Trailing Home Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
haremgirl
haremgirl
1,359 Followers

"You can sleep here, and I will sleep on deck," he muttered, trying to squeeze past her without touching her.

"I'm not going to accept your cabin," Selena protested. "You are the one who wanted to sleep in here, not me. I'll sleep outside."

Liam growled his impatience. "Selena, how long do you think it would be before somebody insisted on sharing your bed, if you were to sleep outside by yourself?" He saw her discomfort and forged on. "Now, I insist you take the cabin."

The stubborn set of Selena's jaw was becoming a familiar sight. "I will not sleep in your cabin while you sleep outside. Why don't you sleep on the bed, and I'll make a pallet here on the floor?"

"What kind of a cad do you take me for?" he asked, giving her an annoyed look. "You take the bed, and I'll sleep on the floor."

Selena placed slim fingers across her eyes and shook her head. Dealing with this man had already sapped most of her patience, and it was only the first day. "Fine. We'll take turns sleeping in the bed."

"Fine," he ground out. "Now, I'm going to look around for a bit. You stay here."

Before she had a chance to reply, Liam stalked out of the room and closed the door with a solid click. Selena released a sigh. "I hope every decision is not going to require so much effort," she muttered crossly.

She stowed the suitcases on the shelf and then slumped onto the bed. There was nothing to occupy her, so she stared out through the tiny window, watching the passing scenery but not really registering any of the things she was seeing. Her thoughts returned to that kiss. Selena had been worried that her experience with Jeb had turned her off from men forever, but she was swiftly discovering that was not the case.

She closed her eyes, and a clear image of Liam's face began to form, making her slightly breathless. She had noticed that after he kissed her, his hazel eyes had been flecked with bright green, and she wondered what that meant. She brushed her fingertips over her lips, remembering the feel of his mouth against hers. He embodied every girlish fantasy she had ever had, with his handsome face, broad shoulders, narrow hips and well-muscled thighs. She smiled as she thought of the next several months alone with him. He might be hard on her patience, but he was certainly easy on her eyes!

*********

Liam stood clenching the railing and took several deep breaths to release his tension. How was he going to get Selena to Oregon while protecting her reputation? The brother-sister thing was definitely not going to work.

Willamette Valley was a small community, and the women had forged a very tight knit society. Provided that a woman had a reputation as an honorable lady, she would be welcomed into the fold. Acceptance meant that she would have a network of support from other ladies and, even more important, she would have the opportunity to marry. However, if a woman's reputation was tarnished, those same doors would be closed to her.

Liam considered the possibility of trying to find another family who might let her travel with them. However, he quickly discarded that notion. He was the one who had assumed responsibility for her welfare. It wouldn't be right to try and pass that responsibility on to someone else. Plus, said a niggling voice in the back of his mind, if he was having a hard time resisting her, so would most other men.

"Damn!" How had he gotten himself into this mess? If only he had kept his mouth shut and hadn't had to flirt with her, he would have been able to merrily go on his way. He would have never known how desperate she was to get to Oregon, and he wouldn't have felt compelled to help her.

Liam heaved a resigned sigh. There was only one solution that he could think of. The only way to get Selena to Oregon while protecting her reputation would be to marry her. He grimaced at the thought. Still, the more he thought about it, he realized that the marriage wouldn't have to be permanent. What was to stop them from marrying so they could travel together? As long as they didn't consummate the vows, they could get the marriage quickly and quietly annulled. While an annulment wasn't the best thing to have in one's past, it was certainly not as devastating as having been someone's mistress. Surely with her looks, she would still be able to find some nice young man to marry her.

The problem was that Liam was already having trouble keeping his hands off her, and it was only their first day together. He couldn't dismiss the fear that, in a moment of weakness, he might make love to Selena and then he would be stuck with her for life. While she was certainly beautiful and desirable, he didn't know anything about her, and he definitely wasn't ready to commit to a lifetime of her irritating company. So far, she had shown herself to be willful, stubborn, rebellious and argumentative, certainly not the qualities he would want in a wife. He would have to make it clear to her that the vows were temporary. It would be a marriage in name only, nothing more.

