The Yachtsman

Story Info
She has to learn about yachts for her job.
11.4k words
4.44
54.8k
16
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The man sat on the end of the gangway of the 50 foot yacht. He was working on one of the heavy docking lines for the yacht. He heard the sound of heels clicking on the dock. He tugged on a strand of the line; the end of the strand was tightly wrapped with tape to keep it from unraveling. He heard the heels get closer, he didn't look up. He was just starting the eye splice in the end of the rope and the start of the splice was critical in making the splice correctly. When he had all the ends of the different strands woven under the proper strands he pulled on each strand to snug it in place. He stopped and looked up to see a young woman watching him. She was dressed in a long blue print dress, it didn't fit well. She wore Navy blue pumps with low heels. Her long blonde hair was in a long pony tail. He smiled, "Howdy Ma'am, can I help you?"

"I didn't mean to interrupt you, but I need to find someone who can teach me about yachts, I am fascinated by what you are doing, you are making a loop in the end of that rope aren't you."

"Yes Ma'am. This called an 'eye splice'. It is a permanent loop in the end of this mooring line; this splice is stronger than the line. Most knots you can tie in this line weaken the line." His hands were working on the line as he spoke. He was weaving the strands through the strands of the long part of the line by passing each strand under the strand through a hole made using a wooden tool shaped like an oversized spike that tapered to a long point. He mentioned the tool was called a fid. She watched as he carefully straightened each strand so it was tight and in the proper spot.

The woman watched him work; his hands fairly flew through the weaving process until the splice was several feet long. He paused and looked up at the young woman, "I will be finished in a few minutes and then I can talk with you. I just have to taper the splice." He smiled and added, "It doesn't make it any stronger but it looks better."

He was a ruggedly handsome man, wide strong shoulders, muscular arms and hands that skillfully snipped off a quarter of each strand he was weaving down the line. When he wove through several rows of strands then removed another part of the strands he was weaving. She could see the taper in the line. He would pause now and then and roll the splice back and forth on the dock under his shoe. Several more rows and he cut another section off the strands. Finally he cut the last part of each strand off flush with the line. He leaned over and picked up his knife and the wooden tool he used to pry the stands apart. He gathered up the strands he had cut off. He grinned at her and handed her the loop in the end of the line. He said, "There, all done. What do you think?"

She carefully examined the splice the looked up at him, "Yes, I see why it is so strong, under tension each strand clamps down on the strand under it, like a Chinese hand cuff, very clever."

He looked at her and grinned widely, "Ma'am that is exactly how it works. Sailors have been doing them like that for hundreds of years. Lines can be joined together like that too. Now tell me what you want to know about boats. And why you need to know it."

She looked up at him, "I work for the advertising department of a real estate company, and we specialize in vacation homes. I have a lot of experience in sales, and advertising for many products. Actually I am the new head of the advertising department. I don't know much about boats, we are bidding on the marketing of a new line of yachts for vacation homes. The CEO of my company and I are invited to go out on one of the boats tomorrow with the head of the yacht company and my boss wants me to be knowledgeable about boats. I just have this afternoon to learn about them."

He shook his head and smiled at her, "Well, Ma'am, I don't know everything about boats, but I have messing with them and working on them for twenty years, so I am fairly well versed on them. What kind of boat do you need to know about?"

"Well, I would think it best to concentrate on boats similar to those we are going to sell. I am told it is a seventy foot long trawler yacht, whatever that is. I understand it is a very large boat and is a quite luxurious and well appointed boat."

"Well Ma'am, there is a similar boat just ahead of this one. I know the owner and have the keys to the boat if you would like to look it over."

"OH yes, that would be wonderful. Please call me Phil it is short for Philomena. Philomena Carter."

He stopped and stood, looking her over. His grin gave her goose bumps. "Missy, I just can't do that, you don't look like any Phil I ever knew. May I call you Filly, you are definitely a female."

She blushed and smiled and said, "That would be fine Mr.—What do I call you?"

He smiled, "Well, Lil' Filly, all my friends call me 'LC', It would please me greatly if you would do the same."

"OK, LC, Let me tell you what I know about boats, I know bow, stern, port and starboard. I know deck, cabin, bridge, ladder, passageway, and bulkheads and hatches, heads, galleys and salons and staterooms and that about covers it."

