The Way of War Pt. 18

Story Info
Sequel to The Tides of War.
3.9k words
4.82
8.8k
0

Part 18 of the 20 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 11/02/2018
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
RobinLane
RobinLane
337 Followers

************

Shaun held on tightly to the grab handles of the Jeep as it lurched and bumped its way along the passage the Jeep was taking. It's progress lit by the hooded lights of its headlights. He didn't speak to Sol, knowing he had to concentrate on his driving.

As dawn broke over the crags, Sol pulled over to an overhanging cliff face, and they began to camouflage the Jeep, afterwards they made camp.

Over the course of the eight nights it took to reach the second gorge Shaun slowly pieced together Sol's story. With gentle probing, from talks they had had while waiting for night to come.

He along with his parents and grandparents had fled Poland when Germany invaded Poland. His father, a lawyer knew what the Nazi's had done to Jews in Germany and had made preparations to escape. He had planned to escape to England, but somehow the family had become separated in the confusion of people trying to escape the Nazi's.

How a fifteen year old boy had managed to traverse the distance from Poland to England and the insurmountable problems this must have coursed, Shaun could only imagine. But Sol had arrived in England in February 1940, friendless and without hardly any money. He had been placed with other refugees in a camp in Dorset.

Fortunately Sol had a good grasp of English having studded it School along with other languages. He made repeated attempts to find out information about his family, but to no avail.

Two months after his sixteenth birthday he lied about his age and joined the army. And volunteered to join the newly formed Parachute Regiment. He quickly rose through the ranks, becoming a Corporal.

Sol had displayed an ability for marksmanship being rated expert, and this brought him to the attention of the S O E, Special Operations Executive.

He was asked if he would be interested in returning to Europe for an important mission. Sol jumped at the chance. He was promoted to Sargent.

He underwent intensive training at their training camp in Sussex. Codes, radio, unarmed combat escape and evasion techniques and marksmanship.

He was moved to Bisley, where he received instruction from some of the best rifle shots in Britain at ranges up tp 1500 yards. A rifle was made for him by a gun shop in London, they had measured him and produced a rifle that was basically a SMLE .303 but with a heavier barrel and handmade components. It had a walnut stock with cheek rest and pistol grip and was fitted with a Parker Hale telescopic sight. They also produced special .303 bullets for him to fire.

They finally showed him his target, Reinhardt Heydrich. They showed him files and photographs of the atrocities that he had been responsible for. Sol knew he deserved to die.

He was going to be dropped into Czechoslovakia along with two others to help in the assassination. SOE knew Sol could read and speak Czechoslovakian as well as German from their interviews with him. The date was set for him to go February 15th1943.

Then one week before he was to be dropped, he took a bad tumble on the assault course, breaking his leg and cracking three ribs.

The three others were dropped and eventually succeeded in badly injuring Heydrich so much so that he died from his injuries.

Two who were dropped were betrayed by a member of the resistance and died.

In reprisals the Nazi's killed over 1500 Czech's and raised two villages to the ground.

His orders were changed and he was dropped into Poland in September 1943 along with a radio operator/spotter.

His orders were to attack German High Command Army Officers, SS Officers and Gestapo Officials.

Right from the beginning of his mission Sol decided to trust no one. They would be on their own. Once they began killing they never stayed in the same place. Slipping back into the forest and moving fast to a different location.

They radioed for supplies and batteries for the radio and set up catches of food, ammunition and radio batteries over a wide area of Poland. In amongst the drops would be coded messages of targets, location and habits for elimination.

But with the allies' invasion of Europe, SOE's interest in Poland seemed to wane. So he began to select his own targets. He would visit bars and café's and listen for information, or kidnap SS officers and extract information from them. What methods he used for this he didn't say and Shaun never asked.

By the Wars end over two years later Sol had killed over 127 Germans. Most were SS members and 12 Russians. The Russians were officers from the Army that had stopped outside Warsaw after encouraging the Poles to fight. They stood by whilst the people of Warsaw died.

Sol finally found out through inmates released from Auschwitz that his family had died in the gas chambers.

Disillusioned with Europe and its politicians, Sol decided to go were his people came from, Palestine.