Liam made his way back to their cabin. He didn't think to knock, but simply entered the small space and closed the door behind him. As he turned, he caught a glimpse of a very shapely thigh before Selena yanked her chemise down and turned her back to him. She was dressed in only a chemise and pantalets, and judging by the transparency of the fabric, they were well worn. And oh what a view they afforded! Liam's mouth began to water, and his breeches were suddenly too tight.

"Oooh!" she screeched, clutching her arms over her bosom even though her back was turned. The look she shot from over her shoulder was murderous. "Don't you have any manners at all? Why didn't you knock?"

Liam couldn't suppress a grin, as his eyes roamed over her back and perfectly curved bottom. "Well, how was I to know you would be changing clothes in the middle of the afternoon?"

"In case you haven't noticed," she gritted out while grabbing her gown off the bed, "it's almost time for dinner. I thought I would freshen up a bit beforehand."

Selena stepped into her gown, unwittingly providing Liam with a perfect silhouette of her breast through the clinging chemise. Her nipple stood proudly erect atop a deliciously rounded breast, and a tiny pained groan escaped from Liam's throat. She glanced over her shoulder and saw the direction of his gaze.

"Don't stand there gawking at me! You could at least have the decency to turn the other way, since you've already intruded on my privacy."

Liam reluctantly turned toward the door as he fought down his lust. "You've gotten awfully demanding for someone who was refusing to take the cabin a short while ago."

"Yes well, I'm learning from you. That's all you've been doing is ordering me around." She sighed with relief. "Alright, you can turn around, I'm decent."

She was more than decent in the blue dress. She looked feminine and pretty and oh so delectable, but Liam refrained from saying so. Instead, he cleared his throat and addressed the issue he had come to discuss.

"Listen, Selena. I've been thinking, and I've decided we should get married."

Selena sat down abruptly on the bed and stared at him in amazement. "What? Have you taken leave of your senses? You're the last man I would think of marrying."

Despite the fact that her statement corresponded with his earlier thoughts about her, Liam felt himself bristling. "Well, you're no peach yourself, Miss Darcy, and I certainly don't want to be married to you."

"Good, we're agreed then."

Liam took a calming breath to keep from throttling her. "No, we're not agreed. I've been thinking about it, and it's the only way we can travel together and protect your reputation without raising suspicions. Let's face it, no one is going to believe that you're my sister."

"So what you are saying is that I should give up my freedom just because you can't control your lust?"

"As I recall, you were kissing me back out there on the deck for anyone to see. Not exactly sisterly behavior was it?" he needled.

"Oooh!" she screeched again. "You are a cad after all. I might have known you would blame me for that kiss even though it was you who grabbed me."

"As a matter of fact . . ." Liam stopped midstream, realizing that they were getting more and more off topic. He took a calming breath and folded his hands behind his back to keep from giving her a good shake. "Please, just hear me out." He walked to the window and looked out at the late afternoon sun. "I think it would be best if we married, in name only. That way, we could travel together alone without damaging your reputation, and when we reach Oregon, we can have the vows annulled." He waited for her reaction and the moments ticked by in silence. When he couldn't stand the tension any longer, he turned to face her. Selena was frowning, apparently lost in thought. "Well, what do you think?"

Selena couldn't tell him what she thought, because her feelings made no sense, even to her. On the one hand, his suggestion to get married had made her heart leap with strange excitement. As much as she would like to deny it, she found Liam very attractive. On the other hand, he was the most infuriating man she had ever met. She settled on attack as the best form of defense.

"I think that you must think I'm an idiot. Do you actually expect me to believe that once I marry you, you won't try to sleep with me?" She raised a haughty brow to stare at him expectantly. "If I agreed to marry you, then technically, I become your property. You could force me to do something I don't want to do."

Her accusation stung Liam's pride. "I assure you, Selena, I don't want to be stuck with you for a wife, so I will make damned sure to avoid consummating the vows with you. It will be a relief to get to Oregon so that I can get rid of you." The words were said in anger, and Liam regretted them as soon as they were out of his mouth.

Selena rose and reached for her suitcase. "Don't bother Mr. McKenzie. I'll find some other way to get to Oregon."

Liam's hand was there to stop her. "No, wait. Selena, I'm sorry. I didn't mean that the way it sounded. I'm willing to escort you to Oregon. I'm just trying to say that the marriage will only be temporary."

"There isn't going to be a marriage, Mr. McKenzie. Not after you have stated so clearly how you feel about me."

