Too Late for Goodbye

Story Info
This time it was too late for her to say goodbye.
1k words
4.45
243.5k
101
Story does not have any tags
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Copyright February/2011

A Short Story

No sex scenes in the story. If that's what you want you should find another author.

Constructive comments, critiques, and emails are very welcome and much appreciated.

**********

She walked into our living room like she belonged there; like she hadn't been gone for two days. With a tentative smile she sat down on the sofa across from me as I sat in my easy chair.

Jackie was my fiancée or she was before she took off with her friends for two days. She just didn't know she was about to become my ex.

"John we need to talk," Jackie said in a soft voice.

I guess she thought she would break it to me slowly. But I knew where this talk was headed. I'd heard her conversation with her "special friend" on the answering machine. If you answer our phone after the machine starts to record, it continues to record unless you turn it off. Only then it records both sides of the conversation.

**********

Yesterday as I breezed into my apartment I found Jackie wasn't home. That was unusual because she normally gets home about an hour before me. She hadn't called my cell so I checked the answering machine in the kitchen. The little red light was blinking to tell me someone had left a message. Only it wasn't a message, it was a recording of a phone call she received that morning.

"Hello, I'm here, don't hang up," Jackie said.

"Hey baby. You ready for tonight?" A male voice asked.

"Hi Tommy. I'm ready," Jackie answered. "I'll meet you in the Regency Hotel lounge at 6."

"I'm really looking forward to spending the night with you," Tommy said. "It's been a long time.

"It's been too long for me."

"Are you sure John doesn't know what's going on?" Tommy sounded worried. "I wouldn't want the big guy coming after me."

"No, he doesn't know and he won't. I'll just leave him a message and tell him that I need some time away from 'us'. I'll tell him I'm going to stay at Stella's for a couple of days."

"Okay, I'll see you tonight then," Tommy said and hung up.

At the end of the recording the machine gave the time, 8:01 AM, of the message. The next message was recorded at 3 PM.

"Hi baby, it's me," Jackie's voice said. "I need some time for myself to think for a while. So I'm going to stay with Stella for a couple of days. I'll be home soon. Please let me have this time and don't call me. I love you, Bye."

Very interesting, I thought. But I wasn't totally surprised. Jackie had pulled the same "I need some time" bullshit right after college.

We'd been dating for about three months when she came up with her 'need some time' speech. She said she was concerned because we were getting so serious so fast. I agreed to let her, as she said, have some space. Our time together went from 4 or 5 nights a week to once a week; if she wasn't busy.

I put up with it for a month and gave her an ultimatum. "Either we're a couple together or we're nothing," I told her. "I won't be one of many or even one of a few Jackie. Your decision, but make it quick." I turned and left her in front of her friend Stella's apartment. In less than two days she came back to me and told me she was all mine.

That was over a year ago and now she wants to start this crap all over again, I thought. I don't think so. This time I'll beat her to the punch.

**********

"So what do we need to talk about Jackie?" I asked.

"Well, since we haven't set a date for the wedding yet, I feel like I need some time away," she said. "You know, to clear my head, get some prospective on what we're doing and where we're going." She was smiling like I should be proud of her.

"I see," I replied. I tried to look thoughtful and after a several seconds I asked, "Can I ask some questions? You know just to get some prospective on what you're saying."

Jackie didn't like me using her own words against her. And she didn't like the sarcastic tone in my voice. "Okay, but let's not make this into something bigger than it is. Okay Honey?"

"I guess you'll stay at Stella's for however long it takes for you to clear your head?"

Jackie nodded.

"And you've been at Stella's the last couple of nights, is that right?

She nodded again.

"Tell me, when did Stella move to the Regency Hotel?"

Jackie looked stunned at the question.

"Wasn't it a little crowded with you, Stella, and Tommy in the same room?"

Jackie's mouth dropped open and her eyes bugged out. She looked like a stomped on bullfrog.

"Busted," I said with an evil grin.

She shook her head back and forth muttering, "No...No."

"Oh but yes," I answered. "Now let me tell you how it's going to be. Are you paying attention?"

Jackie finally looked at me. After a few seconds she nodded but didn't say anything.

"It's too late for us. It's all gone," I told her.

Now she was crying and I guess I should have felt bad. But I didn't. Jackie had put me through hell previously and now she wanted to do it again. So I didn't feel bad about her tears. In fact I had to smile a little.

"My life isn't a game you can play with and then take a break from."

"Pack your things. You had your chance. You took too long away from 'us' this time. I won't wait for you to 'get some prospective' as you say. I won't wait for you to get done playing with your friend."

I paused for a few seconds. "Oh and by the way, tell Tommy that I'll be coming for him. Not today or even tomorrow but sometime soon."

Jackie looked pale; she looked like she was going to faint. "But John, I..."

Don't come back, don't say anything more." I looked directly into her eyes. "Jackie, it's too late for us but it's not too late for goodbye.