Wearing his Army Parachute smock and carrying his rifle Sol set off for the South of France.

With Europe in turmoil at the end of the war, Sol had no difficulty in reaching Marseille. From there he caught a boat.

He was accepted into the Palmach and he and his rifle began work.

Shaun was deeply moved by Sol's story, he had never shown any emotion while telling it. Never attempting to elaborate more than needs be, just straight forward statements devoid of any embellishments.

His experiences had made him old beyond his years, he had never been a fanatic, but rather a cold calculating killer whose main attribute was patience. He had displayed no emotion when telling Shaun his story, and Shaun knew he was only 23 years old.

Only when Shaun had told him about the fate of the Waffen SS on Tyros did he show any emotion at all, just a tight smile and the word "Good."

***********

The pass was a little over a mile and a half long, Shaun knew. He had selected the second pass surmising that the Egyptians would be expecting the Jews to attack the last pass to try and bottle their advance.

They left the Jeep half a mile from the pass and proceeded on foot, climbing the steep gradient to the top. Shaun began photographing views of the approach road to the entrance, making a note in his notebook of time and location.

It appeared that a guard of ten men and a Sargent guarded it with a machine gun emplacement's either side of the road by the entrance, Shaun made a note of their routine.

Over the next seven days Shaun traversed the length of the pass taking photographs and making notes. The exit was guarded by a strong guard with machine gun emplacements, he also photographed the area after the road left the pass.

Next they moved to the last pass, where as expected an even stronger guard was in evidence. They spent four days there photographing and making more notes, before with water and food running dangerously low, they set off back to the base camp.

Chapter 50

Shaun and Sol arrived back at the base camp in the early hours of the morning, totally exhausted, thirsty and hungry.

Shaun accepted a drink of water before collapsing onto a camp bed and sleeping for ten hours.

He awoke to the smell of bacon frying. "Be about ten minutes Boss, there's tea ready in the pot," Cookie said with a wide smile.

After eating a huge breakfast, Cookie trimmed his beard and hair before Shaun set out for the showers and a shave.

With a fresh set of clothing on him Shaun began to feel more human again. Bobby and Stanley came over to him by the truck.

"So did you have a nice time?" Bobby asked with a wry smile.

"It was interesting." Shaun replied. "So what have you lot been up too?"

"The problem with the Kibbutz's has been resolved." Stanley replied.

"Thirty four Arabs are now actively looking for virgins," Bobby chuckled. "And we found out who the SS Officer is in charge. Otto Krunz, formally of the 8thWaffen SS regiment.

He's a wanted war criminal for the massacre of Polish and Russian civilians as well as American soldiers during the Battle of the Bulge. That's the offences that we know about, god knows what else the bastard was responsible for."

"How did you find that out?" Shaun asked.

There was an Egyptian Captain in charge of the men around the Kibbutz's. One of the lads was related to one of the girls who was killed. He took him to one side and sort off...asked him. He seemed quite willing to talk," Bobby said rolling his eyes.

"Proff is on his why, he's expected in two weeks and oh you have two letters from home," Cookie chimed in.

Shaun nodded, Stanley I have three rolls of film that need developing into 8 by10 photographs, can you arrange that?" Shaun murmured.

"I'll get them to Ari Silverman, he'll know what to do," Stanley replied.

When Bobby and Cookie drifted away, Stanley asked him how he had gotten on with Sol.

"It was hard work at first, but one day he was cleaning his rifle and I commentated on it, so he told me the story behind it. After some gentle probing I got the rest of his story. I was deeply impressed on what he has had to endure in his life."

Stanley chuckled, "He rarely speaks about it, I happened to say to him one day that at least the Gestapo and SS had received a cleaner death than those who went to the gas chambers. He just gave a grim smile and said they didn't, he shot them in the stomach or groin."

Shaun knew with that sort of wound they would have been in agony before death released them.

Shaun took the letters and sat in the cab of the truck to read them.

The first letter from Sharron written in the Z code said how much she missed him and that David was missing his daddy. She went on to say everything at home was fine and that Proff and Ken had finished training the recruits and were now getting the .Jeeps ready for transport. The letter was written in a light hearted manner that masked her obvious concern for him.

