Thoroughly Loving Nina Ch. 07

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

“Is that all?”

Gabby rubbed his chin. “Wouldn’t mind being handed spending money when I request it – say $100 bucks a time. Most days I’ll be on the ranch or at home doing odd jobs for Maggie and servicing her – you know what women are like.”

Vic said he agreed to all that and once Gabby began work could he keep in touch because he felt responsible for him. Gabby grinned. Vic then asked how Gabby had managed to take to him so quickly.

“Well, I heard that you had worked for Joe Black and Leigh is accommodating you romantically. As soon as you walked up to me I could feel your presence which was enough for me. Those two are great judges of character; all three of us can’t be wrong.”

“You’re putting me on, right?”

“On this occasion it’s gospel.”

* * *

Kate stood at the bedroom window as Nina dressed, watching the two men walking back to the house.

“Dad’s taken him on.”

“Don’t you mean Vic’s offer of a job has been accepted?”

“If you wish.”

“But you don’t mean that do you?”

Kate said her father was a little unconventional, regarding people a little like he regarded horses. “There are horses you like, a few you both like and know that would take you to hell and back. The rest you don’t bother about. That’s why I wanted dad to meet Vic here rather than at your hotel. Dad is always on about the feel of the soil coming up through his boots. Some people hearing that would think he’s weird.”

“I don’t. I’ve heard gardeners get that feeling.”

“Yes and the sick. Dad’s walking back with Vic, hip to hip. If dad didn’t have a good feeling about Vic they’d be walking with a foot gap between them, no matter how much Vic attempted to close the gap and despite dad’s shot hip.”

“Shot hip?”

“Thrown from a horse on to rocky ground. Doc Harrigan said he feared dad would never walk again but added, “Expect he’s a tough coot.”

“So in and out of hospital and the tough coot walked again?”

“Yes, that was almost ten years ago.”

Nina stood watching the limping man. “But back on a horse he’s a man again.”

“It hurts him like hell, but yes.”
Nina asked had he considered going to the city for an artificial hip operation.

“Dad’s never been to the city and never will.”

“I see. And also scared of the knife and doesn’t want any foreign stuff inside his body?”

“You know my father and yet you’ve never met him. Who are you, Nina Raymond? You think you will see me pregnant and now you’re thinking of giving my father a new hip?”

Nina flushed and said she hadn’t said that. When Kate charged than Nina had thought it she flushed a deeper red and shrugged.

“It’s not the money – I could sell one of my top stallions and that would pay for the operation and recovery in hospital.”

“I know Kate, but just let me work on it. My mother always said there’s a solution to almost everything and my mind is now fixing on this, perhaps in my desperation to repay you for your kindness in some tangible way. I know you would refuse a gift-horse, so to speak. I like to think I could find someway to get your father riding and walking again without pain.”

Kate gave Nina a look she’d never seen before; if she had to describe it she’d have to say open-hearted kindness. It probably was the look horses received from Kate.

“You do what you think you have to do, Nina. But be warned: at the end of the day he’ll say no. My father can be so unmovable.”

“Okay, thanks for that,” Nina said, sounding carefree. “I’ve finished here, let’s do down and meet this stubborn old cuss you call father.”

Kate led Nina out on to the back porch and they stood arm-in-arm, acknowledging Vic’s wave and sighting Gabby’s strange expression.

“You’re stunned him; he’d a sucker for a beautiful woman – these days only to look at.”

“Aren’t all men that ways inclined?”

“With my dad’s intensity, I rather think not.”

“Dad, please meet my new friend Nina. Nina, this is my father…”

“Gabby, Nina. Call me Gabby. Mind if I take a good look at you?”

Without waiting for a answer he began circling Nina.

“Dad – you’re rude and repulsive. Nina is not a horse.”

“If you say so, Kate. You really are some woman, Nina.”

“Dad!”

“What?”

“Go to your room.”

Everyone laughed.

“Come, we’ll have a drink Nina while Kate prepares lunch and Vic goes to find Shaun. Be ready to open the corral gate for him Vic – he’ll be bringing in a horse or two that look poorly.”

* * *

Vic went off and Kate poured wine for herself and Nina and a beer for her father. Standing at the stove frying chicken, preparing the salad and with the pancake mix already waiting, she watched her father and his captive maiden. She could hear them but made no effort to interject: those two were lost in their own little world. Her father had long lost his good looks, his body was battered but his spirit had survived and his tongue could still charm the pants off a lady, figuratively speaking. At least she was under that impression.

