Through the Looking Glass

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Lisa nodded and moved next to him, "I saw the same thing on my side. Items on our desks were... rearranged, shuffled out of place; almost as if the lab we saw... wasn't our lab."

"But it was our lab," Mitch muttered, thoughts flying through his brain and arranging the images he saw into order, "...or was it?"

He went to his desk and turned on his computer, pulling the flash reader out of his pocket and plugging it in. Images of the lab from yesterday popped up, and Mitch checked the time code on the part when the reactor breached: 11:37 AM. Almost one minute later, the light wave raced out of the crack in the containment sphere and washed over the scientists, and Mitch's eyes went wide with shock as he froze the image.

"Lisa, look at this."

She peered at the screen, her face matching his expression, "The swirling light we just saw!"

"Yes," Mitch nodded, "The light wave from the accident; it looks exactly like the phenomenon we just saw!" He looked at the clock on the far wall and the time in the corner of the computer screen; 11:39 AM, "That... thing that just happened occurred at about the same time the accident occurred yesterday!" He checked his watch; 11:40 AM, "My watch is one minute fast; I set it to the time on the computer. Did that... 'thing' do something to the time?"

"That photonic wave that hit us," said Lisa, her mind clicking ideas and thoughts into place, "it must have done something to us. But the doctors said that there was nothing abnormal in us; we were checked out, and we're fine."

"Nothing the doctors could detect, at least," Mitch countered, still going over the images on the computer screen, "I felt that... flush of energy go through me before the... whatever it was appeared; you did, too. And when it vanished, that same flush rushed back into us. Whatever this thing is... I think we're the ones creating it."

"But what was it?" Lisa got closer to Mitch and hugged him, "Mitch... this is scaring me. What's going on?"

Mitch held her close and comforted her, "Don't you worry, honey. It didn't hurt us, whatever it was. We're going to check this out with the equipment we have and come up with an answer. If it is what I think it is, we've got a whole new set of possibilities waiting for us."

Lisa lifted her head from his shoulder, "What do you mean? You know what this thing might be?"

He squinted in concentrated thought and stared at the spot where the swirling energy mass appeared, then quietly answered, "Maybe."

Mitch was going to continued, but was interrupted when Darrin strolled back into the lab with a very sour look plastered on his face.

"I just got off the phone with Sam Cooke, our state representative; he and I go way back. He knows about the N.R.C. and what they have planned for us. Guys... I'm sorry, but there's nothing anybody can do at this point. Brandford's got the whole thing tied up in Committee forums, and from the sounds of them they're determined to shut down this whole project; some bullshit about 'affecting the economic growth of the country' and 'possible inherent dangers of unknown effects'."

"He means 'affecting his own economic growth'," said Mitch with rancor dripping from his teeth, "That greedy, money grubbing bastard!"

"Mitch, I'm sorry," Darrin said, laying a hand on his shoulder, "but it's all politics now; they've got us pinned down with bureaucratic bullshit, and my friends don't see a way out of it. I'm sorry."

Mitch just nodded, not saying anything else.

"What do we do now?"

Darrin answered Lisa, "For now, we just go about like 'business as usual', except for the fusion project. Your team is going to be needed in other labs and departments, so for the time being you two have the whole lab here to yourselves. Continue with your other projects and don't worry about the subpoena that's coming; we'll deal with it when the time comes."

Mitch sighed, "Alright... thanks for trying, Darrin."

He patted Mitch on the shoulder and left the lab again, leaving the two scientists by themselves once more.

"Mitch, why didn't you say something about... what just happened?"

He turned to Lisa, and, "Because I want to make sure we know what it is before we say anything. In the meantime, we've got work to do."

For the whole day, Mitch and Lisa set up cameras and monitoring equipment all around the laboratory and readied the computers for the next time the phenomenon showed itself.