The second opened by saying they were going to have a baby. Shaun's eyes misted with happiness at the news. She explained how she had felt unwell and Jasmine had examined her when she returned to the Crater. The rest of the letter was on how she was preparing the house for the new arrival.

********

The next day Shaun began to put his plan into action, he asked Stanley to start preparing a catch of water, food and weapons at the spot he and Sol had used by the second gorge. Bobby was instructed to start training the men in the use of the M40 bazooka and select ten teams who showed the best promise.

Sol was tasked in selecting the best eight men with a rifle and train them in the art of sniping. Cookie was to train a group in making sticky bombs and Molotov Cocktails.

Shaun had explained to Stanley that they would need mortar shells but not the launchers, explaining that they would be dropped down from the top of the gorge.

The days passed and every one was used in in the preparation for the war they all knew was coming. Shaun spent hours examining the maps and consulting his note book, adding comments to it.

Two weeks later Stanley and some of the men left in the Bedford to pick up Proff and the remainder of the Jeeps.

Whilst he was away Ari Silverman arrived with the photographs. After their welcome he said to Shaun, "I've heard the news from Sharron, congratulations," he said with abroad smile.

He then went on to say about the development with United Nations regarding the Mandate. We have stockpiled weapons in Czechoslovakia ready to be shipped here as soon as the British blockade is removed. The UN National Assembly is due to vote in May, so the British Mandate ends on May 15 they should be out by then," Ari explained.

"So we can expect the Egyptians to invade after the vote, assuming it goes your way," Shaun replied.

Ari nodded sadly, "The problem is Shaun we have to keep the road open to Jerusalem, and most of our forces are involved with that task, we can spare you little help here".

"Well," Shaun began, "The threat to the Kibbutz's has been neutralised by Bobby and Stanley's team. The men we sent to guard them have returned now that the men from Palmach have relieved them.

"Stanley has gone to pick up Proff and the remaining eight trainees, as well as the five Jeeps. With the six we have here it will make eleven Jeeps in all. With the eight trainees that will be arriving, our strength including Bobby, Cookie, Proff and myself will come to ninety."

Ari looked worried, "Will that be enough do you think?" He asked.

"I think so Ari, I have the bones of a plan, when Stanley and Proff arrive back we will have a council of war and start to flesh it out. The only problem I foresee is the Egyptian Airforce, their Spitfires could course a problem."

"We have purchased some Czechoslovakian Avia S-199 fighters, they are similar to the Messerschmitt ME-109, perhaps not as good. But we have some ex-Jewish RAF trained pilots and they are good. If you think you will need them, I can make arrangements to have a few on standby for you."

"That's great news Ari, and would solve a major problem for us."

Shaun left Ari to get some sleep after his long journey, and moved down the ravine to see how the training was doing.

Thirteen days later Proff arrived with the remainder of the Jeeps, the eight trainees and Ken.

Shaun was amazed to see him, "What the hell are you doing here?" Was his opening remark.

Ken laughed "Don't blame Proff I insisted on coming, I've helped train these lads. There is no way I wasn't not going to be here for the fight."

After reassuring Shaun that his wife was in full agreement with his decision, they all made their way to the truck where Cookie broke out the Whiskey.

Later Proff handed over some letters and photographs of Sharron and David and the other members of his family. Shaun went to bed that night feeling happy and contented.

While the Bedford was being unloading of the ammunition it had collected from the Iona Star, Shaun called for a council of war at the command post.

Shaun had prepared trestle tables on which the photographs had been laid. Bobby, Cookie, Proff, Ken, Stanley and Sol were all in attendance.

He opened the proceedings by recounting what Ari Silverman had said regarding the UN and the impending vote and the likely date for it to be passed. He let the muttering die down before continuing.

"So gentlemen we have a little over three weeks in which to prepare. I think our best chance of stopping an invading column from Egypt will be here at the second pass.

"I say that because I'm sure the Egyptians will be expecting us to try to stop them at the last pass before the road opens up to more open country. Sol and I did a thorough reconnaissance of the second pass and last one.

But how the battle will play out will depend upon how the enemy attacks. Will he use one column, and if so how long will it be. Or will he use two or even three? Our tactics will depend on knowing that.

