Thoroughly Loving Nina Ch. 09

Story Info
Would-be cowgirl Nina saves inured man in the badlands.
5.5k words
4.75
17.3k
4

Part 9 of the 11 part series

Updated 10/11/2022
Created 10/06/2006
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

THE STORY SO FAR: Twice divorced, unemployed computer technician Victor Haig is searching for a real soul mate when he rescues Nina Raymond from two louts who either mistook her for a hooker or an easy opportunity. Nina (20) admits to 37-year old Vic she's sexually inexperienced. He learns the young woman has been abused sexually by the few men in her life including her father. They leave town, taking to the road in Nina's SUV with no destination in mind. They work on a dude guest ranch and a year later help the proprietor rebuild his computer and video business. They decide to leave the coast and head east into traditional cattle land and look for a run-down ranch to buy and build up. The purchase of a run-down privately owned ranch of 63,800 acres becomes possible when Nina reveals she's the daughter of an heiress and inherited her mother's wealth. Their adventures continue while waiting to 'hand-over' day of the property. In this episode Nina receives advances training from the 'legendary' Joe Black and Nina's bravery in rescuing the Black's egoistical son-in-law leads to the family bringing their relationships on to a more even keel.

* * *

Hannah Black's scream from the bathroom could be heard across range land for 100 miles – actually it was confined to the house and reached the front porch where Joe Black and Vic Haig were sitting watching the tired guest wranglers trudging to their cabins or superior accommodation.

"That Nina has guts," Joe said, a little tensely. Vic replied in similar vein adding, "And that's the truth."

Nina had warned Hannah gently that she might not like everything she was about to hear and said gently, "Just remember dear Hannah, you will be my special wedding guest and none of us can turn back history."

* * *

Hannah set her face, expecting to hear something bad, but what? There was no way Nina could have had a child in the short time she'd been away from them – what was it, just three weeks?

The wedding in the front room sounded so charming, traditional Western actually. When Nina named the short list of guests she squirmed, recognizing names with connections with Joe she'd tried so hard to erase from their memories.

Then Nina began talking about how Trinity Twill and the Women's Town Club of which she was president became anxious to have the return of Joe Black acknowledged because memories of his exploits were fading. But that's the very thing Hannah had hoped would happened. Her chest tightened in dread and she prepared to burst into rage as Nina spoke about the wedding party being transported to town in helicopters.

In panic Hannah looked pleadingly at Nina but the young girl plowed on, stopping only to say, "Brace yourself for this bit, Hannah – only half listen and it may not seem so bad."

Hannah attempted to follow that advice but into her brain drilled words such as street parade, re-enactment of the wedding for the town to witness and ceremonial welcome to the return of Joe Black.

Hannah screamed, her loudest scream ever.

She looked scathingly at this terrible young woman who simply smiled at her and told her to drink her brandy.

Hannah threw the drink down her throat and chocked and spluttered her way into tears. That damn Nina then had the audacity to enquire, "Feel better now?"

Hannah heard herself using a string of oaths, not quite directed at Nina but out on the porch Joe and Vic heard clearly the words, 'My fucking Romeo husband'.

"You can't turn back history Hannah," Nina intoned. Hannah sobbed, "Don't keep saying that."

Hannah cried herself out and wiping her eyes heard Nina ask, "Feeling better?"

She nodded and began walking away, turning at the door to state quietly: "Joe can have his day. But I won't be there."

"Not even at the wedding."

"No." She left the room to hear Nina call tensely, "Then there won't be a wedding."

Hannah went to her bed and cried herself asleep.

Almost two hours later Hannah went down, dressed for dinner, hoping that Nina had the brains to supervise the cook-housekeeper and to set the table.

The kitchen was fine, cook was happy and the table was set immaculately.

"Hi Hannah," Nina said walking into the dining room with her drink and one for Hannah. "I'm really looking forward to meeting your Margo and making my own mind up about this husband of hers. I believe we are in for a lovely evening."

Hannah managed to hold back the tears. Oh why wasn't Margo as soft and beautiful as this woman?

"Where are the men?"

"On the porch, spruced up a bit."

"You look lovely in Western clothes but I had imagined you in a silk dress."

"I brought one with me, perhaps another night. We would like to stay a full week with you if we may?"

"A week? I want you here much longer than that."

"We must prepare for handover day."

"Oh yes, of course. Let's go through to the men, one of whom appears to be a gentleman."

