The Way You Say My Name Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
wavyscribe
wavyscribe
1,089 Followers

Douglas folded his arms over his chest. “I might have known Heath was involved in this, somehow. He doesn’t have time to come and see his parents, but he’s conveniently on call to pick his brother up from jail.”

Angela put her hand on her husband’s shoulder. “Well, I for one, am glad he was home. I hate the thought of him having to spend all weekend down at the sheriff’s station.” She looked towards her son. “Dillon, I want you to go upstairs while your father and I discuss a suitable punishment.”

Dillon started to stand, but Douglas stopped him. “That won’t be necessary. There’ll be no punishment this time.”

His mother looked as shocked as Dillon was. “Douglas, we have to do something. This type of behavior is intolerable.”

“Boys fight, Angela. And given the nature of the fight itself, I think it’s safe to say it won’t happen again. I’m just thankful that Dillon no longer associates with that Walker boy. I have no doubt that he was a large part of this whole fracas.”

“James didn’t do one thing wrong, Dad. Not a single thing. And as far as breaking off my friendship with him goes, that’s the worst mistake I ever made.”

Doug laughed, the mockery so thick in his voice Dillon felt ill. “Why? What did he ever do for you?”

Dillon was so tempted to tell him, but he forced himself to wait. For his plan to work, his timing had to be just right. Ignoring his father, he said, “If that’s all, I’d like to be excused.”

His father said, “No, that’s not all. I believe I asked you a question.”

Angela cut in. “Let him go, Doug. I think we’ve done enough talking for one night, and, Dillon, I’m sure you have homework.”

He didn’t, but that didn’t stop Dillon from nodding his head and leaving the room. He had to get out of there before his father said another word.

#

Jamie cursed under his breath and pulled his coat tighter around his neck. The gap between his scarf and his collar was just enough to let the thirty-three degree temperature seep into his skin. No matter how many layers he wore, there was nothing he could do to combat the cold as he started the three-block-walk to school. He could have called Aunt Sadie to come and take him, but he hated to bother her. Since she’d retired from her nursing job two years ago, she did her best to stay busy with other things. Today was her day to volunteer at the public library, and she’d already left by the time Jamie realized Ben wasn’t gonna show. He’d be late, but there was no help for it. The temperature was actually high for February, and thankfully, it wasn’t snowing. Snuggling into his clothing, he set a fast pace and took off. He’d made it almost to the end of the first block when he heard a car pull up beside him, and a familiar voice say, “Get in.”

Jamie bent down to peer through into the rolled-down passenger window of the Lumina. Giving Dillon the most nonchalant look he could manage with his teeth chattering as they were, he said, “No, thanks. It’s not that far, and I don’t mind walking. Ben’s probably just running late. I’m sure he’ll stop and pick me up on the way to school.”

Dillon blew out the breath he’d just taken in, sending little clouds of smoke swirling out the open window and through the frigid air. “Christ, Jamie--I mean, James--you’re gonna freeze out here. Just get in the car. You can meet up with Lewis at school.”

Dillon must have seen the indecision on Jamie’s face, because he said, “I’m not gonna molest you, man. I swear. All I want to do is give you a ride to school. I meant what I said yesterday. No pressure.”

Jamie felt himself giving in, but the truth was, it wasn’t a hard decision to make. Yesterday at his house, he’d found himself aching to believe what Dillon said was true. Even after all the hurt Dillon had caused, Jamie had never stopped hoping he and Dillon could have something together. He was scared to let himself trust Dillon again, but that didn’t stop the butterflies that raced around his stomach every time he saw the guy, nor did it stop him from weaving dreams of a future with Dillon in a starring role. While all of this was waging a war inside his head, he failed to notice that Dillon had put the car in park and gotten out.

Dillon walked around to where Jamie was standing and opened the passenger door. Ever so gently, he tugged on Jamie’s arm with his left hand, urging him towards the car. “Come on, James. Please, get in the car.” When Jamie still hesitated, Dillon, without ever letting go of Jamie’s arm, stuck the glove of his right hand in his mouth and tugged it free with his teeth. He removed it from his mouth and stuffed it into his coat pocket. Then, with fingertips so tender Jamie wanted to moan, Dillon traced small circles on each of Jamie’s wind reddened cheeks. “Oh, babe, you’re almost frozen. Let me see if I can help.” Then, before Jamie could protest, Dillon leaned forward so that they were almost touching--so close that Jamie could feel the heat from Dillon’s skin. As Jamie stood before him in frozen silence, Dillon opened his mouth and huffed warm air onto Jamie’s cold cheeks.