I'm hoping that Krunz will use the tried and tested method he is use too, the blitzkrieg. In which case he will go for an out and out attack using speed and his tanks to smash through.

So the prime reason I have called this meeting is to find your thinking on how to proceed?"

The men started looking intently at the photographs and asking Shaun were certain ones were taken in relationship to the pass.

Shaun stepped back after a while and let then argue amongst themselves.

After a few hours of debate Shaun summarised their findings.

"If Krunz adopts the blitzkrieg approach then it will follow his using mechanised infantry in front of the column. If they hit something they can't contain he will bring up his tanks. The question is, how many?

So the most important thing we need is intelligence, of what they have and how they intend to use it. So Stanley we need to get updates from the men at their staging post that information need to arrive faster than our current method, which means using a radio.

I suggest using Proff, based close to the staging post with an 11 set. Communication will have to be in Morse in order to get the range. We will be using Z Code for obvious reasons. Ken will be at our end to receive, I assume you two are up to scratch with Morse and the Z Code? Shaun said looking at them.

They nodded with a sheepish smile.

Shaun continued "I'll leave it up to you to arrange the details of transmission times."

He took Proff to one side later, "I'm sending you for two reasons Proff, first, to find a place where we can insert jeeps between the first and second pass. Second Bobby has more experience in this sort of war, which I will need. I don't need to tell you how vital the information you will pass is, but I don't want any hero's, understand."

Proff smiled, "Don't worry Shaun I'll get the job done and return."

A Jeep was stripped of its guns and in their place extra fuel, water, rations and batteries for the radio were added. Proff set off with a driver as the sun set.

Between them they had worked out several scenarios of how the attack could take place. The men and Jeeps would be split into two groups. Ann and Sue. Named after their old patrol trucks used in the war. Ann will consist of five jeeps and twenty men making a total of thirty five in total.

Sue will be the same in jeeps and men. Fourteen men will be assigned to the top of the gorge. Bobby, Stanley and I will lead Ann. Proff and Cookie will lead Sue. Ken will be in charge of radios. Sol will be in charge on top of the gorge. This arrangement could change dependent on information received.

Bobby had selected the best teams to fire the M40 Bazooka so four were assigned to Sue and six to Ann. Which meant that twelve of Bobby's men would be bazooka teams, and eight of Sue's team would be bazooka teams.

But in all the scenarios the one overriding point was the tanks had to be eliminated. Shaun discussed this with Bobby.

"We need to draw them out from the pass, the infantry will initially be in front but if they run into trouble, they'll call up the tanks." Shaun produced the photograph of the ground beyond the exit of the pass.

"The ground is fairly open for about a mile beyond the exit, if we prepare positions for the bazooka teams so they can take them from the rear that should sort them out. The problem will be the infantry attacking the bazooka teams as they will be behind the tanks."

Bobby nodded, "I'd already thought of that, we will need to make positions between the exit and the bazooka team's positions. They can have a Vickers K which we can take from each Jeep, but it leaves me three men short to have a loader in each position."

"You can take three from the group on top of the gorge, in fact thinking about it have eight, that way you will have three men in each of the five positions. So where would you put them?"

Whilst Bobby studded the photograph. Shaun turned to Cookie, "Your job is to bottle up the entrance to the pass once they are all in. The problem is we don't know how long the column will be, or if any tanks will be at the back of it. So to some extent you may have to develop tactics to suite the occasion. But you will need to prepare positions for your troops on the ground."

Shaun passed over a photograph of the ground leading up to the entrance to Cookie, to study.

"Sol your snipers have to take out the machine gunners at the fixed position at either end of the pass, as well as the MG 42 gunners on the tracked vehicles."

Sol nodded "No problem Shaun," he murmured softly.

"Cookie and Ken will be at either end of the pass with a truck, the twin 50cals and mortars will support your attacks. We will be stretched regarding man power".

That night men began to prepare positions at either end of the pass under the supervision of Bobby and Stanley, as each position was completed it was carefully camouflaged and checked. It took eight nights work before it was all completed.

RobinLane
RobinLane
337 Followers
12