"I'm working on Vic."

"You think my husband is a gentleman?"

"Yes, in his own way with his old fashion courtesy to women, I think Joe Black is very much a gentleman. I think you acknowledge that deep down."

"There you go again with Joe Black."

"Get used to it – you'll hear it all the time back at The Town."

"But I won't be there."

"Hannah, I'm calling your bluff. You are too much of a lady to deny a girl her wedding."

"Nina Raymond, you are a complex package – under that lace and spice hovers a woman of steel."

"Lace and spice...woman of steel," Nina laughed. "Hannah, you've been reading too many old-time Western paperbacks."

"Come on," Hannah smiled. The gentlemen will be eager for our company."

Both men stood, their grins not wide, and Hannah felt responsible for that. She kissed them both and after Nina kissed them she kissed Nina and patted her back in a motherly fashion.

"Joe Black, I want you to do well when you return to The Town and I'll be there to support you."

Both men whooped and as that died they heard an excited woman's voice cry, "What's going on over there?"

"Hi Margo, Kevin," Joe called. "I'm teaching Vic to whoop. Come inside for pre-dinner drinks and introductions."

Hannah watched the two young women size each other up in a flash, Margo being outclassed in height, looks and charm by the visitor, but perhaps not unduly so – she appeared to be doing her best. Nina complimented Margo on her beautiful auburn hair – it did look lovely – and took Margo in linked arms to introduce her to Vic.

Margo would never attempt physical contact with anyone on a first meeting. Well judged, Nina, Hannah thought, by not attempting to kiss my rather stiff daughter.

Kevin was a little taken aback when introduced by Nina by Joe and she grinned and said, "G'day mate, How're going?"

"Good evening," he said eyeing her, noting her eyes did not fall away. "Do you find Australians amusing?"

Hannah wondered if she should intervene and Margo looked nervous.

Nina took the rather unfriendly retort unruffled. "I would think no more amusing that other nationals, though more relaxed that most. "I loved Australia."

"You've been there?" Kevin asked, looking a little more interested.

"Oh yes, four times actually, but never to the Territory where Joe Black says you and Margo were stationed. My father was in Australia on business so mom and I did the touristy things."

"Oh, the malls?"

"Yes, naturally, but also she and I traveled across to Perth by train on one trip, from Adelaide to Alice on another, went on outback safaris, explored the Great Barrier Reef, went to old towns like Charters Towers and hiked for a week out of Cairns. I'm not a person much into galleries and museums – I like it live and outdoors, preferably very outdoors."

"Do you ride? I'm aware you worked here for almost a year but that was in guest management."

"Yes."

"I was thinking of asking you to ride with me tomorrow to shift some bulls but it will be a tiring day, at least six hours."

Joe cut in, "Nina is up to that, take Juna."

"You ride Juna?"

"Yes why?"

"Well no-one is allowed to ride Juna."

They turned to look at Joe but he was walking off to pour himself another drink.

"Will you be coming with us Margo?"

"No, we've hit a snag installing the radio network on our computers. I have to work on that and mom said Vic is a bit of a wiz with computers so I've seconded him. But if you want Vic to ride with you as chaperone, that's fine. I'll plug along unassisted."

Nina laughed and said it would be fine riding without Vic.

"Well, at the barn at 6:00 then," Kevin said. "You'll have to saddle Juna, none of us are allowed near her, Margo included," he said pointedly. Nina turned to Margo and shrugged helplessly. Margo acknowledged with a smile, saying, "That's dad."

During dinner Nina seized an opportunity to whisper to Joe: "Why won't you allow Margo to ride Juna or at least make it known she's free to ride Juna; I'm so embarrassed about this?"

"To Margo a horse is a horse. You are attempting to become one with a horse, any horse that will bond with you like that. I've sometimes thought of Juna and you, but I could never part with her. If she survives my riding days, she's yours."

"Stop it, you'll make me cry."

"See what I mean? Margo rarely emotes. I believe horses know people through the feel of people and by that I don't mean just an appreciative pat on the forehead. On a ranch we ride horses cruelly at times and the ones that feel appreciated work hardest, always giving their best. There are horses of course that can be just as lazy as people."

* * *

They rode out at 6:20, Nina arriving to find Joe had already saddled up Juna who offered no recognition of her. Nina kissed Joe a thanks and walked Juna out, her head alongside Nina's shoulder. She walked the horse in figure-eights until Kevin came out and they were away. Once clear of the stables they broke into a canter.

