Tonight's the Night

Story Info
Newly separated wife focuses on herself.
9.1k words
4
42.2k
11
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
SanVital
SanVital
12 Followers

I tried to save my marriage, I honestly did. I grew up in rural Ohio in a family where martial values were just as important as going to church every Sunday. Words like divorce, separation, and affair didn't exist in our family vocabulary. My parents have been together for over fifty years and my grandparents had been together for over seventy. So when I made my vows, I naturally thought it would be forever.

I met Daniel in college during a beach party where I had a little too much to drink and threw up all over his feet while we were standing around the campfire. Now don't get me wrong, I wasn't a big drinker by any stretch and it was actually my lack of drinking experience which led me to throw up in the first place. But everything happens for a reason right? I looked up at him and slurred an apology and although I was expecting a look of disgust followed by some expletives, he surprised me with a smile and laughter. Nineteen years and two kids later, thinking of that moment always makes me smile. Now it makes me cry. I tried to justify the break up the only way I knew how. I blamed myself. Was I not attractive anymore? Was I too boring? Did I not please him in bed? Was I not supportive? Was I neglecting him? I had too many questions and not enough answers.

It was a Sunday when my life as I knew it would change forever. I remember we were arguing about taking a vacation, something we haven't done in many years. He promised that when the kids were older we would travel and see the world together. I was still up for the adventure, but it was something he says he has no interest in doing anymore. We were in the middle of our debate when he burst out "This marriage isn't working anymore!" Those were the infamous words he said to me the day he decided it was over. It's been four months since we separated and those words still twist the dagger in my heart. I tried to make things better, I really tried. I suggested we do things together like we did before the kids; we could have a date night, go away for the weekend or find a hobby we could do together, but nothing seemed to appease him. And in a final act of sheer desperation I begged "Please, stay for the kids, they need their father!" But he shrugged it off and walked out the door.

Don't get me wrong, he's a great father, a fantastic father and I know he will always be there for them. Just not for me. So for the past month I've been seeing a therapist in the hopes of helping me put things in perspective (really to vent to be completely honest). She's been fantastic! She said his type of behavior is quite common and that in most cases the husband returns.

"He needs time to refocus, to reenergize, to take a little vacation away from domestic life," She said. "Men are simple. They tend to react rather than appraise a situation. Think about it Karen, he never gave you any cause for concern, never once mentioned anything about separating and then suddenly says 'This marriage isn't working anymore.' It sounds a little too impulsive to be real," she explained.

I nodded in surrender and let her continue.

"Listen Karen, I can't promise that he will come back, but most of the time they do. In the meantime, take this time to refocus and reenergize yourself. We all need it," she suggested.

I continued to see her twice a week for the last two months. She gave me advice on how to talk to my kids, staying positive and even more death defying, how to approach the subject with my parents. But the best advice she'd given me was when she said "Karen, you have to think of ways to make yourself feel better. A little self improvement will bring back your self esteem and your confidence."

During the next few weeks I developed a routine of going to the gym and eating healthier. I was slowly feeling good about myself again. I would spend two hours at the gym every day after work. I try to mix up my routine between cardio, weights, elliptical, yoga and aerobics. I felt like I was thirty again; full of energy, full of life. The workouts made me feel good physically, and the hungry looks from the men made me feel good mentally. I never had a problem with weight. In fact, since I've been working out, I don't even think I lost a pound. But I have become more toned and I have a lot more energy. I'm not glamorous nor will I ever be on the cover of any magazines. I'm what they call a small package. I'm 5'4, long auburn hair just past the shoulders, hazel eyes and a newly formed relatively fit body. Most men would considered me more cute than pretty, but I have been called both. My secret is quite simple, I let the gym take care of my body and a little hair colour and make up does the rest! And at 43, I can still manage to raise a few eyebrows.

It didn't take long for my kids and my co-workers to notice a difference in me. Who can blame them really? It was only a couple of months ago when I was walking around the office like a heart broken wreck. Thankfully, my kids were more understanding and simply called me "Zombie Mommy." But all of that changed in time and I was able to use what I learned in therapy to portray myself as a more confident shell of a person. Yes, only a shell, because deep inside I was still scared, insecure and vulnerable.

