Tiro the Proeliator Pt. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This vibratus iludaire, or vibratory illusion, changes the refractive properties of their bodies so they neither absorb nor reflect light waves. The effect is to render them transparent. Even the evil offspring and the great evil one can't truly see them, but can hear the low frequency sound waves the vibration creates.

The frequency is beyond the hearing capabilities of humans and regular evil entities.

Fortunately for the proeliators, though some of the evil entities could hear this vibration, they couldn't tell how many proeliators were around.

The vibrations harmonized in such a way as to preclude determining anything other than the presence of the archrivals of the evil recondo.

The evil recondo knew of the proeliators and the Optimates just as the Optimates and proeliators knew of the evil recondo.

Proeliators are cautioned about using this ability, to vibrate to transparency, for too long at a stretch when they are taught how to use it. It requires a tremendous amount of energy and a proeliator can render himself ineffectual if he uses the ability too freely, or for a sustained period. Further, since their body no longer absorbed or reflected light, they received no warmth from the sun, and hypothermia could easily occur.

Though warm-blooded creatures, Optimates still warmed their bodies partially through the absorption of sunlight.

Tiro knew this and the concern he had from being at the extreme end of his ornamentum restrained him from using it for more than just a few minutes.

Then it was only a test.

A dangerous test, for a solo proeliator though, for just as it would render him invisible to all but the highest of evil beings, it would also alert these higher evil beings of his presence.

Tiro could remain motionless in the trees and brush that concealed him and observe, undetected by the puella and pusio a few metres away, but if the pusio were one of the offspring of the evil lord the vibratus iludaire in this close proximity to the creature, would reveal his presence immediately, even if it was as quiet as a single vibrating proeliator. Then if he used it for too long of a period and rendered himself unable to protect himself, the evil could subdue him.

The problem was exaggerated by the fact a proeliator really had no way of knowing when he had used the ability too long. That was another reason they were advised not to use it except in extreme circumstances and if at all possible, only when they were in the company of other proeliators.

Proeliators are repeatedly warned of the danger to the entire Optimate people if one of them should become a captive of evil. If rendered helpless because of over extending the vibratory illusion, or another of the myriad of deceptive skills they possessed, they were easy prey to even the weakest of the evil entities. Even the sprites and the other vaporous entities that never left the darkness could overcome a proeliator of he over extended himself.

For this reason, use of the technique was all but forbidden at night or in the dark places like the caves and cellars these type entities were confined to during normal times.

Tiro was young and ambitious though and ignored these admonishments as he sought the recognition that would bring him greatness among the Ordinatius. So a lot of his actions today were foolish.

If he were to over extend himself today, he didn't adequately consider the fact though virtually powerless in the sunlight, the evil pusio could overpower him easily if he was rendered helpless from over extension. Besides with his ornamentum all but depleted he risked not being able to sustain himself until he could return to the encampment, several leagues away.

Yet, his quest for glory forced him to risk it. A young man's ego-motivated actions were something the great magisters of the proeliator legio worried about as they instructed their posthabeo charges. He must have reached a state of 'provovolvere se' before a proeliator would be allowed to go through monstro.

The reaching of this state of self-denial was considered an important milestone in maturity and was one of the reasons why young Optimates weren't allowed to marry until they were full-fledge Medius of the Legio Proeliatarium. But Tiro wasn't there yet, though it wouldn't hurt him this day.

His having gone through monstro, a rite that signified a coming of age, was because of other qualities he possessed that were almost unique to the band of Optimates at this point in their existence. Though it had never been discussed with Tiro, he had friends in high places.

Foolishly he decided to proceed, and though it produced no harmful result on this occasion, it was duly noted. The fact he gained valuable information by doing so was of little consequence if the danger to himself and the Optimates were ever weighed against the value of what he learned.

He discovered this pusio was high ranking, though not an offspring. Either that or the 'Tempus Temporis Seditio' was close. If this were a more common evil entity it wouldn't be able to protect itself from the sun, otherwise. This all became clearer as the day progressed.

Tiro wisely assumed the illusionary vibration for only a brief moment. He didn't leave the thicket he was hidden in either. Just vibrated long enough to look for a reaction from the pusio.

None occurred.

Afterwards he was all but exhausted, but he need only sit on his haunches and listen. What he heard alarmed him.

The puella was apparently under the somnolentus, or mesmerizing stare, some evil entities possessed for you would have thought her a willing participant, to the point you could almost call her a co-conspirator, in the ideas, the young evil male, put forth to the young girl.

He was suggesting the girl participate in a ceremony or rite that he explained as being a sort of betrothal ceremony. Tiro recognized immediately the ceremony he described was similar to the 'Missa Exculpatus'. The puella seemed keen on the idea. This confirmed the entity was high ranking, for a power such as somnolentus wasn't given to the rank and file minions and sprites, and it appeared she was mesmerized by the pusio.

The good news was his ranking was why he could protect himself from the purifying rays of the sun and the dawning of 'Aegis Pravus' and 'Tempus Temporis Seditio' was perhaps not that close.

The two ate their food and participated in what resembled the liberalis or courting ritual in Optimate society.

The pusio held the puella in his arms as an Optimate would only do in familiarus, and they exchanged amplexus and basiatio. Then something happened Tiro was at a loss to understand.

The pusio attempted to slip his hand under the clothing the puella wore. As would be expected, she got angry. She put the things she had brought with her that day back on the equus and left.

Tiro couldn't understand why the pusio had made such a blatant and crass attempt at the girl. For a brief moment he thought perhaps the 'Aegis Pravus' might have passed and the time of the 'Tempus Temporis Seditio' was underway.

Otherwise how could the pusio attempt such a thing, yet not ravish the girl as would occur during the 'Aegis Pravus'?

The pusio tried to insist it had been an inadvertent thing, but the puella would hear none of it. She climbed on to the equus and galloped away in a huff.

After she left the pusio returned to the cave.

Tiro consumed the balance of the Alo in his ornamentum, in an attempt to recover from the effects of the vibratory illusion, and headed back to the Optimates encampment as occasus signaled the approach of the creparum.

This concludes part 1. Part 2 is coming as Tiro and the other Optimates begin to see the evil the recondo is about to unleash and set to try to avert it. Will instrueo praejudico be necessary and if so what part will Tiro play?

Please don;t forget to vote. It is how I get feedback on my effort.