Slowing the horses for a rest when they went through the one-mile gate the riders chatted. Eventually Nina said, "I see you carry a rifle – incorporating brass thingy where the bullets are side-loaded."

Kevin drew it out and fired at an imaginary target. "It was the first thing I bought apart from necessities when arriving in this country," he said. "It's a replica and I'm very proud of it. It's called a 19 inch, which is the barrel length, Yellow Boy saddle ring carbine, based on a gun of 1866."

Kevin said it weighed only seven and a half pounds. "Here, feel it," he said tossing it to Nina. She caught it in one hand and swung it into position.

"I thought it would be much heavier."

"Many of them are, especially sporting rifles. This is a cowboy's gun. Fire off a round if you wish; it's loaded with twelve."

"Some other time; I've never fired a gun."

"Please yourself," he said, taking the rifle back.

Three hours later they were forcing the last trio of poll (hornless) Angus bulls out of a thicket when the trailing bull fell. Kevin had been riding up close behind it and was watchful but was given little time to react. The bull had slithered round and regained its feet at right angles to Kevin's horse, very close up. The bull took the couple of paces forward and lowering its head and soundlessly tossed the horse. The bull trotted off as Nina came charging in.

The horse was screaming in pain and Kevin with a head wound had lost conscious momentarily and was groaning, opening his eyes again.

"Are you okay?" Nina asked, anxious and sweaty.

"For the moment – shoot the horse."

"What?"

"Shoot the horse – either his leg or back is broken."

"But you're half trapped under him."

"We'll come to that problem later. Shoot the fucking horse, it's in agony. Careful not to shoot me."

Nina struggled with all her strength to worm the rifle free and listened as Kevin told her what to do. The heat was searing in the rocky bowl and Nina had to wipe the sweat from her eyes to see properly after wrestling to free the rifle. She imagined that was pain in the horse's eye and not terror as she pulled the trigger, blood splattering on to her.

"Are you okay," she called calmly.

"Doing fine – that was a truly great horse; I could cry. I'm very grateful that you're stayed calm."

"Did I have a choice?"

"Many women may have fled, at least for a while, I reckon."

"That's conjecture. Women are tougher than what men are prepared to acknowledge. What now?"

"Dunno. Oh shit, I'm going to vomit."

Nina rushed to him, tearing off her shirt and cradled his head while her vomited, mainly bile. She thought he'd lost consciousness again but he grunted, "Sorry for the mess; fortunately I eat only a light breakfast when I ride. Why are you nude?"

"I took my shirt off to wipe your face, silly. Here, allow me."

"You're a tough chick, Nina. Little wonder Joe idolizes you and has high regard for Vic."

"What are you talking about?"

Kevin winced in pain and was silent for a couple of seconds. "When we first arrived Hannah and Joe talked on and on about you two; they made us feel almost of if we weren't wanted, that it should have been your two here running the ranch, not us."

"Oh dear, sorry. Vic and I are naturally open and friendly which tends to win friends."

"Joe idolizes you, Nina. Unfortunately finding out that has rather hurt Margo."

"Oh dear, of course it would. I'm sorry, we'll leave tomorrow."

"Like hell you will. I hope I have a tomorrow."

"What do you mean?"

"My vision is going blurry. Could be internal bleeding. My head hit a rock."

"No, no – it's concussion, yes that's what it is," Nina said desperately. "How can I get this dead horse off you?"

"You can't, my left leg is all the way along to his front leg, still in the stirrup I think. It will take two perhaps three men to move him."

"I'll get a log and use it as a lever."

"A log, out here? You have to be kidding. Oh God, my sight is going, so am I. Fainting I think."

"Kevin, Kevin! It will be concussion; this is your brain closing down to assist healing."

"Or hemorrhaging," Kevin sighed. "Try to build a shelter over me but don't bother keeping me awake. Nobody will be coming any time soon. Spend time trying to think our way out of this."

Seconds later Kevin was no longer answering Nina. Her tears were flowing but she refused to allow herself to really cry, to fall into heartbroken sobbing. She accepted the futility of crying.

She tried her phone but there was no signal as they were behind mountains. She wondered would a radio could have make contact and recalled the old rule recommending working or riding in inhospitable conditions in threes, allowing one person to stay with the victim, the other to ride for help. Well, none of that mattered right now.