Jamie was too stunned to say a word, but Dillon remained at his task. When he seemed satisfied that Jamie’s skin was warmer, Dillon again pulled him towards the car. “Come on. The car is nice and warm, and I want to get you out of this wind.” This time, Jamie went without protest.

The ride to school was mostly quiet, but, to Jamie’s surprise, it wasn’t an uncomfortable silence. He could still feel Dillon’s warm breath on his cheeks, still feel the moist heat from his body. And the fact that Dillon had done all that on a busy street didn’t escape him, either. Anyone could have seen them, and Dillon didn’t seem to care. Before he had time to reason it all through, Dillon was pulling the car into the senior parking lot.

Jamie started to get out, but stopped short of opening the door. Turning to Dillon, he said, “Thanks for the ride. And thanks for, um, warming me up.” He was mortified to feel himself blush.

Dillon’s grin caused the blush to grow. “You’re more than welcome for the ride. And as for the warming up, well, that was pure pleasure on my part.” He laughed as Jamie felt his face flame. “I always loved the way you blush. God, you’re cute.”

Jamie didn’t know what to say, but he couldn’t stop the smile that lit his face. Here he was, eighteen-years-old, and blushing like some ten-year-old kid. Giving Dillon one last muttered thanks, he started to get out. Dillon reached out his hand and stopped him. “James?”

“Yeah?”

“I know you usually eat lunch with Lewis, but I was hoping you might eat with me. I mean, I don’t see Lewis’s car, and it looks like he’s not gonna show. And even if he does, I was hoping you might go off campus with me and grab a bite to eat, anyway. I was thinking we might go to Hailey’s. We both have fourth period lunch and a free period afterwards, which means we’d have over an hour and a half before we actually had to be back in class.”

Jamie raised his brows. “How did you know I have a free period after lunch?”

It was Dillon’s turn to blush, and Jamie had to admit, it looked adorable on him. “I, uh, had Megan check your schedule.”

That little bit of knowledge did more to warm Jamie than any amount of heat ever could. “Just lunch? That’s all your asking for?”

“Just lunch.”

Jamie’s head told him to say no, but his heart answered before his brain could shut it up. “Okay. Where do you want to meet?”

“How about meeting me at my car after third period?”

Jamie nodded. “I’ll be here.” He got out of the car, carrying the image of Dillon’s triumphant grin with him.

His first three classes seemed to drag on forever. Though he tried to fight it, Jamie found himself getting excited about the prospect of spending an hour and a half with Dillon. It was the same thrill he used to feel when he knew he and Dillon would be spending the day together. He’d fallen in love with Dillon Carver when he was just barely eleven years old, even though it took him three years to work up the nerve to tell him so. It was amazing that after all this time, and after all the heartache, Jamie still felt an electrical shock zing up his spine every time he saw Dillon’s face.

When the third period ending bell rang, Jamie all but flew towards the parking lot. He’d almost made it to the double doors when a tug on his coat sleeve stopped him. He turned around to see the soft blue eyes of Megan Nash staring up at him.

His first reaction was panic. Dillon had lied to him. Megan was here to warn him off. All those things Ben had said at the dance were probably true. Dillon just wanted Jamie for a side dish while waiting for Megan to become the main course. God, how could he have been stupid enough to trust him again? He was just about to go from panic to anger when Megan spoke.

“Dillon sent me to keep you company until he gets here. His mother caught him after class and asked him to move some boxes from the teacher’s supply closet down to her class room. It’ll only take a second, but he didn’t want you to think he was standing you up for your lunch date.”

Jamie cleared his throat. “Date? He called it a date?”

Megan smiled. “Of course that’s what he called it.” When Jamie made no response, her face fell. “Was I not supposed to say that? He told me you guys were taking it slow. I didn’t mean to screw this up. Damn, damn, damn.”

All the relief Jamie felt knowing that Megan knew, that Dillon hadn’t lied, bubbled up and coupled with the natural hilarity of Megan’s muttered curses. He burst out laughing. Megan watched him for a full minute before she also got caught up and started laughing, too. When they’d both calmed, she said, “Does that mean you’re not mad?”

Though Jamie had known Megan for years, he couldn’t recall ever actually having a conversation with her before. It wasn’t that he didn’t like her, they just ran in different circles. For some reason though, he found himself opening up.

“No, I’m not mad. I’m relieved to tell you the truth. When I saw you standing there, I thought maybe. . .”