Two weeks ago my boss sent me to the annual sales seminar in Chicago. I didn't want to go, but I didn't have a choice. I had a routine now and I loved it. Besides, the last thing I want is to be at some boring sales seminar surround by a bunch of sheep handing out business cards with a greasy handshake. But like I said, I didn't have a choice. Every year, five hundred mid size businesses were invited to send one representative and this year was my turn. Oh, Lucky me! It was a three day event and each day was filled with numerous sales training classes that you can choose to attend. There was one for 'How to Market Yourself,' 'Effective Communication,' 'Keeping Motivated,' and one that was simply 'Selling Yourself.'

I attended this seminar five years ago. The classes were lame, boring and very basic. Not that it mattered because these classes were just a front for what this seminar is really all about... schmoozing. It won't say it in the brochure, but that's exactly what it's really all about; meeting reps of other firms in the hopes to sell your product to them or to trade customer lists. It's no wonder why every firm sends their representative with a plane ticket, an itinerary and five hundred business cards. Typical sales logic, every opportunity is a sales opportunity.

Usually when I go away for business I always had the comfort of knowing that I could call Daniel throughout the day. It was reassuring to know that someone was waiting for my call, that I wasn't completely alone, that perhaps, I was even missed. Even my kids are old enough now that they have their own lives and can take care of themselves. Kimberly just turned 18 and Ryan is 16. A call from me would seem like I was just checking up on them. I doubt that they would even answer. In fact, they always told me to text. A true indication that they don't need to hear my voice. This trip was going to be harder than I thought.

I arrived at the hotel at 9pm, took a quick shower and plopped myself on the bed and turned on the TV. I was more restless than tired, but more than that, I was hungry. I looked at the clock and it was just after 10pm. I remembered there was a tiny family restaurant in the lobby and wondered if they would still be open. Only one way to find out! I threw on some jeans and a sweater and headed for the restaurant. When I got there, all the chairs were up on the tables and the employees were definitely in clean up mode. I turned to leave when I heard a waitress call out to me.

"Hi, Can I help you?" she asked.

"Oh, sorry. I was just coming to get a bite to eat, but I can see that you're closing...."

"The dining room is closed, but the bar is still open. If you like, you can sit there and have something to eat from our late night menu?"

"Sure, that would be great!"

"Ok, follow me," she said, as she grabbed a menu.

I couldn't help notice how young and pretty the waitress was. I figured she must be in her early twenties. Her body was still tight and firm and her black yoga pants accentuated her curves. She probably works nights and goes to school during the day. I'm sure her body hasn't even seen a gym. Oh, how I wish I could be that young again! She pointed to a seat at the bar and I literally had to hop on. The waitress gave me a smile like I just performed a circus act. What a pretty smile she had. This girl was just too cute! She handed me the menu and told me that Dennis (the bartender) will take my order. And with that, she smiled a good-bye and walked away. I couldn't help but admire her body one last time. To say I was envious would be an understatement.

I sat at the bar taking in my surroundings. The bar wasn't long by any stretch and judging by the amount of stools, it could seat only four at a time. Cozy. Being a family restaurant, they probably didn't get many bar flies. Sports memorabilia decorated the walls. Framed photos and signed jerseys were hung up instead of those tacky neon beer signs. I focused back on the menu hoping that something would spark a craving. Dennis finally revealed himself, he was in his sixties, more salt than pepper hair and he wore one of those old fashion white aprons. He had this sweet grandfather look about him and you knew, if given the chance, he would talk your ear off. He probably didn't get many customers and was anxious to get his apron dirty. I ordered a glass of red wine with a Chicken Caesar Salad and he responded with a cordial, "As you wish." Ten minutes later I was stuffing my face. Dennis kept me company while I ate, talking about his kids, his grandkids and how he met his wife. Family life was somewhat of a sore spot for me at the moment, but I didn't let that interfere with his enthusiasm for sharing stories. He was very sweet, charming and his voice was very comforting, the kind that you only get with age.

