. The Iona Star had moved away, rebuilding the large packing cases, now empty on the decks. They were alone now.

Bobby had cheeked that all the radios in the vehicles were all on the same net, their kitbags and bedrolls had been placed in the water bowser truck.

They had discussed the setup of the convoy with Stanley. The four Jeeps would lead with the two trucks behind and the Bedford bringing up the rear.

Stanley came up to them, "We are ready to move Shaun, and we have to get to our first point before daylight before the Egyptian's have their aircraft up."

Shaun knew that the Egyptians had Spitfires and patrolled deeply into the Negev. "We're ready Stanley," he said climbing into the truck to join Bobby and Cookie. Stanley walked back to the lead Jeep.

Shaun put the scarf around his face and adjusted the goggles on his face then settled down onto the bedrolls has the convoy moved off. He knew that they would only be doing about ten or fifteen miles an hour, and even this would drop to a crawl on some sections. Laying back on the bedrolls he contemplated the night sky awash with stars. The adrenaline slowly draining away from the tension that had gripped him during the unloading and he relaxed into a restless sleep.

*******************

Cookie woke him shaking his shoulder, he blinked regaining his senses.

"Get this inside you Boss," he said handing over a mug of tea. The convoy had stopped and the first light of dawn was appearing in the east.

Sitting up he looked around through the netting of a camouflage net. They appeared to be in a narrow valley vehicles were positioned on either side of it already covered with nets. Finishing his tea he jumped down from the truck, Cookie already had the Bengasi burner's working, "breakfast in twenty minutes Boss," he said. Shaun nodded stretching to free his body of the kinks.

Seeing Bobby in conversation with Stanley in the front of the truck, he joined them.

"Good sleep Shaun?" Bobby asked with a smile on his face.

"Yes thanks," Shaun replied sheepishly.

"Stanley says we made good time last night, but the going will get slower from here on," Bobby continued.

They were interrupted by Cookie shouting "Grub up."

"Have you had your breakfast yet Stanley?" Shaun asked Stanley.

"Not yet," he replied.

"Well you are welcome to join us, but it will be bacon and eggs I'm afraid." Shaun continued.

Stanley smiled sheepishly, "After five years in the British army I'm afraid I've become a lapsed Jew regarding food."

Shaun and Bobby chuckled, "There's going to be another for breakfast Cookie." Shaun shouted.

After they had eaten, Shaun and Stanley walked along the ravine checking the displacement of the vehicles. They had been placed either side of the ravine in the shadows cast by the steepness of the sides. Each was concealed by a camouflage net which broke up the outline of each vehicle. Shaun could make out the men wrapped in their bedrolls already asleep from the labours of the previous night.

"They had been on the go for over twenty four hours straight," Stanley explained.

Shaun nodded as he continued.

"I have lookouts placed on either side of the valley, they'll be relieved after two hours by the next lookouts," Stanley explained. Shaun nodded again.

Stanley carried on, "We have a further three nights travel until we reach base camp. The last night will be the most dangerous, we head north to bring us closer to the Sini road. We have to pass between two villages which we suspect of having Egyptian sympathisers housed there."

Shaun left Stanley pulling out his bedroll from his Jeep, thinking he too had been busy over the last twenty four hours.

He pulled out his silver cigarette case and selected one before lighting it with his Zippo lighter. Drawing deeply on it he set off slowly back to the truck.

*******************

The next three nights they made their way slowly but carefully along the route Proff had mapped out. The last night their speed dropped down to only five miles an hour as they navigated between the two villages coming to a halt, finally in an outcrop of steep cliffs. It was still too dark for Shaun to make out the details of the place, but he was thankful to pull out his bedroll and get some sleep after the tension of the previous night.

Cookie woke him with a steaming mug of tea, he drank it slowly getting his bearings of the location, whilst Cookie returned to the burner.

They appeared to be in an old dry riverbed hat had been out of use for over a thousand years. The sides had been washed smooth by the river that had flowed through it but now it had crumbled in places. Some of Stanley's men were putting the finishing touches to the camouflage net the hung above him.

Bobby crouched down beside him, "You slept deeply as well as I it seems," he said grinning.

"Yeah, I must be getting old," Shaun replied sheepishly.

"No, you are just out of practice like Cookie and I. I had a word with Stanley ten minutes ago, after we have eaten we are to meet him in the command post, he'll send someone over to guide us."

Cookie handed him his plate and another to Bobby before taking his and settling down by the truck. "It looks fairly secure," he said glancing down the riverbed.

"I had a quick look when I met Stanley. It's quite narrow so there is a lot of shadow cast down to hide the vehicles," Bobby murmured.

"I can't remember Proff mentioning anything about it. But again he only surveyed the South side of the Sini. This is further north, closer to the Med and the main Sini road," Shaun replied.

They were cleaning up their plates when Sol arrived to show them to the command post.

In conversation with Sol as they walked, it seemed he had been here at the base for seven months. And it didn't look like he would get home soon.

