To Love a Stray Ch. 20

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Mygypsy
Mygypsy
1,329 Followers

"I think it would be accurate to say totally withdrawn," Alan says with concern.

"Rosy, you can't believe the fucking bull..." Sam begins upset only to have Alan move quickly to grab him by the upper arm and spin him around and shove him towards the door.

"Stop it!" Alan orders firmly. "Outside now!"

I catch hold of Sam as he goes to swing around and face Alan and jerk my head towards the door as my nephew looks at me startled.

"Outside." I say firmly.

Sam jerks free of my hold but heads outside and the three of us stop not far from the door when Alan clears his throat. I turn to face him and Alan glances between Sam and I with a very serious look on his face.

"It is no good trying to talk to her at the moment," Alan says firmly. "Either mentally or emotionally she has taken all she can and her mind has just went 'Enough, I'm not listening anymore'."

"Rosy will pretend not to listen when it suits her, she will ignore whoever is speaking to her or refuse to react." Sam snaps tightly.

"I wish I could say it was something like that," Alan says sounding tired. "But there's not even the slightest physical reaction when I speak to her, or when I put my hand on her shoulder. Nothing. No involuntary reaction even."

"She always assumes the worst when things don't go her way," Sam snaps with a touch of anger.

"Listen to what I have to say before you say anymore," Alan says firmly. "Listen and think about it."

He takes several deep breaths before glancing back at the door as if weighing up his words.

"Something happens, like this argument and she begins with you can't do this to me or something like that?" Alan asks.

"No she always reacts like she expects the worst to happen to her," Sam says sounding annoyed.

"So she accepted being sent away from everyone she knows, trusts and cares about," Alan states.

"Rosy blamed her brothers and the rest of them to a certain degree for finding her, rescuing her and making her feel at home. All against her will from her point of view," I tell him. "She was quite vocal about it."

I suddenly realise what Alan must have seen the moment Rosy started reacting the way she did.

"She can be so stupid a lot of the time!" Sam says in disgust.

"Think about it. She didn't expect to be rescued, or to find her rescuers would treat her right. It's easier to expected to be mistreated and find out she had it right, than to expect only good things and be let down in a big way." Alan says firmly. "So it follows she doesn't expect to be allowed back with her family. She said some terrible things I take it, insults hurled in the heat of the moment ..."

"No," I cut in sharply and Alan looks at me with a frown. "Mitchell, her closest brother from what I've heard, was about to choose to remain at her side rather than with Jasmine Williamson..."

"Mitchell chose his fiancé!" Sam snaps.

"No Sam, Rosy saw what he was about to do." I tell him gently.

"As for what set her into this total shut down, I don't doubt that Rosy expects both you and your brother blame her for the trouble that has occurred. That of course Micah Williamson has custody, so to speak, of his friends and home after their break up. But there's this little part of her that, while it still expects the worst, has started to hope for something good. All along she has expected the worst, and sometimes, only sometimes, things have worked out for the better." Alan says and gives a tired sounding sigh. "Now when she is at her most vulnerable, and needs that good the most, Ray tells her she has no chance or hope of anything good happening."

"Rosy expects only bad things, that way when the bad happens it's not a shock and she's not let down. And when good has happened instead it's a bonus, a very pleasant surprise." I tell Sam in simple turns. "Ray just destroyed any shadow of a doubt in her mind that nothing but bad will come to her. He told her no one wants her, no one loves her and she believed him."

"That's not right! Both Mitchell and I care about her! Mitchell even wanted her to be able to stay but he needed time to smooth things over with Jazzy and to convince Micah not to walk out on his sister!" Sam says distraught. "I'll explain it to Rosy, make her understand!"

"The kindest thing you can do for her at the moment is back off, but keep telling her you love her, and will support her in whatever she decides to do." Alan says firmly. "Don't go making promises that circumstances might make it impossible for you to keep. And don't tell her she's silly for thinking or imagining the worst. You'll probably find life has dealt her a pretty rotten deal on being a female werecat with no clan growing up."

"Alan's right Sam," I admit reluctantly. "We can't make promises for other people. Just keep letting her know you will be there for her if she needs you,"

I glance at my watch, I don't want to miss having a say in the charges against my brother-in-law.

