Time to Think Ch. 03

Story Info
Thomas and Sandra face their mistakes.
5.5k words
3.98
102.6k
28

Part 3 of the 3 part series

Updated 10/25/2022
Created 10/10/2011
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Late into the night Thomas lay awake. He thought about the last 6 years of his life. They had been spent with little real personal pleasure. What did he have to show for his time? A string of ex-girlfriends, some the age if his daughter. He had no real friends and no personal passion in his life. How he envied men who lived to hunt or fish. Or those that loved to ski or surf seemed so alive when they were able to do what they loved. Even the men who followed sports had something to look forward to and enjoy. Suddenly Thomas Bridgeman felt all alone.

But it was a feeling he had known since he realized his wife was having an affair. On the day it was proven he felt a little of his heart die. Up until the moment he learned he had cancer he could deal with it. He worked and made money. He found women to bed. He looked for the next challenge. But now that was gone. Not only was he losing his job but it was in such a villainous. The company, no Allen Jamison, wanted Thomas in an isolated area and busy as the cancer ate him alive. That way Allen could pick up his shares of stock cheaply after his death. It was then he recognized the character of the man he worked for. The man who had grown richer by Thomas's efforts. A man that cared only for money.

Thomas began to think of Sandra as he slipped into the twilight of slumber. For a moment he saw her in the times before...while they were still in love. The visions of their children being born came into his minds eyes. And watching them grow warmed his spirits. Yes if he could go to sleep and awaken 10 years in the past this nightmare would be just that.

Sunday morning Thomas made a call. An hour later he was sitting in the home of Daniel Archer. Archer was a raider that had cast an eye toward Allan's holdings but had been unsuccessful in efforts. He was ruthless, but a man of his word. He was curious as to why Thomas Bridgeman was calling. The two men sat in his den drinking coffee discussing the reason for the visit.

"Mr. Archer I have a proposition for you. I want to sell you my stock in Jamison Holdings."

"Why would you want to do that? As soon as Allan Jamison hears about it you'll be fired."

"That won't be a problem Mr. Archer. I intend to resign next week. I'm only stalling for time. If you will allow me I will explain why I am here." Daniel Archer nodded; Thomas continued. "I can get my hands on several blocks of stock in Jamison Holding. If you make a swift offer for the common stock that will be available next Wednesday you can hold over 40% ownership. With that leverage you will be on the board. From there it will be up to you, because I'll be gone."

"Gone? Where are you going?"

Thomas thought a moment. It would be best to tell the truth. "I'll be gone from Jamison Holding and maybe gone from this world." He let that soak in.

"What you got?"

"They tell me advance lymphoma. If I had waited another 2 months it would have been too late. As of now I got about a 40% chance of making it. But I'll be out of it for the next six months with treatment. By then we'll know if I going to make it."

"Son this isn't a line of bullshit is it?" Daniel Archer was a direct man.

"Have you ever known me to lie?" Thomas looked Archer in the eye.

Archer was a gambler. So he took Thomas on face value. He would front the money to purchase the personal blocks and be ready to snatch all common stock that was offered the following Wednesday. By then Thomas had made all the arrangements on his end. At noon Wednesday by a touch of a key on his computer Thomas completed all the ransactions.

Daniel Archer found that Thomas had been wrong about the amount of stock made public by Allan Jamison Holdings. It was much larger that had been indicated. By the 6 p.m. on Wednesday evening Daniel Archer controlled 51.2% of Allen Jamison Holding.

Late Wednesday night Archer called Thomas, "My boy you did a smashing job. I'm giving you a $100,000.00 bonus. And when you get well you come see me."

"Why so generous Mr. Archer?" Thomas asked.

Daniel Archer laughed, "Hell Thomas you earned it. I been trying to get the goods on Jamison for over 5 years and you pulled it off in less than a week. To be truthful I just don't want you as an enemy."

"I'll take that as a compliment."

"It was meant that way my boy. Now you gonna be in the office tomorrow morning?"

"Sure, I'm going in to resign."

"Good, think I'll be there too. I want to personally tell Jamison he works for me now!"

