The Witch of Dark Hollow

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Sabledrake
Sabledrake
1,491 Followers

**

"A visitor, witch," snarled one of the gaolers.

Judith Greene looked up through matted strands of once silken hair. She knew this man. Her neighbor. Knew his wife, his family. They had taken dinner together. And tomorrow, without so much as a flicker of remorse, he'd kick the barrel from her feet and watch her die.

"I advised against it," he added. "She says she's not afraid, though by God she should be! If not even a godly man as the parson is safe from your witchery …"

"I am no witch," she said. As she had said a thousand times, and would say a thousand times more, and it would avail her nothing.

"A wrong move, a wrong word, so much as a wronglook," the gaoler said, "and you needn't wait for the noose. There's straw enough in that cell, one good spark and you'd burn alive. Ask me, it's what you deserve."

She bowed her head again, and tried to hold back the tears that wanted to flow from her eyes. Evidently having had his say, the gaoler retreated. She heard him mutter to someone, and a woman replying. New footsteps drew near.

"Judith."

Her gaze rose to take in the sight of the parson's sister. Sarah, more severe and pallid than ever in the harsh black of mourning, stared dispassionately at her through the bars.

"I heard of your brother. The parson was a good man. I am sorry."

"Sorry?" Her voice was sharp as a dagger. "My brother, a man of the cloth, was found dead and half-naked. My maidservant, Leah, is still insensate and might never recover her wits. And you dare to tell me 'sorry' … I spit on your sorry!"

"It was not my doing."

"What else but a witch's spell could have done such a thing? The magistrate says that they sounded like wild animals. By the time he could reach them, it was too late to intervene. Too late to save my brother's life, let alone his soul! You worked your dark magic upon them to prevent Leah's testimony!"

"What must I do to prove that I am no witch?" sobbed Judith. "I have recited the Lord's Prayer a dozen times, I have pressed the Holy Bible to my brow –"

"Which means only that your dark master protects you," Sarah said. "His favorite. His whore! You thought yourself so clever, but killing my brother and reducing Leah to a gibbering lunatic will not save you. It has only driven the last nail. You hang tomorrow, Judith. And then you burn."

She spun and marched out, head held high and pointed chin haughtily outthrust. As she left the gaol, and passed the gallows where a ready noose already hung, Sarah Parsons laughed.

A high, shrill laugh. Like fingernails on a slate.

**

The End

Sabledrake
Sabledrake
1,491 Followers