The next morning, the vortex reappeared at precisely 11:37AM and vanished exactly one minute afterward. Poking their heads through it, they both saw the lab inside the swirling mass, this time with the lights on and even saw two of their team members frozen in place, as if walking passed it without even giving it a second glance.

For two solid weeks, the pair of 'wizards' examined the strange vortex and its bizarre effects, studying it and the weird readings their instruments were recording. During that time, Mitch and Lisa performed direct contact experiments with the vortex, and came away with some rather unique findings.

First off, they had discovered that not only were both of them needed to generate the power to create the vortex, they both needed to be in close proximity to each other in order to do it; they measured it and found they needed to be no more than three feet from each other. Along with that, they found that the vortex could only be opened between 11:37 and 11:38AM, Lisa edging up to Mitch and creating the energy mass together eleven seconds before it closed at its scheduled time. The mass stayed stationary relative to their positions and would hold steady upon approach, but once they backed away from it, the swirl of light tracked their movements and kept pace with them for roughly five feet.

Mitch deduced that it was the particles from the light wave that hit them when the reactor sphere cracked. The particles that created the energy inside were being held in place by a pseudo-quantum field thanks to an ionic pulse that reversed the electromagnetic charge of the particles. In that state of quantum flux, the particles were in a kind of alternate space relative to the 'normal' space the reactor occupied.

When the particles were released when the sphere cracked, Mitch theorized that they tunneled their way through that alternate space and into 'normal' space, via what scientists call an Einstein-Rosen bridge (a theoretical 'wormhole', allowing matter to pass from one space or universe to another), and those particles and their energy were now somehow inside the two of them.

Since the initial test of the reactor ran for only sixty seconds, that's how long the particles would be able to generate that 'bridge', and at precisely that time every day due to some quantum theories, only half of which either Mitch or Lisa could fully understand.

Two interesting developments occurred during their investigation. The first involved what they saw beyond the vortex... or rather what they didn't see at times. On one viewing, Mitch and Lisa saw their lab once again with only a few things out of place when compared to their own lab.

But the next day revealed something startlingly different; there was no lab in sight. The scientists saw an open field of bushes, tall grass and weeds, and a few trees scattered here and there... and it was raining, the sight of the drops frozen in mid-air making them grin. Lisa put her hand through the opening and, when she pulled it back out, it and her sleeve were wet and covered in rain water. A few other views showed somewhat of the same thing; one view was of farmland, the other was another field... this time with snow on the ground.

This lead to another discovery: they found that they could leave things from their 'dimension' in the one beyond the vortex (Mitch threw a pen through it and saw it bounce on the floor of the 'other' lab, disappearing with the closing gateway), and vice versa (Lisa's rain soaked hand and a flower she picked that was within her reach being the proof).

The second development was when Darrin walked in on them just as the vortex appeared. Mitch and Lisa were prepared to explain what was going on to him, but didn't get the chance. When the opening formed, Darrin stopped in mid-stride, frozen in his tracks and didn't make a sound. The pair didn't say a single word about the incident after the opening vanished and Darrin resumed his gait, oblivious to what had happened as if the phenomenon never occurred.

Mitch reasoned that this was why his watch was one minute fast. While the vortex froze everything around it, it also froze time for the minute that it remained open. Since he and Lisa were unaffected by the stoppage of time, the watch he wore kept running at its normal pace, 'adding' another minute to their dimension from their point of view.

Near the end of those two weeks, Mitch and Lisa put their theories and observations together. They concluded that the gateways were indeed just that: doorways, not just to other dimensions, but alternate dimensions. Mitch explained to Lisa the theory, that some scientists believe, that the universe isn't really a universe, but rather a multiverse; different universes running parallel to one another. They were seeing the same Earth, the same area of space they were currently in, and (from what they could tell) the same time and/or era.

But each universe was different; alternate events were happening in them as a result of what Mitch described as a 'decision point'. Someone would make a decision or an event would happen that could either subtly or catastrophically change their existence (or not) and, depending on the choice or event, two different versions of reality would occur, both realities running parallel to each other.