Megan was nothing if not quick. “Oh, no. You thought I was coming to tell you to back off. No wonder you had that look on your face. You poor thing. I’m so sorry.”

“No, don’t apologize. You didn’t do anything. It’s just something I’m gonna have to deal with.”

“Does that mean you’re gonna give Dillon another chance?”

“Damn. You ask the tough questions, don’t you? I wish I could answer you, but I honestly don’t know yet.”

Megan nodded. “Perfectly understandable. But, for what it’s worth, I’m rooting for you guys.”

Her sincerity made Jamie feel at ease, like they’d been friends for years or something. “Thanks, Megan. That means a lot to me.”

Dillon came up from the back hallway. “What means a lot to you?”

Megan stepped in. “Lunch.” She gave Jamie a wink that only he could see. “Lunch means the world to him, Dillon. Look at him. The boy is skin and bones. Go. Feed him.” She gave Dillon a peck on the cheek, then stunned Jamie by doing the same to him. Before either could say anything to her, she was gone.

Jamie just shook his head. “I like her. She’s a firecracker.”

“That she is.” Dillon pointed to the door. “You ready to go? I think I promised you lunch. According to Megan, you’re gonna waste away if I don’t get you to Hailey’s soon.”

Jamie nodded, and they left. The ride to Hailey’s was much like the ride to school, silent but comfortable. Jamie played with the radio while Dillon sung along in that off-key squeak of his. Dillon pulled up to the curb and threw the car in park. They got out of the car and started towards the front of the restaurant, but Jamie stopped just short of opening the door. “Are you sure you want to do this?”

“What, eat lunch? I sure do. I’m starving.”

“That’s not what I meant.”

Dillon sighed and stopped walking. “I know what you meant, and the answer is yes. In the first place, it’s not like we’re gonna have sex on the lunch counter. We’re just two friends having lunch together. And like I told you before, I could care less what anyone thinks. Well, anyone but you, that is. Now, can we please go in and eat? I wasn’t kidding about the starving part.”

Jamie followed him inside, content just to be with him. Hailey’s Cafe never seemed to change a bit, the very epitome of a small town restaurant. Same old white vinyl covered booths, same old stools and blue checkered table cloths. The enticing smells coming from the kitchen were enough to drive a hungry man insane, as evidenced by the near packed house. Hailey Johnson, the owner, met them at the door. The blue-eyed blond had a thousand-watt smile and a warm manner that had broken many a heart. “Hi, guys. Would you like a table, or are you going to sit at the counter?”

Leaving Jamie standing in the doorway, Dillon stepped forward and whispered in her ear. Jamie saw her smile and nod. When Dillon stepped back to Jamie’s side, Hailey said, “Follow me, boys. It’s awful crowded in here. I thought you might like to eat in The Party Room.”

The Party Room was just that, primarily reserved for the large luncheons and dinners Hailey often catered. It was also separated from the rest of the Café by a thick blue curtain. Hailey led them through and seated them at a booth on the far wall. Before Jamie sat down, Dillon helped him remove his coat. After Dillon removed his own heavy barn jacket and set them both on a nearby empty table, Jamie expected Dillon to take the seat across from him. Once again, though, Dillon surprised him by sliding in on the same side.

Hailey offered menus, but neither needed them. After ordering two plates full of Hailey’s spicy chicken fingers and fries with Cokes to wash them down, Dillon and Jamie settled in to wait.

Pulling a napkin out of one of the old-fashioned chrome holders and, twisting it into a ball with his fingers, Dillon said, “I hope eating back here was okay with you.”

“Why wouldn’t it be?” He took in the familiar knotty-pine paneling and the Norman Rockwell reproductions on the walls. “I love this place.”

Dillon turned to face him, so close they were practically nose to nose. “I didn’t mean the café. I meant eating back here, alone.”

Jamie was surprised at how husky his own voice sounded. “I think it’s nice.”

Dillon leaned in even closer. “That’s why I asked Hailey to put us back here. I didn’t want you to think I was ashamed to be seen with you. That’s not it. I just wanted you all to myself.” His sweet, hot breath fanned Jamie’s face.

Oh, God. Jamie could feel himself getting hard, his rising erection pressing against the rough denim of his jeans. He stared at Dillon’s mouth, wondering what his lips would taste like. In the past, Dillon had resisted all of Jamie’s efforts to kiss him. Would this new Dillon--the one who always seemed to know exactly the right thing to say, the one who could make Jamie hard with just a glance--would this new Dillon push him away were he to lean forward just a quarter of an inch and taste him? As afraid as he was to know the answer, Jamie had just about decided to go ahead and test the theory when Hailey came back with their Cokes. The boys broke apart in an instant.