"Sam, we need to go see to this with Ray," I say with a glance at my nephew. "We will come back here."

Sam looks towards the door to the room where his sister is, worry pulls his brow down in a heavy frown and finally he gives a reluctant nod.

"I'll be back to see my sister," Sam mutters tightly, "and she had better still be here."

I lead the way back outside and head for the solidly constructed brick shed where Ray has been taken. There are toms and warriors in small clusters standing close to the main doorway and they move aside as I approach. I can hear Ray arguing as I walk inside and make my way to a large room.

"Do you deny the things Jakob Perkins told us are true?" Don asks coldly. "Are you denying you spoke to your own daughter in a harsh and needlessly cruel manner?"

"Someone had to tell her the cold hard truth!" Ray snaps angrily. "He is making it sound a lot harsher than it was! I simply didn't sugar coat the truth or try to fool her into thinking she could get away with going to a wedding where she was not invited and the bride had in fact forbidden her to trespass on the family property!"

"Samuel MacIntosh," Mal says with authority. "Would you care to give us your version of the event? Who said or done what?"

Sam clears his throat and steps forward. I watch as he takes his time looking from Alpha to Alpha, and taking time to look at each individual in the room except for his own father. When he begins to speak I can picture what happened according to him from his words, gestures and body language as he speaks.

In my mind I see Rosy pleading with Sam, wanting to be allowed to attend her brother's wedding. Then Ray intervenes, his words harsh and cutting as he stands close to Rosy glowering down into her face as he berates her. Ray shrugs Sam off when Sam tries to stop him and as a parting shot Ray reaches out to grasp Rosy's by the lower jaw. He steps close as he growls 'Hell! None of the clan want you there! All of them would be happy to never see you again,' into her face.

"I admit I called him a lying mongrel bastard," Sam says tightly, "and I would have said a lot worse if he hadn't started punching."

"Both Jakob Perkins and Samuel MacIntosh's versions match," Maurice states. "And MacIntosh wasn't here to hear Perkins speak,"

Mal, Don and Martin murmur agreement along with several high-ranking warriors.

"What punishment would you recommend for someone who has done this to your sister?" Cantrell asks evenly.

"For a start look at the agreement he made with Alan Cummings and revoke whatever conditions he set to his agreement with him. Don't let him profit in any way or form from the arrangement, in fact make it null and void." Sam says with a nasty sneer towards Ray.

"I have a few questions for you before punishment is decided," Cantrell says seriously. "Wade Williamson raised you and your brother as if youse were his own blood, is that not true?"

"Yes Sir, he did," Sam admits after a moments thought.

"And how would you say he treated you two within the clan? Did you receive the same support as his own sons or did he support them more than he did you and your brother?" Mal asks.

I glance at Mal but he has his gaze fixed on Sam and I look at my nephew as he clears his throat.

"Wade supports us all depending on our strengths. When Micah defeated his oldest brother for Chief warrior Wade supported Micah's request I be made his second in command. Wade agreed with Micah that I was better suited to the job than either of his two eldest sons Edwin and Dwayne, both of who are older than me." Sam replies evenly.

"And I understand when your younger brother became more dominant than those same warriors Wade supported that as well?" Mal asks with a lift of one eyebrow.

"Yes, that is true," Sam confirms. "But when a new surveillance expert was needed Wade looked to his son Dwayne who is better in that area than both myself and Edwin who also applied for the position."

"Was this before or after you and your brother rose within the ranks?" Cantrell asks and I wonder where this line of questioning is heading.

"It was before Edwin became Chief Warrior, Dwayne was promoted over his older brother." Sam admits with a quick glance towards me. Obviously he feels this questioning is leading towards something as well.

"So it is fair to say Wade has been a father figure in your life as well as Ray MacIntosh?" Cantrell asks.

"Wade has been more of a father to us than Ray ever was," Sam says without hesitation.

"So it's okay to nearly kill the tom who raised you as one of his own, and let the tom that sired you get away with mental cruelty that is nearly on an equal to what was physically done to your sister?" Cantrell asks mildly.

"I recommend a flogging that will leave MacIntosh with physical scars as bad as the mental scars he inflicted on the She-kitt he now has seen fit to claim as his daughter. Though it does strike me he is not interested in her as a daughter so much as a way to gain more power or influence for himself," Don says with a glance each for Mal, Maurice, Cantrell, Martin and myself.

