Trailing Home Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
haremgirl
haremgirl
1,359 Followers

Clearing his throat, he tore his gaze from her hair and turned to look out the window. "I came to see if you wanted to eat some breakfast."

The thought of food made Selena shiver with disgust, and she grimaced as she answered. "No, thank you. I think I'll just walk outside a bit, get some fresh air."

Liam hid his grin. "Aren't you feeling well?" he asked politely.

Selena concentrated on braiding her hair. She was reluctant to admit the extent of her discomfort this morning, it was simply too humiliating. Their first night as man and wife, and she had gotten drunk. He must think her a silly child. "I feel fine. I'm just tired."

"That's good," Liam said, this time not trying to hide his amusement as he turned back to her with a grin. "For a moment there, I thought you had too much to drink last night."

Selena gave him a narrow eyed glare and then winced at the effort. "You don't have to be such a smart aleck about it," she ground out. "I've never drank wine before, much less champagne. I didn't realize it was so potent."

Liam's smile only broadened. "Well, let that be a lesson to you, take it easy on the spirits from now on."

"Thanks for the advice," she grumbled. Turning her back, she finished braiding the long strands and wound the braids on top of her head, deftly securing the ends. When she was finished, she faced him once again, looking pale but tidy once more.

Liam was somewhat relieved that she had finished with her hair. When it was unbound and shimmering around her, it gave him too many ideas. Gesturing toward the door, Liam gave her an expectant look. "Shall we?"

"Yes, but wait just a moment please." Selena rummaged around in her suitcase and withdrew a wad of money. She held it out to him, meeting his eyes. "Here is the money I owe you, two hundred and fifty dollars. I thought you should have it now so that you can buy any extra supplies we will need for the trip, now that I'm coming with you."

Liam shook his head, making no effort to take the money. "Selena, put that away. I'm not going to accept your money. You're my wife."

"In name only," she reminded him. "Now take the money."

For some reason, her reminder about the status of their marriage irritated him more than her persistence. "Put the money away, I don't need it. I would have let you come with me even if you didn't have any money."

Selena placed an annoyed hand on her hip while still holding the money out toward him with the other. "Look Mr. McKenzie. I'm not some charity case. I always pay my own way, and we had a deal. Now take the money."

Realizing that she wasn't going to take no for an answer, Liam accepted the money and stuffed it impatiently in his pocket. He would return the money to her eventually, but there was no sense in spoiling her mood with an argument this morning. "Now, can we get out of here?"

Selena nodded and led the way outside. She blinked again as they emerged onto the deck. The sun seemed too bright for her liking. Liam seemed to understand her hesitation, and he gently took her arm as they began to stroll along the rail. It didn't escape Liam's notice that the few crewmembers they encountered were inclined to stare at Selena with appreciative eyes. He could now comprehend why she had hidden her charms while she worked as a barmaid. If she had worn proper clothes and kept her hair brushed neatly back from her face, she would surely have been overridden by amorous swains. Thinking of the gown she had worn in the pub, he frowned down at her.

"What happened to the dress you were wearing the first night I saw you," he inquired.

Selena's grimace attested to her dislike of the garment. "I threw it away. I always hated wearing it, but it was a necessity."

"Well I'm relieved to know that the rest of your wardrobe is more suitable."

Selena's cheeks turned a delicate pink. It was nice to know that Liam had noticed the change in her appearance. She noticed everything about him, and it reassured her to realize that her interest was returned. He was looking exceptionally handsome this morning, in a clean white shirt with the sleeves rolled up to his elbows and dark breeches that fit snugly over his lean hips and well-hewn thighs. His tanned skin contrasted with the shirt, and his hazel eyes sparkled in the sun. Realizing that he was speaking to her, she blinked rapidly.

"I'm sorry, what did you say?"

"I was asking whether you felt better in the fresh air."

Selena's cheeks turned a brighter pink, and she looked away. "Yes I do, thank you." Grasping for a way to shift his attention from her, she gestured lamely, "Surely you must have other things to do besides watch over me?"

"Not really," he smiled.

"Oh, well why don't you go and eat breakfast then?"

Liam grinned broadly, "I already did that too, while you were still sleeping. It's nearly ten o'clock."