LC grinned, "Filly you only missed one very important place, but you didn't do bad for a landlubber."

She frowned, "What? What did I miss?"

"You forgot the place WE make love."

"Wha . . .what do you mean?"

"I mean 'bunks' girl. Where else? Come on girl. Look at the lines holding the boat to the dock. See! This line is holding the stern of the boat in place and has an appropriate name, 'The Stern Line.' Now, see up near the center of the boat, there is a line running from the middle of the boat back towards this dock cleat towards the stern. Then the other line is running towards the bow. They work together, they keep the boat from doing what?"

"I see, they keep the boat from moving forward or backwards, right?"

"You got that right girl, they are called spring lines. They also let the boat move up and down with the tide. The other line up near the bow is?....

"The bow line?"

"Yes Ma'am, Miss Filly. Come on girl let's go on board this 70 footer and look around. Be careful with those heels. When we get aboard you need to take them off anyway. I think there are some boat shoes of all sizes in a locker in the salon. Boat decks tend to get slippery and dangerous." He took her hand and led her to the gangway. The first step was pretty high and he steadied her by holding her elbow. Her checked out her body as she went ahead of him up the gangway, she had a delightful figure but was little overweight. When they were aboard he gently took her elbow and led her to a sliding glass door into the salon. It was a lovely room with a long table and chairs. There was a dinette that converted to a bunk on one side. There was a sectional sofa across the back of the room.

LC went to one of the sections and lifted the cushion revealing many boxes of shoes in the locker below. He looked at her feet, "Size six?"

"Yes, that's right."

He handed her a pair of boat shoes, "Filly, that dress is cute as hell on you, but if you go on deck wearing it that long skirt will blow up and be wrapped around your head in a second. While I might love to see that, it might be dangerous for you. Go down these steps and go in the first door on the right. There are women's clothes in the hanging locker and in some of the drawers. Go change and come back here."

She hurried off and he stepped out on the stern deck and took out his cell phone and pressed a speed dial number. He watched through the glass door glass for Filly to come back. The phone was answered and he said, "Get hold of Bradley Vacation Homes and tell them the meeting tomorrow is postponed until Friday at 10:00 AM. Remind them to notify all concerned. Thanks." He put the phone in his pocket and was sitting on the sectional sofa watching a large flat screened TV when the girl came back.

He smiled, she was wearing shorts and a short sleeved blouse. She looked very cute, even though she was a little pudgy. The thin blouse confirmed that she had a perfect rack, probably a 32 D. He realized that her dress had hidden a body that could be fantastic if she lost e few pounds.

"That's much better Filly, you can move around now, let's go up to the pilot house and talk about the engine controls and what they do. OK?"

They spent several hours as he showed her all the features on the bridge. He showed her the engine controls, the navigational devices, GPS, computer, then bow and stern thrusters and many other things. He was showing her the radar system when her cell phone rang. She moved away and talked for several minutes. She returned and smiled, "That was my boss, he is upset because the head of the boat company just postponed the boat trip until Friday at 10 in the morning!"

"Hey! That's great, we have time to show you the things a woman is most interested in, the engine room."

Philly laughed, "Right, propulsion units are among my favorite things. GenSets are right up there though."

"What do you know about generators?

"Just a little, I worked in Motor Homes sales for a while, they all have Generator Sets in them."

"Girl, this vessel has one big enough to run a small village. Everything aboard is run on household current." They looked at the main engines and the generator. They went up to the galley next, she was very impressed with the galley. He showed her the walk-in freezer and the huge refrigerators and the restaurant type stoves and ovens.

She told him she was very impressed with the galley, "Any woman would love to cook in here." She said looking around. "This whole boat should appeal to the wives as much as to the husbands. I think I would feature how great this would be as a second home. Right on the water too!"

LC laughed, "Yeah! You can't get any closer to the water than this. This style of boat is extremely seaworthy, she is patterned after the fishing trawlers used in New England and Northern Europe, they fish in very rough weather for weeks at a time. She is slow but it would take at least a Hurricane to stop her. She will go almost 2500 miles without refueling. Depending on the family, she is large enough for a Captain and a crew of two or three. If privacy is needed a couple could manage her alone. She will cover some ground though, traveling only in daylight hours, you can move this water front house to Nassau in 2 days and Puerto Rico in a week."