I sat sipping my wine trying to remember the last time I had actually had a drink when I heard Dennis a few steps away.

"What can I get for you, boss?"

I briefly looked up to see Dennis serve another man at the end of the bar and then I diverted my eyes back to the menu.

"You must be here for the seminar?" Boss said.

I rolled my eyes while still looking down at the menu. The last thing I wanted was to talk to some annoying salesman. I'll have my fair share of them tomorrow. So until then, this guy could just fuck right off. I learned early on never to make eye contact with weirdos unless you wanted them to harass you for the rest of the night.

"Yes. I am," I said to the menu.

"You sound about as excited as I am?"

"You have no idea," I continued to look at the menu.

He gave a little laugh. "I should have called in sick."

Confused, I asked, "What do you mean?"

"At work, the day my company was deciding who to send here."

I laughed, and that was when I first looked at him. Whoa! He was good looking, not the typical sloth you usually find at these seminars. He had a light oatmeal complexion, clean shaven, short wavy brown hair, hazel eyes with full red lips. He looked my age, but he had this boyish grin that made him look years younger. I soon found myself getting lost in his facial features and immediately turned back to my menu. My face felt flush. Was I starting to blush? Thankfully, Dennis came back and placed a drink in front of him and was taking his food order. I tried to restrain my eyes, but couldn't. I wanted to see more and while he was occupied with Dennis, it gave my eyes the perfect distraction. He was wearing a dark blue dress shirt with grey slacks and he had a matching blazer that he draped over the back of the chair. As I stared at his black dress shoes I figured that he must be pretty tall since his feet were comfortably flat on the floor while mine were dangling at least a foot of the ground. As my eyes travelled from his shoes back to his eyes, I found them both staring at me. Busted! I can't believe I was just caught checking him out! They continued to stare at me.

"What?" I asked.

"I asked if you wanted another glass of wine?" Dennis replied.

"Oh sorry, um sure, yeah, that would be great. Thank you," I said, doing a poor job of hiding my embarrassment.

I turned back to the menu and promised to never look up again.

"I'm Terence, by the way," he said and extended his hand.

"Hi, I'm Karen," I shook his hand, still avoiding direct eye contact.

Dennis placed my drink in front of me and excused himself to the back room. "Just holler if you need anything!" he said and gave me a wink before he left.

At first I was terrified of being alone with him. I wasn't any good at making conversation with strangers and I didn't know what to say or how to act in these situations. It's funny, being in sales I'm accustomed to meeting new people and pitching a product, but this was different. I was pitching myself and didn't know where to begin. I suppose that's normal considering I haven't had much practice in the last twenty years. But Terence made it easy. He took control of the conversation and put me at ease. He kept the conversation light and fun, nothing too serious and nothing too personal. We mostly made fun of our jobs, co workers, the cheesy seminar courses, and pretty much anything that came to mind.

All through our conversation I subconsciously kept looking for the pretty waitress that led me to the bar. Had she left yet? I kept looking around until I was satisfied and relived that she must have left for the night. Why would it bother me if she was still here? By our fourth drink, I was completely relaxed enough to just be myself. Ok, maybe I was more tipsy than relaxed, but either way we were having fun. I couldn't believe how much I was enjoying myself. My face was literally hurting from smiling so much. I honestly, don't remember the last time I laughed so much and smiled so often. Geez, had it really been that long?

"Sorry guys, I hate to interrupt, but its closing time," Dennis said.

"Already?" I replied. "What time do you close?"

"One am Monday to Fridays," he replied.

"Oh my God! It's one am?" I exclaimed.

"Actually, it's closer to three. Sorry, I didn't want to interrupt your fun," Dennis smiled.

I couldn't believe what time it was. I had to be up in five hours and I was still buzzing from the wine. It was definitely time for me to go. Dennis made himself scarce giving us time to pay our tab and say our goodbyes. I paid with cash leaving a healthy tip for Dennis while Terence was paying with a credit card and had to wait for Dennis to return. I had such a fun night and I didn't want it to end uncomfortably so I decided that I should leave now. I hopped off my stool and stumbled as I landed. Terence caught my arm and held on to it until I regained my balance.