Some realities would be almost identical with the differences so infinitesimal that they would be considered 'unimportant' in the grand scheme of things, while others would be so radically altered that no outside observer would be able to recognize them.

"Think of it, Lisa," he had said, "Billions of people making choices that could lead their lives in one direction or the other. All of those alternate universes where the choice was or wasn't made, things that happened or didn't happen. The same Earth but different realities, maybe even different histories; the number of alternates are astronomical... and we've found the doorway! We have the power to make the gateways that open onto other realities!"

The openings they created led to 'bridges' between the universes and when the gateways were opened, the dimension the pair was in would come to a halt until the gateway disappeared and the dimension line would resume its normal pace. Mitch guessed that anyone on the other side of the opening wouldn't know it was there either because it wasn't technically in their universe, and their dimensional line flow would cease until the vortex closed... if anyone decided to go through and stay there to observe it.

This was what Mitch and Lisa were discussing the next morning. They agreed that the only way to be sure that these passage ways were indeed 'bridges' to other universes... was to go through them. The potential for discovery and scientific knowledge surpassed anything they had previously worked on and learned about.

But the ramifications were equally daunting, the chance of landing in a reality that wasn't exactly stable or desirable, or even altering events that shouldn't be changed, either by accident or on purpose by any action they took... or didn't take. Though the concepts were mind boggling, Lisa seemed eager to try. But, after giving it some critical thought, Mitch balked a little.

"Lisa, I don't know about this," he said, running a hand through his hair, "It's a daring experiment and the potential is so great I can't even begin to imagine all the things we could come across. But should we take the chance? If we wind up in a dimension that isn't exactly friendly... or even one where we won't be able to survive..."

"But Mitch, we can see whether or not the alternate reality is suitable," Lisa countered, "We can check it out and, if it isn't desirable, we just don't go through... or we go through and can come back if the place isn't..."

"Whoa; hold it," Mitch interrupted, "We don't know that for sure. How do you know the vortex will stay open for that full minute once we go through it? It could easily close on us once we're on the other side."

Lisa scrunched her face, annoyed that she didn't consider that possibility. That scenario frightened her, the consequences of 'not looking before they leaped', and potentially arriving in an unfriendly world that could either be a mere nuisance or an insane nightmare.

They were interrupted when Darrin walked in, this time with a concerned look on his face.

"Guys, the subpoena just arrived... and it's not good news. It's calling for your arrests."

"What?" they said, almost at the same time.

Darrin sadly nodded, "They're charging the two of you with 'unethical experimentation and inciting a terrorist threat against the country'. They view the fusion project as 'subversive' and want both of you placed into custody for questioning."

Mitch threw up his hands in frustration, "This is ridiculous! Of course they would consider putting the oil and coal industries out of business 'subversive'! I can't believe Brandford's stooping this low in order to save his own selfish ass!"

Darrin thumbed at the door, "The authorities are waiting outside for you; I told them I would escort you out and that you would give them no trouble. Mitch, Lisa... there's no alternative anymore; you have to go with them."

Mitch glanced at the clock on the wall and nodded, "Alright; we'll go with you."

"Mitch!" Lisa protested, "We can't just give in to them!"

"We don't have a choice... not here, anyway," he replied with a slightly raised eyebrow, hoping she would take the hint, and continued, "Darrin, before we go there's something you need to see." Mitch gestured at his computer, its screen flashing equations and diagrams. Lisa started towards him, but he waved a quick hand at her telling her to wait and slowly backed away from the desk until he was next to her.

Just as Darrin knelt over the screen, Mitch and Lisa felt the tingling of the quantum energy start to flow through their bodies.

"What am I looking at, Mitch?"

Before he could get a response, all of reality froze in place as the ring of light rushed out of the two scientists and formed the vortex.

