Those Eyes Ch. 09

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I don't know what possessed me to do it but I unlocked the door and disabled the key pad. "Bring it." I whispered to myself, knowing that something was about to happen. No more than a minute passed before I noticed a small, dark-skinned girl approach the building. Her head was bowed but I could tell she was on alert, sensing for something. As if all of my common sense returned, I reached to lock the door but was frozen to the spot when she lifted her head and our eyes met.

Staring back at me was yet another set of eyes nearly identical to my own. Everything slowed down around me as I watched her eyes harden dramatically as she reached for the door. She was standing directly in front of me, staring at me with those cold eyes as if she was waiting for something. I took a moment to appraise her, this girl who was surely my sister.

She had skin the color of peanut butter with a golden hue to it. Her face was graced with full lips, and high cheekbones, and she had what I'd call a button nose. Her hair was black and glossy and set on her head in a high ponytail that caressed her lean shoulders. She couldn't have been more than 5 feet, 3 inches tall but her lack of height did nothing to make her less intimidating. Her eyes, yes they were like mine, but hers were so cold and unforgiving.

"I didn't think you'd make this so easy for me," she said. Her voice was deep and raspy, but still pleasing in a strange way.

It was the lengthening of her teeth and claws that helped to snap me out of my reverie and I felt that newly primal part of my being rejoice with the anticipation of battle.

"Maybe I'll get you riled up, so, it'll be a fair fight. I'd hate to fight someone as weak as you, someone who can't even control her abilities," the petite, exotic girl spat at me in disgust.

I was shocked at her words, but then it hit me: the red-haired girl. She must have told her what she'd heard at the lab. I briefly wondered how many more of them there were. Either way, I was determined that there'd be one less after today.

"Where's your vampire lover and his siblings? No one here to protect you now, Santana?"

I listened to her taunts, not saying a single word. It was her use of my name that caused me to speak. "It seems unfair that you know my name and I don't know yours. Especially considering who you are to me." My curiosity for the girl in front of me warred with the part of me that wanted her dead for threatening my new life.

My question seemed to throw her off and she visibly faltered in her fighter's stance. For a brief moment, I saw her eyes soften, only to harden once more. "Aara," she said with far more uncertainty than she had displayed merely seconds before. "And I am nothing to you as you are to me."

"And the redhead...what's her name?" I asked, ignoring her last comment and the part of my being that was thirsty for bloodshed.

Her stance once again weakened and she shot me a look that I couldn't quite place. "Carmendi," she whispered.

I could tell that my line of questioning had shaken her. She regained her posture, but her eyes weren't quite as cold as they had been before.

"Don't make this harder than it has to be, Princess. You make this difficult and the doctor may decide that you're not our only target on this mission." She saw the realization in my eyes and smirked. "That's right, your little lover too."

With those words, she sealed her fate.

***

Aara was shaken at seeing her so close up. It seemed to make the situation more real, but the mission was still there. She would be bringing her oldest sister back with her.

Since they had arrived in DC, she'd been on edge. There was too much stimulation in this city, too much to block from her heightened senses. There seemed to be too much oxygen, too much noise, too much pollution, and too many people. Then there was that feeling, that unsettling feeling that made her feel as if the air was saturated with static electricity. They needed to complete this mission and get back home, she needed to escape that feeling.

The dreams had also started once she'd gotten here. She'd close her eyes, in need of a good night's sleep, and she'd be accosted by the iciest blue eyes staring back at her. There was always mischief and humor in those eyes, two things she couldn't afford in her life. Those eyes reminded her of the same spark she always saw in Carmen's eyes. It was why being in her baby sister's company as of late had grated on her nerves; it was why she had attacked her earlier that day.

She could see the conflict within Santana, how her sister couldn't decide whether to fight her or hug her. She couldn't allow Santana to see the same uncertainty within her own demeanor. She fought the lump that threatened to form in her throat at Santana's words. Complete the mission and go home, she said over and over in her head.

When her oldest sister mentioned Carmendi, Aara was hit with immediate feelings of guilt. Her youngest sister hadn't deserved the physical abuse she had suffered today. Concentrate; I'll apologize to her when I return with Santana, she thought to herself. She needed to bait the woman in front of her; she needed to end this line of conversation before her determination cracked, before she walked out of that building empty handed.

"That's right, your little lover too."

Bingo.

Aara watched Santana's face harden, she watched her green eyes with the blue ring become cold, and she braced herself for what was to come.

Faster than Aara could anticipate with her senses, Santana had launched herself across the few feet separating them, claws and teeth ready. Aara only managed to turn her body slightly in the short span of time, and Santana managed to place three deep gashes spanning the length of Aara's side.

Aara hadn't been expecting that, but she was ready now, excited for what was sure to be a fun fight. Not once did she contemplate the odds being in her sister's favor.