"When standing is an obstacle, you know you had too much to drink," I said, trying to hide my embarrassment with bad humor.

"This is true. Hopefully, you don't get pulled over from here to the elevator," he replied.

"So, how come I'm so drunk and you're so sober? We had the same amount to drink." I asked as I counted the number of empty glasses between us.

"Probably because you were having wine, and I was having ice water."

"What! You mean all this time you were drinking ice water? So, I was essentially drinking by myself?"

"Sure looks that way, but if it makes you feel better, I still had fun. I'm just not much of a drinker," he explained.

I felt like a fool.

"I feel like a fool!" I said, turning red.

"Don't be so hard on yourself. You're a friendly drunk!" he laughed.

I joined in his laughter, but it was more out of embarrassment than anything else. We exchanged goodnights and wished each other luck keeping awake during the seminar tomorrow. "It'll be easier for you waterboy!" I said, before leaving and heading back to my room.

I recapped the night in the shower and touched my arm, still feeling the warmth of his grip as he held on. It's been a long time since I was touched and even his simple grip felt reassuring and comforting. Sad, I know and just when I thought I couldn't feel anymore pathetic I remembered the waitress. What was with me and the waitress? Why did I feel so relieved that she wasn't around? Was I that insecure that I felt a young pretty girl could hurt my chances with Terence? Damn right I did! I'm not proud of how I felt, it's just that she was too damn pretty and I was too damn insecure. And as selfish as this sounds, I wanted Terence to have eyes only for me.

The next morning I woke up groggy and incredibly thirsty. The effects of the wine the night before had taken a slight toll, but nothing that would keep me away from Terence, I mean, the seminar. I made it to the banquet room of the hotel, grabbed a muffin and made my way through the crowd with my eyes stealthily looking for Terence. I tried my best not to make eye contact with any other salesperson or I'd risk having them approach me and solicit whatever they were selling. It wasn't easy. Everyone seemed to be looking at everyone else so it was hard to look anywhere without meeting the eyes of another sales rep. The risk suddenly being too great, I choose to stare at a painting on the wall and patiently waited for the classes to start.

My first class of the day was called "Selling Yourself." I sat in the back of the room with pen and paper in hand ready to take notes that I knew I would throw away immediately after it was over. The room was filled with about a hundred people, sitting in folding chairs and exchanging business cards with anyone in a cheap suit. I gave the room one final search in the hopes that I would see Terence, but he wasn't here. Which really isn't surprising; there were five other classes going on at the same time in other rooms. He could have been in any one of them. I cursed myself for not asking him which class he would be going to first. I made myself comfortable, and prepared myself for a very long and boring two hour class. It's a good thing I sat near the door; it makes for an easy escape! I put my head down and began to doodle in my notebook when I heard the instructor speak.

"Good morning everyone! Welcome to 'Selling Yourself." My name is Terence Sanderson and I will be your instructor........"

I looked up and couldn't believe my eyes. There he was, on stage giving the lecture! He scanned the room while continuing his speech and hesitated slightly when he met my eyes. I shook my head in disbelief and smiled at him. He returned the smile and continued on. I wish I could say that I learned a lot from his course, but truth be told, I wasn't listening. I was simply admiring his movements on stage. He would move from one end of the stage to the other with all eyes following him. He would talk with his hands as much as he did with his mouth, making corny jokes throughout his presentation. The crowd loved him and everyone stayed in their seats through his entire presentation.

I was instantly drawn to him; his movements, his mannerisms, his ability to keep the attention of the class. He looked even better today than he did last night, if that was even possible. He wore a charcoal grey suit with a burgundy shirt underneath with the top two buttons open. He looked relaxed and professional even without a tie. There was one point during his presentation when he took off his blazer showing a bit more definition in his arms and chest and I wished I had sat closer. During the lecture our eyes met numerous times and I smiled at him every time. One time when he looked at me I simply stuck my tongue out at him and he let out a little chuckle mid sentence. I liked him. I really liked him. I think he felt the same way, or at least I hoped he did.

SanVital
SanVital
12 Followers