The command post was a large tarpaulin suspended on poles covering a deep recess at the base of the valley wall. Inside a four foot by eight foot sheet of ply wood suspended on trestles was covered in maps and sketches. Around the makeshift table three men stood, Shaun recognised his father-in-law immediately, Ari Silverman and Stanley. The third he had never seen before.

A huge smile lit up Ari Silverman's face as he saw Shaun. "So how is my daughter and my grandson Shaun?"

"Sharron was annoyed I wouldn't let her come, but David keeps her occupied, he's into everything now he's toddling."

Ari chuckled, "Well let me introduce you to our third member, you already know Stanley. This is Professor David Wiseman, he's head of archaeology at Tel Aviv University, but also a very fine Cardiologist and has produced most of the maps you see on the table." Turning to Professor Wiseman Ari said, "David this is my son-in law, Major Shaun Ramage, the one at his side is Major Robert Dole and the other is Staff Sargent Stan Yates. Between them they know more about the type of fighting we will encounter then anyone currently in Africa."

Wiseman smiled and held out his hand to Shaun, "The name is David, Major."

Shaun shook it replying "And ours is Shaun, Bobby and Cookie, David."

"Well down to business," Ari Silverman said brusquely. "I think the best thing is for Stanley to bring you up to date with what's happening here, I'll bring you up to date with the situation regarding the UN after Stanley has finished."

Stanley cleared his throat before beginning. "Including Shaun, Bobby and Cookie and the four trainees they brought with them, our total strength is 82. Of those eight are out scouting the road and the Egyptian base on this side of the canal.

Vehicles, currently we have 7 Jeeps. Two are out at staging posts along the road. 2 support trucks, along with water and fuel bowsers and two Bedford 3 tonners for general duties.

Thanks to David we have successfully managed to re-open the old Roman well and now have a reasonable supply of water. Rations, we have sufficient for two weeks and are expecting a resupply within the next six days.

Regarding intelligence. We know at the present the Egyptian's have just over 800 troops on this side of the Canal with 2000 based close by on the other side. It would seem that billeting them is the reason for the numbers, having said that they are making progress in building new ones so the numbers are likely to increase. Currently they have 10 Sherman Tanks, 6 tracked troop carriers and 30 3 Ton trucks. They also have 3 Radio Detection vans and 10 or so jeeps and 15 cwt trucks.

It's been reported that five European's seem to be quite possible having a major say in the organisation of the force facing us. Going on the description of their uniforms I would hazard a guess that they ex-Waffen SS, the senior man seems to have the insignia of a Sturmbanfuhrer which is the rank of Major in the British Army. We hope to get a photograph of them, but the problem is getting a camera into the site safely.

Weapons. Apart from the Sherman's 75mm guns and 50cal and 30cal machine guns. They have two British 25 pounders, two 30mm quad anti-aircraft and two 20mm anti-aircraft canons, all of which are towed behind vehicles. For the most part the men are armed with SMLE's Bren's and Vickers heavy machine guns as well as some MG 42's. They have mortars but we are not sure what size as yet." Stanley stopped talking and look around the group as if expecting comment.

"Thank you CSM," giving Stanley his old Army rank. "That was a very concise and detailed report," Shaun murmured.

"Yes extremely well done Stanley." Bobby added.

"Right my turn," Ari Silverman said. "The General Assembly of the United Nations is to vote of the Partition of Palestine within the next few weeks. If the vote goes our way we expect to have an increase of hostilities from the Arab nations. We don't expect to have much help from the British, they're too busy moving out. At the moment Hagenah's main objective is to keep the road to Jerusalem open. Most of the weapons that Bobby supplied have gone to the men involved in this. But we have reports of increased aggression towards the settlements and Kibbutz's along the Sini road. Last week three 14year olds, two girls and a boy were taken while checking the orange grove at Batazar Kibbutz. Their bodies were found later, they had all been repeatedly raped and mutilated.

We have seven Palmach now at the Kibbutz to help prepare defences. They have ten .303's and two Bren gun's with about fifty rounds of ammunition each. We need to reinforce them with arms and men, we are withdrawing thirty of the Palmach from the Jerusalem road detail to reinforce the three Kibbutz's and the settlement. But it will take time to get them here. We will need to use some of the men from here until they arrive." Stanley nodded in agreement.

"I think Shaun, we need to get the rest of the vehicles, men and arms from the Creator over here as soon as possible. It will take at least two months before the Iona Star is in a position to pick them up. Do you agree?"

Shaun nodded, "If you can get a message through to Sharron, Proff can start to get things moving at his end."

The meeting broke up, and after shaking hands with Ari and David they climbed into a Bedford truck and drove away.

The four remaining stood looking at the maps on the table. Shaun smiled, "So Stanley, you gave your report, now what is your personal opinion of the situation?"

Stanley shrugged, "From what we have heard it would seem that the entire route of the road has been mapped out. They have aerial photographs of it and the obvious choke points along it have men stationed there. When they come, it will be difficult to stop them."