"Dammit, I don't feel anything about you!" There he went again, putting his foot in his mouth. What was it about this woman that made him such a bumbling ass? "What I meant is that I don't dislike you."

Selena crossed her arms and faced him, raising that same haughty brow. "Well, that's certainly a good basis for a marriage," she drawled.

"Don't play coy. You know what I'm trying to say. Now unless you have a better suggestion, getting married seems to be our only way out of this mess." He waited for her reaction, but she just stood with lips pursed in displeasure. "Selena, with your permission, I will speak to the captain and arrange for him to marry us."

Selena didn't know what to say. She had been daydreaming about this man. Perhaps this would be her opportunity to test the waters. Her biggest fear was that she would find the swimming pleasant and he wouldn't. If she fell in love with him and then he insisted on an annulment...was she willing to take the chance?

"Well?" he prompted her. "Should I speak to the captain?"

"Alright, Mr. McKenzie, but just remember your promise. I don't intend to become your plaything once the vows are spoken."

"Good, we're agreed. I'll be back as soon as possible."

He left without another word, and Selena collapsed on the bed once more. She waited for a feeling of dread, but none came. Over the years, she had learned to trust her instincts about people, and for whatever reason, she trusted Liam. She felt certain he wouldn't take advantage of her.

The more she thought about it, she had nothing to lose. If affection started to grow between them, she would end up with the husband of her dreams. If love never blossomed, she would be free to go her own way once an annulment was granted. Either way, it would make for an interesting journey!

It seemed like hours before Liam returned to fetch Selena. "The captain has agreed to marry us right away. I convinced him that it was a matter of some urgency. Are you ready?"

Selena took a deep breath and nodded. "Yes, we may as well get this over with."

Liam tamped down his irritation at the remark. She didn't have to make it sound as if marrying him would be so unpleasant! "Come on then."

He took her hand in his and led her to where the captain and his first mate were standing near the pilot house. Pulling Selena forward, Liam made the introductions. "Captain Harris, this is Selena Darcy."

The captain was an older man with gray hair, thick sideburns and a beard and mustache. His twinkling blue eyes took in Selena's lovely features, and he gave her a wink before turning back to Liam.

"Mr. McKenzie, I can certainly see why you are so anxious to marry the girl. I would find her too much of a temptation myself, if I were twenty years younger."

Liam flushed and refused to meet Selena's gaze as he cleared his throat nervously. "I knew you would understand, sir."

Captain Harris smiled down at Selena kindly. "And are you entering into this marriage willingly, my dear?"

"Yes, I am," Selena stated firmly.

"Fine then. Mr. Gibbons, would you please stand as witness?" When the first mate stepped forward, Captain Harris withdrew a small bible from his jacket and smiled at them both. "Join hands please."

Selena didn't notice anything other than Liam as the ceremony was performed. She heard the vows as if from a distance, and when it was her turn to answer, her voice was clear and unwavering. Her hand tingled from the contact of Liam's hand, and she was struck by how tiny and frail her hand appeared clasped in his. She noticed details of his appearance that she hadn't before, such as the tiny scar just below his left ear, the way his tawny hair appeared almost golden in the fading sunlight, and the translucence of his hazel eyes. It seemed like no time had passed before the ceremony was concluded.

"What God has joined together, let no man put asunder. Mr. McKenzie, you may kiss your bride," the captain said with a grin.

Liam gave her only a brief kiss, and Selena was disappointed when he raised his head. She couldn't read the expression in his eyes before he turned away. Both Liam and Selena were called upon to sign the marriage certificate, and then Captain Harris sealed the document, completing the legalities. He rolled up the paper and handed it to Liam.

"There you are, son. You are officially man and wife."

"Thank you Captain Harris. You've done us a great service," Liam smiled.

"It was my pleasure. I hope you enjoy a long and happy marriage."

"Thank you, sir," Liam murmured as he shook hands with the captain and the first mate before leading Selena to the dining room. He tucked the certificate in the pocket of his jacket and then held her chair as she sat. Settling himself in the seat opposite, Liam sighed.

"Well, that's done. Now we can relax. No one will have any reason to criticize us for traveling together."

"Um hmm," Selena murmured. She knew that they would receive plenty of criticism if people knew the marriage was a sham, but she refrained from saying so.