"Wow, that's not bad, considering what you are bringing with you and you don't even have to unpack."

"Well, going to the islands you only have to bring a change of Bikinis. Your Boyfriend would love that."

Filly frowned, then giggled, "Hey, my body is not built for Bikinis."

LC looked at her seriously, " I think you would fill out a Bikini top nicely."

"That may be true but the bottom would look like twenty pounds of sausage in a ten pound sack." She saw LC struggling to keep a straight face. "Go ahead, laugh, I don't want you to hurt yourself."

"Sweetheart, If I laugh, I will be laughing with you, not at you."

"Thank you LC, I believe you, you are a nice guy. Are you married or do you have a girlfriend?"

"I'm not married either, I was married but it didn't work, she couldn't stand living on a boat, I, on the other hand, love it."

The two of them sat and talked about all sorts of things, including boats. Suddenly Filly jumped up and looked out the window, "Damn it's dark out already. I have to get going. I have to go shopping, I don't have a thing in the house to eat."

LC looked at her, "Hey, do you like Asian? There is a great Asian place just up the street that will deliver here. They have a great food."

"LC, I can't do that, I have occupied half your day already."

"Just answer my question, do you like Asian? They have Thai, Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, Korean, Indian and American. Their Orange Chicken is to die for. Please eat with me, I hate eating alone. I promise you will love it."

"Well, I guess it won't hurt if I am a little late getting home."

"Filly, I'm sorry, I didn't think, is someone waiting for you?"

"No, just my Goldfish, and they never complain."

"Great, let me order for both of us. The servings are large so I will order different things for each of us and we can share. OK?"

"That sounds good, I haven't eaten a lot of Asian except for Chinese."

"Great, we'll try a variety of things. He pulled out his phone, and pressed a button. He said, "Signora, di buona sera, how are you tonight? Do you know who this is, you do! I love you too Sweetheart. I want a dinner for two. Surprise me with a variety but I do want your Orange Chicken, Is Papa San in good form tonight. Wonderful, Kiss the old rascal for me, Please. Can I have it delivered?" He grinned and laughed, "I love you too, Mama San." He smiled at Filly, "I eat there a lot. She is eighty two years old and has the figure of a twenty year old, and the face of a 40 year old. An amazing woman."

"Really? Wasn't that Italian you were speaking?"

"Yes, she speaks many languages, we tease each other all the time."

It was twenty minutes later that they saw headlights stop beside the boat. LC hurried out and took a large bag from a young man, they grinned at each other. LC was still smiling when he came in. He said, "She sent me a surprise, she said it was especially for me." He started unloading the bag lining up the small cartons. He removed place mats from a drawer along with knives and forks, he arranged two place sittings at the table. He sat her at the nearest sitting. He opened a small carton and put a dumpling on each plate. He opened another carton and served each plate with a pair of small sticky BBQ pork ribs. Two more cartons revealed another dumpling and a spring roll each. There was another slightly larger carton. He opened it and laughed hardily. He showed her the contents, there were two large raw oysters on the half shell. He put one on each plate.

He placed a pair of chop sticks at each place. They were the chop sticks that are made of one piece and were thin in the center and were bent to act like tongs. LC pointed out what each thing was. He told her to take her time and that this was just the appetizer. He found 3 small covered cups of sauces, there was a ponzu (Japanese, citrus juices and vinegar) sauce to dip the pork dumplings in. There was a red chili sauce for the spring rolls, and ponzu butter sauce for the lobster dumplings.

After the appetizers LC served Orange Chicken, Curried shrimp with peppers and onions and a Thai basil sauce. There was a crab and scallion fried rice and some Pad Thai noodles. Everything was delicious and there were no leftovers. Filly walked to LC and gently kissed the corner of his mouth. She pulled back and said, "I have had a wonderful time and I have learned more than I thought possible, you are a wonderful teacher I have to hurry home now. Can I stop by and tell your friend how much I enjoyed our dinner?"

LC grinned, "She would absolutely love that! What time will you be here in the morning?"

She stared at him, "I have to work."

"Have you ever been in a boat like this underway? He will easily expose your ignorance if you don't have the feel of the boat underway. You can't tell him the difference between how she rides with and without the stabilizers on. You have lots more to learn if you really want to impress someone."

"OH! LC, I have imposed on you enough already."

