The Weekend Pt. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Bugger, I thought. I wish she'd told me earlier. My feeling of unease didn't go away so after a few minutes I texted her.

'Lambs in the oven. Will be ready @ 7:30 latest. U sure you'll be here by then? Can try and delay if you're going to be late. Need a number for Gillian to let her know we are running late.'

I waited but got no reply so fifteen minutes later I called her. I got her voice mail box straight away. I looked at my phone in surprise, I couldn't remember a time when she hadn't answered me within half a dozen rings. I left a quick message asking her to confirm what time she would get back.

I don't know why but then I decided to call Janice her assistant. A strange voice answered. I was surprised when she said that Karen wasn't in the office and she didn't know when she'd be back, but she'd take a message. I asked her to get a message to her saying she needed to call me urgently.

"And who should I tell her to call," she said offhandedly.

"Her husband, she knows the number."

There was a gasp and then for a moment there was silence from her end. "Ohh," and then she paused again, finally saying, "Mr den Jong, I thought you knew, she had a meeting in London with a client. We're not expecting her back today."

I hung up and stared blankly at my glass of wine. What the fuck was going on. I thought about the message she'd left me. 'Swamped in office. Got a late meeting that's gonna overrun'. I left her a second message on her voice mail.

"Just where the hell are you because apparently you're not in your office. I don't like being lied to. Call me back now!"

I sent a similar text message and sat back. An hour and a half later I was still sitting there. The bottle of wine was empty and my phone was silent. The aroma of roasting lamb stirred me into action. I felt I was on autopilot as I checked the food and prepared the couscous.

Seven o'clock rolled around and still there as no sight or sound from either of them. I decided to leave another message.

"Karen, where the fuck are you? You weren't in your office this afternoon and I'm getting worried. You need to call me."

Eight o'clock and I sat staring at the food growing cold on the table. By now my mind was numb. I couldn't work out what was going on. I served myself a plate, but all I did was push the food around, then I had a horrific thought.

I scrabbled for my laptop and checked out the local traffic news. I breathed a sigh of relief when there were no major accidents reported. Then I realise I'd almost hoped that an accident was the reason she was so late because otherwise...

I called the Dorchester and tried in vain to get put through to Gillian's suite. They wouldn't even admit she was a guest, let alone take a message.

I left several more messages for Karen. The tone grew more frantic and aggressive with each one.

Nine o'clock and I was beginning to suspect that my marriage was over. I needed some fresh air and I walked out of the cottage and made my way across the village green. I sat down on the bench by the cricket pavilion and for a long while, I sat gazing at the night sky. There was no moon and the stars flickered brightly.

I began to believe that there was only one conclusion I could come to. At some point, she'd decided to fulfil her desire and spend the weekend with Gillian. Perversely I hoped it had been a decision she'd made during the day. Because otherwise all the sex and loving last night and this morning had been an act and that would hurt even more.

Finally, as the falling dew began chilling my bones, I stood and hesitated for a few moments, full of indecision. Before slowly making my way into the pub. For late on a Friday night it was rather quiet. I saw Philip by the bar and he motioned me over. I wasn't interested in talking so shook my head and found an armchair by the unlit fire. I sipped at the beer I couldn't recall ordering.

I felt a presence beside me and looked up to see Carol watching me intently.

"What's up love? You look so solemn."

I indicated the seat beside me and she sat down. "I think that Karen's left me," I said.

"What!"

"I said I think she's left me, Carol."

"Don't be daft Son, she loves you. There's no way she'd ever leave you."

"I'm not so sure, I'm not the only person she loves."

Carol's mouth opened, but she uttered no words.

Oh what the fuck I thought, in for a penny, in for a pound. "On Wednesday, she told me she wanted to go away for the weekend with her lover. You met her last night."

"Lover...her!....You....you mean Gillian Faith?"

I nodded, "Yah, apparently they were lovers at university, and it looks like they've decided to reconnect. I just don't understand it, Carol. This morning I was sure she loved me. Now I've no idea who or where she is..."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To be continued

Please don't forget to vote.

Andyhm