Her father drew a quick potted biography from Nina and then was on to Nina’s likes and dislikes, her attitude towards horses and the land, what she really thought of Vic and whether she was convinced she was doing the right thing spending all that money in this part of the world and attempting to settle down with Vic instead of continuing along the highway when they became restless.

In half an hour Kate realized that thanks to her father’s rude questioning, she’d learned more about Nina than in all the time she’d spent with Nina talking. There was one comment she picked up just ahead of her father: “It’s only money, what I’m doing is investing in Vic because I want him.”

“You wouldn’t have to buy Vic; he must know quality,” said her father.

“True, but we’re buying a future together and he hasn’t been told my reasons for yet but I’m a woman in a hurry – I want him to have it all to enjoy while he’d in his prime.”

“Jesus, you must really love the guy,” Gabby said, obviously impressed.

Kate was intrigued – what did Nina mean so he could have it all? That must mean development of the property – pasture improvement and building up the cattle herds, new machinery, hiring ranch hands. But Nina appeared to be excited beyond that. A new ranch house perhaps? If so it was very likely Shaun would be in charge of that project which would please him. Shaun found it difficult to make friends and it had delighted to see how well he and Vic blended, both pretending it wasn’t happening but clearly a bond was developing.

Kate’s mind took a great leap, back to the astonishing conversation she’d had in the bedroom with Nina. Nina had asked casually, “When do you intend starting a family?”

Instantly Kate gave herself away, becoming tense and she heard herself mutter, “Probably later rather than sooner; we’re in no hurry.”

“Tell me Kate.”

Kate gasped, she physically gasped, giving herself away completely, making her feel like a rat transfixed in front of drooling dog out to play. This woman, the gall of her, only twenty-one. What age had to do with it Kate was unsure, but someone was to blame for this!

“We can’t have children; don’t feel sorry for us,” Kate blurted.

“Sorry, why should I be sorry? I’m attempting to be the cavalry. Tell me what the problem is?”

“You’re only twenty-one.”

“Is that relevant?”

“No.”

Nina smiled, making no attempt to reach out and hug. “Tell me Kate.”

“Tests have confirmed its Shaun. For god’s sake, don’t mention this to him; he’s shattered although maintains a brave face.”

“That’s great.”

“What?”

“All is not lost. My heart reaches out for Shaun though.”

“Not lost? But it is. He refuses to adopt and with my mares I use stallions, not AI. I’m not in favor of assisted conception.”

“But why not?”

“That’s my business if you don’t mind. Oh sorry, that’s rude. I’m a believer in the natural order of things.”

“Then use Vic to impregnate you. I won’t mind.”

“What! Oh God, what are you saying to me?”

“Just re-arranging the order of things.”

“I can’t believe I’m having this conversation. If I allowed that to happen I’d never be able to look you two in the face ever again.”

“Nonsense, if there is a child make us her godparents.”

“Her?”

“Well, my thinking is it will be a girl. A strong-willed adorable girl and you’ll love her and she’ll ride like the wind.”

“Ride?”

“Yes, and exceptionally well because he mother’s a great teacher.”

Kate began crying, claiming Nina was seducing her mind.

“Well, someone has to do it.”

“Why, answer that conclusively and perhaps I’ll begin taking you seriously.”

“But you already have the answer. It’s in the natural order of things, only with a slight readjustment.”

Kate began laughing through her tears and that’s when Nina moved in and hugged her.


Thinking back about that, Kate had decided she wouldn’t do it. But then she kept seeing a small girl on a big horse riding like the wind. She didn’t know what to do. Then she realized she did know what to do: talk to her father.

After lunch Kate decided to advance Nina’s training, so they went out and she began tutoring Nina the basics of controlling her mount to work cattle. They returned both dusty and Nina sweaty as well as she’d been on the horse, performing hard to carry out Kate’s instructions.

After that Kate went outside and sat in the shade on a rickety old seat, in deep conversation with her father.

Nina returned downstairs from her shower feeling great when Kate come in through the door and looked at Nina shyly. Nina held open her arms and Kate ran into them. “I’m on, two or three months after your wedding…”

“Let’s make that a week after the wedding – I don’t want you becoming pregnant too far ahead of me.”

