There and Back Again Ch. 099-100

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She swept out of the room on Alistair's arm, and I had to restrain myself from clawing that smug, self-satisfied expression off her stupid noble face. Alistair looked back once, his gaze understanding, and winked at me. Teagan and Theron followed. I sighed and sat across from Wynne.

"So that was...bad," I ventured. She looked like she was about to deny it, but I interrupted her. "Templar, remember? I could feel the magic. He doesn't have my resistance, and you still almost weren't successful, were you?"

She shook her head. "You are too perceptive by half, sometimes, for someone usually so oblivious." Her smile was fond, and I chuckled. "That would have been easier with Anders, undoubtedly, but yes – it was a close thing. He was very near death when they came through that door."

"I think I understand a little why he gets so uptight when I fight." The healer and I shared grins, and then I sighed again. "At least he didn't end up in Fort Drakon. Thank Go- the Maker that Cauthrien was busy at the palace."

"Would one woman really have made such a difference?"

"She's...well, in the game, she was one of the hardest enemies to fight. Not Archdemon-bad, obviously, but probably the worst before that point. And she had a bunch of friends with her, to boot. I heard rumours you could defeat her, if you were very clever and well-armed and exceptionally good, but I sure never managed."

"Then I'm glad the plan worked."

"Me too. Listen, should I go get some water and things? We should clean him up, don't you think?"

"I will do it, child. But if you could send a servant for water and soap I'd appreciate it. You should go change out of your armour before the meeting."

I sighed, squeezing Aedan's hand before standing. "Send for us right away if anything changes?"

"I promise, dear."

I walked around the bed and bent down to kiss Wynne's cheek. "Thanks, mom."

An hour later, wearing a dress – one of my nicer ones, a grey silk Leliana had purchased somewhere along the way – I was waiting for everyone else in the library. Alistair was there, and I wanted so badly to crawl into his arms, but I restrained myself. Anora sat regally beside him, and Eamon and Teagan sat on his other side. Theron played guard at the door again. One after the other, our companions trickled in.

Wulf came, with the elven woman, now clean and wearing some of the extra Warden armour, still clinging to his arm. She was beautiful, I realised, when she wasn't covered in filth; she had short, pixie-cut auburn hair and startlingly green eyes. But she twitched any time any of the humans spoke, and nearly jumped out of her skin if anyone near her moved; I wondered who she was and what had happened to her. Though considering she was obviously at Howe's estate, maybe I don't want to know.

Solona and Anders came in, not quite touching but clearly together, and I wondered if the events had moved their budding reconciliation along. His arm was no longer bandaged, but his shirt covered the area so I couldn't see a wound or a scar. He didn't look quite as green, and I could feel his magic, weak but present – the magebane was wearing off. Jowan and Morrigan followed them, and the dwarves came in next, finding seats away from the nobles at the front. Sten glowered silently from the back of the room, one of the few still in armour, with Asala strapped to his back.

Leliana and Zevran were the last two to arrive, escorting a pale, far-too-thin Nathaniel Howe. He'd been wearing baggy clothes earlier, I remembered, but he'd changed into some trousers and a shirt that I guessed might be Zevran's; they were too short, but fit around far less tightly than they should for a man his size. He's been starved for a while. It reminded me of nothing so much as Anders when we rescued him from the Circle. He'd shaved, however, leaving just his signature soul patch below his lip.

I was surprised at the protectiveness shown towards Nathaniel by Leli and Zevran; clearly, this would be an interesting story. Zevran's expression was dangerously mild as he locked gazes with Anora. The Queen gulped softly, but kept her countenance neutral, refusing to show the fear I knew she must be feeling. At least, if she's smart...

Once all of our companions – except Wynne, Aedan, and Duncan, for obvious reasons – were there, Alistair stood. He rubbed at his neck the way Theron always did, and I saw Anora flinch. "Alright, so, would someone please explain what in the Void happened over there?"