The Wolves Ch. 004

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Unfortunately, or fortunately, depending on the person's perspective, Xorin failed to complete his task. The rest of the Specters had been able to hold him off and escape the planet, and the system. Even the planetary weapons platform he had acquired control of wasn't able to prevent their escape, one of the ships having jinked out of the way just in time. Before the weapons platform could fire again, they made the jump to hyperspace, both ships going in different directions.

The man on the phone, who he later learned was Kaldrus Dhir, was Derech Kidravia's longest rival and competitor. He wanted the King and his family dead so he could assume leadership of the Scyftan people without anyone being able to oppose him. Kaldrus had been furious when he received news that the son had escaped. He didn't know about the triplets, as those were kept a secret. Xorin certainly wasn't going to let his enemy know. As a result he cut off Xorin's access to the camera he used to see his family and would regain it after doing more jobs.

He eventually did regain access to the camera after assassinating various nuisances or making them disappear for the Emperor. The finish line kept getting placed further and further away over the years, and he doubted he would ever see his family in person again.

With Xorin's help, Kaldrus' takeover was nearly absolute. At the end of it there were no forces able to oppose him. There was the odd small faction that tried to eliminate him, but none of them came close. Kaldrus changed the structure of government from that of a Monarchy to that of an Empire which was highly oppressive. He had the King and Queen's home demolished and an opulent mansion built on top of it. There were many different species that looked to Derech Kidravia and his family for leadership. When they found out what Kaldrus did, the vast majority of them left the Kingdom, many of them forming alliances to be able to defend themselves, should Kaldrus attack. They wouldn't attack Scyftan worlds if left alone, but they would destroy any Scyftan military vessels that tried to enter their borders.

This enraged Kaldrus almost as much as when the son's caretakers had managed to escape with him. He ordered a large portion of the Scyftan fleet to invade the worlds closest to the Scyftan Empire, only for them to retreat with their tails between their legs. It seems many of the species signed Mutual Defense Treaties, and when the Scyftan fleet attacked, they followed through on it. The Scyftan fleet suffered over 50% casualties, while the allied fleet lost fewer than 10% of their overall force.

Where the Kingdom under Derech Kidravia was strong, the Empire under Kaldrus was impotent. Over time, old enemies that wouldn't dare attack the Kingdom grew bolder and started invading border worlds. That sparked off a war that has lasted over a thousand years with neither side being able to push the other back.

The Emperor has practically begged some of the old Kingdom's allies only to be laughed at. They have grown powerful in their own right since the coup, and the only way they will step in is if the Emperor is dead or gives up leadership of the Scyftan people. Neither of those is likely to happen anytime soon.

Xorin was taking a drink of his ale when his communication chip located behind his left ear let him know he had a call. He put down his drink and tapped behind is ear to answer it. "What?" he demanded.

"Well now, that's no way to greet an old friend." the voice said.

"You were never, and will never be my friend. What. Do. You. Want?"

"My, my. Someone sure is testy today. I, myself have recently received the best news I've heard in years. It may have some implications for you as well. Would you like to hear it?"

"What is it? Is the Coalition finally giving up this pointless war?"

"As much as I would like that, no. This is something better. You know that I have had ships scouring for Joruth Kidravia for the past fourteen hundred years. Well, one of them finally seems to have found a lead."

Xorin perked up at hearing this and he listened more intently as Kaldrus Dhir continued.

"It seems that your former associates spirited him away to a primitive planet called Earth. He was detected when he went through some sort of evaluation upon turning eighteen years old. It appears he had been kept in stasis for over fourteen hundred years, and only awakened in the last fifteen."

"I directed the ship that found him to Earth. They will arrive in six months with orders to kill him by any means necessary. If that means glassing the planet, so be it. If you are able to kill him before that ship arrives in orbit, I will finally release your family to you. I had a gift left on your ship, as a gesture of good will. It is a long journey with your ship, I suggest you get moving."

Xorin slammed some credits on the table and ran faster than he had in years. He had to push people out of the way, but he made it there a few minutes later. He input the code to unlock the door of his ship and ran inside. He searched his ship and found someone lying on his bed. He rushed over and found that it was his wife. He rejoiced at finally being able to feel her, both mentally and physically. It was only tempered by the fact that his daughter was not with them. He gently ran his fingers through her hair and hummed a song he knew she loved, sending it to her through Mindspeak.

She soon began to stir before opening her eyes and scrambling back, screaming.

"Shh. Shh, it's me, Xorin," he said soothingly. He sent in Mindspeak as well.

"Xiron? Is it really you?"

He nodded, "Yes, my love."

She jumped forward, hugging him as hard as she could, both of them crying.

"Zindra!" she sobbed. "He still has Zindra!"

"He has given me one more job to do. If I complete it, he will release our daughter to us. We will finally be reunited, after so long."

They stayed there embraced on his bed. Eventually they both fell asleep, but his phone ringing woke him up again. He checked the time, finding he had slept for nearly two hours. He answered the phone and learned that Kaldrus had sent him some supplies. There was a group of four guys ready to load cargo on to his ship. He went down to the cargo hold and checked the cameras mounted outside the door before opening it. The crew quickly deposited their cargo and departed. He opened the crates and found a huge supply of food and water, to go with the reserves already stocked on his ship. There was also a couple of sets of old Spectre armor that looked like they were brand new, and a wide assortment of weapons to go with them.

He gently woke up his wife, [My love, we need to go. Do you need anything before we leave?]

[Our daughter.]

[I can't do that just yet. Come with me to the bridge. You'll be my co-pilot.]

[I don't want to get up. This is the most comfortable bed I have slept in, in years.]

[Very well. Are you sure you don't need anything before we go? It's a six month trip to where we're going.]

[I'm fine. I want to get some more sleep.]

[Okay. The bathroom is through the door at the end of the bed if you need it. Let me know when you're up, we'll have dinner.]

[Mmm..k]

Xorin kissed his wife on the cheek and then made his way to the bridge. He contacted the space station's flight control so he could depart. Once he had left the space station and cleared the gravity well, he plotted his course and engaged the hyperdrive. He had six months to formulate his plans. One thing was for certain. He wasn't going to kill Jonuth Kidravia. He doubted he would be able to come close, especially if Zuni was assigned to protect him. No, he wouldn't kill the young man. He would beg on his hands and knees for him to save his daughter. He would do anything he asked, as long as she was safe.

12