By now, Selena's cheeks were burning with color. She was normally a very early riser, and hated for him to think she had been lazing around. She gestured dismissively as she looked out over the rail, avoiding his gaze. "Well, you don't need to hang around with me."

Selena looked particularly pretty with her flaming cheeks, and Liam felt the urge to hug her against him and soothe her embarrassment, but he thought better of it and gave a casual shrug. "I don't mind."

The morning was fine, and a cooling breeze drifted over them, causing Selena to sigh with relief. She stopped in a shaded spot and looked out toward the water behind them, unaware of how the wind plastered her skirts to her body, providing a clear outline of her buttocks, hips and thighs. Liam was not inclined to waste such a view, and he stood behind her, letting his eyes explore her very fetching backside. His enjoyment was interrupted by a throaty chuckle, and they both turned to see Captain Harris approaching.

"Good morning, Mr. and Mrs. McKenzie," he smiled. He gave Liam a wink. "I see that you are enjoying the sights."

Realizing that the Captain had caught him ogling his wife, Liam flushed and gave him a somewhat sheepish grin. "Indeed, sir. I've never before seen such lovely scenery. I find it hard to take my eyes off the view."

Liam and the Captain shared a laugh. Selena frowned as she looked between the two men and the river. While the surroundings were nice, she couldn't see anything spectacular about them, and she wondered what she was missing.

The Captain sobered, but there was still a twinkle in his eyes. "I trust the two of you enjoyed a pleasant evening."

Selena gave him a charming smile. "Yes, we did sir. We must thank you for the bottle of champagne. I had never tried it before and I quite enjoyed it."

Captain Harris gave her a slight bow. "It was my pleasure, my dear. Now, I must get back to my duties, so I will leave you two to enjoy the day." He touched his cap and made his departure.

Liam watched until the Captain had disappeared from view before he turned back to face Selena. He was relieved to notice that a healthy amount of color had returned to her ivory complexion. Liam brushed a stray lock of her hair behind one ear and saw a delicate flush rise in her cheeks. "You're looking better," he murmured huskily.

"Am I?"

Selena was mesmerized by the intent look in his eyes. Those flecks of green had returned to the hazel orbs, and they seemed to glow with warmth when they settled on her slightly parted lips. She stood still as he bent to kiss her. His lips were firm and warm, and she couldn't suppress a sigh.

Curious to see Liam's reaction, she stretched up on her tiptoes and pressed her lips more fully against his. She wasn't disappointed. Without pause, he wrapped his arms around her, bringing her body fully against his own, as his lips claimed hers with possessive fervor. Selena's knees wobbled, and she clung to him for support. She tangled her fingers in the slightly curled hair at the nape of his neck, and heard him groan when she lightly stroked him there.

Selena was intrigued and wanted to see whether Liam was just as susceptible to her as she was to him. She pressed herself even more intimately against him, letting her breasts rest against his chest. Liam's response was instant. He tightened his arms around her and one hand drifted down to the small of her back, fitting her against him from chest to knees. He released her lips to trail hot, open mouthed kisses down the side of her neck, and he released a growl of displeasure when his lips encountered her collar. They changed course and cruised to her earlobe, where he nibbled and licked until Selena felt weak.

"I want you," Liam growled, still kissing the sensitive flesh of her neck as he pressed his hips against her, insinuating one muscled thigh between her own. She could feel the hard ridge of his erection against her belly, and she gasped. "Let's go back to the cabin."

While Selena was tempted to satisfy his desires, she didn't want him to later blame her for seducing him. She wanted to win his affection and eventually his love, and she knew that wouldn't be possible if he felt trapped into a marriage that he didn't want. Selena frowned and pulled back, using her arms as a wedge to put some space between them.

"Ours is a marriage in name only, remember?"

Liam frowned at the reminder. He stared down into Selena's eyes, noticing how they looked more purplish than blue, and he thought absently that he could get lost in those eyes. He couldn't recall any of the reasons he had wanted to remain a bachelor, and he found it irritating that Selena could keep a cool head while his was spinning. His frown deepened as he reluctantly released her and stepped back. He needed to put some distance between them if he was going to be able to think straight.

Liam cleared his throat and looked away. "Perhaps I should go. I wanted to have a look around the ship."

Selena stifled a sigh of disappointment and gave him a nod. "Feel free. I'll just stay here for a while."

He hesitated a moment longer. "If you're sure you're alright then."