"It time to make the choice, Lisa," said Mitch, his insides starting to quiver, "For all purposes, our work here is finished; the cards are stacked against us and we won't be able to get out of this mess cleanly."

"If we do this," she replied, equally terrified, "there's no way we can come back to this universe, not in our lifetimes and not without a little luck."

"I know," he checked his watch; forty-five seconds left, "It's now or never; do we do it?"

Lisa eyed the opening with trepidation, but nodded, "We've got nothing left here..." and put on her daring grin, "let's do it."

Mitch nodded, then quickly walked over to the computer and yanked out the flash reader, pocketing it. With a sad look, he gently laid a hand on Darrin's shoulder and silently said 'goodbye' to his good friend, then turned to Lisa.

"Okay, 'Alice'; ready to go through the looking glass?"

Lisa matched Mitch's smirk, even though her insides were doing flip-flops, and answered, "Ready when you are, 'Mad Hatter'."

With thirty seconds left, the pair braced themselves in front of the vortex.

"Mitch," said Lisa, the worry evident in her quivering voice, "I'm scared."

He turned to her and took her hand into his, "I know... so am I."

Hand in hand, they walked up to it, took a breath, mentally counted to three... and jogged through the swirling mass of light as the mirror surface melted around their bodies and fluctuated once they were through.

The energy washed over them like water for only a second or two, and suddenly they found themselves in the laboratory... but not their laboratory. They saw that all the lights were dimmed and the equipment was turned off once they got their bearings. A second after their feet made contact with the floor, the vortex winked and sputtered before shrinking down and its energy raced back into them with both of them turning around to see that the gateway was gone.

"You were right," said Lisa, checking her watch and looking at the spot where the vortex disappeared, "The gateway closed right after we stepped through. It didn't stay open after we passed through it; it still had ten more seconds to go," she got a look at the darkened lab, and added, "There's no going back now, even if we wanted to; the trillions of universes out there... it would take a miracle to get back to our own."

Mitch nodded slowly, "Well... we are committed, aren't we. It doesn't even seem real, but it is; we're in an alternate universe."

"We must be... because our clothes have been 'altered', too."

Mitch gave Lisa a quizzical look, then looked at himself and found she was right.

Lisa was no longer wearing the pink shirt and dark blue slacks she had on before their journey; she was now in the white blouse and black skirt she put on when they confronted Agent Foster two weeks ago, and the flats she had on were now heels. Mitch's white dress shirt and dark brown slacks were replaced with a light gray golf shirt and black jeans, and gray sneakers instead of his black gum soled lab shoes.

"How did this happen?"

Mitch turned to her and answered, "I'm not sure. Maybe... maybe when we entered this reality, it 'morphed' itself around us; including us in this universe and making us part of it. Maybe this is 'us' in this universe as we're suppose to appear."

"But, if we're here now... where are the 'us' that are suppose to be here?"

Mitch started to say something but, trying to jumble the events and happenings into something coherent and not succeeding, shook his head and said, "We need some time to think this through and come up with an explanation that makes sense. For right now, let's just take it one step at a time; we'll figure it out, eventually. To start with, let's get an idea of where we stand here in this reality."

The pair explored their surroundings, finding things almost the same but with a few differences... 'almost' being the appropriate word.

Where the fusion reactor stood in their own universe, in this one there was nothing but box after crate after carton of materials and equipment in its place. Mitch and Lisa examined the contents of the crates, and their eyes lit up in surprise when they found the containment sphere inside one of them, untouched and still protected in bubble wrapping.

Mitch and Lisa were startled when the door to the lab banged open and Darrin walked in with a smile.

"Hey, you two; welcome home," he said cheerfully, then folded his arms and gave them a comical, mock scolding look, "You didn't have to cut your honeymoon short because of this; the reactor components are going anywhere."

Lisa and Mitch hit each other with looks of utter shock.

'Honeymoon'?

* * *

...to be continued.