"Seconded," Martin says firmly.

"You can't do that..." Ray starts yelling in indignation and fear.

"Someone shut him the hell up," Mal says sounding bored.

There are the sounds of a scuffle and Ray's voice is quickly reduced to a faint series of muffled yells.

"Anyone opposed?" I ask glancing around.

All ready several toms are preparing restraints to hold Ray while punishment is given.

"Perkins do you want to swing the whip?" Cantrell asks.

"As much as I would like to, I think I'd best go and see if Alan needs any help," Perkins says regretfully.

"Kurt, do you think you are better qualified to help your niece than Cummings is?" Cantrell asks.

I glance at Sam and find him watching me hopefully but I have to shake my head.

"Unfortunately I have to admit Alan Cummings seems much more attuned to how Rosy is thinking and why she acts the way she does than I do." I say with regret. "He undertook extensive studies to help his late wife and has a lot of practical experience to back up his education. My expertise is in grief and reconciliation counselling."

"So Rosy MacIntosh is best staying with Alan Cummings at this stage?" Cantrell queries.

"For the time being," I agree, "but this does not infer her brothers or I agree she should marry him."

"She needs to be in a stable and supportive relationship to raise that kitt she carries." Cantrell says in a tone that defies argument.

"Rosy is very strong willed and has a mind of her own," Sam says firmly.

"So did your mother young man," Don cuts in with a frown. "But there is no knowing what happened to her or what she went through in the time between her leaving your father and her death. A female werecat by herself generally has a hard and short life."

"I don't believe being forced into a relationship will help my niece," I state firmly.

Both Cantrell and Don make slight noises in their throats but neither have anything further to say.

"Who is willing to swing the whip for this punishment?" Mal asks changing the subject.

"I'll do it," Blake says stepping forward.

There is silence for a few moments as glances are exchanged between Mal, Cantrell, Don and myself. I give a slight nod to indicate my approval and Mal clears his throat silencing the low murmurs of conversation between toms.

"The whip used earlier is in here I believe," Mal says solemnly. "It has been washed and hung up to dry. Is that whip suitable for your use?"

"Yes I am familiar with the whip," Blake says seriously. "It is one borrowed from me to be used earlier."

Ray struggles and screams behind his gag as he is dragged to the wall where Edwin Williamson is still chained. The toms hesitate for a moment as they eye Edwin but Sam quickly steps forward to release him from his restraints. Edwin moves aside stiffly, it is clear he is in some pain in the groin region but he makes no complaint and waves his partner aside when he offers a helping hand.

"No, the other way," I order as Ray is moved into place facing the wall.

One of the toms reaching for a chain and manacle glances over his shoulder at me.

"String him up facing the room," I order firmly. "The lashes go on the front of his body where he will be able to see the scars every day to remind him of what he done to his own flesh and blood."

I watch as Ray's screams and struggles intensify as he is turned to face the room and shackled into place. One tom takes the time to rip the shirt and vest from Ray's upper body before removing the gag. Everyone moves out of the way as Blake steps forward, he lets the leather tail of the whip fall from his fingers and flicks his left wrist to lay the lash out on the ground behind himself.

"You can't do this! This is ..." Ray yells as he pulls frantically at his restraints.

There is a faint hiss and then Ray screams as the first stroke hits across his chest. Hiss -- scream -- hiss -- scream. It goes on and on until Ray passes out and hangs limply by his arms.

"Enough," Mal orders firmly.

Blake stops swinging the whip and glances my way, I give a nod of agreement and he relaxes his stance. I swing my gaze back to Ray and take in the bleeding stripes that crisscross his chest randomly. His chest will scar heavily leaving him a lasting reminder of his cruelty.

"Kurt Black! Alpha Black!" Perkins voice can be heard calling and coming closer to the room. There is movement in the doorway and he pushes past several toms standing there.

"Alan needs to talk to you, it's urgent," Perkins says forcefully as he sees me. "It can't wait,"

"I'm finished here," I say and head for the door.

"Your nephew had best come too," Perkins says before turning and hurrying ahead of me.