"Yes, of course. I'll be fine, just go and do . . ." she gave an airy wave of her hand, "whatever it is that you would normally do. Don't worry about me." Selena turned away and refused to meet his gaze. She eventually heard his retreating steps and she relaxed her rigid stance to lean against a post.

Her heart was still beating faster than normal as she thought about the last few moments. There was no doubt they were both attracted to each other, and Selena knew that for her to feel an attraction to a man was unique. Before meeting Liam, Selena had begun to wonder whether Jeb's attack had left her frigid, but that question had been firmly laid to rest. She trusted her intuition enough to realize that there was the potential for something special between her and Liam, but it would need time to grow.


Releasing a sigh, Selena let the sights and sounds soothe her spirit, and her headache finally went away completely. At a loss as to how to occupy her time, Selena wandered along the railing, taking in the scenery. She would be stuck on board for the weeklong trip to Independence, and she wondered dismally how she would avoid going insane from boredom. She rounded a corner and froze in her tracks. Liam was standing only a few feet away, with his back to her, and he was not alone.

A gorgeous young woman stood before him, looking up at him coquettishly through her dark lashes. She had deep auburn hair and bright blue eyes, and she was smiling delightedly at something he had said. Selena noticed that the other woman's gown was of the latest design, and the fabric was fine quality muslin. It was white with tiny blue flowers printed on it, and a wide blue velvet sash spanned the woman's tiny waist. Her bosom was full, even generous, and just a hint of cleavage showed. Her matching bonnet was tied at a jaunty angle beneath her chin with the same blue velvet, and as she listened intently to Liam, she placed a gloved hand on his arm and laughed. She looked alluring and feminine and as fresh as spring. Selena hated her on sight. She strained to hear what the woman was saying.

"Oh, well then you must know the Boyd family?" she inquired in honeyed tones.

"Yes, of course. They're our neighbors in Oregon, and we helped Matthew to raise a new barn last spring."

"Oh, that's wonderful," she cooed, while a well manicured finger toyed with the neckline of her dress. "Well, I'm Natasha Boyd, Matthew's niece. My family and I are traveling out to Oregon to settle nearby. Uncle Matt said there is plenty of rich farmland near him that still hasn't been claimed. Is that true Mr. McKenzie?"

Liam nodded. "Yes, Miss Boyd. Oregon is truly a land of opportunity for anyone willing to put in some effort."

Natasha's smile was sugary sweet as she looked up at Liam. "Well, I'm delighted that we will soon be neighbors, Mr. McKenzie, and it's such a relief to know that we will have a strong, capable man such as yourself traveling with us if we should have a need for assistance."

Selena narrowed her eyes as she watched the other woman run her fingers suggestively along Liam's sun bronzed arm while looking up at him through her lashes. Selena felt a possessive urge to march up to them and stake her claim as Liam's wife, but she couldn't very well do that when she knew their marriage wasn't real. Liam hadn't pledged his loyalty to her, but it pricked Selena's pride to think how quickly he had found someone else to flirt with. She swung on her heel and stalked back to their cabin, her enjoyment of the morning completely destroyed.

She paced in the tiny confines of the cramped cabin, feeling caged and restless. She was going to have to tread more carefully if she wanted to guard against being hurt. While she wished that her relationship with Liam might blossom into a true marriage, it was far from certain. There was no sense in letting her hopes get too high.

Selena didn't see Liam again until lunchtime. He reappeared to see if she wanted to eat with him, but she declined the invitation. Her appetite had not returned since the previous evening.

"Are you alright?" he inquired with a frown.

"I'm quite alright, thank you. I just don't feel like eating anything right now." She refused to meet his eye, staring out the window instead.

"Would you like me to bring you back something then?"

"No, thank you."

"Well, you need to eat something," he insisted. "You're tiny as a mite as it is. If you don't eat something, you're likely to blow away on the first strong wind."

Wanting only to get rid of him, she flung up a hand. "Fine, bring me something if you want, and I'll eat here."

Wondering at her sour mood, Liam frowned. "Why don't you try to get some rest? It might make you feel better."

"Maybe I could if you would leave me alone," she snapped.

"Alright, alright, I'm going. There's no need to be so testy." Liam left and closed the door behind him.