If she noticed the sexual tension in the air, Hailey didn’t let on. “Your food should be out in two shakes, guys. Can I get you anything while you wait?”

With his eyes still fastened on Jamie, Dillon said, “Nothing for me. I have everything I need, thanks.”

Hailey grinned. “I can see that. I’ll leave you guys alone then.” She left unnoticed.

Jamie swallowed. “Dillon, I-- I’m not sure what to say.”

Dillon drew in a ragged breath and turned away a bit. “You don’t have to say it, James. I already know. I’m pushing too hard, damn it. I swear to God I’m trying not to, but being this close to you again is making me crazy.”

In a bold move that surprised them both, Jamie picked up Dillon’s hand and squeezed it. “You’re not pushing. This new you is just taking me a while to get used to.” When Dillon looked uncertain, Jamie turned his hand over and made little circles on Dillon’s palm with his fingers. He delighted in the little shudders he felt running through Dillon’s body. “Don’t get me wrong. I like it. Just give me time to adjust.”

Dillon laced his fingers through Jamie’s. “That’s all I needed to hear.” Just as he was about to say more, the food arrived, cutting off further conversation. The obvious reluctance with which Dillon released his hand made Jamie’s heart beat a little faster. Damn. If lunch with Dillon was this good, Jamie couldn’t wait for dinner.

#

The ride back to school was more like a walk down memory lane. Dillon couldn’t ever remember feeling closer to Jamie than he did at that moment. They talked about everything and nothing, just as they’d done so many times in the past. Two years melted away, and Dillon began hoping that, in time, all the pain he’d caused would dissolve as well.

He studied Jamie out of the corner of his eye as he drove. He followed the elegant curve of Jamie’s chin, the slight tilt of his ski jump nose. His body responded as Jamie laughed at something he’s said, the rich, gravely sound vibrating deep within him. It was bad enough that he’d had a hard-on all through lunch, but Dillon would be damned before he’d walk into the school with one. He willed himself to relax as he whipped into the parking lot.

Jamie slipped on his gloves. “I really enjoyed lunch. I still wish you’d at least let me pay for my half.”

“No way. You were my. . .” He trailed off, afraid to say the “D” word.

Jamie grinned. “All right, but I get to pay next time. I just hope you’re a cheap date.”

Did he hear him right? “Next time?”

Jamie’s glorious eyes clouded. “Well, yeah. That is, if you want to.”

Dillon lifted Jamie’s chin with one finger. “All right. You can pay next time.”

Jamie’s smile did nothing to ease the ache in Dillon’s jeans. He looked down at his watch. “We’d better go on in. We’ve got like ten minutes until the fifth period bell, and I still have to run down to my locker.”

Dillon nodded. “Can I give you a ride home this afternoon? I don’t have to be at the drugstore until four, so I’ll have plenty of time.”

This time there was no hesitation on Jamie’s part. “I’d like that. Meet you at the lockers?”

“You know it.”

Dillon was so high on thoughts of seeing Jamie after school that he barely remembered walking back into the building. Nor could he recall a single thing Mrs. Murdock, his geometry teacher, said during the fifth period class. When the bell rang, he practically raced out of the room, anxious to get the day over with and get to Jamie. He ducked into the bathroom, did his thing, and headed to class.

His last class, Government, was usually a snooze fest. Mr. Whitewood, the teacher, was a nice enough guy, but he spoke with one of those monotone voices that had the power to put anyone to sleep in a matter of seconds. Dillon walked in, expecting to find everyone in their seats and preparing for their afternoon nap. Instead, he saw chaos.

Clusters of weeping girls, whispering and dabbing at their eyes, stood huddled at various points throughout the room. He saw a group of jocks in the corner, Rooster Carmichael among them, his meaty face as red as his scrubby hair. He was laughing and saying something, but Dillon couldn’t tell what. The rest of the students were scattered into groups, chatting in corners or sitting on desks and speaking in hushed tones. He waited for Whitewood to call them to order, but after a quick visual search of the room, found no sign of the pudgy little teacher.

The door swung open and a breathless Megan rushed in, heading straight to Dillon. “Oh, thank God. I came in here a minute ago and couldn’t find you. Where have you been?”

“I stopped by the bathroom. What’s up? Why is it like a funeral home in here?”

wavyscribe
wavyscribe
1,089 Followers