"Hey I got a kick out of being with you. You are sweet and very smart and you learn very fast. I enjoy teaching someone who is truly interested in what I love. I can almost guarantee you will convince the fat cat that you know a lot about boats."

She smiled up at him, "The boss did say to take all the time I need. How about 9 o'clock?"

"I'll see you in the morning." He took her hand escorted her down the gangway. He took her to a golf cart and drove her to her car at the end of the dock. He saw her into the car and reached down and took her hand, he grinned, "Sleep tight Lil' Filly" He leaned down and kissed the back of her hand. He stood and watched her drive off.

Philomena stopped at a sign that said 'Sky Asian Fusion'. She walked in and saw a very attractive oriental woman sitting behind a cash register on a counter. Philly smiled and said, "Hello, I just had to stop and tell you I just had the most wonderful meal of my life. Your food is simply delicious! Thank you."

The woman looked at her then her face brightened, "You eat with Mr. LC?"

"Yes I did."

"OH! You the luckiest girl in the world, Mr. LC is very wonderful man and dear friend. Please make him happy, he deserves it. He save this restaurant when zoning people try to close us down. He got us good lawyer who fix everything." The older woman turned and yelled something in what Filly thought was Chinese. A very old man in white clothing hurried out, bowed, and smiled at Philomena, The woman continued talking and the old man bowed and grinned, he bowed and hurried off. He was back in a few seconds and gave her a small carton, bowing and grinning all the time. He spoke to the woman. She smiled, "My husband say he is very, very happy to meet LC san's woman. He say same as me, you very lucky girl." The old man bowed again still smiling happily. The woman came out from behind the counter and hugged Filly and kissed her on each cheek.

"Thank you so much for stopping to tell us you like our food, I think Mr. LC pretty damn lucky too! Good night sweet Lady."

Phil was very happy as she drove home. She opened the little container and found a sweet delicious custard of some sort. She thoroughly enjoyed it. She thought of LC the whole time. She could see him in her mind. She felt warm and content when she thought of him. He was years older but he treated her as an equal. He was intelligent and well educated. He was evidently happy working on someone else's yacht. He acted as if he belonged on the yacht. He must be the Captain or something. She had several dreams of him that night and happily hurried back in the morning after a stop at Dunkin' Donuts for donuts and coffee for both of them. He met her half way down the dock and drove her back to the boat. He told her to put the coffee and donuts in the galley and hurry back.

When she returned he took her to the bridge and showed her how to start the engines. When the motors idled smoothly and quietly they went back to the main deck, He went on the dock and disconnected the electrical cable, the phone line and the water hose. He had her pull them aboard. He showed her how to stow everything away. He showed her how all the mooring lines had been what he called 'singled up'. The lines were arranged so the a person on the boat could cast off the line and pull the line back aboard the boat. The gangway stayed hooked to the dock but raised clear of the boat on a frame.

When all the lines were in they hurried up to the bridge. He showed her how to move the boat sideways until clear of the dock by using the thrusters in the bow and stern. When they were clear he let her put the engines in gear and the boat moved ahead slowly. He coached her until they were out in the channel that led to the Intercoastal Waterway. Filly was amazed at how little effort it took to steer the huge boat. She smiled up at him as he stood behind her. "I love this. It is so different from anything I have ever done before."

When they were in a clear area he ran below and came back with the coffee and donuts. They followed the channel until they entered the Intercoastal Waterway. He explained how the waterway went north to Maine and south, through the Keys, and into the Gulf of Mexico. He pointed out a cut through the outer island that led to the Atlantic Ocean. A high bridge went over the cut. She felt the movement of the boat change as they hit the swells coming in the cut. She got a little nervous as the swells grew larger. She could see the wide expanse of the ocean. He grinned at her and slowly pushed the throttles forward. The speed of the boat increased and the movement increased, the boat rolled gently back and forth. I was not at all violent. Then she noticed the bow of the boat lift and fall as they crossed waves. She looked up happily and said, "You told me we have stabilizers. How do I turn them on." He grinned and pointed to a row of buttons. She read the labels above each button and found one that said, 'Stabilizers'. She glanced at him and he nodded. She pushed the button. There was no abrupt change but in a few moments she noticed the boat was no longer rolling and pitching. The waves were really not big enough to bother the boat very much.