The Wolf's Call to the Moon Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I've received some information that a team of archaeologist have successfully excavated the tomb of an unknown pair. My scholars have been following their academic reports quite extensively and I have my suspicions as to what they are but I need to be sure."

Alexander, the reigning Alpha of the European clan looked at her with worry in his eyes. He knew that Alkina's clans were renown for their intellect - they produced classes of teachers and scholars but without actual hard proof, it would be difficult for the Council members to sanction any actions. He knew that she was aware of that.

"Let us be sure what it is they have uncovered. I'll send the scouts."

***

The days following her temporary amnesia, Mallory knew she was being courted. Flowers began arriving on her desk every Monday and she would always find little sweet treats magically appearing in her backpack.

However the man himself was never imposing; always waiting for her to come to him instead of constantly being in her way.

But more importantly, he didn't make his courtship affect how he treated her as a colleague. He still valued her opinion as a researcher and made no distinction between her and their other colleagues - that included shouting at her when she was late with her submissions.

"Why are you so pensive, Mal?" asked Odessa as she leaned against Mallory's desk. It was a particularly cold night and Mallory was spending it rushing some reports in preparation for their return to London that weekend. "I should think you'd be smiling to yourself silly, beaming with happiness."

Looking up lazily, Mallory cocked her head slightly, "And why should I?"

Odessa rolled her eyes. "Obviously not because Jamie's shagging a dead mummy!"

"Well, he's not shagging me either..." thought Mallory although images of sweaty bodies and ragged breaths permeated her mind.

Odessa was about to chide her further when Jamie gave a gentle knock on the door. Realising that she was intruding, Odessa promptly excused herself.

Flashing her a warm smile, he turned his gaze to Mallory. "I was wondering if you'd like to get dinner?"

"No, that's okay. I was planning to stay a little more to finish this report, lest you shout at me again."

Jamie gave a small laugh as he made his way across the room beside her. Tilting her chin up, he looked longingly into her eyes before pressing a gentle kiss on her lips.

"Stop resisting Mallory... It makes it so much more painful for me."

She made no comment to his statement and resumed working on the report at hand. "I'll email this to you once I'm done. Goodnight Jamie."

Acknowledging that he was being dismissed, Jamie stepped back quietly; the fury within him kept in check only by the fact that she was human.

***

From the darkness, Clayton watched in rage as the wretched Risen touched his Mallory, claiming rights that he shouldn't have. His only consolation was that Mallory had seemed unfazed by the Risen's affection and bore none of the rust-like scent of a recently marked Vampire - that at least pacified him to know she was still human; still his.

However, the fact that she was in such close proximity with a Risen of Elder rank worried him. He may have been so far removed from civilization and politics of the pack but he recognised the scent of an Elder Risen when he saw one.

What was an Elder doing amongst Humans anyway? Weren't they always locked up in their majestic castles and political domain? And what value was Mallory to him? The Risens were not one to enlist the help of humans, much less claim possession of one.

A day before, he had purposely brushed past her in a crowded market along the route she always took on her way home and she had looked right past him, as though he never even existed.

The wolf growled. She was his and he was going to damn well make sure she knew that.

Remaining in wolf form, Clayton stood still- a predator watching his prey. He listened as she muttered to herself about her academic observations and later made plans to transport her archaeological find to England where she would soon be leaving for.

His heart sank.

She was leaving.

But then his lips curved in a devilish grin. She was coming straight into the lands of his forefathers. Perhaps it was time for him to return home, his roaming days finally over.

***

Mallory was sure that someone... or something was watching her every move, the silence of the predator a deafening sound she couldn't drown out with her furious keyboard tapping.

Yet, at the same time, she felt reassured by its presence; a warm comfort enveloping her body, putting her at ease.

Putting pressure on her temples, Mallory tried to will away the headache that was budding in her head. It felt like there was a heavy rock pressing down on her, a block that she couldn't seem to dislodge from her mind.

Looking over to the open window to her left, she glimpse the light of the gibbous moon and something furious lit inside of her.

She knew something was missing but she didn't know what.

***

Jamie stepped out to the veranda of his office into the pale white light reflected from the moon.

"Just a couple more days and the prophecy will be fulfilled," he whispered to the emptiness; drawing in a large breath. "I long to see your face again, to bow before your feet; at your greatness, at your pureness."

Something flickered at the screen on his computer, capturing his attention. Jamie turned his focus to the live camera footage from the shipping container of the twin sarcophagus on route to London. Everything looked normal.

It was probably a rat scuttling past.

Jamie turned away from the screen and stepped out once again.

If he had looked carefully, he would have seen the trail of blood leading out from one of the twins.

***