“You mean together, or thereabout?”

“Yes, wouldn’t it be great?”

“Oh yes, of heavens yes. When will you ask him?”

“We – I want you there.”

“No, I’ll die of embarrassment.”

“Scarcely embarrassment considering what he is expected to do. Unless you do it full on Kate you may not become pregnant.”

“Oh God, to think you people could be looking?”

“No-one will know, he’s a master at subterfuge.”

Kate looked shocked. “You’ve heard the rumor?”

“Yes.”

“It may not be true.”

“Yes, but then again it may be true.”

“Don’t you mind?”

“No, providing I don’t catch them at it. Beside, I really like her and have asked her to be my matron of honor. She wanted to decline but I said my friendship with her was more important than rumors. She’s accepted.”

“Oh my, did she give even a hint that she was Vic’s fancy woman or attempt to deny it.”

“No, she just smiled and said I had a wonderful husband-to-be and we kissed.”

“Oh God, now this is absolutely tight-lipped information, forever. Agreed?”

“My lips will remain sealed.”

Kate braced herself. “My father and her mother were long-time lovers. Leigh found out about it as a teenager and accepted it and began regarding dad as her godfather, or stepfather I rather fancy.”

“Good God, the webs people spin. Actually having met Leigh’s father I can understand why his wife went astray and why Leigh came to look upon the liaison kindly. No-doubt she would have seen a happier side of her mom exposed.”

“Exactly. Why is it you know so much about relationships for one so young?”

“Neither of my parents displayed any love to me and they both behaved like animals, each attempting to maximize hurt to the other but without ever coming to blows. It was so horrible and when I exited from my teens the men around me assumed I was like my parents and attempted to treat me accordingly. That also was horrible. Two months after my mother died and my father ordered me from the house I took to the road, was accosted by two drunken young men and a stranger called Victor Haig waded into them like a hero and rescued me.”

“Oh God, how utterly romantic. But don’t you suspect you may have been caught in a dream rather than reality and over-exaggerated the impact on your life of Vic?

“I did think about it for a while but my affection towards him grew, especially after I realized I no longer needed his protection. At the same time I was aware if it ends it ends. Please don’t ever mention this to Vic but my love and respect for him soared when he cut me off, refusing to allow me to disclose just how wealthy I am.”

“So the rumor is true. You are wealthy.”

“Yes, and this is for your ears only. I have $27 million, all in liquid assets and if my father’s business sells on valuation I will have up to another $9 million added to that.”

“B-b-but this is unbelievable. You don’t act at all like a woman of great wealth. You appear no different to me.”

“That’s where I want to be darling.”

“But you have no diamonds, you drive only a stock SUV, not even an over the top model?”

“But I’m buying a ranch and I do have a most beautiful necklace, one that Vic bought me to celebrate our first year as a couple when on the way to this county.”

“B-b-but why buy the rundown Hunger Ranch?”

“Because Vic was hoping we could stretch ourselves and purchase it. In that land he saw a dream. He’s never had much from life whereas I grew up in a wealthy household. So why would I want to pull him away from his dream? Actually I found it easy to share his dream, Kate. He pointed it out to me.”

“What exactly? All ranches farm cattle or horses.”

“Ah, what a selfish use of ranch land. That’s all I wish to say at the moment.”

Kate looked aghast and clutched her bosom. “Oh God, you two want to develop a dude ranch. Your fellow ranchers will be up in arms against that – they’ve always succeeded in extinguishing similar projects.”

“I guess there are rumors about that too Kate. But let’s get the wedding over before there’s any talk about this, huh?”

“Okay, I won’t breathe a word, not even to Shaun.”

“We are hoping to persuade Shaun to take on the role of guest facility project management.”

“Make a fair offer and I’d imagine he’ll accept. Folk around here just want to preserve this lifestyle and have nothing that spills strangers in great numbers into town. I just breed and sell horses and act as a horse rejuvenation refuge for over-stressed horses.”

“You know and I ask you to keep your mouth shut about this Nina. For some eighteen months the club has been talking about the need to groom a successor for Trinity – our vice-president is older than Trinity. I have the feeling Trinity’s successor has been discovered. I’ll watch with interest how you two related tomorrow. If she sees it in you I’ll know.


To be Continued.


12