Sam follows closely on my heels and as we exit the building I find Perkins is jogging towards the house as if in a hurry. I break into a jog only to speed up as Sam runs past me.

I can hear the rise and fall of arguing even before I reach the door to the room where we left Rosy. Sam glances back at me with a worried frown as Perkins opens the door and we clearly hear Rosy arguing heatedly. Sam pushes past Perkins who steps aside and waits for me to enter first before following us into the room.

What I find in the room shocks me. Alan is standing back by the door and glances my way worriedly before focusing his attention back on Rosy -- she paces back and forth on a rug on the floor. Her steps are measured and each foot is placed in nearly exactly the same spot as she repeatedly paces the length of the rug. Her movements are jerky, her uninjured hand pulling at the hair on the side of her head and her eyes wild as she talks.

It takes me a few moments to realise she is arguing with herself. Her voice changes slightly, almost as if from a different person and I look at Alan with alarm before glancing at Sam who is standing watching her with a stunned expression on her face.

Alan jerks his head towards the door and I nod, catch Sam by the upper arm and head for the door.

"Watch she doesn't hurt herself," I hear Alan order and am not surprised when only Alan leaves the room with us.

"What did you do to my sister?" Sam demands frantically as he stalks towards Alan.

I grab Sam by the upper arm and he comes around to face me rapidly as I stop him reaching Alan.

"Calm down Sam!" I order as I eye the cocked fist he has raised.

"Everything okay?" Dave asks just behind me.

"Can you tell us what happened?" I ask without taking my eyes off Sam who is glaring at me.

"He's obviously done something to my sister!" Sam yells aggressively.

A scream of fear almost immediately comes from Rosy within the room and Sam goes to turn and rush towards the door but I keep hold of him twisting his arm up behind his back.

"Outside where any raised voice won't upset her!" Alan orders and pushes past us leaving Dave and me to head Sam after him.

"I want to go to my sister," Sam hisses between clenched teeth as he tries to stop me pushing him ahead of us.

"There's a good chance she wouldn't even acknowledge you, or maybe even recognise you," I admit tightly.

Sam stops resisting for a moment before stopping, he sends me a fleeting glance and then follows Alan's retreating form.

"Stay here in case Perkins needs help or wants Alan back in the room," I tell Dave before hurrying after the other two.

"What did you do to my sister?" Sam demands as I come out of the house to see Sam approaching Alan aggressively.

"Sam stand down!" I order using all my authority to enforce the order.

I watch as Sam hesitates and moves forward a couple of steps before stopping with an angry snarl. He glances back at me with a scowl before turning his attention back to Alan.

"I'd like to know what the hell happened," I find myself saying.

"Jake was with me, we were discussing heading back to my sons and she started moving," Alan says with a sigh. "She was starting to come out of that state she was in, sneaking glances our way so I figured, introduce Jake. She didn't respond when he said hallo, but hey, no real problem ..."

"Rosy always takes time to interact with anyone she doesn't know. It takes her a while before she feels comfortable enough to speak to them," Sam says firmly.

"You say she's always been slow to interact with werecats she doesn't know?" Alan asks with a frown.

"For as long as I've known her," Sam confirms. "And even before that according to someone who knew her before any of us were aware she was a werecat."

Alan groans and closes his eyes as he pinches the bridge of his nose between his thumb and forefinger for nearly a minute before letting go, shaking his head and opening his eyes to look at us.

"Jake and I had been talking a few minutes when we start hearing her whispering, 'He's a cat. What's he want? What do they both want? Shhh, stop it, be quiet, leave

me alone! Don't talk to me! Go away, no you shut up, you!' It sounded weird, like there were two different people talking not one," Alan says heavily.

"What are you saying?" I ask with dread. "Multiple personalities? Paranoia?"

"No, something we usually see in strays that can't adjust to becoming a werecat. Either split personality or they are simply unable to reconcile both sides of their nature. The human side, and the cat side," Alan says unhappily.

"No!" Sam exclaims angrily. "Rosy has some trouble with the cat aspect of life at times but she manages!"

"I understand she was raised in a human family. The more I hear, the more certain I am she has had trouble with the differences in being Were to being human. The physical contact, interacting, socialising, all things Were." Alan says quietly.

Mygypsy
Mygypsy
1,329 Followers