The Were that Wasn't

Story Info
Orphan finds she is more than she ever dreamed.
2.1k words
4.45
9.4k
40
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The fragile infant wailed as the fire raged around it, seeming to imitate the mouth of hell itself. Smoke billowed and sparks flew from all directions. Creaking beams and shattering glass announced the old building wasn't ready to give up its prize just yet. A small band of men and women out for a night stroll, saw the smoke rising in the distance along with the smell of burning wood raced towards to the source.

Faster Faster there's no time.

The older woman chanted in her head as she pressed on towards the distressed sounds of the infant. She had to get there now, she willed her tired legs to move on despite the pain cramping her muscles and the flames licking at her skin. She came across the screaming child in the midst of the blaze, somehow still untouched by the searing heat. The small bundle quieted immediately and stared in wonder as the strong woman carried her out.

"I want her Thomas." The elder woman stated. He knew not to argue with that tone of voice as he looked down on the babe that was surely a miracle. Strong feelings of care and pride swept over him.

"I know Hun, I feel it too. She is ours." he murmured. The once noble manor suddenly collapsed in a heap of smoke and scattered debris, as though content that the treasure it had been protecting was now safe.

*****Some Years Later******

In the depths of the forest a young woman dangled from a branch by one hand, swinging with ease. A smile creeping across her face as she climbed yet higher in the proud standing tree. It was a sunny spring day, the kind when the sun is warm and the breeze just cool enough to be refreshing. She reached the next branch and stopped to look down at the young male who seemed to be struggling to keep up.

"Come on Dale shake a leg, you're supposed to be my big brother remember?" The woman teased.

"Yeah big is right, I go any higher and those branches are going to snap. I weigh more then you, remember Em?"

She shrugged and dropped, gracefully perched on the branch next to him. "Oh fine then you big baby lets go."

Dale leaped to the ground first then Em followed in her usual fashion, landing squarely on him.

"Um-pf, you know I really hate when you do that."

She feigned an exaggerated innocent look. "I haven't the faintest idea what your talking about bro."

After a quick grin she then bolted like a rocket towards home taunting over her shoulder "Catch me if you can. ". Dale darted off in chase then after a few moments realized he wasn't going to catch up without some help. He stopped to shimmy out of his tracksuit then got down all fours, a few moments later there stood a large shaggy brown wolf with deep green eyes. The wolf howled and bounded off determined this time not to be beat.

Twigs snapped and the leaves crunched under Em's graceful feet. She heard the howl and increased her pace. "Cheater." she muttered under her breath. Dale now in wolf form was gaining ground. She pressed harder now not wanting to see the arrogant look on his face if he did win.

The first glimpses of home came into her view. A small water fountain appeared with a weathered stone wolf sitting on its haunches howling, the water gushing from its open mouth. She glimpsed the large fire pit lined with heavy slabs of granite, used during the warm months for sacred ceremonies and sometimes social gatherings, as she sped along the path. Finally she reached the ornately carved wooden doors to her home. She spun around victoriously, only to be tackled by the panting brown wolf.

"You're a cheater Dale, no shifting!" she shouted as he changed back to human form.

"Hey I had to give myself a fighting chance at least, not my fault you can't shift!" he shouted, before faltering as his cheeks heated with shame. "Look Em I-I didn't mean ... I'm sorry" he stammered desperately.

Em didn't even turn around as he called after her, storming angrily into the house she had grown up in and slamming the heavy oak door behind her. The other pack members blurred around her as the tears trickled unheeded down her face. She rounded a corner and fled up a flight of stairs, into her room before sinking down in front of the fireplace with its merrily flickering blaze. Em always had a fire going in her room. She loved the warmth and light it gave her, but most of all she enjoyed the calming effect it seemed to have on her.

Lost in her thoughts she didn't here the soft click of her door open then shut again. "Ember darling whats wrong?" Juliana her mother gently sat down next to the fire as well. Em jumped at the soft voice, but quickly calmed realizing its source. "Oh! Geez ma you scared me... eh its nothing really just Dale being, well himself."

"Ah I see, what did he do this time?"

"Nothing that he hasn't done before its just..I-I'm not sure he just got to me today that's all I just don't understand why I'm not the others."

"You know I can't answer that honey"

Ember mumbled "I know no one can. Why me? How can I be as strong and fast as everyone else, yet I can't shift or project my thoughts like the rest of the pack? Why did you find me all those years ago in the woods, why did you take me in, why can't anybody tell me who or where I came from?" The last bit came out as a squeak. Her tears started to spill again as she leaned into her mothers lap. The older woman rubbed her daughters back gently trying to sooth her.

"The answers will come my darling"

"When though Mom how long will I be like this?"

Julian had no answer for this so instead just assured her the answers would come one day most likely when she least expected it.