They ordered dinner and were surprised when the waiter brought a bottle of champagne to their table. "Compliments of the Captain," he said, pouring them each a glass and leaving the bottle in a bucket of ice.

The waiter withdrew and Liam cleared his throat nervously before raising his glass. "What should we drink to?"

Selena frowned thoughtfully. "May we each find happiness when we reach Oregon, and may we have a pleasant journey getting there."

"Hear, hear," Liam laughingly agreed. They touched their glasses and he drank deeply as he watched her sip her wine.

Selena had never tasted champagne before, and it tickled her nose, causing her to cough. Color flooded her cheeks, as she laughed at herself. "My, that's nice." She took another sip, this time knowing what to expect, and laughed with pleasure.

Liam smiled at her, realizing that this was the first time he had heard her laugh. They both relaxed, and surprisingly, the dinner was passed in agreeable companionship. They finished the champagne, and Liam was amused to see that Selena was quite tipsy. She obviously didn't have a head for spirits. By the time they returned to their cabin, she was giggling and leaning heavily against his side.

Liam hugged her against him so that she wouldn't fall down while he closed and bolted the door. He ignored the feeling of her body pressed against his and leaned over to strip the top blanket back from the bed. He laid her down and removed her shoes before lifting her feet onto the bed.

"Ahhh," she sighed, curling on her side in the bed. "That was a lovely dinner."

"Yes, it was," Liam replied with honesty. "It's the first time we've spent today that we weren't arguing, and I only had to get you drunk to accomplish it."

Selena giggled, and her eyes began to get droopy. "Goodnight, husband," she said with a yawn.

"Goodnight, wife."

Liam couldn't help but smile at her as she promptly fell asleep. She looked so vulnerable and charming that he was tempted to squeeze in bed beside her, but he knew that would only lead to disaster. Instead, he tucked a blanket around her and used the second blanket to make a pallet on the floor.

He lay there for a long time, listening to her breathing in the darkness. Her intoxicating scent hung in the air of the tiny cabin, and even in the darkness, he could clearly imagine her delicate features. His wicked imagination conjured the memory of other things, lithe thighs, a tempting bottom, and the most succulent breasts he had ever had the pleasure to see.

Trevor squirmed on his pallet, trying to ignore his painful erection. He wished he could leave the cabin and search out a game of cards or some other diversion, but he knew that would look mighty suspicious on his wedding night, so he stayed where he was. It was a long time before he was able to fall asleep.

**********

Selena awoke the following morning with a splitting headache. She groaned and closed her eyes against the bright morning sun, wishing she could just go back to sleep. Remembering the night before, she groaned again, this time from embarrassment. Her dress was crumpled and there was a stain on the bodice where she had spilled something on herself during dinner. She could only imagine what her hair looked like, since she didn't have a mirror. Reaching up, she groaned yet again, feeling strands of hair coming loose from the braids to fly in disarray around her head. She felt a definite need to clean herself up and change clothes before Liam saw her looking like this.

He had already risen and left the cabin, but Selena had no idea how long he had been gone or when he might return. She remembered to bolt the door to ensure her privacy, and she hurriedly washed herself with a small cloth and basin in the corner of the cabin. Feeling somewhat refreshed, she hurriedly dressed, trying not to aggravate her headache by any sudden movements. She unbraided her hair and began to brush it, enjoying the feel of the stiff bristles massaging her scalp. The doorknob jiggled and then there was a knock on the door that seemed too loud, and the voice even louder.

"Selena, it's Liam. Let me in."

Selena unbolted the door and sat back down on the edge of the bed as Liam entered the room. "Alright, alright," she grumbled testily. "You don't have to yell."

Liam eyed her with amusement when he saw her wince. It was clear that the effects of the champagne had left her a little worse for wear this morning. As she resumed brushing, he realized that he hadn't known how long her hair was, as he had only seen her wearing it up. He was fascinated by the way it shimmered as she brushed it into thick flowing waves that hung past her waist, and he wondered whether it would feel as soft as it looked. The dress she wore was plainer than the blue. There was no lace trim, but the garment fit her well. The fabric was light pink, printed with darker pink roses, and it looked like it would normally have complemented her fair complexion, but this morning, she looked pale, almost ashen.

haremgirl
haremgirl
1,359 Followers