The metallic scent of blood filled the foyer of the building and baser side of Santana reveled in it. With more strength than someone her size should have possessed, Santana was thrown away from her sister only to land in crouched stance less than a second before she felt one of Aara's tiny feet connect with the side of her face with a jaw-breaking crunch. Before her head had a chance to snap fully to the side, another kick was placed on the other cheek, sending Santana's head in the opposite direction.

More than slightly dazed by the impact, Santana grabbed a hold on the leg still suspended in midair and pulled with all of her might, causing her younger sister to lose her footing and hit the floor, her head slamming into the marble with a sickening smack. Not giving her a chance to recover, Santana was on her immediately, landing blow after blow to the perfect face of her little sister as the smaller woman beneath her clawed at her back and sides, drawing copious amounts of blood. She knew it was time to finish this before she bled out.

Leaning over the abused body, Santana fought the slight shiver of despair at what she was about to do. An errant tear ran from her eye, falling to land on the bruised cheek of her sister's face. She was doing this for Alex, but it still hurt. All her life she had wanted siblings, longed for that deep sense of companionship, and here she was, about to take the life of an answer to those long-forgotten prayers.

Aara stopped flailing her limps and closed her eyes as she felt tears that weren't her own grace her stinging skin. She should have been frightened; this had not gone how she had expected it to, but she couldn't bring herself to feel fear. A part of her welcomed this. What she had been subjected to since birth wasn't living. She quickly thought through her regrets. There weren't many, only two. She regretted not being able to say goodbye to her siblings who she loved more than life itself. The other she was surprised by. She regretted never knowing the reason behind that magical, unsettling feeling.

As Santana opened her mouth wide, ready to rip out the throat of her baby sister, Aara's voice caused her to pause. "I am so sorry, Santana."

***

That was how Alex and his siblings found them: Santana straddling the body of the small girl, raven hair tangled together, angelic faces bloodied and mere inches apart.

They had been in his suite, discussing a solution to the new problem at hand. The only solution being to track down the strange girl with hair the color of blood. Calls were made. Favors were asked. And once Alex felt somewhat relieved he opened the connection between himself and his mate to check on her.

She was close but not nearly as close as she had been when he last checked. Fear, anxiety, anger, bloodlust, pain, and despair flooded their bond, bringing tears to his eyes. He leapt up immediately, running towards the door without any explanation to the people around him. It was unnecessary; they followed without words. As soon as the door was open, the smell of blood streamed into the apartment, causing everyone to pause in their retreat. Alex felt his fangs elongate as he recognized the sweet scent of his mate's blood. But before he could move once more, he was nearly thrown to the ground as Aaron pushed past him, running for the stairs.

Adam helped him to regain his footing and they were all off, running towards a scent that made all of them want to tear something apart. Alex had never wished for teleportation more than he did in that moment. The trek from his penthouse suite to the front foyer took much too long, and his anxiety climbed to the new heights with each step he took towards the love of his life.

Finally turning the corner of the first floor towards the front door a second behind Aaron, they all froze at the scene before them. There was so much blood, its scent polluting the air around them along with the salty scent of tears. Before the scene could be fully taken in, Aaron moved in a blur, Alex right behind him. Without having the chance to be stopped, Aaron ripped Santana away from the other body and threw her back carelessly.

With supernatural reflexes, Alex caught his injured mate in his arms, falling to his knees at the sight of her. Her broken bones, bruises, and cuts were already healing, but it was the miserable look on her face that brought him to tears.

"I was about to do it," she whispered and began sobbing in his arms. He cradled her tightly against his body, not caring that the blood was staining his designer clothes. She muttered against his chest, shaking with her sorrow.

"Shhh. It's okay," he whispered into her hair.

Aaron couldn't believe it. That scent, it was so spicy yet sweet, and called him on a level he had never realized before. She was close. She was his. She was bleeding! He had rushed from the room, not caring who was in his path. He had only one need, to get to her. He had nearly fallen down the stairs three times before he finally reached the first floor. Not slowing in his pace, he rounded the corner and he saw her.

Not caring about the consequences, he rushed forward, throwing a weakened Santana away from the small body haphazardly. Deep down, he knew his brother would never let her touch the floor, but that was only a brief thought as his mind was now consumed with the girl in front of him. With gentle hands, he picked up her broken body and rested her head against his chest. She was so small and even through the already-fading bruises, he could tell that she was beyond stunning. He checked her over, ensuring that everything was healing properly, then put his cool hand against her cheek, silently begging her to open her eyes.

She turned towards his warmth and whimpered slightly. He watched with bated breath as her eyelids fluttered several times before finally revealing pools of emerald green heaven.

"Mine," he whispered.

12