To Call for Hands of Above Ch. 01: Wolf's Teeth

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Morning came, like it always does. Cearbhall left Snag in the room. Kissed her sleeping forehead as he left. There was a girl at reception then. She thanked him for staying at the hotel, and hoped to see him again. He knew that wasn't true, but thanked her back anyway.

There were lots of people about. Milling around on their way to work. They trooped into the trams and the busses. Like worker ants in nice suits. On a bus, Cearbhall looked around at the other passengers. Some standing, some sitting. All waiting until they could leave each other behind. Did they know? he wondered. Did they know who he was, where he was going? What he'd done? Who he'd spent the night with? Would they even care to know?

His phone rang in his pocket. It was not expected. Who would be calling him now? Pulling it out, he gaped at the name on the screen. He rubbed his eyes. They must have been tricking him. He looked again. No, no trick. He tapped the green button, brought the device to his ear.

"Hello? Cornelia?"

"Cearbhall, it's you, good," said his ex-wife. "I was hoping to have a chance to talk."

"Ah - yeah. I tried calling you last night. You didn't pick up, you must have left it behind."

"Oh I know, and I did. And I hear our son had some unkind things to say."

A sting. He had almost forgotten. "Yeah, well - you know how young people are."

"Only too well. Hard to believe either of us were like that."

"No it isn't."

"No it isn't." The laughed together for the first time in years. Cornelia went on. "I just called to let you know that Cormac hasn't - he's not - he's been having a hard time lately. You heard he broke up with his girlfriend, yeah?"

"I did. A bit late, but I did."

"Well, from what I hear, it wasn't a good breakup. He swears he's fine, but I just..."

"I know. I understand. Cormac is - he's a lot like me. That's probably the issue. Too proud, too - stubborn. Doesn't want to burden anyone, doesn't let anything under his skin."

"That does sound like you." A instant of silence. "But it's still not acceptable. Not acceptable to speak to your father that way. I'll have him apologise as soon as he comes home tonight."

"No - no. You don't need to go so far..."

"What would you have me do, just let him away with it?

"No, of course not, just... there's no point in wringing an apology out of someone. Do that, and it's just - lip service. Empty air. And anyway, you know how I am." He paused. Allowed the weight of his statement to grow. "You know how I hate apologies."

Cornelia stayed quiet for moment. "Alright, fine. I get you. But he will be giving you a call later, apology or no."

"That's fine," said Cearbhall. "It'll be nice to talk to him."

"Heh, easy for you to say. You don't live with him." They laughed again, and wished each other well.

Cearbhall stuck the phone back in his pocket. Just in time, he neared his stop. One more time, he looked around the bus. He could feel the disapproval of his fellow passengers. No-one likes it. Talking on the phone while on the bus. Impolite. Not proper behaviour.

Cearbhall grinned at them. He was sure some people shifted away. Satisfied, he rose. People squeezed out of his way, and he stepped out into the world.