"So between us we will have to find away," Bobby murmured.

"Well the first order of business is the three Kibbutz's, and how to protect them," Shaun said.

"Batazar is the most venerable," Stanley declared. "It's closer to the Egyptian's than any of the others and the furthest from any aid we can muster. A Doctor Black and his wife run it with five helper's, at the last count there were 95 young people who work in the orange grove and fields. Most are between thirteen and eighteen."

"We daren't use the jeeps or support trucks, it would tip our hands off to the Egyptian army. So it will have to be men we send," Shaun said.

The three men nodded agreeing.

"We can use the Bedford to get them in, they use them to bring in supplies," Stanley replied. "Regarding weapons, with the one's you brought Shaun we can spare 6 Bren's and 28 SMLE's and I think if we use the ones you brought 12 MP42's with the ammunition for them. We also have five 3inch mortars with star shells and standard shells, but I will need to check how many we have."

"Look," murmured Bobby. "That's all very well for defence, but how many are attacking the Kibbutz?"

Stanley frowned "From reports I would say about twenty or thirty. They carry out spasmodic sniping and toss in the odd mortar round. They mainly try to grab anyone they can from the Kibbutz's."

"So rather than go for defence, we need to go on the attack." Bobby replied. "A small group of determined men could pick them off in stealth attacks, rather like we did in Europe with the commandoes and SAS." He looked around the others for comment.

Shaun asked, "Do you have any amongst your men Stanley who have training in that sort of operation." He knew that Bobby had been on missions behind enemy lines to eliminate top ranking Waffen SS commanders whose troops were holding up the army's advance across Europe.

A gleam came into Stanley's eyes, "They may not have trained with the SAS or Commandoes but they learnt stealth tactics in the backstreets in Tel Aviv and in the towns around the area. I could pick out six or seven who would be ideal."

Bobby and Stanley put their heads together to discuss plans.

Shaun left them to their discussion and moved away to climb up the bank of the valley following the goat track, near the top in found a place that offered some shade and sat down. He lit a cigarette and began to think of the challenge that lay ahead of them.

The main problem were the Egyptian tanks, they had to be neutralised...but how. From the map he had seen there were three likely places to ambush them. But each was likely guarded due to the obvious location, and the enemy would expect them to attempt an attack there. He ruled out one of them right away, it was too close to the Egyptian's point of attack. That left two possible ambush sites. He knew he would have to see them at first hand. His mind drifted, and he began to think of Sharron and his son...how they were... what they were doing. He realised he was home sick with longing to see them. He threw away the cigarette angry with himself and rose to his feet and made his way slowly back to the trucks.

Cookie was making a brew of tea when he arrived back.

"About ten minute's boss," he murmured.

Shaun nodded and settled down with his back against the trucks wheel. He could see Bobby and Stanley with a small group of men taking some way off by another truck.

Eventually the group broke off and Bobby and Stanley moved back towards them. Excepting and mug of tea each from Cookie they came over to Shaun.

"If it's alright Shaun, Stanley and six of the men and I are moving out in about two days to take up position at Batazar."

Shaun nodded "Be careful," he grinned "And good luck." He turned to Stanley, "I need to see the passes first hand who can guide me?"

Stanley replied straight away "Take Sol he knows the area better than anyone. But it will take six or seven days to get there, its rough country and you will have to travel at night to avoid detection."

Later Shaun discussed his requirement with Sol with Stanley and Cookie in attendance.

"We will need to take a Jeep, it will need to be loaded with extra food water and fuel. The machine guns will need to be removed to save weight and avoid any noise they may make. We probably will only be making ten or fifteen miles a night because of the torturous route we will have to take," Sol said.

Shaun smiled "well we had better start getting ready then."

Chapter 49

The next day after selecting a Jeep, Sol and Shaun began stripping it down of its machine guns and preparing it for the mission.

In the meanwhile Cookie was involved it adapting the silences that had been used on the Sten guns of the Palmach prior to the shipments of weapons from Bobby. While Bobby was showing the six volunteers how to make gillie suits from camouflage netting and shacking strips.

Around the Benghazi burner that night drinking tea Cookie commentated on his progress to Bobby and Shaun.

"I've managed to adapt seven to fit the P38's, they're going to be a bit cumbersome adding nearly a foot to the length of the pistol, but the results are good. The downside is the range is nearly halved, so you will have to be close Bobby."

Bobby nodded "Hopefully we will be using knives, the guns are there mainly for backup, but thanks Cookie."

Shaun knew Bobby had a silencer for his Browning Hi-Power that he had used on similar missions in Europe.

"The gillie suits are coming on well, the guys soon got the idea of what Stanley and I wanted them to do. I'm hoping tomorrow we can begin training with them."

"Well the Jeep is nearly ready, so with a bit of luck Sol and I will take off tomorrow night. With Stanley, Bobby and I away Cookie, you will be in charge, we will be away for about three weeks are so," Shaun murmured.

RobinLane
RobinLane
336 Followers
12