Nina put their food and liquids into the shade; some food and water were in Kevin's saddle bag under the horse. Oh well. She checked the time and at least that was on their side – just after 10:00. Hours and hours of daylight left. When they failed to return by 1:30 perhaps 2:00 someone would come looking for them. Joe knew the sector they were working in. How could she reduce that time before they were found? What had Kevin said – try thinking us out of this mess or something like that.

She looked at Juna and Juna, head low, looked back at her.

"Juna!"

She removed the saddle, tied the reins together, swearing because she didn't have paper or pen to attach a note. Frustrated, Nina stomped off in a rage and found herself looking down at a dried water course. She wandered down, frustrated and spotted a type of wildflower she couldn't recall ever seeing. That would have to do – perhaps miraculously it would survive the journey on Juna and Joe would recognize the locality of the rare plant. Rare? In all probability it was everywhere, in clumps of an acre of a time. Then again it could be some sort of surviving water weed: that would cut down places to look.

Nina wiped dried blood off the side of Kevin's head with her dampened handkerchief, put the plant inside the handkerchief and then attached it to the reins with a leather leg ties from the bundle on Kevin's saddle, kissed Juna on the nose, telling her to do her duty and then sent her on her way with a slap on the rump.

Returning to Kevin Nina lifted her smelly shirt laced with vomit off Kevin's head – his breathing was ragged, but she expected that. Her worst fear was infection – that could kill him before he reached hospital. She accepted she'd down her best and replaced the shirt, making sure it didn't touch his wound. Nina sat beside him, pulling the saddle blanked off Juna over her face as protection from the burning sun.

Just as she was drifting off, Nina groaned and began weeping in frustration. It was all range to the one-mile fence – the fence one mile out from the main barn. The gate would be shut; Juna would have to wait for it to be opened, by someone - but when?

Nina heard the sound while still asleep. She became absolutely certain of that. She awoke and knew it was the sound of an incoming helicopter. She screamed with delight and looking down realized Kevin was not saying anything. Fearfully she reached down and began sobbing again, this time with relief as a beating heart was under her hand.

Scanning around she picked the flattest piece of ground, believing if she pranced around she'd be more noticeable than on a rocky top. Her white bra should stand out against her olive skin and the background of browns. She was also wearing white pants so off came her boots, off came her jeans and she hauled her riding boots back on. She waited and waited, initially very upset because rescue was not coming rapidly. She then realized the helicopter was flying a systematic search pattern, probably in overlapping grids. She'd seen that search pattern portrayed in films with maps showing such grids. She smiled, and sat on her ass, feet drawn up, and her jeans over her shoulders for some sun protection. The search was thorough: they'd be found.

* * *

Joe came out of the bard and his eyes narrowed and his chin thrust forward as he prepared to bawl out this rider coming in with the horse almost on to its knees in fatigue. He recognized the black gelding and mouthed the rider's name, Betsy. Betsy would have reason for riding like this.

"Boss, trouble out on the range. I found Juna at the one mile fence, unsaddled, reins tied. There's this blood-stained handkerchief with a weed wrapped in it."

"Great Betsy, look after your horse. This is Nina's work, she and Vic arrived in last night and she and Kevin went out to the south-west quadrant this morning to shift those new Angus bulls."

Joe rode a four-wheeler to the house, rushed in and yelled, "Kevin's hurt – no details."

He called in a helicopter with stretcher and then alerted the nearest hospital, hushing Margo who was crying almost hysterically.

"Sorry darling, no details. Betsy found Juna at the mile fence, a bloodstained handkerchief with this plant in it."

"What's the use of that?" Margo screamed at him. "It's that know-all girl; she's got herself into trouble and something's happened to Kevin attempting to rescue her." "Maybe, maybe not. My thinking is the girl's acting according to script."

"What script, what on earth are you talking about daddy? You said you have no details. Are you mad?"

"Calm down baby," Joe said, almost squeezing the breath out of her. She clung to him, sobbing.

"What's wrong," Hannah called, barging in and trailed by Vic.

"Kevin's in trouble. I've called a chopper. I was told they will be here within fifteen minutes."

"It's Nina who's brought trouble on him," Margo called and resumed her sobbing.

"Hush baby, you're overwrought," Joe said. "You say that and I say Nina's in the process of really becoming a cowgirl. Neither of us knows for sure but Nina's style is written all over this."

12