Selena released a deep sigh as she heard Liam's departing footsteps. She wasn't going to win his affections by behaving like a waspish shrew. She would have to get a hold on her temper and cultivate some patience if she were going to have any chance of making a go of their marriage.

Her abrupt change of mood had Liam shaking his head. "What's gotten into her?" he muttered as he made his way to the dining room. The small room was already crowded by the twenty or so passengers aboard, and Liam stood just inside the doorway, looking for an unoccupied table.

"Oh, Mr. McKenzie, please join us," Natasha Boyd called out from a corner table.

Liam made his way across to her, and Natasha made the introductions to her father Gerald, her mother Marcia and her sister Susan. It was clear to Liam that Natasha took after her mother, for the older woman had similar features, but her auburn hair was heavily streaked with grey. Still, the woman could have passed for much younger than her age. Gerald was slightly balding, with heavy patches of grey at his temples. He was dressed in a business suit, but it was evident from his physique that he had led an active life. Susan looked more like her father, with her light blue eyes and brown hair. She was pretty, but didn't have the dramatic beauty of her sister. Where Natasha was overtly flirtatious, Susan hung back, friendly but quiet as she gave Liam a shy smile.

Liam gave them each a nod of greeting. "Are you sure you don't mind if I join you?"

"Not at all, we were just sitting down to eat and there's plenty of room for one more." Natasha's eager comment was followed by assenting murmurs from the rest of her family and Natasha smiled as she patted an empty seat beside hers. Liam took the proffered chair.

The meal was passed pleasantly, with the Boyd family insisting that Liam tell them all about Oregon and the trip ahead of them. He was happy to satisfy their curiosity, and he had them all laughing as he told them about the trials that he and his brothers had faced when they made their crossing and were first getting established.

"So, Mr. McKenzie, your brothers are married?" Natasha inquired, batting her eyelashes at him.

"Yes they are," Liam smiled. This woman would fit in perfectly with the other young ladies in Oregon, he was sure. Her head was full of the same sort of nonsense. "They are both happily settled, and have been pestering me to take a wife."

Natasha gave a small laugh. "Well, I, for one, am certainly glad you've resisted them and remained single."

Liam's smile deepened, and he cleared his throat. "As a matter of fact, I have taken a wife. We were married just yesterday."

"What?" Natasha's normally soft voice suddenly sounded strident. "Why haven't you mentioned your wife before?"

Liam hated to admit that he wasn't used to being a married man, and he still thought of himself as a bachelor unless reminded otherwise. "I guess the subject just didn't come up until now." Natasha's parents were quick to offer their congratulations on the marriage, and their comments smoothed over the awkward moment.

"Did you come back east to get married, Mr. McKenzie?" Gerald asked.

"No, not exactly, sir. My wife and I just happened to meet, and we hit it off," Liam replied.

"How did you meet?" Susan asked, obviously hoping to hear a romantic tale of the event.

Liam shifted a bit uncomfortably in his chair, "Well, it was by accident really. I went to a restaurant where she happened to be a waitress, and we just sort of...well, you know...I liked her."

Natasha's shock was obvious, and she made no attempt to soften her remarks. "Do you mean to say that your wife was working as a waitress? That's dreadful!"

Mrs. Boyd gave her daughter a stern look. "Don't be rude, dear."

Liam's eyes had taken on a flinty hardness as he looked at Natasha. "I actually found it quite refreshing that she was such a hard worker. That's just the kind of woman I need for a wife, someone who can be a helper." As he said it, he realized the truth of the words.

Recognizing her blunder, Natasha hastened to smooth it over. "Well, I didn't mean there was anything wrong with working, it just took me by surprise, that's all." Natasha's voice trailed off.

"Where is your wife, Mr. McKenzie?" Mrs. Boyd inquired. "I should be pleased to make her acquaintance."

"She wasn't feeling that well, so she's resting in our cabin. I'm sure you will have an opportunity to meet her soon," Liam smiled.

"We shall all look forward to that," Mrs. Boyd stated kindly, though it was obvious from Natasha's mutinous pout that she didn't agree with her mother's statement.

Liam rose and gave them a slight bow. "It has been a pleasure dining with you folks. I should get back to my wife. I promised her I would bring her something to eat," he said, holding up a small tray of food the waiter had just delivered to their table.

haremgirl
haremgirl
1,359 Followers