When Allan came in that morning he found Daniel Archer in Thomas's office. Thomas smiled and offered his resignation. "I guess you were gambling on getting my shares when I died Allan. You shouldn't have gambled if you couldn't afford to lose. I knew there was something up when you wanted to send me to Spokane. You used the same sales pitch I used on Jordan. Not only that but you are such a poor liar. Now I'll leave you to get acquainted with your new boss." Thursday was not a pretty day at Allan Jamison Holding.

Two weeks later Thomas started chemo treatment. He called and asked Megon to come stay with him for a couple of weeks till he got his affairs in order. Megon hesitated but relented. When she arrived Thomas learned he was to be a grandfather. Megon cried and begged him not to be mad. She was too ashamed to tell her dad she was pregnant at her wedding.

Thomas held her and said it was ok. He put his hand on her stomach. Looking at her he said her's might be the only grandchild he got to see. That thought made Megon cry even harder.

Megon stayed two weeks then returned home. Thomas was getting chemo in the hospital and would spend the night. That served to allow him to drive himself to and from his treatments. Thomas had always been independent. Now he realized he would need someone to stay with him when the later treatments started. He tried all of his former 'girlfriends' and found when he mentioned cancer they hung up. At least he was not short of money and he had full hospital coverage. Daniel Archer had seen to that as part of Thomas's severance package. But he was alone.

Megon came back one last time as Thomas was admitted for a 6 week hospital stay. He would receive chemo, radiation and a bone marrow transplant. It would be a grueling regiment and one that would require 24/7 care. On Friday morning Megon kissed her dad good-bye and headed home. Her doctor said she couldn't fly again until after the baby was born. Thomas was left all in the care of the hospital nurses.

It was Friday for Sandra. Her first Friday as Chief Cost Analyst. She had replaced the retiring Less Morris. She was in her office at noon when she got the call. It was Megon.

"Mother this is Megon I hope it is ok that I called you at work. I know I haven't been in contact with you like I should."

"Megon I knew it was you. You're the only female that can call me mother. And you can call me anytime you wish. How are you doing?"

"Mother I have something to tell you." Megon said as she began to cry.

"What's the matter? Are you alright?"

"Yes mother, but I'm just so ashamed of myself right now. I want you to know I'm sorry."

"Why, what have you to be sorry about?" Sandra was becoming concerned.

"Mother I'm married. I have been married over 5 months. I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner. I'm sorry I didn't invite you to the wedding. But it was...it was not well planned."

Sandra was a little hurt but she hid it. What her main concern at the moment was the cause of her daughter's despair. "That's alright but why are you so upset now?"

"Mother I had to get married. The baby is due in a month. I so sorry I let you down. I mean I should have waited. We intended to but I mean we didn't intend to...for me to get pregnant, but I did."

"Are you upset because you will make me a grandmother? I am too young you know?" Sandra tired to joke. In truth she was not at all displeased with the prospect of her daughter giving birth. And she was married to the child's father so it sounded. "Megon I'm not upset or in the least bit disappointed. Now you stop crying. There is no need of you being upset any longer."

Megon continued to cry.

"What's wrong? Is it the baby?" Sandra was getting a little frantic.

Megon cleared her throat and assured her mother that was not the problem. "I have some more news mother. I just wanted you to know I'm in Denver about to board a flight home. I've been here with dad. He is in the hospital. Oh mother dad has cancer and might not have long to live."

Those words caused a wave of nausea to flood over Sandra. Thomas had cancer. A man that had always been strong and healthy, now was infected with the dreaded cancer disease. She fought to stay calm. She wanted to reassure Megon. "Where is your father now?"

"Mother he is at Denver General on the 6th floor in the cancer ward."

"I'm sure they are just preparing you for the very worst. Your father is strong and healthy. He'll make it through this just fine. He'll be around long enough to spoil his grandchild and all his grandchildren."

"Oh mother, he is all alone. He has no one to care for him. I want to stay but I have to get home to Bill and for the baby."

It occurred to Sandra she didn't even know her son in laws name. "And who are you now Megon?"

That stumped the emotional girl.

"What I mean Megon what is your married name?"

"Oh I'm sorry mother, I'm Mrs. Bill...William Spencer.:"

"Well Mrs. William Spencer you go home to your husband and look after my grandchild. I'll make sure your father is cared for."