8 Years Later

The forest was alive with feeling it was the first day of summer and with it came a grand festival for the Silver pack and for that matter any neighboring packs around. This was the time of year Ember Silver lived for. Warm sun, food being cooked outdoors, the laughter of children and adults like. Everywhere people where talking, laughing, eating, some in were form, some in human, some clothed some not. Nudity was not an issue with Weres, though some of the other attendees to the festival might not agree most just chose to ignore it.

"Madam Alpha a great turn out." A young male were commented. His name was Devin a member of a pride that bordered the Silver pack. He was tall and broad shouldered being a were-panther though made him sleek as well. Julianna smiled "Yes well I hoped the turn out would be pleasant." Ember stood next to her Mother watching the festival with a small grin across her face.

She turned to look to at a pack of males facing off. She saw a large golden blonde male with liquid eyes of azurite stone swerve and grin in a confident fashion in her direction. Logan saw Ember and his wolf howled inside his head, 'That one! She's the one!'

Ember smiled briefly then turned away. 'Why did I smile at him?' she wondered to herself. 'I don't smile to random guys'. She turned away feeling the heat in her cheeks rise.

Just then one of the males in the sparring group took that moment to lunge at Logan catching him off guard. Logan crashed to ground and looked up just in time to see the well formed female, blush then turn from him.

Shit!! Now I feel like a complete dumb ass. Get it together man! He reprimanded himself.

Logan jumped up from the blind side assault and retaliated with a swift bite and a long low growl. The offending male quickly realized his mistake by taunting the more experienced and much bigger wolf. Logan grinned and excused himself from the friendly match.

Julianna watched from her side view silently chuckling at her daughters obvious display of interest.

About time she thought to herself.

"So Em how are you enjoying the festival? Julianna stated in a knowing fashion.

"Oh um, yeah great ma great." Ember struggled still picturing the husky male.

"Em we have some visitors from the UK but one is the Alpha from the Adoset pack. I need you to show him around I have other pack members to attend to"

Ember eyes went wide "Me but I- I am umm Me?"

"Yes darling you are an Alphas daughter its time you started your duties." Her mother retorted.

Ember shook head to clear her senses. "Yeah you're right ok which one is he?"

Julianna gave an almost transparent smile as she pointed to Logan.

"He's the Alpha? Why can't Dale do it? He's next in line!" She nearly screeched.

"Because I asked you, it's time to show the pack you are an Alpha."

"But Ma I can't."

"Why Em? You are more than ready you can dictate your way out of just about any situation."

"I well I-I just can't ok!"

"No It's not ok now go over there and show the Alpha around!"

Ember cringed at her mother's raised voice and sighed defeated "Fine!" as she stormed off to find him.

Ember was just turning a corner when she literally ran into him. "now who the hell-" she stopped mid way. The blue eyes held her as her mouth went dry any and all functions involving her brain or motors functions ceased to exist. Her eyes glazed over and she suddenly saw a young woman standing before her, she appeared to be looking for something frantically, the vision shifted Ember then saw some kind of cave and just inside it seemed to be glowing everything in it called to her. Logan just stood there wondering if in fact the small female form in front of him had indeed hit her head and now needed a doctor.

"Hey -hey you alright?" Logan shook her a little. Ember blinked and the vision became so bright she had to shut her eyes, with that it was gone from her sight as well as her mind. She shook her head.

"Yes, yes I'm fine besides the fact a walking brick wall just hit me" she grumbled.

"Perhaps you need glasses." He replied with a grin.

"No my vision is just fine thank you, I just wasn't looking for a walking building try a bell!"

"You sure you're ok? You seemed a little dazed for a bit there."

"Yeah fine." Ember huffed, then finally remembering her task "You are the Alpha Adoset correct?" she asked as she tried to smooth her hair back into a more respectable manner.

"That's what they tell me yes. So what I can do for you Miss Alpha?"

"I- I'm here to show you around the pack lands." she suddenly stammered. Get a grip on yourself! Sure He's an Alpha, sure he is hot but for gawd's sake take control!."

"Gawd she smells good" Logan hummed to himself. Logan's wolf yipped and jumped in agreement inside is head.

Ember schooled her looks and steadied her voice before speaking again. "I would be happy to show you our grounds if you would like Alpha Adoset?"

"Just Logan please Alpha is so formal" his bright eyes with a hint of humor.

Ember smiled her best professional smile and extended her hand "Nice to meet you Logan, I'm Ember".

Logan frowned at bit at her suddenly although friendly but very formal manner, he decided not to question it being content to be near her.

The land belonging to Silver pack was sizable in comparison to other packs. Large cliffs with fabulous views and beautiful waterfalls dotted the land. As with all the packs large expanses of forest covered most of the lands to allow for hunting and more importantly for a nice long run when the untamed side called for it. Ember spent the next few hours pointing out landmarks and various points of interest that had been drilled into her as a child. Logan was the complete and utter manifestation of an attentive foreign diplomat asking questions and making the correct remarks as the obviously nervous female led him around.