"Mother I don't know if that will work. You see I didn't invite you to the wedding because dad said if you came he couldn't stay. He paid for it all and I..."

"That is no matter right now Mrs. Spencer. You go home and take care of your husband that baby. I'll handle your father."

The call was over. Sandra stood and looked at her office. She had worked hard to get her position. She had just gotten use to her new life. Atlanta was now home. She had Whitney as a lover and friend. It just wasn't fair. Why did Megon have to call!

That Friday evening Sandra was as much an emotional wreck as when she had fist come to Whitney after Thomas had left her. Sandra poured a drink but couldn't manage to get it past her lips. Her mood swung between anger and hysteria. All Whitney could do was listen to her friend and offer what comfort she could. Finally at 11 that night an exhausted Sandra took to her bed. She and Whitney had stopped sleeping together several months earlier.

The next morning Whitney went to check on Sandra and found an unmade bed and a note. "Gone to Denver. Will call" was all it said. Whitney tried Sandra's cell phone and got voice mail. She debated on calling the police but she realized Sandra was most probably already out of the state. All she could do was wait.

At 2 in the afternoon Whitney was waiting by the phone. A tired sounding Sandra told her she was in Kansas City and was stopping to rest. Whitney was relieved. She listened as Sandra explained she just had to tell Thomas how sorry she was for what she had done. And she had to do it in person.

Whitney was a little angry but happy to hear Sandra was in Denver by 10 that evening. It meant that Sandra had not stopped but had driven straight through. Whitney realized that Sandra had driven alone for over 20 hours. Sandra gave Whitney the name and number of her hotel before she hung up. Whitney did verify that her friend was in fact there. With that she went to bed.

Sunday morning Sandra was at the hospital. She found Thomas's room and went to the door. She looked in. He was sedated and had a multitude of tubes running from his body. She checked with the nurses and found there was a danger of infection due to his low immunity. Each time Sandra checked on Thomas she stood the door and wore a mask.

On Monday she called in to tell her employer where she was. They were understanding and asked when she would return. She said she would call in the next day with an answer.

Thomas was floating in twilight of semi-consciousness. That was good for him, for he was a proud man. It was best he was not fully aware of the nurses helping him on and off a bed pan, or giving him a sponge bath. He was aware of the nurses and on several times noticed a masked woman standing in the door seeming to be observing. The few times he got his vision and saw her clearly he felt her knew her for somewhere. It was her eyes that held him. But the woman wouldn't allow him a long look before she would turn away. In his clouded mind Thomas figured it was the head nurse checking on one of the patients in her care.

The weeks past slowly for both Thomas, under medication, and Sandra watching his ordeal. She had called in to tender her resignation. George Harris was not happy and threatened to never allow her to return. He finally told her to come back when she could.

Thomas was getting stronger by the firth week and thinking of going back to his condo. He knew he would need nursing care. With no-one available he was contemplating hiring a home nursing service. Even if insurance wouldn't pay he could afford it. To date the only calls he had receive were from his daughter Megon and one call from Daniel Archer. Archer made sure all his bills were being met by his insurance and to tell Thomas to come see him when he was well.

Thomas was now able to sit up and take his meals, but even better he could go to the bathroom with minimal assistance. On more than one occasion Thomas saw the woman at his door. She still wore a mask after his nurses had abandoned the practice. Each time he tried to get a good look at her she would turn and walk from his sight allowing only a short glimpse.

The day before he was to be discharged Thomas interviewed three nursing services. When the last had left he was trying to decide which one to choose. His thoughts were interrupted by an attractive blond woman. She walked up to his bedside and looked down at him. After a moment she spoke.

"My name is Whitney Carlson. I am here representing a client that would like to nurse you back to health." Looking at Thomas she realized he didn't recognize her name. With a little anger she added, "And I don't know why."

That riled Thomas a little but he had been stranded in the room alone far too long. He would tolerate the visitor just a little longer. "I would say you don't make many sales with that type of presentation."

Whitney let it pass. "My friend is about your age and what she lacks in professional training she will make up for in tender loving care. She is well educated and honest. She will be faithful till the end."

"To the end? Till I die you mean?"

"Yes till you die, no matter when in the future that might be."

"Are you peddling a nurse or a Golden Retriever?"

"You son of a bitch! She is no dog!" With that Whitney went to the door and closed it. "Thomas all the nurses know what you are but there's no need to spill your dirty laundry for the other patients and visitors."

"Wow lady,...maybe you just need to move on. I don't need any of this."

"What the truth is you don't deserve any of this Thomas Wayne Bridgeman!"

It had been a long since anyone called him by his full name. One was his mother and the other is ex-wife and when either used all three of his names he was in trouble. Thomas let that pass and responded. "You are right I don't deserve your abuse any more than I deserved to have cancer."

"You're correct about all of that and you don't deserve to have someone that loves you as much as she does in spite of all you have done to her!"

"Who the hell you talking about?" Thomas was thinking about one of his many girlfriends.

"Sandra...Sandra Fulton you asshole!"

"Sandra! What I did to her? She was the one...she whored herself. She fucked around on me! I never broke our vow, but she did!"

Whitney looked at Thomas, "Yes Mr. Bridgeman that is true, she did have an affair. She was wrong. She knew it. She spent three days with me wallowing in her shame. Sandra had broken off the affair and was coming back to you to confess and beg for your forgiveness. You weren't there. You...you pompous asshole wouldn't even allow her that. No you just walked out one the woman you had shared 22 years of your life with. You wouldn't face her."

"Look you bitch this is none of your business. Who the hell are you anyway? And why are you here? I can ring for the nurse and have you removed."

Whitney smiled, "Go ahead. Bet you won't get a quick response from any on station now!"

"It's my business because I love Sandra like a sister. More than you love anyone. You are one hell of a man. You wouldn't even let your daughter invite her mother to her wedding. And how did you feel when found your daughter was going to give you a grandchild? She feared telling you because it is obvious she was pregnant then she got married. Why do you think she hesitated? Well in case you haven't figured it out I'll tell you. She was afraid. Afraid you would push her out of your life like you did her mother because of her...her love of the man she married. Because she might bring shame to the great name of Bridgeman. That's why you didn't know till she showed up here to check on you and help you. She was afraid but she came. She loves her father even though she fears his rejection. And news flash, she loves her mother too. She called her mother to tell her you were in the hospital. She confessed the fact she was married and pregnant. Do you know how Sandra too it? She was upset...upset you were in the hospital. That was all that upset her. She is proud of Megon and Carson...and loves them both deeply. More than I can say for you!"

"Where do you think you get the authority to judge me? It was Sandra that started all this when she fucked another man or men for all I know!" Thomas shouted.

"Oh you are a sterling example of sexual morality. How many women you bedded? And where are they now? Who's here? Who cares enough about you to leave her job and drive to Denver? You have female 'friends' here in town that haven't made the effort to drive a few blocks. I understand one of your women was a girl your daughter's age. Yes Mr. Bridgeman you are a fine example of manhood!"

"Why are you here?" he demanded.

"Because I care about Sandra and for no other reason! I would rather kiss a frog's ass than to be here. I know I'm wasting my time and my breath."

"She cheated not me!"

"Thomas Bridgeman you will never know the price Sandra has paid for that indiscretion. And I won't waste the time to tell you. She was just getting back to a real life when she learned of your cancer. She had quit drinking and had a real job. She was getting her figure back. Now that has been set back by you! She hasn't eaten right and only slept in a hotel bed 6 days since she got here. She spends every waking minute by your door, sometimes 6 days straight. Thanks god the nurses look after her. Right now Sandra is sleeping on the cot in the nurse's lounge. I talked one of them into giving her a sedative. When she wakes she will come in and ask for your forgiveness before she leaves. And you had better act like you forgive Sandra or I'll come in here, rip your balls off and feed them too you."

"Really!"then Thomas laughed. It was a private joke with himself. He had never wanted a vasectomy for fear of looking his manhood. He was happy when Sandra chose to have her tubes tied. Now he thought begrudgingly how wonderful it would be to die with is balls intact.

Whitney was livid for she thought Thomas was making light of her threat. She was beginning to think of the action rather than just figuratively.

"What Sandra did was unforgivable!" Thomas whispered.

Whitney looked at him with boring eyes. "You have done something unforgiveable to someone. And you, if you're really honest, would do anything to go back and change that!"

12